Toasterpossum
32 IQ
Hey everyone, I'm kind of a newbie to this site. I'm 13 and have played ukulele for about a year (Just Blink-182, Green Day, Sum 41 stuff) and I want to try either a bass or guitar. Since the ukulele has four strings, would a bass be better for me? Or should I get a guitar, because I like to play leads for punk songs?

I'm getting a Fender for either bass or guitar.

Thanks, guys!
JustRooster
Internet Bully
7,166 IQ
Neither would be better or worse coming from ukulele. There is more volume of gear and better prices on gear in the guitar world, however, everybody and their mother plays guitar.

Bass is a bit more expensive and tight in the gear world, however, everybody and their mother needs a bassist. Plus, all the bassists I know like better music than the guitarists I know.

Quote by EyeNon15
Thats too bad, I was under the impression I was arguing something profound

Geldin
1,677 IQ
Get a bass. Play with the EQ until you can hit a natural harmonic on your E string that causes intense orgasms to everyone within the vicinity. Join a funk band. Dominate the universe.
Robbgnarly
Tab Contributor
1,177 IQ
the only instrument that is similar to the ukelele is the Mandolin. Yes the bass has 4 strings but they are tuned in a diffrent way than the uke is.

justRooster hit it on the head, everyone plays guitar. There are very few bass players out there
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Toasterpossum
32 IQ
Quote by terribleguitar
Not sure if serious...

Yeah dude. I'm serious.
Toasterpossum
32 IQ
Quote by Geldin
Get a bass. Play with the EQ until you can hit a natural harmonic on your E string that causes intense orgasms to everyone within the vicinity. Join a funk band. Dominate the universe.

I usually get annoyed by joke responses, but that was pretty funny.
Toasterpossum
32 IQ
Oh my goodness, thank you. That was one of the only serious responses I've gotten today. A friend of mine is starting a band, and he wants me to join once I've made my decision. I go to a really small school, and we've got two bass players and three guitar players, including him.
There's a girl who plays epic rhythm guitar, a dude who plays metal/punk drums, one of the bassists, then him, who plays lead guitar. Since there's already a bassist, I'm having trouble choosing.
jeleopard
Jackson Fanboy!
1,720 IQ
Quote by Toasterpossum
I usually get annoyed by joke responses, but that was pretty funny.

He's serious.

And bass gear isn't really expensive. You can get a $200 Squier and a $500 Ampeg amp and be fine. Squier basses seem to be better quality than their guitars.

But really, do what you want to do. Punk bass is really fun, imo. You can really just rock out and be loud and crazy.
Legion!
Original 1969 Fender Jazzmaster
Ibanez RG8
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
Schecter KM7
83 Gibson Explorer "Kimmy"
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
Ibanez SR485
Peavey 6505+ 112
Line 6 POD HD500
will42
UG's bassoon-master
1,093 IQ
Quote by Robbgnarly
the only instrument that is similar to the ukelele is the Mandolin. Yes the bass has 4 strings but they are tuned in a diffrent way than the uke is.

Ukulele isn't actually similar to mandolin at all. Mandolin is tuned the same way as a violin. Only ukuleles are tuned like a ukulele.

TS, play whichever one you like better. If you think you would rather play guitar, play guitar. If you would rather play bass, play bass. You can always pic the other up at a different point in time.
Strauss!
"I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way." - Gustav Mahler.

Quote by AeolianWolf
absolutely what will said

Yay, my first compliment!
JimmyCraig
Dazed and Confounded
1,077 IQ
Quote by Toasterpossum
Oh my goodness, thank you. That was one of the only serious responses I've gotten today. A friend of mine is starting a band, and he wants me to join once I've made my decision. I go to a really small school, and we've got two bass players and three guitar players, including him.
There's a girl who plays epic rhythm guitar, a dude who plays metal/punk drums, one of the bassists, then him, who plays lead guitar. Since there's already a bassist, I'm having trouble choosing.

You're not going to be in that school forever, don't make a decision based on your current circumstances, make it based on what direction you want to take in your life with music. Also, choose bass. I love bass. But if you want to be an egotistical person taking all the credit and thinks he's the best, choose guitar. Or don't listen to me, I'm just text.
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
1,956 IQ
People always want Bass players, you'd be in demand and as long as you practice you'll have the pick of the best bands in your area.

That being said, I do think that the guitar is a preferential instrument with a greater ability for you to express yourself, but then again, some people find different instruments easier than others.

As Rooster said, everyone plays guitar, but - hardly anyone plays it well. The vast, huge massive majority know how to play Wonderwall and a few other strumming songs, then you have a minority who do take it a bit more seriously and a lot of them don't play clean, don't learn theory, don't practice what they should, get stuck in ruts and familiar patterns and never ever have anyone to guide them and point our their mistakes.

The remaining minority are those who do try and correct mistakes, learn constantly, study guitarists, apply theory etc.

At your age you have a good opportunity to take the right steps and by the time you're old enough to start forming proper bands you'll be good and ready to start tearing it up!

If you do take up guitar stick at it, find a good teacher and profit!

You could learn both then whatever one you like the most you'll dedicate more time to. I'd say try them both if you're really undecided but if there's one clear preference just see how you get on with that.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Last edited by Mephaphil at Jan 27, 2013,
Bhaok
The evil old man
26 IQ
Find an inexpensive electric 6 string and bass. For the amp get a Yamaha THR10 which is a low volume guitar and bass amp that has tone that will put alot of full size amps to shame. Or just flip a coin and let George guide you down the musical path. What ever you decide rock on.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
jeleopard
Jackson Fanboy!
1,720 IQ
Quote by Bhaok
Find an inexpensive electric 6 string and bass. For the amp get a Yamaha THR10 which is a low volume guitar and bass amp that has tone that will put alot of full size amps to shame. Or just flip a coin and let George guide you down the musical path. What ever you decide rock on.

A 6 string bass for a kid who doesn't even know what he wants????? Uhm.
Legion!
Ibanez RG8
Schecter KM7
Ibanez SR485
Peavey 6505+ 112
Line 6 POD HD500
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
1,956 IQ
Quote by jeleopard
A 6 string bass for a kid who doesn't even know what he wants????? Uhm.

I think you should reread the post you quoted.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Toasterpossum
32 IQ
Quote by Bhaok

Thanks, I'll keep it in mind! That seems like the best of both worlds.
jeleopard
Jackson Fanboy!
1,720 IQ
Quote by Mephaphil
I think you should reread the post you quoted.

Ah. Missed the "and".
Legion!
Ibanez RG8
Schecter KM7
Ibanez SR485
Peavey 6505+ 112
Line 6 POD HD500
Offworld92
One among the fence.
7,563 IQ
Just throwing this out there, the new Peavey Vypyr II is a guitar and bass amp. Not sure what the price point will be, but should be pretty cheap.

With that in mind + to getting both. If you're in the US, Rondo Music is your friend. Some decent quality stuff for $100-150 a piece. Douglas in particular I can vouch for, not sure how SX compares.

I'd also like to add that guitar and bass are about the same costs... I mean, it's virtually exactly the same. Combos, amps and heads, guitars. There's good and crap for both instruments.

I mean... if anything, you can get away with a lot more, and use a lot less gear with bass.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jan 27, 2013,
Bhaok
The evil old man
26 IQ
Quote by Offworld92
Just throwing this out there, the new Peavey Vypyr II is a guitar and bass amp. Not sure what the price point will be, but should be pretty cheap.

With that in mind + to getting both. If you're in the US, Rondo Music is your friend. Some decent quality stuff for $100-150 a piece. Douglas in particular I can vouch for, not sure how SX compares.

I'd also like to add that guitar and bass are about the same costs... I mean, it's virtually exactly the same. Combos, amps and heads, guitars. There's good and crap for both instruments.

I mean... if anything, you can get away with a lot more, and use a lot less gear with bass.

I have seen some of the vids from NAMM on the new Peavey amps they do look interesting. But, I own a THR10 and if you do not need brain spattering volume it is one of the best new toys to come down the pipeline in years.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
JustRooster
Internet Bully
7,166 IQ
Quote by jeleopard
He's serious.

And bass gear isn't really expensive. You can get a $200 Squier and a $500 Ampeg amp and be fine. Squier basses seem to be better quality than their guitars.

But really, do what you want to do. Punk bass is really fun, imo. You can really just rock out and be loud and crazy.

Good bass gear is. I was purely a bassist for 4 years before I picked up guitar. I still have SVT GAS from time to time.

EDIT: Thought of something else. What kind of music do you like?

Also, have you tried other one, yet? You never know, you could walk into a music store and hate/love either-or.

Quote by EyeNon15
Thats too bad, I was under the impression I was arguing something profound

Last edited by JustRooster at Jan 27, 2013,
Alucard817
1,443 IQ
I play both bass and guitar, not very well mind you, but I do play them.

Personally I prefer bass. The way I look at the two is this:
Good guitarists get the fame and a good bass player gets the women to shake their asses.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
2,847 IQ
Do whichever you want more. I wouldn't choose based on what a band needs myself, I'd choose based on what I want to play.

Also, look for a used Ibanez SGR bass if you decide to get a bass. I can vouch for the Japanese made SGRs, they are awesome. I got mine for $100 in a pawn shop.
trashedlostfdup
diet coke fiend.
13,457 IQ
Quote by Toasterpossum

i like your enthusiasm, and its much refreshing, but it will take some blood sweat and tears for a while until you are ready for a band.

good luck. honestly i would go to a music store, grab a bass, feel it and you would likely know a few things, like how to hit a note. then grab a guitar. get what feels natural.

you have to make the decision on what you want to play, not us. although most of us probably play both to some degree.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.
RedMist
44 IQ
Bands are always looking for bass players, which is something to think about. I have to disagree with an above comment. Basses are not cheaper. In most cases a nice bass setup will be more expensive.
If I were you. I would buy an acoustic guitar and learn to play first. Yamaha makes a great entry level acoustic for around $300.
trashedlostfdup
diet coke fiend.
13,457 IQ
Quote by RedMist
Bands are always looking for bass players, which is something to think about. I have to disagree with an above comment. Basses are not cheaper. In most cases a nice bass setup will be more expensive.
If I were you. I would buy an acoustic guitar and learn to play first. Yamaha makes a great entry level acoustic for around $300.

i don't see how getting an acoustic would be what he wants. nor is it better/easier to learn on. all of the bands he listed used electric guitars, and electric bases. i would go for one of those.

OP just see what you like better. this really has to be your choice. and also there is no reason why you couldn't play both. at some point. whether it be a few months down the road or a few years.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7
Toasterpossum
32 IQ
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i like your enthusiasm, and its much refreshing, but it will take some blood sweat and tears for a while until you are ready for a band.

good luck. honestly i would go to a music store, grab a bass, feel it and you would likely know a few things, like how to hit a note. then grab a guitar. get what feels natural.

you have to make the decision on what you want to play, not us. although most of us probably play both to some degree.

Thanks for the suggestion, but again, I live in a small town. We don't have any music stores within a few hours.
RedMist
44 IQ
i don't see how getting an acoustic would be what he wants. nor is it better/easier to learn on. all of the bands he listed used electric guitars, and electric bases. i would go for one of those.

OP just see what you like better. this really has to be your choice. and also there is no reason why you couldn't play both. at some point. whether it be a few months down the road or a few years.[/QUOTE
I am a firm believer that you should learn the basics on an acoustic first. That's why many metal players are "exposed" when handed an acoustic.
The OP is only 13. Lots of time to do it the right way. $.02
ibacred
Plays the Geetar
955 IQ
What do you listen for when you here music with good guitar and bass? I always found myself listening to the guitar, then feeling the urge to play and follow along with it. That's why I chose guitar. Listening to bass never gave me that urge to play.

Also, try them both out. Basses are huge to me and just feel unatural, while a guitar feels 'correct'. Some people do play both though, but most favor one over the other.

And where do you guys live? We have a huge pool of bassists in my area but not many 'good' guitarists. The ones we do have are just teenage shredders who only want to play teh brootz.
The gear:

Carvin Bolt Classic
PRS SE Singlecut
Agile AL-1900
Peavey Vypyr 2
CarsonStevens
Rocksmith
688 IQ
What nobody's really touched on is that both instruments fill different roles within a band setting, and personally I feel that whichever instrument you choose should reflect the role you most want to play... with the knowledge that you can always branch out and try the other later. I started on guitar, and now I play both, and I love them equally.

Bass is the foundation of the band. You're down there with the drums, holding everything together with power and groove. It's not always flashy, but it has to be there. Guitar... well, guitar can be anything. Basically, do you want to be the dependable guy keeping the band solid or do you want to be the flashy guy up front chugging and/or widdling away?
jugglingfreak
UnBanned
66 IQ
Well, the tuning for a Uke is different (G-C-E-A is standard, I believe).

But that is not too difficult to overcome. Your Uke playing will probably give you a leg up on strumming.

apart from that
Quote by CarsonStevens
Basically, do you want to be the dependable guy keeping the band solid or do you want to be the flashy guy up front chugging and/or widdling away?

what he said..
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
1,956 IQ
Quote by RedMist
[

OP just see what you like better. this really has to be your choice. and also there is no reason why you couldn't play both. at some point. whether it be a few months down the road or a few years.[/QUOTE
I am a firm believer that you should learn the basics on an acoustic first. That's why many metal players are "exposed" when handed an acoustic.

Yea, I'm sure many acoustic, Bob Dylan and Van Morrison players shine when asked to play some Satriani.

If you aren't interested in acoustic then there's little point. It may have its uses but if people have well structured practice it doesn't matter what they learn on, as they're doing everything right anyway.

Personally I see them as different instruments for different genres, not all will apply to what you want to play so learn what applies and everything else is an added bonus. Focus on what you want to learn, that way you'll stay at maximum motivation.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Last edited by Mephaphil at Jan 28, 2013,
trashedlostfdup
diet coke fiend.
13,457 IQ
Quote by trashedlostfdup

do you teach? i have for two years now. students who do the best are the students that are playing what they want to play. most of my students started electric by choice, i have a few students on acoustics and thats find too. they learn well.

what is stupid to recommend a person something that they are not interested in. he listed pop punk bands, and for those particular bands use electrics. maybe he will say he is and if he is that is fine. but i wouldn't ever say to start on ______ first. tell them to start what they like.

i usually have around eight students, four of which have been with me since day one. two of which are developing well, but are still very new and the other two can be anything, one usually floats and isn't interested in the work that it takes to play.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7
AcidParadox
528 IQ
Quote by Connolluer
Also bass is only as boring as you make it. You could try writing your own tunes that make the bass more prominent, I have a hard time finding tunes that are fun to play that don't involve just copying the guitar part.

I- I don't understand. Are you an adbot? Should I report him?