Page 2 of 3
Quote by McTodd
I also want to show my support in a non-crude sort of way.

Treat her like nothing's changed. Can't get much more supportive than "I don't care what's between your legs, you're still my friend."
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
Treat her like nothing's changed. Can't get much more supportive than "I don't care what's between your legs, you're still my friend."

It's not like what's between her legs is changing. At least not now, and possibly not even in the long run.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
To be honest i would find it patronising. Then again, i don't know any transgender people, but if a friend came out as gay or transgender or something, i would just say congratulations on coming out, then treat them no different to how i usually do.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Quote by donender
i would just say congratulations on coming out, then treat them no different to how i usually do.

I hope you'd at least change your personal pronouns.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by Mr.-Bungle
How about don't do shit. I don't get f@cking presents for being straight.
Or male, or being Multi ethnic.

You're making it weirder by doing anything at all. Praising her for who she is, is like patting a dog on the head just for being a dog.

Wait..

Thank you for saving me the trouble of articulating what I think. In my opinion giving a gift is patronising, yes.
I wouldn't make it anything more than it has to be.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
Quote by Reagar
Thank you for saving me the trouble of articulating what I think. In my opinion giving a gift is patronising, yes.

Don't think of it as a gift. Think of it as more like giving supplies. It's like if a knight is embarking on a journey to slay a dragon and rescue a princess, you wouldn't give him a present for going to rescue her but you would give him a sword, a bow, arrows, armor, a horse, and TM13 because the dragon is likely also a flying type.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by McTodd
Heya, pitters

A friend of mine came out last week as transgender. Everyone has been very supportive and cool, and she seems a lot happier since. However, I have no idea what the expected protocol is here - I also want to show my support in a non-crude sort of way. I can't tell if getting her a present would be hilarious or patronising.

So - anybody have any experience with this kind of thing? Anybody come out as anything and got cool presents?

he*
sunbather is shit
Quote by beefcake122
he*

what
Quote by beefcake122
he*

*she
Give her a hug.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
Quote by guitarist41
Give her a hug.

There's no reason to do that right now though.
Yeah, that's not really how it works.
Quote by theogonia777
There's no reason to do that right now though.

That's the beauty of hugging: you don't need a reason.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
sorry but that's it how it works, you don't get to choose which gender you "identify" as, how about I just identify myself as a panda?
sunbather is shit
Quote by beefcake122
Sorry he's still a guy, guys.

She came out, afaik that kinda marks the point where it is respectful to use the desired pronouns.
Quote by beefcake122
you don't get to choose which gender you "identify" as

Yeah, and she didn't choose.
Quote by beefcake122
sorry but that's it how it works, you don't get to choose which gender you "identify" as, how about I just identify myself as a panda?

Do that. Nobody will give a crap.
Quote by neidnarb11890
That's called a furry.
I had a mate in college that everybody referred to as 'Panda', even the teachers forgot his actual name. I went to high school with him though, I think I was one of the few people there who ever knew his first name.
I hope she isn't one of those scene girls who claims they're a lesbian to seem 'quirky' and 'original'. I know a load of people who have done that and it's pathetic.

I think I was one of the few people there who ever knew his first name.

That's kind of sad in some ways.
Quote by beefcake122

I doubt there's much point in talking some sense into you, seeing as you're comparing someone wanting to change their gender to better fit their identity to calling yourself a goddamn panda.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by huwford

That's kind of sad in some ways.

Panda was a cooler name, and there's no harm in a nickname. And it was a music performance course, the people are supposed to be quirky or project personas or whatever
i read this thread and the whole time was debating whether or not i would have sex with a woman's body after she/he came out and are now trans
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Panda was a cooler name, and there's no harm in a nickname. And it was a music performance course, the people are supposed to be quirky or project personas or whatever

Ah fair enough, I was on one of those music courses and you meet some pretty funny lads :L
This is bringing a tear to my eye, seeing how compassionate the Pit can be<3 ilufyugys

Srs though, give that bitch a hug. Bitches love hugs.

Also, Kristen, you rule.
Quote by soundgarden1986
Screw your bases. If she doesn't let me go elbow deep in her ass on the first date, it wasn't meant to be.

Quote by willT08
Every thread on here to do with audio quality is like walking into a paddock of shit slinging chimps
You might just get a gift card for her and tell her to plan a shopping date. I tag along with female friends when they shop on occasion. They seem to appreciate it. And if she goes after the transition it might be a good way to adjust to being in public.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I have no idea what the protocol is, but if anything, get her a gift card to a clothing store or something of that nature. Clothes cost money.
Quote by LightxGrenade
How about you and your friends just take her out to dinner? Or a group photo of you guys in a nice frame. Your support is probably the most important thing to her, I think a photo of all her friends around her would help illustrate that.

This is a good idea, TS should follow it.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Quote by BledGhostWhite
Also, Kristen, you rule.

Quote by BladeSlinger
You might just get a gift card for her and tell her to plan a shopping date. I tag along with female friends when they shop on occasion. They seem to appreciate it.

This is always a good idea. It's weird going to public places for the first time. Though honestly I've never really been anywhere besides school while presenting as female, and even then, it's not like I'm trying to pass, so it's not really that uncomfortable. I look more like a transvestite than a transsexual.

And if she goes after the transition it might be a good way to adjust to being in public.

Well... that's not exactly how transitioning works, but it's definitely good "practice" I guess you could say.

Quote by bloodtrocuted93
I have no idea what the protocol is, but if anything, get her a gift card to a clothing store or something of that nature. Clothes cost money.

Clothes are expensive, but you can always buy cheap secondhand stuff or ask female friends for their old stuff. That's actually what TS could do. Just ask other friends for stuff for his friend.

Also get your friend to start hanging out with the GSA if your school has one. The whole queer community is super supportive, so I'm sure some of them would be willing to let her have stuff. Like a friend of mine who also just came out as trans took me to meet his friend that was the president of our GSA (and trans as well) he and his girlfriend gave me a bunch of old stuff.

Quote by Redsectoreh
buy him/her the new Against Me! CD.

Add in Cretin's Freakery album and the Matrix trilogy to that as well.