Poll: Why are fat people fat?
Poll Options
View poll results: Why are fat people fat?
because they're lazy
58 48%
medical condition/emotionally damaged
10 8%
CAKE!!!!!
53 44%
Voters: 121.
Page 2 of 4
#41
I've thought this over and I'd definitely say it's being weak.

Lack of willpower is the biggest issue, nobody is happy being obese and anybody that says otherwise is in denial.

Another factor could be that people justify their obesity based on how many others are, which just diminished the chance they will push to get in shape.
Three Guitars >> Eleven Pedals >> Two Amps
Bandcamp (emo/indie/punk)


Quote by primusfan
> from louisville
> likes ween
> new favorite poster
#43
Quote by WantsLesPaul
They're just big boned


I've legitimately had somebody tell me that. You know that you have hit rock bottom when that is your excuse.
Three Guitars >> Eleven Pedals >> Two Amps
Bandcamp (emo/indie/punk)


Quote by primusfan
> from louisville
> likes ween
> new favorite poster
#44
As a side note: if you say it's because they're lazy, you have to also (and equally) say that they are unlucky in their genes or biological make-up. I know a lot of people who are lazy as fuck, but have the fortune of not growing fat as a result. Yes, they can do something about it, but they're also unlucky.
And what is more, there's been a bloody purple nose and some bloody purple clothes that were messing up the lobby floor. It's just apartment house rules so all you 'partment fools remember : one man's ceiling is another man's floor.
#45
most it's because they're not diciplined enough to carry on. at work ther's this fat woman who wants to diet but only on tuesday, wendsday and thursday, because weekends are holy and friday and monday are also 'part' of the weekend according to her. so people like this make me want to puke in their face
#46
Quote by Mister.Y
As a side note: if you say it's because they're lazy, you have to also (and equally) say that they are unlucky in their genes or biological make-up. I know a lot of people who are lazy as fuck, but have the fortune of not growing fat as a result. Yes, they can do something about it, but they're also unlucky.


Lazy = Unproductive

Lazy + No willpower against food = Fat
Three Guitars >> Eleven Pedals >> Two Amps
Bandcamp (emo/indie/punk)


Quote by primusfan
> from louisville
> likes ween
> new favorite poster
#47
Quote by ShameofaNation
Lazy = Unproductive

Lazy + No willpower against food = Fat


I'd say both of those are at least partially influenced by genes, though I couldn't tell how much. It's never just nurture or nature, it's an interaction between the two. I'm just saying that there probably are 'fat' people who are less lazy than some skinny people, as a point of nuance (which is something that mostly goes unappreciated in debates).
And what is more, there's been a bloody purple nose and some bloody purple clothes that were messing up the lobby floor. It's just apartment house rules so all you 'partment fools remember : one man's ceiling is another man's floor.
#48
the majority of fatness is due to diet. Of course if you don't want to be flabby and unhealthy you definitely need to be at least slightly active.

some people are more predisposed to being fat than others, but probably 99% of them could do something about it if they wanted to. speaking from my own background, everyone in my family says that fatness is in our genes, but I'm willing to bet anything it's because it's because they're almost completely sedentary and eat rice like 6 times a day. correlation =/= causation etc
cat
#49
Quote by Mister.Y
I'd say both of those are at least partially influenced by genes, though I couldn't tell how much. It's never just nurture or nature, it's an interaction between the two. I'm just saying that there probably are 'fat' people who are less lazy than some skinny people, as a point of nuance (which is something that mostly goes unappreciated in debates).


I'd say genes do have something to do with how easily you can get fat to a degree, but that doesn't mean those people can't be in shape. It just takes the motivation to do something. Nobody HAS to be fat.

I didn't, and both of my parents are overweight.
Three Guitars >> Eleven Pedals >> Two Amps
Bandcamp (emo/indie/punk)


Quote by primusfan
> from louisville
> likes ween
> new favorite poster
Last edited by ShameofaNation at Jan 30, 2013,
#51
Quote by bloodtrocuted93
Oh yes, there is one answer to this because all obese people are the same.


Sure there are variables, but I'm sure there are some generalization that can be applied to most obese people.
Three Guitars >> Eleven Pedals >> Two Amps
Bandcamp (emo/indie/punk)


Quote by primusfan
> from louisville
> likes ween
> new favorite poster
#52
Quote by ShameofaNation
I'd say genes do have something to do with how easily you can get fat to a degree, but that doesn't mean those people can't be in shape. It just takes the motivation to do something. Nobody HAS to be fat.

I didn't, and both of my parents are overweight.


I agree (see my earlier posts), except for those very few with a serious illness.
And what is more, there's been a bloody purple nose and some bloody purple clothes that were messing up the lobby floor. It's just apartment house rules so all you 'partment fools remember : one man's ceiling is another man's floor.
#53
Sedentary lifestyles combined with excessive calorie consumption.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson


O__o
#54
Agreed, unless you've actually been diagnosed with a thyroid issue, you're just making excuses for yourself.

Not to mention ruining all credibility for those that ACTUALLY have those issues. It's like crying rape, but crying fat.
Three Guitars >> Eleven Pedals >> Two Amps
Bandcamp (emo/indie/punk)


Quote by primusfan
> from louisville
> likes ween
> new favorite poster
#58
Genes n shit. I eat non stop and barely do anything and I dont break 150. I just take a lot of massive shits.
#59
I know for some it's just laziness, but to say that's the only reason is short sighted. Clearly each person is different, and not all will have the same reasons.
#60
Quote by Ssargentslayer
Genes n shit. I eat non stop and barely do anything and I dont break 150. I just take a lot of massive shits.



Most people I've met who say the first bit, when they actually do the math and count their calories, & adjust for their activity rates, aren't really eating that much.

Sure, metabolism speed plays a role, but for people who don't have retention problems, I think the effect is minor.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson


O__o
#61
Genes and big bones.


The difference between a "fast" metabolism and a "slow" one is about half a peanut butter sandwich per day.
#62
If we are talking about people who are so disgustingly obese that they can barely walk then I absolutely do not believe that it was due to anything other than being extremely lazy.

Sure you can be large due to genetics, but there is a limit.
#63
You're fat, you disgust me, and yes, you should kill yourself.


Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
#64
Quote by theguitarist
Most people I've met who say the first bit, when they actually do the math and count their calories, & adjust for their activity rates, aren't really eating that much.

Sure, metabolism speed plays a role, but for people who don't have retention problems, I think the effect is minor.


Hmmm...

All I have is anecdotal evidence to the contrary, but my wife's mother eats truly ridiculous amounts of food every day, does not exercise and maintains in the 105-110 range and has for years.

Seriously, she eats far more than I do, going so far as to get up at night and eat leftovers and/or sweets. It's a running joke when she stays at our house that 'no food is safe'.

I had a roommate several years ago that was the same way. Poor bastard was actively trying to gain weight using supplements and massive quantities of food and it just didn't happen.

But admittedly those are the only two I know of, and that's hardly a competent sample size.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
#65
Portion size is important too - even if you constantly snack throughout the day you might still be eating less than someone who eats 3 large meals. The details of most metabolic pathways still need to be researched further. But definitely if calories in > calories out you will gain weight, you just have to find out how to strike a balance where you want it to be.
cat
#66
Obese people can lose most of their weight by diet alone. So it's not laziness, it's ignorance. People don't realize how fattening some foods are.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
#67
Quote by fail
Obese people can lose most of their weight by diet alone. So it's not laziness, it's ignorance. People don't realize how fattening some foods are.

#68
Quote by CoreysMonster
bread makes you fat


I thought of exactly that.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
#69
If you're lazy, you're emotionally damaged because you're lazy. If someone is fat, it's in his or her genetics to be fat, either because it's in their genetics to have a really low metabolism, or it's in their genetics to be lazy, or it's in their genetics to be both. If you think about it, all we are are our (are are our lol) genetics.
Last edited by MrDo0m at Jan 30, 2013,
#70
There's no single kind of "fat people."

The ones I sympathize the most with are the ones who have fat parents and they're pretty much obese before they can remember. Their parents overfeed them McDonalds and KFC and they can eat whenever they want. That's a cause of fat people.

I don't think the emotionally damaged kind are too common but I can see it. I know people who don't eat a lot or eat healthy, but if they're ever going through tough shit like a really bad break-up, they just eat non-stop, like really bad junk food.

You also have what I think is the majority, were people get older, metabolism starts to suck, and their life gets boring and they just eat.

And some people just f*cking love food.
#71
A majority of people aren't fat and because they've accomplished so little in their lives they want to tear down fat people and try to build themselves up with some ****ed up feeling that they actually did something to be thin, when most of even those people don't have to exercise.

In short, **** you self important cuntcandles.
#72
I sympathize for "fat people" because I used to be overweight myself. I used to be scrawny growing up, then I gained a shit load of weight and actually got fat, then I lost a lot of weight in just several months from diet and exercise. I think in general people treat you with less respect when you are "fat" as opposed to when you are "scrawny."
Last edited by MrDo0m at Jan 30, 2013,
#73
Quote by MrDo0m
I sympathize for "fat people" because I used to be overweight myself. I used to be scrawny growing up, then I gained a shit load of weight and actually got fat, then I lost a lot of weight in just several months from diet and exercise. I think in general people treat you with less respect when you are "fat" as opposed to when you are "scrawny."


Did your genes tell you to lose weight?
And what is more, there's been a bloody purple nose and some bloody purple clothes that were messing up the lobby floor. It's just apartment house rules so all you 'partment fools remember : one man's ceiling is another man's floor.
#74
Quote by Mister.Y
Did your genes tell you to lose weight?


No, my jeans told me to.


bah dum tss
Last edited by MrDo0m at Jan 30, 2013,
#75
Quote by The Madcap
There's no single kind of "fat people."

The ones I sympathize the most with are the ones who have fat parents and they're pretty much obese before they can remember. Their parents overfeed them McDonalds and KFC and they can eat whenever they want. That's a cause of fat people.I don't think the emotionally damaged kind are too common but I can see it. I know people who don't eat a lot or eat healthy, but if they're ever going through tough shit like a really bad break-up, they just eat non-stop, like really bad junk food.

You also have what I think is the majority, were people get older, metabolism starts to suck, and their life gets boring and they just eat.

And some people just f*cking love food.



I mentioned that in my post. Sometimes fat parents can make for a fat baby and then that baby becomes a fat kid and so forth rises someday a fat adult to likely repeat the process with another fat adult who actually gets its on with them.

Even then once you reach a certain age you can see for yourself waht needs to be done and find the will power to do so.

Even with a slow metabolism you can work harder than others to make up for it. Its called dealing with it.

The only true excuse to me is whatever gland or thyroid problem as that legit makes it hard to lose and keep weight off. Other than that you CAN make yourself get up and get in shape.

Though i will say i dont mind a girl with some meat on her bones.........
Knowledge is power
#76
1.90 m - 64 kg.
Think I landed in the wrong thread.
PACIFIC/OCEAN
PACIFIC OCE/AN
PACIFIC OCEAN/
PACIFIC_OCEAN
PACIFIC OCEA_N
_PACIFIC OCEAN
#77
Quote by Random3
If we are talking about people who are so disgustingly obese that they can barely walk then I absolutely do not believe that it was due to anything other than being extremely lazy.

Sure you can be large due to genetics, but there is a limit.


I agree.

If a person is morbidly obese, then obviously they're lazy and disgusting. But I know some heavier people who eat well, and workout, and they're still big. Not OBESE, but they've got some flab. Maybe they aren't doing something right, but they're at least TRYING. Hardly what I would call lazy.

Quote by captaincrunk
A majority of people aren't fat and because they've accomplished so little in their lives they want to tear down fat people and try to build themselves up with some ****ed up feeling that they actually did something to be thin, when most of even those people don't have to exercise.

In short, **** you self important cuntcandles.


I actually kind of agree with this.
I'm gonna suffer for the rest of my life

But I will always find a way to survive
Last edited by StopReadingThis at Jan 30, 2013,
#78
I just ate two bananas and an apple and I'm about to drink 2l of milk and I'm really excited about the idea of it tbh
#79
people that are a bit fat are mostly just lazy cunts (myself)

people that are really fat are more likely to be emotionally damaged or whatevs

or whatever
Quote by captaincrunk
A majority of people aren't fat and because they've accomplished so little in their lives they want to tear down fat people and try to build themselves up with some ****ed up feeling that they actually did something to be thin, when most of even those people don't have to exercise.

In short, **** you self important cuntcandles.

yep

i was raised fat, basically my grandma fed me chocolate all day errday for years when i was very young

and ive stayed fat since

not because i dont exercise enough or eat too much, but because my grandma is a very nice woman
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Last edited by Burgery at Jan 30, 2013,
#80
I watch Embarrassing Fat Bodies on TV quite regularly. Some of the stories on there make me sad

Some are really stupid though, like the woman who ate 10 Yorkshire puddings for lunch and dinner and when presented with vegetables she was like "why would someone eat leaves?".

Forza Juve


'e voglia 'e mettere rum, chi nasce strunz' nun po' addiventà babbà