Page 3 of 5
First world problems, yo.
An by world. I mean 'Murica.
And by problems, I mean sarcasm.
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Quote by element4433
You paid for a footlong, not a 12" sub. See the difference?

The term footlong clearly implies that the sandwich is a foot long. Saying 'Oh well, we never intended it to mean that the sandwich was 12" long' is like saying 'Well, our Vegetarian sandwich was never meant to imply that it didn't contain any meat'.

Quote by Bob_Sacamano
Well it definitely happens but I dunno about soda since so many people know the oz amount for them. Like you know those little bumps in the bottom of cylindrical products, like peanut butter? Those are so they don't have to be filled, man. And they're getting bigger. Saw it on the Today show years ago.

Fairly certain it's so they stack better, actually.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by Todd Hart
The term footlong clearly implies that the sandwich is a foot long. Saying 'Oh well, we never intended it to mean that the sandwich was 12" long' is like saying 'Well, our Vegetarian sandwich was never meant to imply that it didn't contain any meat'.
They could say "Footlong is an estimate. It's supposed to be around a foot, but we never said that it measured out to be exactly one foot."

I'm not saying that's right or ethical business. Just that the people suing don't really have much of a case against them.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Honestly though, its more like a 9 inch sub once you tally in the inch on either side that they skimp on.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
In this case, a foot is probably used as a nominal size (think two by four lumber). Pizzas usually bake to less than their quoted diameter, too.

This lawsuit is bullshit, as lawsuits generally are, but honest weights and measures are a good thing.

There has been a good deal of product downsizing lately, which is nearly as slimy as altering the units.
Quote by Dodeka
Oh yeah; food should usually be measured by weight anyway.

Only if it's packaged/pre-prepared.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Idk, I've been to a few buffet/cafeteria type places that sell you food by the ounce. They're the bizzle nizzle.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
Well it definitely happens but I dunno about soda since so many people know the oz amount for them. Like you know those little bumps in the bottom of cylindrical products, like peanut butter? Those are so they don't have to be filled, man. And they're getting bigger. Saw it on the Today show years ago.

You're stupid. Concave surfaces are stronger than flat ones.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Your post was the only bright spot in this disgusting piece of thread.

Quote by lexanirider78
You have balls. I like balls....(awkward silence)

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I waited for the rape.

...but the rape never came
Quote by hriday_hazarika
Subway needs to introduce free inch-long subs for those who have been wronged.

Best idea ever.
STಠ_ಠ
Quote by Todd Hart
Only if it's packaged/pre-prepared.

Fast food nutritional information, including Subway's, starts with the weight of the item. While there'll still be variance, this is probably the controlling measure.
Quote by Todd Hart
It's not a sub with all the things I asked and paid for, it's a sub that's missing an inch of what I asked and paid for.

The whole point is that both are equally cases of false advertising. Neither is a health hazard or the like, but both are false advertising.

Yes, but serving different food is much worse.

What if you serve someone with a food allergy a food they are allergic to, without telling them it's a different item from what they ordered?

That's much more of an issue, a could easily become a health hazard.

I'm not arguing that they aren't both false advertising, but comparing the two doesn't make a lot of sense. They're very different scenarios, with very different consequences.

You aren't going to make someone ill, or potentially kill them, by serving them a sub that's slightly smaller than what they ordered.

Maybe use a comparison like, "I ordered a quarter pound burger, but it was a few ounces less than a quarter of a pound."

Much better comparison.
Quote by daytripper75

Maybe use a comparison like, "I ordered a quarter pound burger, but it was a few ounces less than a quarter of a pound."

That brings up a good point. Nearly every time I've heard of burgers being advertised by weight, it's always pre-cooked weight. Why should Subway be any different with the length of their dough? It's 12 inches long before it's baked, and shrinks during cooking.
Quote by jimmy hendrix 2
Don't argue with my new deity.
Quote by daytripper75

A few ounces less than four ounces?

j/k - I know what you mean.
Quote by wyldething
That brings up a good point. Nearly every time I've heard of burgers being advertised by weight, it's always pre-cooked weight. Why should Subway be any different with the length of their dough? It's 12 inches long before it's baked, and shrinks during cooking.

Bread typically expands when you bake it, so I'm not sure that argument would work.
Quote by daytripper75
Bread typically expands when you bake it, so I'm not sure that argument would work.

Upward expansion tends to draw the edges in. I've seen Subway employees putting dough in their bread molds, and the dough seems to stretch the entire length pretty well. I'm not sure it spans the whole length post-bake, though.
Quote by jimmy hendrix 2
Don't argue with my new deity.
Quote by wyldething
Upward expansion tends to draw the edges in. I've seen Subway employees putting dough in their bread molds, and the dough seems to stretch the entire length pretty well. I'm not sure it spans the whole length post-bake, though.

Fair point. It could be that.
It's probably a way for them to save money by cutting out an inch of dough.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by element4433
It's probably a way for them to save money by cutting out an inch of dough.

Oh wait, is that what this is all about?
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Your post was the only bright spot in this disgusting piece of thread.

Quote by lexanirider78
You have balls. I like balls....(awkward silence)

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I waited for the rape.

...but the rape never came
I work at Subway, and I find this hilarious, but ridiculous at the same time.

The way the bread is cooked will really determine whether it ends up being 12 inches long. How long the bread is left to proof, the way it's scored, and I'm sure different ovens will produce different results. If the bread wasn't left long enough to rise, it will most definitely be less than a foot, but if it's left to rise too long, it will be over a foot long and will also be very flaky. Making bread is a science.

Also, subway doesn't make their dough in the store. It's comes frozen in boxes. 70 pieces to a box and we don't trim any dough off them as it would just be a waste of money.

I actually work tonight, I can show you a picture of what it looks like.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Last edited by IMABBALLPLAYER at Jan 26, 2013,
I never though they were even that close to a foot long, I just ate them
Quote by KiLLSWiTCH-KnoT
it's like I make threads knowing they're gonna be shit but I make them anyway

Quote by kertets
Wire his sack to the electrical socket the next time, little fucker will be shootin lightening bolts all over the house.
Quote by wyldething
Would you really value an 11 inch sandwich at 11/12 of the price? I call bullshit. The $5 price-point would absolutely stick, even if it were a 10 inch sandwich.

I pay 6 euros for a footlong, not 5 dollars. So it reduces the price 50 cents for me. 52 times per year.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by IMABBALLPLAYER
I work at Subway, and I find this hilarious, but ridiculous at the same time.

The way the bread is cooked will really determine whether it ends up being 12 inches long. How long the bread is left to proof, the way it's scored, and I'm sure different ovens will produce different results. If the bread wasn't left long enough to rise, it will most definitely be less than a foot, but if it's left to rise too long, it will be over a foot long and will also be very flaky. Making bread is a science.

Also, subway doesn't make their dough in the store. It's comes frozen in boxes. 70 pieces to a box and we don't trim any dough off them as it would just be a waste of money.

I actually work tonight, I can show you a picture of what it looks like.

The real George would rage over this 1 inch, just out of principle.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by MadClownDisease
From the article:

"This is no different than if you bought a dozen eggs and they gave you 11 or you bought a dozen doughnuts and they gave you 11," said attorney Tom Zimmerman, who is representing Buren. "Here, you bought a dozen inches of sandwich and you got less than 11. It's no different, and yet you're paying for 12."

It might seem petty, but if they're systematically misselling products, then yeah they have right to pursue legal action. Big chains always try to cut down to save on costs (1 inch per sandwich makes an entire bread saved per 12 sold), but if they're specifically calling these footlong sandwiches...

but that's not true, because that's not really how bread works. the shape conforms to the tray its put into. it wouldn't cost them much at all to add .5 inches to either side, it would just make the sandwich unwieldy
Quote by captaincrunk
but that's not true, because that's not really how bread works. the shape conforms to the tray its put into. it wouldn't cost them much at all to add .5 inches to either side, it would just make the sandwich unwieldy

Why dont they extend the tray too?
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by daytripper75

imagine a ball of sponge that has been flattened out. now you let it expand with water, and the diameter (if viewed from above) would be smaller. if viewed from the side it'd be taller. It's just a matter of perspective
Quote by Neo Evil11
Why dont they extend the tray too?

that's what I just said, they could do that and it wouldn't cost much (aside from having to buy thousands, maybe millions of breadpans and new ovens that were slightly wider). but why do that? It wouldn't be any more food to the consumer, and the bread wouldn't be as thick
Quote by captaincrunk
that's what I just said, they could do that and it wouldn't cost much (aside from having to buy thousands, maybe millions of breadpans and new ovens that were slightly wider). but why do that? It wouldn't be any more food to the consumer, and the bread wouldn't be as thick

? If they add more 0.5 inch more bread dough to it and made the trays bigger, then we would have bigger bread, or am I crazy?
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Dirge Humani

Oh look at that, them advertising the sandwich is 1 foot long. But no, its OK when companies make false advertisements because **** the justice system its so overabused, amiriteguys?

yes.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
I hate the five dollar footlong deal anyway, you have EXTREMELY limited options for the five dollar deal. Black Forest Ham, Cold Cut Como, BLT, that's about it I always get the expensive shit like buffalo chicken or steak. I'm not huge on subway though, I prefer Jimmy Johns.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by jetfuel495
*pre-cooked weight

Ok, i dont know. Havent had meat in 3 years.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Haven't really read the arguments in the thread, but having worked in Subway, this is a bit of a non-issue. My first reaction was that it's simple misrepresentation. But thinking about it a bit more, the thing that regulates the size of the bread is the container, not the dough sticks. There's enough of margin of error so that the same dough stick could be baked anywhere between 10-14 inches depending on the container.

So even though they advertise it as a footlong and it's only 11 inches, if they fixed the issue, you wouldn't get any more bread, you'd just get the same dough that's risen a little bit more, the same amount of meat, the same amount of cheese, more salad if you ask for it, and the same steep price. Except they might put up the prices even more to cover the cost of changing the bread tray things and the oven and proofer (because they're all designed to fit the trays they have).

Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
People that make lawsuits over things like that should be euthanized.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.