Page 1 of 2
(I didn't think this thread belongs to GGA, so I place it long way down, in the Pit.)

I have an awesome low-budget stage show idea.
I am thinking about buying some cheap secondhand squier/ibanez guitars that (may or may not) look similar to my beloved axe, so (on a gig) when I'm playing a song in which I plan on smashing a guitar, I just switch the guitars, smash the cheap one, and take my beloved one to continue the show afterwards.

What do you think about this ingenious thought?
Quote by ChemicalFire
You get my first ever lolstack

The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point

Aw yeah.
Waste of a guitar that some homeless person could use to make money or some nerd could learn to play on.
There's always that chance that you're too weak to smash the guitar and end up looking like a bit of a pillock.
Silverburst
Is it really worth the £50+ it will cost?
Misha Mansoor:
Uplifting quote disguising failure as something to be proud of.
Quote by whoomit
Waste of a guitar that some homeless person could use to make money or some nerd could learn to play on.

Basically this.

I think it's kinda selfish to destroy something that could really help others.
I Have An Avant Garde Fetish....
Quote by Gantz92
Im in no way an amateur. I masturbate in public all the time.
Quote by Nelsean
I can get an erection just by looking at a plastic cup, or a river.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
Don't worry, rape will always find a back way in
It stopped being cool to smash your gear up in the 80's.
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
A lot of people won't like it around here because you're smashing a guitar and obviously somebody deserves it more than you. Think of the poor kids blah blah.... so don't expect anybody to think its cool.

You should consider pre cutting or weakening the guitar beforehand. Some guitars are a bitch to break.
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by Insanity ninja
There's always that chance that you're too weak to smash the guitar and end up looking like a bit of a pillock.

This.

Even cheap alder body squiers are hard as fck, i strongly suggest to buy cheaper uknown-branded stuff if you really want to break it, cheap squiers and ibanez are nicely crafted and often built to last.
PACIFIC/OCEAN
PACIFIC OCE/AN
PACIFIC OCEAN/
PACIFIC_OCEAN
PACIFIC OCEA_N
_PACIFIC OCEAN
Last edited by PacificOcean at Jan 28, 2013,
I can imagine TS trying to break the guitar and ending up either breaking equipment or pissing off the venue owner for screwing up the stage or something.
Quote by WCPhils
According to that chart, women like men with a Pringle canister down there.
Michael Kelly Patriot Glory
Ibanez RG8
Blackstar HT 20 w/ Jet City cab
whole bunch o' pedals
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Um...everyone's already played that out, I say. The Who even stopped doing it decades back.

Probably didn't want to make their bad backs worse.
Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Um...everyone's already played that out, I say. The Who even stopped doing it decades back.

Then set fire to a guitar? That'd be cool.

Oh wait.
PACIFIC/OCEAN
PACIFIC OCE/AN
PACIFIC OCEAN/
PACIFIC_OCEAN
PACIFIC OCEA_N
_PACIFIC OCEAN
Dont worry about all the awkward kids/bums that need cheap low end guitars. Theres plenty to be had at every pawnshop in the country which is probably where youll be picking your low end gear to smash lol. definitly had the idea before.
I would laugh if during the smashing your eyeball would be pierced by a guitar string.
Gear:
Gibson Explorer
Engl Savage 120
Quote by tael
Dont worry about all the awkward kids/bums that need cheap low end guitars. Theres plenty to be had at every pawnshop in the country which is probably where youll be picking your low end gear to smash lol. definitly had the idea before.

I suppose there's the argument that the guitar that was smashed was already ****ed to begin with. Pickups don't work, twisted neck, ruined/missing frets etc.
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
Get a PoS from Craigslist/Gumtree/Ebay. Also, don't smash it. Try burning it instead - could that work better?
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Why do you think that it's an ingenious idea? I mean, really?
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
I'm not sure you grasp the concept of why guitars are smashed. Smashing a "prop" guitar is just lame IMO.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I suppose there's the argument that the guitar that was smashed was already ****ed to begin with. Pickups don't work, twisted neck, ruined/missing frets etc.

I think he wants to smash the guitar shortly after playing a song.
So... he needs a guitar that actually works, imagine him playing a whole song with a guitar with fked up pickups n stuff, or switching to the crapguitar after the song just to smash it .
PACIFIC/OCEAN
PACIFIC OCE/AN
PACIFIC OCEAN/
PACIFIC_OCEAN
PACIFIC OCEA_N
_PACIFIC OCEAN
Last edited by PacificOcean at Jan 28, 2013,
It really depends on what kind of music you'll be playing and how much energy you invest leading up to smashing it. It'll look stupid if you're not already putting on an intense or crazy show.

Also, it's probably something best saved for the end of the show. You wouldn't want to peak early and then have the rest of the show be less exciting. All assuming that you do it right.

I was in a noise band for a short while, and at the end of the set I beat on my kit with a baseball bat, mostly the heads seeing as I had new ones already purchased. I brought the floor tom out and really wailed on it, winding up and such. It was a small crowd, but it was close-quarters so everyone went pretty crazy the whole time.
It's a process, not an event.
Last edited by Do Re Mi at Jan 28, 2013,
Quote by adamgur96
Basically this.

I think it's kinda selfish to destroy something that could really help others.

By keeping it in tact, you're taking jobs from people who could be making new ones.

See, I can sound like a jackass too.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Rig your guitar to catch fire. Musicians playing with fire on stage seems to be a popular thing to do these days.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
It stopped being cool to smash your gear up in the 80's.

It had already stopped by then - smashing guitars was a 70s thing.

TS - don't do it. It's not big and it definitely isn't clever. You think people won't notice that you switched your good guitar for a cheap crappy one before doing it? Audiences aren't that stupid.

If you were performing a show with a storyline where smashing the guitar was an integral part of that particular scene, then using a cheap guitar for that scene would be the way to go, but it really isn't someone wants to see you do in a regular concert.

Gibson LP Traditional, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm > TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Why would you waste your money? To look cool?

Well i got news for you, pal....

Your just gonna look like a ****** who bought a cheap guitar to smash at a small gig in order to look cool.

Do it
(>•&bull> $$$$$ <(••<

Gear:
Jackson RR3
Jackson DK2
1991 Jackson Fusion Pro
Peavey Triple X Super 40
Smashing your guitar post 70s is something only fashion conscious teenagers do in tiny clubs in front of no one because "Rock and roll". Imagine if Dillinger Escape Plan killed themselves every night on stage without already having an intense stage presence and the songs to back it up. They'd look ****ing stupid and no one would care.
You should do it TS. Just for the buttrage.
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
erm guys
muse used to smash their guitars for a long time
....pretty sure there must be some muse fanboys here
Quote by TheNameOfNoone

What do you think about this ingenious thought?

Not sure if serious...
Please, please I beg you, don't do this. I've seen it done and it looks so so so bad. Why are you trying to piss off venue owners and probably anyone remotely close to a 'fan' or potential fan? Unless you're already huge, playing amazing sets with songs that are blowing peoples minds, why would you even think about crippling any potential chance at making something of your band/yourself? I don't get it.
Don't do it.

Most likely outcome is that you end up swinging the guitar into anything that looks solid because the damned thing just. won't. break.

This leaves you looking like an ineffective tit up on stage, and the venue owner gets pissed off at the damage you cause to the stage/venue.
Page 1 of 2