Page 1 of 2
Neo Evil11
Feminist
1,496 IQ
So biatches,

how are they hanging? Did you ever change your career plans in the last minute?

I am applying for this university in Frankfurt and now I get 2 mails from my thesissupervisor and the coordinator of my current MSc that I shouldn't do that, but go to a top-university instead, because apparently my grades are great (lol sounds funny). Problem is that those applications are closed (they are too late with their "helpful" advice). And now they will try to get me full funding for the MPhil here, which is rated a bit below the london school of economics, but still rated very highly.
My other professor, however, says I should wait a year and then apply for the best universities in the world because it will pay itself back.

I really don't know what to do and need your help Pit.

Also please share your stories about having to change your plans in the last minute.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Neo Evil11
Feminist
1,496 IQ
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
Take a year off and then apply.

I don't think I am mentally able to take a year off.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Avedas
yoloswag420
673 IQ
After hearing so many grad student horror stories I am very skeptical when I hear "it will pay itself back".
solo_freak
pizza e mandolino
271 IQ
Is there any way you could get a placement anywhere for a year? Even if it's not paid it will still be useful and you won't feel like you wasted a year.

Forza Juve

'e voglia 'e mettere rum, chi nasce strunz' nun po' addiventà babbà
Neo Evil11
Feminist
1,496 IQ
Quote by Avedas
After hearing so many grad student horror stories I am very skeptical when I hear "it will pay itself back".

I will be doing a PhD afterwards, and then get a research position at a university. My other option is to do their MPhil here and then hope that I can get a Phd there.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Neo Evil11
Feminist
1,496 IQ
Quote by solo_freak
Is there any way you could get a placement anywhere for a year? Even if it's not paid it will still be useful and you won't feel like you wasted a year.

What do you mean with "placement" exactly? I am sure I could find some job. It's not probable that this will be something I really like though.

I'm sorry if I sound like a spoiled brat, but unfortunately I am that.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
solo_freak
pizza e mandolino
271 IQ
Quote by Neo Evil11
What do you mean with "placement" exactly? I am sure I could find some job. It's not probable that this will be something I really like though.

I'm sorry if I sound like a spoiled brat, but unfortunately I am that.

An internship at a company/firm relating to what you are doing, not just any job. That way you could add to your CV as well.

Forza Juve

'e voglia 'e mettere rum, chi nasce strunz' nun po' addiventà babbà
Neo Evil11
Feminist
1,496 IQ
Quote by solo_freak
An internship at a company/firm relating to what you are doing, not just any job. That way you could add to your CV as well.

I'm sure my father could get me an internship at Exxon Mobile (he's offered it multiple times). Maybe that I will look into some banking stuff.

But so no one is in favor of doing the MPhil at the Tinbergen institute? Says enough about the Dutch quality of schooling to be honest.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Avedas
yoloswag420
673 IQ
Quote by Neo Evil11
I will be doing a PhD afterwards, and then get a research position at a university. My other option is to do their MPhil here and then hope that I can get a Phd there.
I suppose if you plan to stay in academia it shouldn't be an issue.
Neo Evil11
Feminist
1,496 IQ
Quote by Avedas
I suppose if you plan to stay in academia it shouldn't be an issue.

The gigantic debt may be an issue though. I have no idea how other people do it, or how fast I have to pay it back.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Joshua Garcia
Joshole
5,716 IQ
No, but I probably should.
Been applying for a Medical Billing & Coder position since April of 2011 and still don't have a job. Been denied soo many times because of lack of experience. Which comes from being denied soo many times. Quite the ironic circle actually.
Quote by Hal-Sephira
Have anybody went on high lately?
v Smash dat mf
Neo Evil11
Feminist
1,496 IQ
Quote by Joshua Garcia
No, but I probably should.
Been applying for a Medical Billing & Coder position since April of 2011 and still don't have a job. Been denied soo many times because of lack of experience. Which comes from being denied soo many times. Quite the ironic circle actually.

Is it a classic case of a catch 22?

Now I am wondering though, are your grades fine? Because I hear a lot that grades don't matter for getting accepted in a job. Which means I am ****ed too if that's the case.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Joshua Garcia
Joshole
5,716 IQ
Quote by Neo Evil11
Is it a classic case of a catch 22?

Now I am wondering though, are your grades fine? Because I hear a lot that grades don't matter for getting accepted in a job. Which means I am ****ed too if that's the case.

No, my grades were fine. It's just the lack of experience. Recently, I went to a sort of job fair for this one company, spent about 30 minutes, then got denied because the standard for all applicants is a 2 year experience.

So far, I've gotten a month externship experience, and a license for passing an nationally certified test to make my resume look better. It was completely optional, but I took it. It's gotta get me somewhere eventually.
Quote by Hal-Sephira
Have anybody went on high lately?
v Smash dat mf
captainsnazz
~
578 IQ
I was talking to a knowledgeable dude who has supervised like 50 PhDs last week, because I was trying to figure out whether I really need a master's to get on a PhD. You don't in England but do in France and some other places you see, but I don't want to do my PhD in England.
But the answer I got was that masters' courses are supposed to teach you a specific skill set that you'll need either for a career in industry or research, that you simply wouldn't get from your bachelor's.
So it's more about the skills you get, not where you get them. I'd do the master's at the not-as-fantastic place and do your PhD at a more fantastic place. That's my plan at the moment anyway.
Neo Evil11
Feminist
1,496 IQ
Quote by captainsnazz
I was talking to a knowledgeable dude who has supervised like 50 PhDs last week, because I was trying to figure out whether I really need a master's to get on a PhD. You don't in England but do in France and some other places you see, but I don't want to do my PhD in England.
But the answer I got was that masters' courses are supposed to teach you a specific skill set that you'll need either for a career in industry or research, that you simply wouldn't get from your bachelor's.
So it's more about the skills you get, not where you get them. I'd do the master's at the not-as-fantastic place and do your PhD at a more fantastic place. That's my plan at the moment anyway.

I will have an MSc by then, but I have been told that I either need a two year's degree or a research master's degree before I can get a PhD.

Mind you, Bachelor degrees here are only 3 years. I may have heard it wrong, but I thought they were 4 years in England.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
captainsnazz
~
578 IQ
Quote by Neo Evil11
I will have an MSc by then, but I have been told that I either need a two year's degree or a research master's degree before I can get a PhD.

Mind you, Bachelor degrees here are only 3 years. I may have heard it wrong, but I thought they were 4 years in England.

Ah yeah sorry I misread something in your original post. Who told you that? Sounds pretty strict, especially considering that you have good grades. Have you actually applied for any PhDs, or at least talked to any supervisors?

Bachelors are mostly 3 years in England, although mine is technically 4 because I'm on placement at the moment. I've heard of longer ones though.
Neo Evil11
Feminist
1,496 IQ
Quote by captainsnazz
Ah yeah sorry I misread something in your original post. Who told you that? Sounds pretty strict, especially considering that you have good grades. Have you actually applied for any PhDs, or at least talked to any supervisors?

Bachelors are mostly 3 years in England, although mine is technically 4 because I'm on placement at the moment. I've heard of longer ones though.

The coordinator and a teacher from my MSc told me. The first is the same guy that now wants me to either go to London, America or take their MPhil. I think they know what they are talking about though, as they are part of the Tinbergen institute themselves.

My thesissupervisor says I could get into some PhD programs, but not one at a great university (+ he looked and the applications were closed at those universities he tought off lol).
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Last edited by Neo Evil11 at Jan 28, 2013,
Neo Evil11
Feminist
1,496 IQ
Who has ever made a go for a top university?
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Hydra150
cutebutt mcsexyface
1,793 IQ
>career
lel
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
JustRooster
Internet Bully
7,166 IQ
Taking time off school is almost always horrible advice.

Also, I applied for a top university thinking I wouldn't get in, then I did. Can't get in if you don't apply.

Quote by EyeNon15
Thats too bad, I was under the impression I was arguing something profound

Neo Evil11
Feminist
1,496 IQ
Quote by JustRooster
Taking time off school is almost always horrible advice.

Also, I applied for a top university thinking I wouldn't get in, then I did. Can't get in if you don't apply.

Can't apply if the deadline was 03-01-2013.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
JustRooster
Internet Bully
7,166 IQ
Quote by Neo Evil11
Can't apply if the deadline was 03-01-2013.

Take online courses. Trust me, taking a break is super shit. I tried it.

Quote by EyeNon15
Thats too bad, I was under the impression I was arguing something profound

Neo Evil11
Feminist
1,496 IQ
Quote by JustRooster
Take online courses. Trust me, taking a break is super shit. I tried it.

I will take it in consideration. I will most likely end up applying for tinbergen instead of lse. Wouldnt know what to do with the year, plus they are trying to get me a full scholarship, dont see lse doing that xp.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Neo Evil11
Feminist
1,496 IQ
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Unless you're super motivated to get shit done you'll spend all day masturbating.

It's taken me 2 months to join the gym.

I am super motivated to get shit done in my courses, but i am really lazy outside of school lol. I will just ask around to my professors again what they think and how they think i should approach it.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
whoomit
1,492 IQ
Yeah I've changed paths. I was accepted into Archaeology at uni but then I changed my mind to do music.

I didn't get into the course because of inadequate keyboard skills.

I took a year to learn piano and then at the end of the year I didn't reapply. I realised that uni was probably not going to get me anywhere.

I got a shitty retail job and took a course in building guitars.
Neo Evil11
Feminist
1,496 IQ
Quote by whoomit
Yeah I've changed paths. I was accepted into Archaeology at uni but then I changed my mind to do music.

I didn't get into the course because of inadequate keyboard skills.

I took a year to learn piano and then at the end of the year I didn't reapply. I realised that uni was probably not going to get me anywhere.

I got a shitty retail job and took a course in building guitars.

Oeh that sucks I hope everything works out.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
the bartender
UG's biology teacher
429 IQ
Stick with your original plan, all this 'university X is better than university Y' bogus is purely based on statistical wankery. And taking a year off really is a bad idea.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Last edited by the bartender at Jan 29, 2013,
Neo Evil11
Feminist
1,496 IQ
Quote by the bartender
Stick with your original plan, all this 'university X is better than university Y' bogu is purely based on statistical wankery. And taking a year off really is a bad idea.

Apparently it's not so bogus. With an LSE degree you can get a job anywhere, whereas with a Frankfurt or Amsterdam degree you have more troubles internationally.

edit: I think Signalling theory can prove that.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
the bartender
UG's biology teacher
429 IQ
Quote by Neo Evil11
Apparently it's not so bogus. With an LSE degree you can get a job anywhere, whereas with a Frankfurt or Amsterdam degree you have more troubles internationally.

edit: I think Signalling theory can prove that.
That's because employers believe the bogus. It might give you an advantage in finding a job with just your Msc, but if you're going to do a PhD afterwards then that's gonna be all they're looking at.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
whoomit
1,492 IQ
Quote by Neo Evil11
Oeh that sucks I hope everything works out.

Oh yeah, forgot to say.

I quit the shitty retail job and I'm noww working on getting a business up and running and I'm working part time for my gf's brother, doing furniture removals/deliveries. It's awesome
Neo Evil11
Feminist
1,496 IQ
Quote by whoomit
Oh yeah, forgot to say.

I quit the shitty retail job and I'm noww working on getting a business up and running and I'm working part time for my gf's brother, doing furniture removals/deliveries. It's awesome

Massive positive twist.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
guitarnoob_100
Gods Gift to Guitarnoobs
290 IQ
Tinbergen intstitute in Amsterdam, right? I myself am doing an economics degree at Erasmus University Rotterdam, and I must say, am loving it here in Holland.

Relating to your topic, I would continue where I was at, UNLESS, I was sure that if I took a year off, I would do something productive, like getting a job. If you're thinking of applying for LSE during the next batch, make sure your finances can sustain it. That shit is ridiculously expensive. I got accepted there on grades alone, but couldn't afford to pay the fees in the end. Settled for EUR, and am loving it here.
I own an Ibanez J-Custom

I am Guitarnoob_100. Say hey

PSN: Whiski_Guy
Xbox Live: Chris2194

Steam: Galiathslay
Neo Evil11
Feminist
1,496 IQ
Quote by guitarnoob_100
Tinbergen intstitute in Amsterdam, right? I myself am doing an economics degree at Erasmus University Rotterdam, and I must say, am loving it here in Holland.

Relating to your topic, I would continue where I was at, UNLESS, I was sure that if I took a year off, I would do something productive, like getting a job. If you're thinking of applying for LSE during the next batch, make sure your finances can sustain it. That shit is ridiculously expensive. I got accepted there on grades alone, but couldn't afford to pay the fees in the end. Settled for EUR, and am loving it here.

Werent you eligible for funding?

Tinbergen is a joined research institute from rotterdam, and the two amsterdam universities.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Tanglewoodguit
Davostated
2,658 IQ
I know what this about Glen. Voyeurism isn't cool and that school were right to get rid of you.
AVFC Championship 2nd place 2017

Quote by TheChaz
Ok I'll pass it on to them that EndTheRapture51 is done watching.
blake1221
‭‭
711 IQ
There's always community college to catch up on one or two credits and then finish my degree. I kinda just left it hanging.

Oh well. School will still be there.
Neo Evil11
Feminist
1,496 IQ
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
I know what this about Glen. Voyeurism isn't cool and that school were right to get rid of you.

Yeah. Grabbing the ass of the teacher wasnt my best moment in hindsight
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ