Page 1 of 2
Why do people have this thing against listening to your own tunes? You wrote and recorded them because you obviously thought they sounded good. Your own music is virtually the only music that has every element of what you like in songs.

Seriously, you guys, I'm seriously.

Quote by EyeNon15
Thats too bad, I was under the impression I was arguing something profound

1 3 5 R
2 4 6
Having a thing against it? I don't know about that, but after coming up with an idea, hashing it out, rehearsing it, recording it and performing it, it can get annoying to listen to it again. But most people don't deal with music that much in their lives, but it's the same idea. Also, we're always our own worst critics.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
I used to watch a lot of my old videos of me playing guitar and study them.

I'd listen to me if I come up on shuffle, very rarely do I go
'I wanna listen to me now.'
Quote by laid-to-waste
look nigga, if you're chillin with 5 bros and 2 hos, you're gonna wanna pay attention to all of em equally. not moon over the hos forever and laugh at every shitty thing they say and just stare at them all night, like some of my mates do.
Quote by rockingamer2
Having a thing against it? I don't know about that,

Yeah dude. Where is this coming from? I never heard anything about this.
Voted UG User of the Year 2015 & 2016
I always end up thinking "I should have done this, instead of that". Shit drives me crazy.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
If you don't like your own stuff, why should you expect anyone else too?
If you do like your own stuff, why wouldn't you listen to it?

And that's the bottom line.
When I finish a song, I'll listen to it loads, cos I'm proud of it (usually). After a while though, I'd just rather listen to stuff that's professionally made. I won't not listen to my own stuff, I just don't tend towards it.
e-married to the most fabulous Fashionista ever, Rarity
e-mom to Scootaloo, somehow
Quote by dawgeth321
Let's warm our wings, fly through the clouds, and dance in the sky, mon capitaine.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Spit is a milf

UG 8-BIT ALBUM
SoundCloud
Quote by anvil is god
I'm sick of something I write after all the work I do with it.

Me too. I've heard the riff a million times, so I really don't want to hear it again.
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
i like to go through my GP files

i dont really ever record anything
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by supersac
cause its like masterbating to a picture of yourself?

yeah pretty much this. it's just vain is all, not really too big of a deal or anything.
I haven't really heard anyone say it either way. I personally listen to my own recordings now and then whether its a cover or original. I can learn from them and say to myself things like I might have over compressed this section or the guitar in this section is too loud etc. The only way to learn and improve is from your own mistakes. I get what people are saying though about hearing something you recorded over and over again which can get annoying
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
I write the music I want to hear because I don't feel like waiting for someone else to write it, so it only makes sense to listen to the music I write. No shame in it, and it's not like I spend all day trumpeting my greatness to the world (great as I am ).
Quote by JustRooster
Your own music is virtually the only music that has every element of what you like in songs.

while I don't listen to my own music at all, I'm not here to say somebody shouldn't listen to theirs.

however, this part of it isn't necessarily true. I mean, if you only like one style of music, sure. but if you like, for instance, jazz, shoegaze, and Gregorian chants, it'd be difficult to make music that reflects this.

it'd be wild to hear though.
I enjoy making the joke that listening to your own music is like laughing at your own jokes, but in all reality, they're not the same.

There's no shame in digging what you've written. Why write what you wouldn't enjoy?

I'm also a firm believer in writing the kind of music that you actually want to hear.
well like i said, it makes sense to listen to yr own music because of all those reasons, but it is like laughing at yr own jokes (which also makes sense when you think about it). it's a little vain but no biggie, as long as you dig it is all that matters.
Quote by JustRooster
Why do people have this thing against listening to your own tunes? You wrote and recorded them because you obviously thought they sounded good. Your own music is virtually the only music that has every element of what you like in songs.

Because people are stupid.

I mean do you write a song because you think it sucks, or because you think it sounds good?

EDIT: Yes, you're right.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
Last edited by guitarist41 at Jan 28, 2013,
Quote by neidnarb11890
but who doesn't admire themselves in the mirror from time to time?

i listen to my music sometimes but yah~
Listening to my music is like listening to my arguments.

I love what I'm saying, and how I'm saying it, but I hate the way my voice sounds. Then I hear my voice crack or slur over a consonant or something, and I cannot bear to keep listening to me embarrass myself.

THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2016: 78-65
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2016: 1-0
2016 NFL Pick 'Em: 10-6
it's like liking your own comments on facebook or favoriting your own tweets
Quote by element4433
Be subtle with it. Don't like molest him.

And cup his balls.

Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.
If I write a song I don't like listening to, I either modify the shit or throw it out entirely saving little bits and pieces of it for future compositions. I make sure I can stand it before I keep it as is.

If I can't stand to listen to it, there's no way I'm going to make it public. Nobody likes people who make shitty music, and it's not going to go down too well if that's how you think of yourself, as some asshole who makes shitty music.

However, I still think it is important for musicians to be able to hear and recognize their flaws as well as not get butthurt when someone offers helpful, constructive criticism despite holding a negative opinion.
Quote by Johnny_Ibanez
If you don't like your own stuff, why should you expect anyone else too?
If you do like your own stuff, why wouldn't you listen to it?

And that's the bottom line.

QFT
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by supersac
cause its like masterbating to a picture of yourself?

In that it's something that you made for yourself exactly the way that you like?

It's like, you have the perfect song that is written just for you. I still get shivers down my spine every time I hear the iv-vi and vi-i riffs in Cosmic Invaders. I still feel like storming the Pelennor Fields every time the harmony kicks in in that one song that still doesn't have a name. I still die inside every time I hear my covers of Dust In The Wind and Hallelujah. And I still feel really pretentious every time that I listen to that one piece that's just the same 9 16th notes repeated for 1:24:24.

Not to mention that there is far more emotion for you in your own music than in other people's music. All of everything that I was going through while composing this stuff is brought back out whenever I hear those riffs.

And at the end of the day, there are few things that are cooler than being able to sit back and think "Wow, I really made that!"
*your ad here*
I like my own tunes, but I just play them a lot so I dont feel the need to listen to them a lot so I skip over them if they usually come on, although sometimes i do get in the mood to listen to them. I mean, Judas Priest is my favorite band but ill skip over a lot of their tunes since ive listened to them so much, I dont want to wear them out. Your own tunes are the worst because of that since you play them all time (or at least you should) during practice/shows/etc.
I agree there's nothing wrong with listening to your own music, but sometimes after spending weeks or months composing, arranging, recording, mixing, and mastering songs I get sick of hearing them for a while afterwards. It's not that I don't like the music, it's that I feel the need to hear something different.
I've wondered about this as well. I love the music I write and often end up listening to my own pieces.
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
I have this when reading back stories or articles I've written. Even if I know it's good, it's just too familiar.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
It kinda makes me cringe
But we little know until tried how much of the uncontrollable there is in us, urging across glaciers and torrents, and up dangerous heights, let the judgment forbid as it may.
I listen to my stuff once in a while. I was far better when I recorded it - or at least it sounds that way to me - so I enjoy listening to it like "holy shit how the hell did I do that?" But eventually the production quality gets really annoying as I am in no way a pro player or producer. I record my own drums but I'm not a drummer And I have shit equipment to boot... But still once and a while I like to hear it just to say "that was EFFIN sweet!"

EDIT: this has inspired me to go listen to my own tunes
Uncle aciD

&

The deadbeatS

Do What Your Love Tells You
Last edited by SFosterS at Jan 28, 2013,
I dunno. I think it was Donald Glover that was ranting about this, a girl was shocked he was listening to his own music and went on about how music is the only thing where it's considered strange to enjoy what you create, like how people don't think it's strange that chefs eat their own food.
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Quote by Burgery
i like to go through my GP files

i dont really ever record anything

Pretty much this. My bands music never made it past the practice stage.
I listen to my own music all the time. Because I love it.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Quote by JustRooster

Because most bands fail to realize how much they suck.
Quote by PullYaMull
Because most bands fail to realize how much they suck.

Do you contribute anything happy ever?! All of your posts have either been along the lines of "Haha, laugh at this guy" or flat-out negative.

Please, start contributing something more than that, or I'll start reporting you as a suspected adbot. It doesn't take too much effort to type more than a line of text and/or fill out your profile.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Jan 29, 2013,
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Do you contribute anything happy ever?! All of your posts have either been along the lines of "Haha, laugh at this guy" or flat-out negative.

Please, start contributing something more than that, or I'll start reporting you as a suspected adbot. It doesn't take too much effort to type more than a line of text and/or fill out your profile.

Hey look! It's the guy nobody likes in the article comments section!

Look, it's not wrong to listen to your own music at all, but you might look like a huge douche if you think it's the best thing since sliced cheese. The point is, there's almost certainly better music to listen to than your own and if you would rather keep repeating your own you are probly a pretencious douche.
Page 1 of 2