I got a cheap 'platform' guitar that I'm modding. Its a strat copy by Academy. I want to replace some single coil pickups with hummies, but cant decide which configuration would be best. I'm slightly leaning towards HSH. Your votes will count as much as my son's votes.
Further info: I'm going to do a Brian May type wiring with some kind of series/parallel switch (http://treblebooster.com/brian_may_pickup_mod.htm), and I already scalloped the neck. Oh, I also have an effects board to put in, QDD2 from ArtecSound, and am also open to the idea of a varitone.
No plans yet for visual effects.
Last edited by RebuildIt at Jan 28, 2013,
URL not found on the link

Honestly I like HSH or even HH the most.
Main Rig:

Epiphone MKH Les Paul Custom 7 - Ronda
Ibanez RG8 "Scarlet" - AKA The Rambanez
Fender Strat "Danielle"/"Dani"
Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us...

Purchase list: Jim Root Tele, Jim Root Jazzmaster, MTM20
HH or, if you're feeling adventurous, try a pair of P-90 pickups. They're sort of an in-between sound, some of the crunch of humbuckers but with some of the brightness of single coils. Absolutely love the duall P-90 setup on my strat copy, but to each his own.
HSH with split coils is the most versatile IMO

edit also the picking can be weird with a H in the middle, an S you don't notice there
Last edited by Tempoe at Jan 29, 2013,
HHH, six coils to work with. Want full versatility? Use Seymour Duncan P-Rail pickups.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Last edited by RebuildIt at Feb 3, 2013,
More switches! one for each pickup, sort of a Brian May wiring, and a second phase switch. Either humbucker can be out of phase. Plus one of the tone knobs is now a 4 position varitone. I'm not sure what the total number of combinations is. 7 pickup combinations, plus 6 affected by coil split = 13, 4 affected by 2 differnt phases. is that 13 times 8? Times 4 for the different capcitors? http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/RebuildIt/pictures/gear/1166124/1166125
Last edited by RebuildIt at Feb 9, 2013,