however the capo is only covering the top 5 strings (leaving the low E open). This is a common trait of alternate tuning and I've never seen it in standard tuning. No idea what the tuning is though

edit: spelling.
Last edited by wikaman1 at Feb 1, 2013,
Obviously the low E string is just for the droning sound. If anything the tuning is open. Like an open G, D, or E. That's where I'd start.
I think he's in D standard (1 step down). Because he's on 11-13 a lot and you get those notes on 9-11 in standard. E string is not capoed obviously
At that point you could use the capo at the 5th fret with drop d tuning and achieve the same thing. It's such a strange thing to do to drop to D standard and then use a capo.
^This I agree with that it doesn't make much sense so decided to figure it out

I went and looked for a spot where you can see fretting and hear a clear chord at the same time. 3:43 he bars 10 either 2 or 3 strings otherwise open

So the chord goes like 07771010 and with transcribing the chord and tuning to my ears..
His E pitch is between D and Eb but nearer Eb (probably random, tight capos screwing up stuff etc)

So it's Open G/Ab (G#) which ever you want, try tuning DGDGBD and a little up to get exact. You were right Nellie
Quote by fanapathy
^This I agree with that it doesn't make much sense so decided to figure it out.

So it's Open G/Ab (G#) which ever you want, try tuning DGDGBD and a little up to get exact. You were right Nellie

Did anyone ever find the right tuning?
Farida D32E
Walden D522 12 String

Levellers <3
Quote by AdamDCMA
Did anyone ever find the right tuning?

We've expressed a couple possibilities but no one has actually figured it out for certain.
I've tried it in Eb, and it sound similar. But not quite sure.
Farida D32E
Walden D522 12 String

Levellers <3
Quote by fanapathy
It's open G (with a quarter step up)

Give it a shot and you tell me what you think. Fanapathy seems confident. Simply tune your guitar slightly sharp and then to open G.