Page 1 of 2
Any new music i find thats even half way decent is from america ?

the uk scenes stagnated , some one please prove me wrong
Check out this band from Halifax, NS Canada, they are a melodic infused Modern Rock band. Find them on facebook "carry the lost"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gaf8l7YsYQM
Mesa Boogie Dual Rec Roadster
Marshall 1960 4x12
Jackson DK2M Pro
Yamaha RGX121D
ESP LTD 5 String Bass

Recording Software:
Pod Farm
Reaper
Superior Drummer 2.0
Muse! Pride of the UK! I also think Travis are bloody brilliant!

I know what you mean though. I mainly listen of different types of metal which tend to come from all over Europe.
Bangers, Lower Than Atlantis, Bloc Party, Foals, Franz Ferdinand, Gnarwolves, Mogwai, Enter Shikari, Blur, Gorillaz, Wombats, Editors, Radiohead are some british bands I like.
Quote by neoclassical85
Check out this band from Halifax, NS Canada, they are a melodic infused Modern Rock band. Find them on facebook "carry the lost"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gaf8l7YsYQM

Damn, Canada is part of the UK now? Is imperialism having a rebirth?
Architects, Heights, Monuments, Tesseract, Sacred Mother Tongue, The Safety Fire, Rise to Remain, Sylosis, Red Seas Fire, Your Demise, Young Guns and if you like shredders: ANDY JAMES!!!!

ok that list is all metal and hardcore of some form, and those are only the reasonably new ones, I haven't even mentioned Evile, FFAF, Muse, Enter Shikari, Fightstar. Seriously mate there's loads - hit up some live music events and you'll find out about many of the smaller bands that I've listed.
blur, gorillaz, anything damon albarn, frightened rabbit, wu lyf, arctic monkeys, radiohead, the xx, the rifles
That all depends on perspective. Theres quite a lot of hard rock type bands like Black Spiders around at the moment. You just have to look around and find new bands.
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
Porcupine Tree and Steven Wilson. The Pineapple Thief, Anathema, Radiohead. Lots out there. Much of it doesn't get airtime though.
~My Gear~
68 Sunn Sorado
Acoustic 4x12
89 Epiphone LP Honeyburst
Boss ME-70

Fender Dreadnought Acoustic
Ibanez RG350DX
Blackstar HT-5R
Orange CR35LDX
Vox Tonelab ST
Nothing that stands out to me really. But not just in the UK, everywhere.

I might be getting less into music as I get older, still lie to play as much as ever, just not really listening as much
Last edited by Tempoe at Jan 29, 2013,
That hasn't been mentioned yet, The Answer, Trucker Diablo, The Treatment, Dorje, Gama Bomb, Nick Johnston, Sons of Icarus, Alestorm, to name but a few
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
beast your bands pretty good man , if your ever doing a show in Brighton il be there

wow lot of suggestions to check out, ive already listened to a fair few , anathema sound pretty good. Band suggestions like radio head muse and porcupine tree wasn't really what i was looking for all though i love all three of them (old muse) i was really just talking about fairly established bands, im a big fan of small venues. Tesseract are awesome too, im waiting there next album with a ferocious boner. Cheers for the suggestions though guys keep em coming.
The entire "tr00" uk hardcore scene

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ns8cq73VxQ

So many good bands in the UK... just most of them aren't popular, because being good =/= being popular.

Quote by gman128
Architects, Heights, Monuments, Tesseract, Sacred Mother Tongue, The Safety Fire, Rise to Remain, Sylosis, Red Seas Fire, Your Demise, Young Guns and if you like shredders: ANDY JAMES!!!!

ok that list is all metal and hardcore of some form, and those are only the reasonably new ones, I haven't even mentioned Evile, FFAF, Muse, Enter Shikari, Fightstar. Seriously mate there's loads - hit up some live music events and you'll find out about many of the smaller bands that I've listed.

And this is probably why TS doesn't like UK music. MOST (not all) of the bands listed here are awful. Some of them used to be good, like Your Demise, Architects and Enter Shikari, and some never were, like Young Guns. Heights really want to be a good hardcore band but fail at writing interesting music. Sylosis are a dull attempt and mixing metalcore with thrash and Evile suffer from the same problems as all modern thrash bands; they recreate instead of innovate.

Most of the UK scene thrives on doing stuff that other bands do, but doing it way worse. We have a trend culture in the UK and most people who listen to "alternative music" in the UK only listen to trendy bands, instead of ones that are actually good. They play on accessibility over quality. When did Architects suddenly become stupid popular?... it wasn't when Hollow Crown came out, which was their last good album.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Jan 29, 2013,
On an international scale the British and American music scenes are basically the same. You're probably just an Ameriphile or something.

I'll be honest and say I do the same thing. Sometimes if I know music is American before I listen to it I expect it to be bad.
biffy ? before there last two albums they were in my top bands, there music sucks pretty hard now though

chemicalfire , you know any more hardcore bands like that in the uk ? i enjoyed that
Check out Hosptials, Bastions, Kerouac (sadly broken up), Kaddish.

The UK has an awesome Hardcore/Screamo scene. It just doesn't get the same attention as the trendycore crowd.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
The entire "tr00" uk hardcore scene

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ns8cq73VxQ

So many good bands in the UK... just most of them aren't popular, because being good =/= being popular.

And this is probably why TS doesn't like UK music. MOST (not all) of the bands listed here are awful. Some of them used to be good, like Your Demise, Architects and Enter Shikari, and some never were, like Young Guns. Heights really want to be a good hardcore band but fail at writing interesting music. Sylosis are a dull attempt and mixing metalcore with thrash and Evile suffer from the same problems as all modern thrash bands; they recreate instead of innovate.

Most of the UK scene thrives on doing stuff that other bands do, but doing it way worse. We have a trend culture in the UK and most people who listen to "alternative music" in the UK only listen to trendy bands, instead of ones that are actually good. They play on accessibility over quality. When did Architects suddenly become stupid popular?... it wasn't when Hollow Crown came out, which was their last good album.

Thanks for linking that band, that song is awesome, I'm gonna go check out some more of their stuff.

I totally agree with what you've said about the UK scene. I think Enter Shikari still have a few okay songs, but a lot of the bands people are into now truly suck. i.e. Young Guns, We Are The Ocean (they had one decent song and tried to go commercial straight away), and for Heights.. they are just monotonous droaning. I wanted to like them but I couldnt :/

I'm pretty amped about BMTH's new album, Shadow Moses is a fricken sick tuuuune. I know they're more commercial/popular, but out of all the heavy UK acts going down this route, I think they're doing the best
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k9qDxyxS3s

a more underground british band you guys might like = Housefires
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktwWkY-I_Og
MY DESIGN/PHOTOGRAPHY TUMBLR
Quote by SEALSniper1152

If you take a jar, and whisper what you want to hate into it, then close the jar, coat it in crunchy peanut butter, and shove it up your ass. I'm pretty sure you could hate everything after that.
Last edited by PETERFKNPARKER at Feb 1, 2013,
Amplifier. Not a huge band, but up there with the best prog bands.

Oceansize were utterly awesome. Then they split up.

Gallows are one of the best hardcore punk bands going.

Biffy Clyro are fantastic, when they play for themselves rather than their label.

Those are just ones coming off my head which I don't think have already been said.
LOOK

Call me Neutral.
Quote by da_
I wonder if you get more out put if you wire a battery to your penis.
While She Sleeps. Not sure if they've been mentioned yet, as I've only looked at the second page. Incredible metallic hardcore.
Blitz Kids as well do some really anthemic stadium rock that I recommend.
And Rise to Remain, who if you give a go are excellent.

Quote by FryingNemo
I saw Satan one day
He looked kinda gay
The bible hates gays
So Satan I shall slay
Amen.
I was going to say Radiohead, Muse, Anathema, Porcupine Tree and Tesseract, but they've all been mentioned before. The only other one I can think of is Haken.

There's a lot more going on in the UK than some other European countries.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Porcupine Tree is almost dead now I think.

A lot of my friends are getting excited about Arcane Roots, so I guess they're pretty good.
Steven Wilson has stated that he will return to Porcupine Tree but doesn't know when, so it's not dead.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Check out Blue Light Ride.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
Marshall 1960A
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Fender Stratocaster x3 (2 of them built from bits and pieces!)
There are good bands in todays UK music scene, you just have to look a little harder past the mountains of awful generic metalcore, post-hardcore, pop-punk and indie rock which cloud over most of the worthwhile stuff that is made in the UK. I recommend that you check out Tesseract, Chimp Spanner, Sylosis, Cryostorm, Frank Turner and Akord. Simply ignore hipster rubbish like Alt J.
Try Everything Everything. For me they are one of the most talented UK pop bands in the last 10 years.
Professional Guitarist and Guitar Educator
www.StuartBahn.com
Join my mailing list to receive a on creating an effective practice regime.
Quote by jackmaiden98
Burn the Fleet are an relatively new band from the UK. They're awesome.

I used to work with the bassist of BtF, Andy, at Cineworld in Southampton O.O wow, small world. I knew his band was getting popular though, fair play to the man.

Anyway, on topic, I'm not going to lie to you OP, you're right for the most part, there are bugger all good bands from the UK these days, few and far between. Most of it's just shite like Bring me the Hairspray. There are atleast a few good bands though, atleast when you scour mercilessly through history. One band from the UK that I always thought deserved more recognition is Dub War, most people know of the lead singer's other band Skindred, though I'd say DW are a lot better by far. Check out the album 'Wrong Side of Beautiful', it's probably one of the best albums you've never heard.
Last edited by EqualOfHeaven at May 13, 2013,
Page 1 of 2