lolwut

yeah dude, look up the Steam Box
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
There's definately diminishing returns in how much better graphics can engage players in terms of creating 3D enivronments. The added processing power and graphical capabilities of the PS1/N64 gen systems immersed players into a new virtual experience and added a whole new dimension to gaming; a dimension which allowed game mechanics to be applied in uncharted territory - it very much created new space in which games could innovate, grow, and be something new. Although 3D environments can still be improved upon - especially in becoming more dynamic as per the following

- the real advantage of increasing processing and graphical capabilities in video games will be to open up a social dimension in games by breaching new levels of lifelike character modelling. Human beings are social creatures - a big part of our brains are dedicated to seeking and reacting to social cues just as we are wired to make sense of a 3D environment - and it stands to reason that games incorporating social elements will be able to engage players on a greater level. When characters are made to be lifelike, their existence takes on a much greater significance. All of a sudden, they are more then just simple dolls. Their outcomes and their impact on the story matter. Games like Mass Effect, Heavy Rain, and L.A. Noire have already built on this trend. Heavy Rain boasted a 70% completion rate, a number far above the 20% average and in the same league as AAA titles like Halo 3 and COD 4. This is why graphics are still important; they will enable new genres to come into prominence. Rather than simply refining video games as they are, we could see a revolution within the video game industry on par with the prominence of 3D games. Don't get me wrong, I think the progress made by games like Heavy Rain is really primitive in this area are much on par with the advancements of fixed 3D vs full 3D. However, I do believe it offers a glance of what is to come.

For your consideration
Quote by Holy Katana
I only finally got around to buying a PS3 on Black Friday.

This happened to me too. Although mine was a replacement.

Well looks like it's 2006 all over again. At this rate I feel like it would just be better to buy a really strong computer and just pay for a new graphics card every couple of years. Can't really see what they could possibly add that would make me want a new console, the current consoles are already given new add-ons through updates. And for people who say that the new console will have better graphics, I really couldn't care less about what the graphics look like.
Quote by WaterGod
Well looks like it's 2006 all over again. At this rate I feel like it would just be better to buy a really strong computer and just pay for a new graphics card every couple of years.

I don't buy consoles because it's the most powerful machine, I buy the console for the games I want to play. Until I can play Uncharted, God of War, Gran Turismo, Heavy Rain and the like on PC, I'll be buying a Playstation. It's the same for Xbox guys who want to play Gears of War, Forza, Halo, etc.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
I think that one main issue I have with the possible launch of the PS4 is that the developers haven't had one example that I can think of off the top of my head where they've pushed the limits of the PS3. Even the example of Crysis on the last page isn't an example of the PS3's limits.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I am really curious as to what the PS4 is supposed to have that the PS3 doesn't. Can't really think of anything technologically significant that's happened in the past 6 years. If it's just something stupid like "Hey look our controller has a touch-pad!" I'm going to face-palm.
Quote by JustRooster
I think that one main issue I have with the possible launch of the PS4 is that the developers haven't had one example that I can think of off the top of my head where they've pushed the limits of the PS3. Even the example of Crysis on the last page isn't an example of the PS3's limits.

Delusional much?

Quote by WaterGod
I am really curious as to what the PS4 is supposed to have that the PS3 doesn't. Can't really think of anything technologically significant that's happened in the past 6 years. If it's just something stupid like "Hey look our controller has a touch-pad!" I'm going to face-palm.

Consoles are just holding games back now. Just look at something like BF3 or FC3 on Ultra PC settings.
Quote by WaterGod
This happened to me too. Although mine was a replacement.

Well looks like it's 2006 all over again. At this rate I feel like it would just be better to buy a really strong computer and just pay for a new graphics card every couple of years. Can't really see what they could possibly add that would make me want a new console, the current consoles are already given new add-ons through updates. And for people who say that the new console will have better graphics, I really couldn't care less about what the graphics look like.

Honestly what do you expect? Its your guy's fault you waited 7 YEARS AFTER the consoles were released to buy one. They are ancient now. The hardware is so old, games running sub HD and choppy because devs have to keep sacrificing assets to get more graphics.

New consoles are needed badly. The consoles are turning 8 years old this christmas, this gen has gone on for far too long.
Quote by mayslash
Honestly what do you expect? Its your guy's fault you waited 7 YEARS AFTER the consoles were released to buy one. They are ancient now. The hardware is so old, games running sub HD and choppy because devs have to keep sacrificing assets to get more graphics.

New consoles are needed badly. The consoles are turning 8 years old this christmas, this gen has gone on for far too long.

I don't have the money to buy a console as soon as it comes out. If you do that's good for you. I wait for the fucking deals.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
no one fuckin cares
Quote by anvil is god
look at this fggt

I rarely play games anymore, and when I do I don't really enjoy them, I just play if there's NOTHING to do. I used to be a hardcore mw2 player and halo 3 player, honestly Halo 3 and MW2 were the best gaming experiences I've ever had, mostly due to the fat that gaming was relatively new back then and I was like 15.

I don't care about gfx. I rather play Carmageddon on the PC with it's shit tier graphics than play a shooter like crysis which I have no interest in. Story+Community+Atmosphere+Multiplayer>GFX.
Quote by ChadLikesGuitar
I rarely play games anymore, and when I do I don't really enjoy them, I just play if there's NOTHING to do. I used to be a hardcore mw2 player and halo 3 player, honestly Halo 3 and MW2 were the best gaming experiences I've ever had, mostly due to the fat that gaming was relatively new back then and I was like 15.

I don't care about gfx. I rather play Carmageddon on the PC with it's shit tier graphics than play a shooter like crysis which I have no interest in. Story+Community+Atmosphere+Multiplayer>GFX.

I hate to go off on a tangent, but it really grinds my gears when people bring up Crysis as an example of graphics over gameplay, just because it has amazing graphics. In terms of gameplay, it was one of the best shooters in a long time.
Quote by Vermillionpart2
I've played both and I have to say that the PS3 controller is much more awkward than the 360 one. I just can't play shooters on a PS3.

Thank you!

Finally someone else who doesn't like that controller for shooters. The analog sticks are just horrendous
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
I'm just hoping they don't keep using that tacky Spiderman font.
I pride myself on my humility.
I always thought Playstation was boring
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: Caravan Palace, Vulfpeck

Please excuse my proper spelling and grammar, English is one of my first languages.
The PS3 controller is SO MUCH FASTER on fps's than the 360 controller will ever be.

I hate playing shooters on the 360. I wish I could use my PS3 controllers on my 360.

Or for everything..
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by stratman_13
The PS3 controller is SO MUCH FASTER on fps's than the 360 controller will ever be.

I hate playing shooters on the 360. I wish I could use my PS3 controllers on my 360.

Or for everything..

whaaaa

I have to play stuff like CoD on a 10/10 sensitivity on PS3 whereas it would be like a 6/10 on 360. Everything seems so sluggish and jittery
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
I happen to own both a 360 and PS3 due to idiots on Craigslist who don't know how to swap disc drives and sell them ridiculously cheap. Got PC parts for xmas and built it, so here are my thoughts:
360<PS3<PC

360: Only perk over PS3 is party chat, which is ridiculously useful if you have friends.
PS3: Blu-ray, free multi, MOTHER****ING RATCHET AND CLANK
PC/Steam: free multi, room to upgrade, countless library of games, every feature the consoles have and more. PC's aren't entirely pricey. As long as you build it yourself (which is like building with LEGOs, as long as you're careful) you can get a nice budget build at ~$800. That'll last you years upon years.

Concerning the new consoles:

Xbox- I anticipate it being better than PS4
PS4-a valiant effort but no big selling point
Steambox- gay
Ouya- relevant at first, slowly dying down

And consoles really shouldn't be geared towards hardcore gamers (the definition of which is a different argument), because software development will undoubtedly superceed itself in a year.
The pots in the PS3 controllers that the sticks ride on are different than the 360 ones.

More control, but they are a bit less "sensitive" I guess you would say.

Quote by Skullivan
I happen to own both a 360 and PS3 due to idiots on Craigslist who don't know how to swap disc drives and sell them ridiculously cheap. Got PC parts for xmas and built it, so here are my thoughts:
360<PS3<PC

360: Only perk over PS3 is party chat, which is ridiculously useful if you have friends.
PS3: Blu-ray, free multi, MOTHER****ING RATCHET AND CLANK
PC/Steam: free multi, room to upgrade, countless library of games, every feature the consoles have and more. PC's aren't entirely pricey. As long as you build it yourself (which is like building with LEGOs, as long as you're careful) you can get a nice budget build at ~$800. That'll last you years upon years.

Concerning the new consoles:

Xbox- I anticipate it being better than PS4
PS4-a valiant effort but no big selling point
Steambox- gay
Ouya- relevant at first, slowly dying down

And consoles really shouldn't be geared towards hardcore gamers (the definition of which is a different argument), because software development will undoubtedly superceed itself in a year.

And I really have to agree with the majority of this.

I also own a 360, PS3, and a PC.

--

--
Last edited by stratman_13 at Feb 4, 2013,
Quote by CrazyAce#7
I believe it's too early. PS3 hasn't been able to be pushed forward to it's full potential, honestly. I fear they completely change it and do to the PS3 to how the PS2 is. (Where backwards comparability isn't available or is quite a hassle.) Also, I believe the PS3 is overall the best console yet my favorite is the N64 for nostalgia reasons. :P

>hasn't been pushed to its full potential
>still has games that look like shit

gg
There's a special sex move I do called the Charizard.
It's where you light the girls pubes, then put it out with your cum and run around the room flapping your arms screaming, "You don't have enough badges to train me!"
Quote by King Twili
>hasn't been pushed to its full potential
>still has games that look like shit

gg

> has clearly never played any game that's actually optimized for PS3

Uncharted and it's engine puts just about every other single game to shame.
--

--
Wasnt it the same sing song this generation?

"Oh, ps3 will be stronger than everything"

Then the systems come out and developers cant even put out games because the ps3 code is too hard and expensive to put out games?

Just make a PC that's like a console and be done with it. If next generation still has needless competition for the same hardware, then I feel like it's going to be the same old crap, except better graphics and more players on screen.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Everyone knows graphics are the only thing that matters in games.

Duh. .

Everyone should just build PCs.

Then everyone can just shut up with the console bitching. .
--

--
Quote by stratman_13
Everyone knows graphics are the only thing that matters in games.

Duh. .

Everyone should just build PCs.

Then everyone can just shut up with the console bitching. .

If they move all my shitty RPG series to PC, then I'd be sold
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
If everyone stopped buying new consoles and just got gaming PCs then I would just bitch about what retro consoles had the better graphics.
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
If they move all my shitty RPG series to PC, then I'd be sold

The real goal must be to convince all the Japanese to play PC and ditch Sony/Nintendo. Once there's a big PC market in Japan, the Japanese devs will start releasing for PC and Horsedick can be happy.
Eh only reason I'm interested in this is because my PS3 recently died and I'd rather replace it with a backwards compatible PS4 than another PS3. Oh, and I guess because I don't have a BR player anymore...

I only care for graphical improvements to the extent that they aid the development of multiplats. I have an expensive computer, I don't need another one in the form of a console.
Quote by Nelsean
Wasnt it the same sing song this generation?

"Oh, ps3 will be stronger than everything"

Then the systems come out and developers cant even put out games because the ps3 code is too hard and expensive to put out games?

What? This generation was all "Xbox is all that matters, because that's where all the competitive gaming happens hurr derr..no body wants to play FPS on PS3".

No one bought a PS3 because they wanted to be the best at BF or COD.

As for your developers complaining comment.
http://www.altdevblogaday.com/2011/03/05/the-ps3-is-too-hard/

Before you cry fan boy, I own both Xbox 360 and PS3.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Although I'm a big PS3 gamer, I don't know for sure if I'll get the PS4. That's nothing to do with the console though, I just have less time for gaming and a huge backlog that'll last me for the rest of my gaming days.

That said, I'm excited to see what the PS4 has in store. Naturally, it will have better performance but that's obvious and boring. I want to see what other features are included and how they're going to change their digital distribution. As it stands, the PSN has some ridiculous pricing (£50 for a digital copy of a new game? Fuck no.) and that's not even mentioning the actual layout of the store. However, PS+ is a bloody marvelous thing and if Sony can include more stuff like that to reward loyal fans then that's great.

Increased social and community features would also be good. Between the 360, PS3 and PC, the PS3 easily has the weakest community. It'd be hard to beat PC in this aspect but inclusion of stuff like party chat would be a smart move I think and could put them ahead of 360 considering you don't have to pay to play online on Sony (and hopefully it will stay that way). Saying that, I'm not much of an online gamer so I'm hardly fussed.

Last and most importantly, the games. A console without good games is worth fuck all. I'm interested to see what franchises will cross over to this generation and what ones will get left behind or given to other developer's to be mishandled like hell. I could see this happening to Uncharted since it happened to both Crash and Jak and Naughty Dog seem to be moving on to The Last of Us without any mention of future Uncharted games but we'll see.

I can only hope for some new IP being announced.
Quote by stratman_13
> has clearly never played any game that's actually optimized for PS3

Uncharted and it's engine puts just about every other single game to shame.

I own a PS3. I've played uncharted. I was not impressed.
There's a special sex move I do called the Charizard.
It's where you light the girls pubes, then put it out with your cum and run around the room flapping your arms screaming, "You don't have enough badges to train me!"
Quote by Nelsean
Just make a PC that's like a console and be done with it. If next generation still has needless competition for the same hardware, then I feel like it's going to be the same old crap, except better graphics and more players on screen.

The problem with just making a super good console that's on par with PC's is that not only will it be super expensive when it first comes out, but seeing as both Sony and Microsoft want to run 10 year cycles on their consoles, it'll end up being made obsolete by your average gaming PC before it's life span ends anyway. Unless they released new consoles on 6 month cycles and charged 5 times as much for each iteration, there's no way that consoles will ever be able to constantly stand up to PC performance.

And I don't have a problem with that. I'd rather buy one new console every 10 years and enjoy all the modern games over that time, than buy a PC and have to upgrade it every time I want to play a new game.
Quote by devourke
The problem with just making a super good console that's on par with PC's is that not only will it be super expensive when it first comes out, but seeing as both Sony and Microsoft want to run 10 year cycles on their consoles, it'll end up being made obsolete by your average gaming PC before it's life span ends anyway.

Isn't this the case with consoles and PCs anyhow? Only they'd have better hardware.