Page 4 of 5
Quote by macashmack
I simply wish to teach my kid that if someone assaults them they should stand their ground and fight back. What's wrong with that?

Nothing wrong with defending yourself. However, you go to far. Defending yourself only goes so far as to doing the minimum you have to do to solve the problem. At the very point you exceed that point, you are now the aggressor. Why do you think we hate Israel?
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55
Is your grandfather Charlton Heston?

Okay i was kinda lying about the gun thing. But I'm serious about the solving problems on your own.
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55
Nothing wrong with defending yourself. However, you go to far. Defending yourself only goes so far as to doing the minimum you have to do to solve the problem. At the very point you exceed that point, you are now the aggressor. Why do you think we hate Israel?

You're right, but i still don't like going to the authorities. You should learn to solve your own problems.
Last edited by macashmack at Jan 28, 2013,
Quote by macashmack
I do think it's okay to shoot people for fucking up your stuff.

I sincerely hope you learn patience before you have kids. I can't speak from experience; but, if I learned one thing from lectures my father gave me, it's that kids will try your patience and beyond. Think of it like this, you just had a kid. He won't go to sleep (at a decent time anyway) and has been crying until 3AM each morning. You have to work at 9AM each morning, with an hour commute beforehand. So, you're getting 4 hours of sleep or less each night. You still have to perform well at work. You also have to be there for your wife, when you get home, or she will feel neglected and probably resentful. On top of that, she's barely getting any sleep. So...if that doesn't try your patience, tell me what will.

My point being, the whole "shoot people" attitude is NOT going to work with kids.

Also, if you teach your kids to fuck up the other guy, well...kids don't really know when it is and isn't ok. They don't get things like, "Never hit first". You can say it 100 times, and a kid might not get the concept. It's not that kids are stupid; they're not. It's that they are children. They are not developed, well-adjusted people.

Quote by macashmack
You should learn to solve your own problems.

Yes, but don't try teaching your 5 year old martial arts. They need to show that they can be responsible before you start teaching them things like martial arts. Also, it'd be better to teach "defensive martial arts". It's not about fucking up the other guy.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Jan 28, 2013,
Quote by macashmack
You're right, but i still don't like going to the authorities. You should learn to solve your own problems.

Dude, that's why we have the authorities. People get killed because common people take situations into their own hands.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Mom was chiding him for telling the kids to behave? WTF IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE?

Good! They deserved it.

Yup it was insane to see and my heart goes out to the dude as his chick appeared to be one of those living hell bitches.
Knowledge is power
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

Yes, but don't try teaching your 5 year old martial arts. They need to show that they can be responsible before you start teaching them things like martial arts. Also, it'd be better to teach "defensive martial arts". It's not about fucking up the other guy.

I disagree in the sense that I think learning martial arts properly will help your kid become a lot more disciplined. I started when I was 9 or so, though, so I wasn't quite that young.
My parents raised me to say sir and ma'am and I still do it instinctively to those above me. I've been told many times that I'm very polite, and it's helped me in job interviews. It makes you sound a lot more considerate than some snotfaced kid saying "yeah?!" or "nuh-uh".
Quote by WCPhils
According to that chart, women like men with a Pringle canister down there.
Michael Kelly Patriot Glory
Ibanez RG8
Blackstar HT 20 w/ Jet City cab
whole bunch o' pedals
Why not just teach them both self defense and how to go to higher ups / authorities.

Then really go for gold and be actual parents by teaching them how to properly identify the difference.

edit: Damn that was dickish
Knowledge is power
I went to Taekwondo when I was a teen. Those sort of martial arts are great cause it's fun, and it's drilled into you from the first that it's defensive. When you're sparring it's a friendly match to score points, not hurt the other.

But when I got in a fight my reflexs were fast. I did not want to get in the fight, so a simple block and punch to the face (seriously just reflex, I didn't want to hurt the guy) and it was done. No one messed with me then. Anyone who wanted to I'd simply state "I will not fight you".

My kids will not be taught Krav Maga or some seriously brutal stuff. I will teach them that they need to go to an authority figure to sort some stuff out, like bullying. But if someone attacks you, I would like them to be able to disable someone to get away.
Quote by macashmack
Okay i was kinda lying about the gun thing. But I'm serious about the solving problems on your own.

There's a difference between solving problems and creating more, bigger problems.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by element4433
There's a difference between solving problems and creating more, bigger problems.

Hurting certain people does not seem like a problem to me. It seems like a good deed to society.
Quote by boreamor
I went to Taekwondo when I was a teen. Those sort of martial arts are great cause it's fun, and it's drilled into you from the first that it's defensive. When you're sparring it's a friendly match to score points, not hurt the other.

But when I got in a fight my reflexs were fast. I did not want to get in the fight, so a simple block and punch to the face (seriously just reflex, I didn't want to hurt the guy) and it was done. No one messed with me then. Anyone who wanted to I'd simply state "I will not fight you".

My kids will not be taught Krav Maga or some seriously brutal stuff. I will teach them that they need to go to an authority figure to sort some stuff out, like bullying. But if someone attacks you, I would like them to be able to disable someone to get away.

Same but i was young like 6 when i started and i only went for a couple years. I didnt have the patience back then to grasp everything but till this day i still drop into a slight TKD stance when wrestling or fighting (real or play). I hold up the basic boxing look in fights just with a slight TKD touch in there.

Someone noticed and said something to me not too long ago as we circled ready to wrestle in fact.
Knowledge is power
Quote by macashmack
Hurting certain people does not seem like a problem to me. It seems like a good deed to society.

Going to prison for assault is a problem.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by macashmack

Society seems to disagree. The real deed to society would be to isolate you.

Hey crazysam, you think your dad can do a psychological evaluation over the internet?
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

Quote by TunerAddict

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Actually now that you mention it, I do too. Me and my mate were drunk and were play fighting (yeah, at 21 right? Embarrassing thing? It was at my Universitys Union). I always raise my right arm up and keep my left arm covering my leg, and pretty much bounce on the spot.

Pretty useful I think.
PURPOSELY not teaching your kids to swim and keeping them away from water. I didn't learn to swim until I was 16 because of that crap.
Quote by WCPhils
Ibanez RG8
whole bunch o' pedals
Quote by OfCourseNot
PURPOSELY not teaching your kids to swim and keeping them away from water. I didn't learn to swim until I was 16 because of that crap.
I think this is something that only applies to you.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by OfCourseNot

I've never understood that. Though my family has a pool and I've known how to swim since I was about 4, so it's always been like second nature.

When people tell me they can't swim it blows my mind.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by OfCourseNot

What? Why wouldn't they let you swim?
I dunno. The only thing that gets on my nerves is when parents treat their young kids like they're thick as shit. You don't have to lie about where the chicken on your plate came from for god sake.
Quote by willT08
I dunno. The only thing that gets on my nerves is when parents treat their young kids like they're thick as shit. You don't have to lie about where the chicken on your plate came from for god sake.

I'm cold enough to put it bluntly

"Where did the chicken come from daddy?"
"Tyson makes their farmers inject chicken birds with steroids and put them in a dark small coop until they're big enough to be eaten. Then they kill it."
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

Quote by TunerAddict

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by boreamor

I learned Muay Thai when I was 9. My dad wanted me to learn to properly defend myself since he figured TKD was pretty useless for that, even though he's a second degree black belt (I don't now about where you are, but these days they give out black belts and promotions in general like candy here just to keep people going to TKD, and my dad got his long before). I never bullied people with it, and the worst that happened was probably picking a fight or two that I didn't really need to get involved in.
Quote by macashmack
What? Why wouldn't they let you swim?

My mom almost drowned during a swimming lesson when she was young so she avoided letting us learn how. I don't like water now because of that. I can swim but I can't tread water. And because I didn't learn to swim until 16, I never liked (and still don't) pool parties or swimming for fun.
Quote by WCPhils
Ibanez RG8
whole bunch o' pedals
Quote by Avedas
I learned Muay Thai when I was 9. My dad wanted me to learn to properly defend myself since he figured TKD was pretty useless for that, even though he's a second degree black belt (I don't now about where you are, but these days they give out black belts and promotions in general like candy here just to keep people going to TKD, and my dad got his long before). I never bullied people with it, and the worst that happened was probably picking a fight or two that I didn't really need to get involved in.

Depends on how good of a school you go to
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

Quote by TunerAddict

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55
Depends on how good of a school you go to

I'm sure of that. TKD is really popular as sort of the thing you put your kids in, so most of them are tailored to that and it's kinda garbage.
Quote by Avedas
I disagree in the sense that I think learning martial arts properly will help your kid become a lot more disciplined. I started when I was 9 or so, though, so I wasn't quite that young.

Nothing wrong with a 9 year old learning it. But (hopefully) by age 9, most kids have shown that they can do things like study well in school and such. That shows responsibility.
I try not to judge other peoples parenting styles. Seeing a filthy kid does bother me though.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
I agree. Nothing stopped me from mouthing off better than an open-handed smack on the head. Hell, didn't even leave a mark (not even psychological, lib-fags), but it sure kept me from being a disrespectful asshole.

I see no evidence of that...

“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

Quote by TunerAddict

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by Arby911
I see no evidence of that...

I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy
Quote by The_Blode
^ I'm sorry your highness I forgot that I'm subhuman. . .

Quote by ErikLensherr
Normani
Normani
Normies
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
The other day I started teaching a class of 11 year olds in a morning lesson between 10 and 11am. This one girl told me she wasn't feeling well so could she sit out of the drama activity for today. I asked what was wrong and she told me she just felt really dizzy and light headed.

I asked her what she had for breakfast - "I don't really have breakfast".

"so you haven't had anything since last night?" "No, since lunchtime at school..."

She hadn't had anything to drink either so I had to ask another teacher to keep an eye on my class so I could get her some squash and biscuits. I think some parents need reminding that actually providing food and liquids to your child is vital.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
The other day I started teaching a class of 11 year olds in a morning lesson between 10 and 11am. This one girl told me she wasn't feeling well so could she sit out of the drama activity for today. I asked what was wrong and she told me she just felt really dizzy and light headed.

"so you haven't had anything since last night?" "No, since lunchtime at school..."

She hadn't had anything to drink either so I had to ask another teacher to keep an eye on my class so I could get her some squash and biscuits. I think some parents need reminding that actually providing food and liquids to your child is vital.

Ah...school...now I have a load of stuff to post on this [out of interest, are you a primary school teacher or secondary/grammar/comprehensive/whatever upper schools are called teacher?]

What really grinds my gears are the people who stand in the middle of the corridor, especially during high traffic times like moving between lessons. Also, students who keep talking when the teacher is actually trying to teach. Some of us actually want to learn stuff for our exams. Did their parents not teach them to consider others?
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Quote by Woffelz
Ah...school...now I have a load of stuff to post on this [out of interest, are you a primary school teacher or secondary/grammar/comprehensive/whatever upper schools are called teacher?]

What really grinds my gears are the people who stand in the middle of the corridor, especially during high traffic times like moving between lessons. Also, students who keep talking when the teacher is actually trying to teach. Some of us actually want to learn stuff for our exams. Did their parents not teach them to consider others?

Secondary comp. Not good enough at nose-wiping to teach the little ones.

Kids often forget that we can look up their parents' phone numbers and tell them what they do in lessons. They are all anonymous and can do what they want, as far as they're concerned.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

That's ridiculous
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Dreadnought
That's ridiculous

I know. I worry so much about those kids.

Luckily that particular girl is on FSM (free school meals) which means the school give her something proper and substantial every lunchtime. She won't be as well nourished after the holidays though.