Page 1 of 3
gtgates
368 IQ
Hello again guys
I have problem with my playing and tone recently .I realized I cant play like me when i play in front of my friends[you know showing licks etc..].. I play like an amatuer in front of my friends . actually I dont know what to play in front of them...

Im using ernie ball coated strings since 3 months they were really good but these days they fell rusty and they sound different[bad].

..and I think because of that Im in a rut again..I cant do legato and stuff its feels less distortion I cant feel the strings...I feel like im getting worse at guitar...I have a mind block or smth like that..

Here is some of my recordings.Please criticize

Thanks
Last edited by gtgates at Apr 20, 2013,
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
3,409 IQ
Change your strings if they feel bad.

Judging by the demos you can play pretty well technically. Though I didn't really bother to listen to your playing for more than three minutes because it was too much shred. (Nothing wrong with it if that's what you want to do but I'm not sure if people want to listen to it. I mean, people want to hear something more musical.)

Why do you play in front of your friends? Are they guitarists or do they just want to hear you play? If you don't know what to play, play some songs that you like. Maybe jam with your friends if they play some instruments. I feel it's easier to jam with people than just show your skills to people who can't play.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Yamaha FG720S-12
Tokai TB48
Laney VC30
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Hail
i'm a mean bully
431 IQ
dude guitar strings are like $5 you pussy i have to pay $35 for mine

and wait when i get a 7 string bass

god i hate you
Quote by theogonia777
Hail killed MT

Quote by jongtr
I want to be Hail when I grow up.
food1010
Bassist
1,660 IQ
Quote by Hail
dude guitar strings are like $5 you pussy i have to pay $35 for mine

and wait when i get a 7 string bass

god i hate you
That's why I never change my bass strings. Buying bass strings is such a bitch.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Hail
i'm a mean bully
431 IQ
Quote by food1010
That's why I never change my bass strings. Buying bass strings is such a bitch.

yeah you can usually get away with it, but i play pretty intensely so there's contrast/dynamics (and so i can cut-through without needing a pick). i broke my low E on my backup bass the other day with my double-thumb getting a little too friendly

but if i were to join a modern metal band, i'd definitely need a fresh set every month or two to keep that crisp sound up, especially in lower-tuned stuff (which i'd love to do so i'd have an excuse to get a dingwall combustion)

but damn, i may as well just learn to wind my own strings so i don't have to choose between groceries and strings when i'm a starving artist with no future
Quote by theogonia777
Hail killed MT

Quote by jongtr
food1010
Bassist
1,660 IQ
Yeah I tend to go for the darker tone anyway, so I'm able to deal with old dull strings. It's been years since I've broken a bass string. I broke the G once doing some slap/pop and the low E once playing standard fingerstyle I believe (clearly way too hard).
-Chick Corea
Hail
i'm a mean bully
431 IQ
there's no such thing as too hard when you need to cut through the mix since i play chords a lot i need to overcompensate on single note runs or use a lot of compression that kills any chance of dynamics

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=4727809787831 lol
Quote by theogonia777
Hail killed MT

Quote by jongtr
gtgates
368 IQ
Quote by MaggaraMarine
Change your strings if they feel bad.

Judging by the demos you can play pretty well technically. Though I didn't really bother to listen to your playing for more than three minutes because it was too much shred. (Nothing wrong with it if that's what you want to do but I'm not sure if people want to listen to it. I mean, people want to hear something more musical.)

Why do you play in front of your friends? Are they guitarists or do they just want to hear you play? If you don't know what to play, play some songs that you like. Maybe jam with your friends if they play some instruments. I feel it's easier to jam with people than just show your skills to people who can't play.

thanks man.. they want me to play..Or When I try guitar ar guitar shop...tone feels shitty and I canf show myself

and lol strings much more expensive in turkey...
and its hard to find coated strings
thanks for advices
Last edited by gtgates at Jan 31, 2013,
Sleepy__Head
A cornucopia of trivia
54 IQ
Yeah - shred is alright in short bursts but most people like a decent melody. So work on that.

Y'ain't got nothing to be embarrassed about in the finger department though.
Quote by Hail
oh shut up with that /mu/ bullshit. fidget house shouldn't even be a genre, why in the world would it deserve its own subgenres you twat
Hail
i'm a mean bully
431 IQ
if i tell you yes will you stop doing it before every other note
Quote by theogonia777
Hail killed MT

Quote by jongtr
gtgates
368 IQ
Quote by Hail
if i tell you yes will you stop doing it before every other note

i dunno bro maybe
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
3,409 IQ
Quote by gtgates
thanks man.. they want me to play..Or When I try guitar ar guitar shop...tone feels shitty and I canf show myself

and lol strings much more expensive in turkey...
and its hard to find coated strings
thanks for advices

I sometimes have the same problem when I go to guitar store. But before I go to the store, I decide some songs that I'm going to play and that are pretty easy for me to play (for example Guns N' Roses - Welcome to the Jungle). Remember that you don't go to music store to show your skills but try some gear that you might buy. Of course you don't want to embarrass yourself and fail when you play Smoke on the Water.

When you play alone, it doesn't matter if you do stupid mistakes because nobody's there to laugh at you. Maybe choose a song that you want your friends to hear (not just mindless shredding). It could be some more popular song that they know. I think they will be more happy to hear a song that they know than some mindless shredding. So if you know some songs pretty well, maybe play them. You don't need to show all your skills. Yeah, playing in front of friends is pretty much the same as going to music store and trying some amps/guitars, I would play the same things in both situations.

About the string problems: You should always have some money to buy new strings. If you need to change strings frequently, maybe buy a large package of strings. Then you don't need to buy new strings all the time. If you know what strings you are going to use, buy them online if you can't find them anywhere else. And buy more than one set of strings at the time.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Yamaha FG720S-12
Tokai TB48
Laney VC30
Hartke HyDrive 210c
gtgates
368 IQ
Quote by MaggaraMarine
I sometimes have the same problem when I go to guitar store. But before I go to the store, I decide some songs that I'm going to play and that are pretty easy for me to play (for example Guns N' Roses - Welcome to the Jungle). Remember that you don't go to music store to show your skills but try some gear that you might buy. Of course you don't want to embarrass yourself and fail when you play Smoke on the Water.

When you play alone, it doesn't matter if you do stupid mistakes because nobody's there to laugh at you. Maybe choose a song that you want your friends to hear (not just mindless shredding). It could be some more popular song that they know. I think they will be more happy to hear a song that they know than some mindless shredding. So if you know some songs pretty well, maybe play them. You don't need to show all your skills. Yeah, playing in front of friends is pretty much the same as going to music store and trying some amps/guitars, I would play the same things in both situations.

About the string problems: You should always have some money to buy new strings. If you need to change strings frequently, maybe buy a large package of strings. Then you don't need to buy new strings all the time. If you know what strings you are going to use, buy them online if you can't find them anywhere else. And buy more than one set of strings at the time.

thanks man..
gtgates
368 IQ
Hello I just made Sweet Child O'Mine's solo cover...I transcribed the solo without listening ...Can you please criticize?
Last edited by gtgates at Jun 24, 2014,
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
3,409 IQ
Without listening? What do you mean? You transcribed a solo without even listening to the song?

BTW. They are in Eb tuning. Doesn't really matter.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Yamaha FG720S-12
Tokai TB48
Laney VC30
Hartke HyDrive 210c
gtgates
368 IQ
Quote by MaggaraMarine
Without listening? What do you mean? You transcribed a solo without even listening to the song?

BTW. They are in Eb tuning. Doesn't really matter.

lol not like that of course I know the song I just didnt listened it while i was transcribeng it I just learned it with its melody in my head and I played it on Standart Tunning...
Last edited by gtgates at Jan 31, 2013,
Hail
i'm a mean bully
431 IQ
congrats now you can play at an 8th grade talent show and not get completely booed off stage
Quote by theogonia777
Hail killed MT

Quote by jongtr
food1010
Bassist
1,660 IQ
Honestly dude it's hard to tell how it sounds half of the time because your webcam cuts out a lot.
-Chick Corea
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd
468 IQ
I would highly suggest you don't post videos until you have a somewhat decent camera/recorder. It's hard to hear and see what you're doing.

How do you practice?
ouchies
UG's OG
1,613 IQ
Do everyone a favor and if you're playing for a bunch of people alone... don't shred for 10 minutes, just jam out on chords. Or at least hint to the chords that are backing and provide some sort of groove.

Your soloing sounds decent enough so try to put it together with your rhythm playing. Pretend like you're in a trio.
Hail
i'm a mean bully
431 IQ
pretend you're gonna get evicted if you suck

then if you proceed to get evicted, film yourself being homeless and you'll eventually be a better guitarist. keep doing this until you're matthew kane
Quote by theogonia777
Hail killed MT

Quote by jongtr
gtgates
368 IQ
haha thanks for the advices guys...
and Im not homeless [yet] Im 17 years old...and I record myself everyday so I can see my progress
Sleepy__Head
A cornucopia of trivia
54 IQ
Tbh recording yourself once a week is probably enough. Day-by-day progress is usually imperceptible with an instrument - progress is usually only perceptible over slightly longer periods of time.
Quote by Hail
oh shut up with that /mu/ bullshit. fidget house shouldn't even be a genre, why in the world would it deserve its own subgenres you twat
Sleepy__Head
A cornucopia of trivia
54 IQ
Quote by chronowarp
I hurt myself by watching those videos.

Fixed
Quote by Hail
gtgates
368 IQ
Quote by chronowarp
those videos made me want to hurt myself.

start practicing music.

sorry for that...
and that post gave me sadness and probably some other stuff...
chronowarp
43 IQ
Quote by gtgates
sorry for that...
and that post gave me sadness and probably some other stuff...

Don't take it the wrong way.
It's not that you are bad at guitar, it's that if you think you're in a RUT, it's because you aren't playing music with the technical abilities you have available to you.

We've all probably been there on some level. I can remember being in a similar position. From listening to you play it seems like you probably sit down and practice technical exercises and try to play things fast, but you probably don't learn a lot of songs or transcribe solos.

You really should just start playing music.
Last edited by chronowarp at Feb 1, 2013,
gtgates
368 IQ
Quote by chronowarp
Don't take it the wrong way.
It's not that you are bad at guitar, it's that if you think you're in a RUT, it's because you aren't playing music with the technical abilities you have available to you.

We've all probably been there on some level. I can remember being in a similar position. From listening to you play it seems like you probably sit down and practice technical exercises and try to play things fast, but you probably don't learn a lot of songs or transcribe solos.

You really should just start playing music.

thanks man ... thats exactly my problem now I realised that I play sh.ty stuff with backing tracks when Im in rut...
Sleepy__Head
A cornucopia of trivia
54 IQ
Yeah - don't worry about us all talking shit. That's just how things are here. And you'll be better off with 1 honest opinion than 20 false ones. Unfortunately what you have are 20 honest opinions and that can be a bit raw sometimes.

Srsly though - don't record yourself so much - you won't get as much out of it as you think you will. You'd be better off thinking more about music and where you want to go with that - let your influences carry you to different places and see what those places are like.

And screw your friends if they laugh at you.

Er - as in 'ignore your friends', not 'have sex with your friends'.
Quote by Hail
Hail
i'm a mean bully
431 IQ
have sex with them then ignore them

it's like the V-I punch
Quote by theogonia777
Hail killed MT

Quote by jongtr
Guitarra_acores
200 IQ
Why do I get the feeling this is a "hey guyz look at me and tell me I'm great plz" threads?

Anyway, I think you're pretty developed technique wise.
I would suggest you work on your musicianship if you want to be more "listenable". It's not that I think you lack it (can't tell by the clips) it's just that people enjoy simple music played with good tone,dynamics,groove, etc more than random really fast notes coming out of the amp.
Sleepy__Head
A cornucopia of trivia
54 IQ
Quote by Hail
have sex with them then ignore them

it's like the V-I punch

So you're saying that every ex girlfriend of mine was really into tonal music.

That's deep, man.
Quote by Hail
gtgates
368 IQ
Quote by Guitarra_acores
Why do I get the feeling this is a "hey guyz look at me and tell me I'm great plz" threads?

Anyway, I think you're pretty developed technique wise.
I would suggest you work on your musicianship if you want to be more "listenable". It's not that I think you lack it (can't tell by the clips) it's just that people enjoy simple music played with good tone,dynamics,groove, etc more than random really fast notes coming out of the amp.

thanks for the advices and not really man I didnt mean like that.. sometimes I find myself in a mindblock and i feel suck and when I go play in a diffrent place I cant play a shit [cant show myself]..Of course I would love to hear good critics like everybody, but main point that i added my videos to get some advices to get over it.
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd
468 IQ
Quote by gtgates
thanks for the advices and not really man I didnt mean like that.. sometimes I find myself in a mindblock and i feel suck and when I go play in a diffrent place I cant play a shit [cant show myself]..Of course I would love to hear good critics like everybody, but main point that i added my videos to get some advices to get over it.

I would say the only solution to getting more comfortable playing places/for friends is to keep doing it and being confident in yourself. I would suggest learning a popular song or two that they like and doodle around that when you're with them. Doing that will end up in them complimenting your skill(even if it is just a simple pop song) and giving you a confidence boost, which will hopefully make you more comfortable playing stuff you like.
gtgates
368 IQ
I tried some improv on backing tracks... I tried to use my musical side than my technical side..
and I have a question for you guys... Which scales Synyster Gates uses?
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
3,409 IQ
^ It's better to find it out by yourself. Just listen to his solos and learn to play them. Remember that scales don't make you sound like somebody. (And I bet he uses the same scales as everybody else = major and minor and accidentals.)
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Yamaha FG720S-12
Tokai TB48
Laney VC30
Hartke HyDrive 210c
gtgates
368 IQ
Quote by MaggaraMarine
^ It's better to find it out by yourself. Just listen to his solos and learn to play them. Remember that scales don't make you sound like somebody. (And I bet he uses the same scales as everybody else = major and minor and accidentals.)

I know that... I dont use scales..When I play with backing tracks I just make a scale my own...I always learn and figure out things by ear.
but I just want to know which scales he uses and learn a little bit about music theory he makes really cool harmonies he mixes major and minors...I can play Afterlife Nightmare and Bat Country's solos with harmonises...
Last edited by gtgates at Feb 3, 2013,
gtgates
368 IQ
I just learned Asian Hooker's solo...I really need a good camera