Page 1 of 3
Heya, pitters

A friend of mine came out last week as transgender. Everyone has been very supportive and cool, and she seems a lot happier since. However, I have no idea what the expected protocol is here - I also want to show my support in a non-crude sort of way. I can't tell if getting her a present would be hilarious or patronising.

So - anybody have any experience with this kind of thing? Anybody come out as anything and got cool presents?
Hahahahahahahahahah hahahaha har har har
Strap on?
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Buy her a penis/dildo.

Or something.
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
Something sentimental that shows support. If they are going to change (either physically or how they identify with their gender) then it'll be a tough road ahead of them and it's good to show you're there.

ie - what whoomit said.
If you get cool presents for coming out....then....

Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
How about you and your friends just take her out to dinner? Or a group photo of you guys in a nice frame. Your support is probably the most important thing to her, I think a photo of all her friends around her would help illustrate that.
Write her a letter.
455 75 34 88

(´・ω・`)

Quote by strait jacket
Do you like being sigged or, like me do you feel strangely violated?
Wait, so is it a man that thinks he's a woman or a woman thinking she's a man? That matters.
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
Asking about something like this in the pit...you obviously know the type of answers you will receive, therefore one can only assume you've opened this thread already knowing what you're getting her and are just sitting back waiting for lulz
I'm not saying not to trust the internet, but there's an alarming discrepancy between the number of iPads I've won & the number of iPads I own.
How about don't do shit. I don't get f@cking presents for being straight.
Or male, or being Multi ethnic.

You're making it weirder by doing anything at all. Praising her for who she is, is like patting a dog on the head just for being a dog.

Wait..
Do you mean she as in she or she as in he but you just don't know any better so you're still saying she? It makes a difference.
*your ad here*
That's because you're gross and not very nice. I get presents all the time.
*your ad here*
If it's a guy going girl then pay to have a mold of his penis taken and then a dildo made from it so after he has the operation he can quite literally fuck himself.
Quote by DardySon
If it's a guy going girl then pay to have a mold of his penis taken and then a dildo made from it so after he has the operation he can quite literally fuck himself.

That's making a lot of rather large assumptions though...
*your ad here*
Quote by theogonia777
That's making a lot of rather large assumptions though...

Well if it's the other way around then take a mould of her vagina and have that turned into a fleshlight.
M to F, for everyone confused.

I like the photo idea and the teddy bear.
Hahahahahahahahahah hahahaha har har har
What about something to wear intended for females? It seems like a nice way to communicate that you totally accept her for being a woman, and isn't an unnatural gift to give anyway :3
In the interest of true equality, perhaps no one should give a shit.
Quote by seabear70
In the interest of true equality, perhaps no one should give a shit.

Who's talking about equality? If anyone takes a big step in their lives it would not be unusual for their friends to want to celebrate and share in that.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by DardySon

___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Bake her a cake and write PENISES SUCK on it in pink icing.

stratkat
Quote by McTodd
M to F, for everyone confused.

I like the photo idea and the teddy bear.

Get her clothes and makeup. That's what people get me. Well, nobody has gotten me makeup yet, but that will come soon enough. I've gotten plenty of clothes though.
*your ad here*
I think the best thing to give her is a restraining order.
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
Quote by theogonia777
Get her clothes and makeup. That's what people get me. Well, nobody has gotten me makeup yet, but that will come soon enough. I've gotten plenty of clothes though.

Maybe you are just too pretty for make up ;P

Also, what about Jewellery? Or chocolate. Those are generally the safe options when buying a girl a present
A hug and a kick in the invisiballs.

Hilarious jokes aside, sounds like you need a new amp.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Tell him you love her.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Quote by Powersurge213
Maybe you are just too pretty for make up ;P

Also, what about Jewellery? Or chocolate. Those are generally the safe options when buying a girl a present

Thanks, I guess.

Jewellery really depends, since some girls don't wear any at all and those that do only wear certain things, so it's very hit or miss. I guess the same can be said about clothes, but clothes are better because if you have a ton of old stuff, she could surely find something that she likes.

Chocolate... I guess it's the same really: hit or miss. There is also the possibility that she may want to start losing weight for when she starts HRT. Though I'm sure a little bit of chocolate couldn't hurt.

I personally like things that subtly incorporate trans color. Things like scarves for example. Actually, I have this one scarf with the trans colors on right now. I feel like anything that's too attention-drawing is kind of bad, like any sort of t-shirt that says "trans pride" or something on it.

I think it depends on how close you are though. Getting underwear or pads for her for example is a bad idea unless you are very close with her.

Another thing to consider is her timeline as far as transitioning (I'm assuming that she is a transsexual or at least genderqueer). She might not want to any time soon or even ever. If she is not transitioning soon, things like clothing are not as useful for the time being, since she probably will not dress as female except in private.

It's not like there is any sort of standard time frame in terms of coming out and going through different stages of transitioning. She might want to start fairly soon, or she might not want to start for a few years, and this might change as time goes on. For example, when I first started coming out in real life four months ago, I didn't even really want to consider transitioning publicly until at least after graduating, and yet here I am now.
*your ad here*
Last edited by theogonia777 at Jan 29, 2013,
Quote by EpiExplorer
A hug and a kick in the invisiballs.

Hilarious jokes aside, sounds like you need a new amp.

OT: Idk
I Have An Avant Garde Fetish....
Quote by Gantz92
Im in no way an amateur. I masturbate in public all the time.
Quote by Nelsean
I can get an erection just by looking at a plastic cup, or a river.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
Don't worry, rape will always find a back way in
Page 1 of 3