Page 2 of 3
Hello guys sup?
I just bought a new phone so Im using it's camera now...I still play shitty in front of people I have a lot of cool licks but when im around them i cant show them.and I get a shitty feeling "I forgot what to play feel". whatever Im going to buy Boss Componet Sustainer 3 and a pedal adopter today yay!...Any other advices that you can give me?
Last edited by gtgates at Jun 24, 2014,
stop playing that crap cause it's annoying
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
That kind of lead playing is flashy and probably will impress people but it gets really really boring... like really really fast.

If it's just you and the guitar I would say try rythm and lead combined (a la hendrix, little wing for example), chord melody or simple open chord strumming of happy mood hit songs... if you can't sing invite everyone to do it. Of course this is assuming any of these styles interest you, I wouldn't advise you to play things you don't enjoy.

And most of all don't get in the mindset of "I'm going to play my best lick, the best I ever did", don't put yourself under that kind of pressure, just relax and try to have fun
Last edited by Guitarra_acores at Feb 19, 2013,
Quote by Guitarra_acores
That kind of lead playing is flashy and probably will impress people

not when it's sloppier than my asshole
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Hail

LOL I like that phrasing.

I think 90% of non musicians would be very impressed by this last video. Fast notes and a lot of gain, their ears can't even really pick up what's going on. Guitar players are much more aware of flaws and what could be improved but I'm assuming he's not playing to guitar players.

Well anyway, my point was he should play stuff that's more "ear friendly" if he wants to entertain people.
Quote by Hail

every guitar player is sloppy. Im not a pro player "yet".Im not Petrucci or Malmsteen..well at least I can still kick your ass and some other asses..yayyy...
and also Im not sloopier than your darkhole!
If you watch my other videos you can see that. my strings are melted with my sweet I'm gonna change them..
Last edited by gtgates at Feb 21, 2013,
Quote by gtgates
every guitar player is sloppy. Im not a pro player "yet".Im not Petrucci or Malmsteen..well at least I can still kick your ass and some other asses..yayyy...
and also Im not sloopier than your darkhole!
If you watch my other videos you can see that. my strings are melted with my sweet I'm gonna change them..

OK, if somebody tells you that you are sloppy, I would listen to him and start practicing with a metronome. And I would practice slowly. You might not be able to tell if you are sloppy. I know Hail can be a bit harsh with his comments but you need to get used to it. Most of the time he's right. And you can't justify the sloppiness by saying that Jimmy Page, Kirk Hammett, Jimi Hendrix, Slash, etc. are sloppy. So what? You can get rid of your sloppiness and sound better. I would really try to play some slower music too, not just shredding. The slower parts in your music will make the faster parts sound much faster. If there's only one fast part in your song, people will be like "wow, how did he do that!" But if there's shredding all the time, they will get bored.

And I wouldn't blame my gear for being sloppy. The fault is in your technique. I see that you move your fingers (especially pinky) a lot, you could do something to that. The more relaxed your hands are, the easier it's to play fast and accurately. And if your fingers move a lot, your hand isn't really relaxed.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
OK, if somebody tells you that you are sloppy, I would listen to him and start practicing with a metronome. And I would practice slowly. You might not be able to tell if you are sloppy. I know Hail can be a bit harsh with his comments but you need to get used to it. Most of the time he's right. And you can't justify the sloppiness by saying that Jimmy Page, Kirk Hammett, Jimi Hendrix, Slash, etc. are sloppy. So what? You can get rid of your sloppiness and sound better. I would really try to play some slower music too, not just shredding. The slower parts in your music will make the faster parts sound much faster. If there's only one fast part in your song, people will be like "wow, how did he do that!" But if there's shredding all the time, they will get bored.

And I wouldn't blame my gear for being sloppy. The fault is in your technique. I see that you move your fingers (especially pinky) a lot, you could do something to that. The more relaxed your hands are, the easier it's to play fast and accurately. And if your fingers move a lot, your hand isn't really relaxed.

thanks man. and thanks Hail than.. Im listening him but sometimes he seems like a bully....
I dont really know how to use metronome properly I always try it but I cant manage to use it right way..
Actually Im sloopy yeahhh and mostly when Im in a rut.. and my strings feel really tight and lately I noticed that my right hand picking technique changed a lot I was picking like Petrucci but lately Im rolling the pick like malmsteen which allowes me to play super fast on 1 string but when it comes to mulltiple string stuff I cant really do them like i used to be..Im still trying to fix that...
Yeah, try some exercises and play them with metronome. Start with slow tempo and play it as accurately as you can. And pay attention to the sloppiness/accuracy of your playing. If you can do it on slower tempos, it's easier to play it faster. If you hear sloppy parts, then don't play it faster. First try to make it sound very accurate and clean, concentrate on sloppy parts, and after that play it a bit faster. Speed and accuracy will come over time. I know I'm really not that fast player, my fast playing is really sloppy, but I'm practicing stuff and I have noticed that I have become much more accurate and a bit faster than I was half a year ago.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Is that what you always play when you play guitar? Do you play any songs or just shred on your guitar?
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
Is that what you always play when you play guitar? Do you play any songs or just shred on your guitar?

I always learn when I hear a cool lick or a sound... I listen than figure out it with ear... Im learning Dream Theater's and A7x's solos by ear. I know a lot of riffs..If someone tell me a song I can play its riff etc...

I know a lot of a7x's solos I can play them easyly.I learn them both harmonies..
I just learned Best Of Times solo with sweep arpegio parts..Lines in the sand and there is more..
But mostly Im trying to make cool licks myself...ççç
When Im bored I play on backing tracks I make my own scales after listen the track..

and for the other questions yeah I try to make my own solos...but I like making cool licks than add them to my solos...
Quote by ouchies
^ so no he only shreds
This.

TS, learn some god damn songs. No I don't mean riffs. I mean learn a song from start to finish.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by food1010
This.

TS, learn some god damn songs. No I don't mean riffs. I mean learn a song from start to finish.

Of course I know some songs start to finish...but I cant really tell which ones I know

...Im not really a fan of making full covers.
everybody does that...
Quote by gtgates
Of course I know some songs start to finish...but I cant really tell which ones I know

...Im not really a fan of making full covers.
everybody does that...

Hipster...

Guitar is there to play music, not just shred. IMO shredding stops being music if you shred all the time. The musical value disappears. It's just pure technique, no music. Music is there for people to listen to, it's not technical exercises.

So to your original question about playing in front of your friends/in a guitar store when you want to try some amps/guitars: Play music. Learn whole songs. Learn their structure, chords, melodies, rhythms, everything. LEARN MUSIC. It's not all about riffs and solos, it's about the whole song.

If you want to play in front of your friends, they want to hear you to play songs, not just random shredding. They might be impressed for a minute or two but after that your guitar wanking will just annoy them. So learn some whole songs and then you know what to play in front of your friends. You might ask them what songs they want to hear. And then learn the songs and next time you meet, play the songs they want to hear.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
learn some emperor and appreciate simplicity you pussy

also pinkly smooth, it's like a7x if they were original and kicked every idiot who didn't know his instrument out
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
TS, let me ask you this: Why did you start playing guitar?

Did you start with the intention of making music or did you just pick up the instrument for the sport of it?

Another question: Do you even enjoy listening to songs? Or do you skip to the guitar solo in every song you hear?

No one who could accurately be described as a music fan wants to hear a bunch of riffs thrown together. That's not music.
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at Feb 22, 2013,
Quote by Hail
learn some emperor and appreciate simplicity you pussy

also pinkly smooth, it's like a7x if they were original and kicked every idiot who didn't know his instrument out

Best post in the entire damn thread.
Quote by food1010
TS, let me ask you this: Why did you start playing guitar?

Did you start with the intention of making music or did you just pick up the instrument for the sport of it?

Another question: Do you even enjoy listening to songs? Or do you skip to the guitar solo in every song you hear?

No one who could accurately be described as a music fan wants to hear a bunch of riffs thrown together. That's not music.

I picked the guitar because I love to inspire people.Im not a poser.Im not playing guitar for to be cool or chicks..If I were a poser I would get bored quickly bored and and never would play again.[seriously I am a temperamental guy..But I never gived up on guitar]

When I first heard REAL MUSIC my best friend and i were gone to play guitar hero I heard Master Of Puppets and It was the best thing I have ever heard...I was so full of energy when the first time I listened that. I got really inspired.
than I learned a lot of other bands and other style musics... and I was have a 2 choice I can get a Guitar Hero set or a Cort x6 guitar... and luckly old me chosed electric guitar
2 years I learned with tabs ... than I learned evertyting by ear never used tab again
This is my 4th year..Im still learning and progressing

no I always listen songs...I dont skip.. but I always love to challenge myself..So mostly I try to get inspire by my favorite part of any song...[a cool lick/riff or solo or whole song]

Im trying to make something fresh...Because whenever i look around I see a lot of copies like Malmsteen copies or there is mega technical maniacs... with a death metal tshirt and long hair...

than I see some idiots who says there is a lot of musicians in youtube who can cover dream theater without a mistake they are not famous so you cant be .... BULLLSSSSSSSSHHH::::::::::::T

Its not about making covers...If you listen these youtube bands original songs all you can hear is some dream theater copy stuff...
Its about making somethig fresh..We already have a Dream Theater

I love Music! I never skip a song when i listen.but I always transcribe favorite parts of a song...I can play anything but in my way..I dont want to be the same....Forget about my sloopy shred videos for now...

I just dont want to do something that already made... Of course Im making covers too but Im not really into that..
aka he doesn't really like or listen to music he's just in it for an ego boost
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Ok great. You are able to focus on learning what inspires you. That's important.

Now, to take that further, you have to learn how to use this vocabulary in context. Before you can innovate, you MUST imitate first. Therefore, you need to learn full songs. By learning portions of songs you are essentially telling yourself that the context is irrelevant. You enjoy listening to the whole songs, so why not learn them? Like I said, it's really tough to innovate without first gathering all of the vocabulary you possibly can.

Another thing: You shouldn't really force innovation. If you transcribe as much as you can, and develop the vocabulary from other musicians, you will inevitably create something unique, simply because the kinds of things that interest you are different than what interests anyone else.

Do you transcribe music yourself or do you read tabs? I can't remember if you said anything about that.
-Chick Corea
oh crrraassspppp...Im in a rut again or my ears somehow in a rut...I cant play on a backing track now... -_-! and i cant transcribe in right way with my ears...awww
I worked out a lot yesterday I worked my wrist a lot and my hand is not feeling right what should i do_
Last edited by gtgates at Feb 27, 2013,
Dude, it's been a month. Sounds to me like you never broke out of the first rut.

It sounds to me like you force things too much.

Always practice smart, which includes knowing when NOT to play. If you are having pains in your hand, take a break. It'll probably be a good thing. In my experience, taking a week (or more depending on the rut) can do wonders for rekindling your passion for music. Sometimes your body/mind have just had too much and they need a rest.

If not playing at all isn't an option, just take things slow. Transcribe simple songs. Like, even simpler than you think is actually simple. Likewise, try playing slow over a backing track, being intentional about every single note you play.
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at Feb 27, 2013,
thanks man...
Im scared of taking breaks..I dunno know why but I cant stand a day..
Also Im getting scared when i get a "I forgot my licks" kinda feel or thougt....

I started to transcribe The Spirit Carries On Which is simple than Other Dream Theater songs Rite of Passage by Dream Theater
I just bought Boss Cs3 Sustainer..Its not really changing the tone but It gives a really great feel.
just break your guitar and get a hobby you don't suck at, jesus christ
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
I don't mean to be rude, but, I love technical playing. I can listen to near enough pure shred for hours and not get bored, but your videos really put me to sleep, and by the look on your face, you're bored, too. Look at the facts, you've been playing for four years, you can't play to a metronome and your knowledge of scales is very nearly nonexistent. You can move your fingers pretty fast, but there's no melody. And I don't mean bending notes and playing slowly, kind of melody, I mean, well placed, executed and thought out runs, Sea of Lies by Symphony X has an amazing tapping run that happens to be absurdly, Unholy War cry by Rhapsody, very unwell composed sweeps, and when I listen to what others call shred, I want a technical composition, not 'every note ever because the guitarist is fast.'

I think you need to play some musical, technical music, and practice it. People aren't as stupid as we musicians tend to think, they do know the difference between a random assortment of sweeps and the intro of Alaska, so if you're concerned that you can't play in front of, or aren't entertaining your friends, then practice something impressive, but musical, never forget; "An amateur practises until they get it right. A professional practices until they can't get it wrong."
Quote by gtgates
thanks man...
Im scared of taking breaks..
Do it, pussy.

No, seriously though. You need it. Take a day off at first. See if it helps. If not, take a few days off the next time.
-Chick Corea
Quote by CelestialGuitar
I don't mean to be rude, but, I love technical playing. I can listen to near enough pure shred for hours and not get bored, but your videos really put me to sleep, and by the look on your face, you're bored, too. Look at the facts, you've been playing for four years, you can't play to a metronome and your knowledge of scales is very nearly nonexistent. You can move your fingers pretty fast, but there's no melody. And I don't mean bending notes and playing slowly, kind of melody, I mean, well placed, executed and thought out runs, Sea of Lies by Symphony X has an amazing tapping run that happens to be absurdly, Unholy War cry by Rhapsody, very unwell composed sweeps, and when I listen to what others call shred, I want a technical composition, not 'every note ever because the guitarist is fast.'

I think you need to play some musical, technical music, and practice it. People aren't as stupid as we musicians tend to think, they do know the difference between a random assortment of sweeps and the intro of Alaska, so if you're concerned that you can't play in front of, or aren't entertaining your friends, then practice something impressive, but musical, never forget; "An amateur practises until they get it right. A professional practices until they can't get it wrong."

And to impress your friends it doesn't need to be technically really challenging. It just has to sound good musically. Some people are impressed if you just play some pretty simple rock songs.

@ TS: If the video shows how you play every day, it seems like your playing is pretty pointless. You play a random riff from a random song, then you change to another riff, then you start shredding and then you play again some riff. And no breaks in between them. And I think that's why it sounds pretty boring. It doesn't have any goal. It's just a bunch of shredding licks and rock riffs put together.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by CelestialGuitar

thanks for the critics guys
lol Im bored mostly because my rut...

I can play a lot of Dream Theater and techichal stuff
but seriosly there are a lot of guys who can play it perfectly and you already know there is only a one John Petrucci.
I dont want to be another co.
Seriously they are lots of copies. lol
and also
When I first began guitar
in 3 months I learned most of Metallica's solos whole songs riffs with tabs,,,[which is easy for everybody] but I realised When I get in to more cover stuff I lose my own style..And get stucked in it..
Ofcourse everybody sounds like their inspration.My favorite inspration is John Petrucci.I can play his stuff but I dont really want to be a second John Petrucci..I want my own stlye.

Of course you cant develop your style It just happens itself.All i do was penatonic scale and hetfield downpicking riffs and I wasnt able to use alternate picking.Until 3 months ago

Im not playing guitar to imprese my friends.everybody wants to show what they can do..I want to do something new.FRESH..
You guys probably say Who you think you are or something you dummmmbbbf888ck ?!![probably "Hail" gonna say that]

We are musicans We have to make something fresh...Of course Its cool to make covers.

I dont love regular scales because everybody uses that.I always use my ears.I make my own scales.

I dont really use metronome I doesnt mean I cant play on a beat..I prefer using my foot than a metronome...

and guys really thanks for opening my eyes little bit...In a while Im gonna try some of advices
melodic style of myself and maybe some dream threater solo cover i dunno

As i said before I record myself to see my progress and just for fun Its not really my shreding I play shi09t.. thats it..
Last edited by gtgates at Mar 1, 2013,
Quote by gtgates
I dont love regular scales because everybody uses that.I always use my ears.I make my own scales.

You use regular scales, you just don't realise it because you don't know any scales. I'm willing to bet that your scales you invent are basically just minor scales, maybe at some points slipping into Harmonic minor, if notes sound good together, chances are someone's already named it and found a purpose for it, and you're only shooting yourself in the foot by refusing to play scales. Of course, everybody uses it, everybody uses it for a reason, and I'm sorry to be the one to tell you, but in a majority of music, almost everything's been done. If you find a completely new style of guitar playing, chances are, you've either done the impossible, or you just haven't heard a guitarist who uses that style. My style of playing is, I'd say, what happens if you stuck Jani Liimatainen, Luca Turilli, Emppu Vuorinen and Michael Romeo into a cloning machine and recorded the outcome, and who's to say that's not original? If you add two numbers together, you get a new number, three is made by one or two, however, it is neither one, nor two. I'd recommend actually taking influence from musicians you like, because then, you yourself will be a musician you like listening to.
Quote by CelestialGuitar
You use regular scales, you just don't realise it because you don't know any scales. I'm willing to bet that your scales you invent are basically just minor scales, maybe at some points slipping into Harmonic minor, if notes sound good together, chances are someone's already named it and found a purpose for it, and you're only shooting yourself in the foot by refusing to play scales. Of course, everybody uses it, everybody uses it for a reason, and I'm sorry to be the one to tell you, but in a majority of music, almost everything's been done. If you find a completely new style of guitar playing, chances are, you've either done the impossible, or you just haven't heard a guitarist who uses that style. My style of playing is, I'd say, what happens if you stuck Jani Liimatainen, Luca Turilli, Emppu Vuorinen and Michael Romeo into a cloning machine and recorded the outcome, and who's to say that's not original? If you add two numbers together, you get a new number, three is made by one or two, however, it is neither one, nor two. I'd recommend actually taking influence from musicians you like, because then, you yourself will be a musician you like listening to.

wow that was a good advice thanks I know major and minor lots of stuff.

but i dont think learning scales will make me a better guitarist.I love using my ear
.I love finding right notes or composing on my own backing tracks or other people's
mostly I love to compose chromatic licks.

and also thats not my regular playing
Im just playing shit in my videos ...
I just played anything that comes in to my mind in that videos.

and dude can you watch my other videos and criticise?

I love every style music..I transcribe anything that sounds cool to me ..
I play Malmsteen,Classical Music,Blues,Rock,Metal,Funk...etc
Im more like a "Petrucci" guy.. I love progressive style..
Last edited by gtgates at Mar 1, 2013,
Quote by gtgates
thanks for the critics guys
lol Im bored mostly because my rut...

I can play a lot of Dream Theater and techichal stuff
but seriosly there are a lot of guys who can play it perfectly and you already know there is only a one John Petrucci.
I dont want to be another co.
Seriously they are lots of copies. lol
and also
When I first began guitar
in 3 months I learned most of Metallica's solos whole songs riffs with tabs,,,[which is easy for everybody] but I realised When I get in to more cover stuff I lose my own style..And get stucked in it..
Ofcourse everybody sounds like their inspration.My favorite inspration is John Petrucci.I can play his stuff but I dont really want to be a second John Petrucci..I want my own stlye.

Of course you cant develop your style It just happens itself.All i do was penatonic scale and hetfield downpicking riffs and I wasnt able to use alternate picking.Until 3 months ago

Im not playing guitar to imprese my friends.everybody wants to show what they can do..I want to do something new.FRESH..
You guys probably say Who you think you are or something you dummmmbbbf888ck ?!![probably "Hail" gonna say that]

We are musicans We have to make something fresh...Of course Its cool to make covers.

I dont really use metronome I doesnt mean I cant play on a beat..I prefer using my foot than a metronome...

and guys really thanks for opening my eyes little bit...In a while Im gonna try some of advices
melodic style of myself and maybe some dream threater solo cover i dunno

As i said before I record myself to see my progress and just for fun Its not really my shreding I play shi09t.. thats it..

You don't become another Petrucci if you play his songs note by note. You need to first learn how others do it to do it yourself. Because you are the sum of your influences. Nobody invented something new from out of nowhere. They copied other players, they had lots of different influences. My point is, don't worry about covering songs. It doesn't mean you become that kind of Youtube noob that tries to be something else. It's good to learn different guitarists' styles. You might find something useful to use in your songs/solos.

I think it's better to play whole songs than just some riffs and licks from the solo. Because then you also learn the song structure and how the song works. This helps you if you want to write own songs or solos. If you only learn a bunch of licks or riffs, your songs sound like bunch of riffs and your solos sound like bunch of licks thrown together. You learn the transitions between riffs and licks.

And really, don't think about other guitarists as your "opponents". Let them do their thing and you do your thing. There's always somebody that has better technique than you so don't worry about that. So if majority of people learn to play Dream Theater songs perfectly, it doesn't mean that you shouldn't learn them perfectly. It doesn't really make you stand out in a positive way.

I would also join a band. It's much more fun to play in a band than just play in your bedroom. It doesn't need to be a serious band, it can be just jamming with your friends.

And about the scales thing. There are only 12 notes, you can't really be that original just because of your note choice. Playing a solo is much more than playing many notes. You can make good sounding solos with only four or five notes. Just add some bends and vibratos in the right places and have some variety in rhythms and it will sound very good. Actually if you can make simple sound good, it will appeal to more people than complex that sounds good. Simple is easier to listen to and it doesn't demand anything from the listener. They don't need to focus that much in the song, they can just enjoy the good simple sounds.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Mar 1, 2013,
thanks dude and thanks guys for all the advices..
I have another question for you guys...
I cant get the sound I wanted.
I cant get my emotions to my "solos or riffs licks"..

Most things I wrote is not the "riffs licks or solos" I wanted..and those unwanted "riff licks and solos" gives me nausea.
I can write stuff that other people can like but I cant really write anything I want to...
How can I get the sound I want to? I know its a stupid question
Quote by gtgates
How can I get the sound I want to? I know its a stupid question
I'm assuming you mean in terms of note choice, not tone, correct?

If so, you only get that from learning music by ear. Theory helps, because you are able to categorize and define certain sounds that you hear, but it's nothing without internalizing it aurally.

The more of this you do, the more seamless the transition will be between the musical thoughts in your head and the actual notes you are able to come up with on the guitar.

Hal Galper once said something along the lines of "if you can't hear it, you can't play it," meaning that you can't expect to play an idea that you haven't internalized first.

If you take that entirely literally, then it would be impossible to innovate anything. However, the way innovation works is by combining elements of many different styles in a way no one has done before. No one just pulls innovative ideas out their ass. It has to come from somewhere.
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at Mar 3, 2013,