Page 5 of 9
Quote by soundgarden1986
If you value such things, why do you like MW2 and Halo 3 so much

Because Halo 3 had the best multiplayer EVER. And MW2 had a really fun community (with all the commentators and montages and stuff).
Quote by devourke
The problem with just making a super good console that's on par with PC's is that not only will it be super expensive when it first comes out, but seeing as both Sony and Microsoft want to run 10 year cycles on their consoles, it'll end up being made obsolete by your average gaming PC before it's life span ends anyway. Unless they released new consoles on 6 month cycles and charged 5 times as much for each iteration, there's no way that consoles will ever be able to constantly stand up to PC performance.

And I don't have a problem with that. I'd rather buy one new console every 10 years and enjoy all the modern games over that time, than buy a PC and have to upgrade it every time I want to play a new game.

^Get yourself soem Quake III Arena, son.

I think the point he was making that make something that an idiot can use, like a console, charge through the nose for the games and services, but still make it upgradable.

ie - a PC with the majority of the benefits of a PC taken away.

There's a special sex move I do called the Charizard.
It's where you light the girls pubes, then put it out with your cum and run around the room flapping your arms screaming, "You don't have enough badges to train me!"
Last edited by King Twili at Feb 4, 2013,
Quote by TooktheAtrain
Isn't this the case with consoles and PCs anyhow? Only they'd have better hardware.

Yeah, that's why I was saying it was pointless to try and make a super good console. The exact same thing will happen, it'll just take two or three extra years and a lot more extra money. IIRC PS4 are going for the try and make the most beast console they can while still being affordable and Xbox is going to have two different types of console for sale (One will be like a media centre; Netflix, Hulu, Youtube, Arcade games, and the other will be for actual gaming) and they want to sell the media center one for as low a price as possible, and have the gaming console as a more affordable but less powerful console than the ps4.

Quote by King Twili
^Get yourself soem Quake III Arena, son.

I don't really like gaming on the PC. It's hard for me to get into it. I'm still playing the original Xbox lol. I've played like 40 hours of Halo 2 online over the past 3 days.
Last edited by devourke at Feb 4, 2013,
Ahh okay. What about modular upgrades and raising the console 'tax' on games? (the percentage that goes back to sony and MS)
Quote by _KurtCobain_77
What? This generation was all "Xbox is all that matters, because that's where all the competitive gaming happens hurr derr..no body wants to play FPS on PS3".

No one bought a PS3 because they wanted to be the best at BF or COD.

As for your developers complaining comment.
http://www.altdevblogaday.com/2011/03/05/the-ps3-is-too-hard/

Before you cry fan boy, I own both Xbox 360 and PS3.

I still don't get why the Xbox 360 is better than PS3. I own both consoles and the only difference I can tell is that I have to dish out an extra 5$ a month just to play COD3 on Xbox live.
BLACK was optimized on the PS2 because it pushed the ps2 to the limits. I don't see ANY game going that today. Most games I see today are terrible looking, have no meshing renderer and still look like every other PS2 game or Xbox game, and still to this day, grass is 2D. If game developers don't start making games that push the limits people are going to buy Battlefield 75 and Call of Duty Black Ops 400th Anniversary Zombies Only Edition and consider themselves hardcore gamers forever.

(Basically what Im saying is that BLACK is the greatest game ever, and not because it was on a Ps2)
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
Quote by TooktheAtrain
Ahh okay. What about modular upgrades and raising the console 'tax' on games? (the percentage that goes back to sony and MS)

One of the things that helps the longevity (and therefore appeal) of the console is that it's a one time purchase to buy the machine. If you needed to buy upgrades for your console to play newer games, not only would it lose it's appeal, but it'd probably lose the market for the next gen console after the PS4 and Xbox 720 since people would just be like "I've already got a current gen console why do I need to shell out for this new one?" As well as probably having to pay people to upgrade your PS4/Xbox so that your warranty wouldn't get voided by you opening up the case and getting into the hardware, it seems like it'd make everything a lot more expensive for everyone involved.

Quote by King Twili

XBConnect dawg. You can still play any OG xbox game over the internet if it was capable of system link multiplayer.
Quote by TooktheAtrain
oh, fair enough. Well, I just hope they release some well spec'd consoles soon.

I think the 720 should be out for Christmas 2013. Not sure about the PS4, haven't been paying attention to any of the hype around that. Microsoft should make an announcement on a new console at E3 2013

Microsoft's reaction when Sony unveils PS4.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Quote by IMABBALLPLAYER

Microsoft's reaction when Sony unveils PS4.

Why would that be their reaction?
Quote by bastards
BLACK was optimized on the PS2 because it pushed the ps2 to the limits. I don't see ANY game going that today. Most games I see today are terrible looking, have no meshing renderer and still look like every other PS2 game or Xbox game, and still to this day, grass is 2D. If game developers don't start making games that push the limits people are going to buy Battlefield 75 and Call of Duty Black Ops 400th Anniversary Zombies Only Edition and consider themselves hardcore gamers forever.

(Basically what Im saying is that BLACK is the greatest game ever, and not because it was on a Ps2)
BLACK was such a great ****ing game!

Anyways, I don't understand this concept that people have that you need to constantly upgrade a PC in order for it to be worth it.

A lot of people are STILL running GTX480s and 6990s and they're doing just fine.

Its cheaper in the long run to have a PC. Look at consoles nowadays. No backwards compatibility. Every new gen of console means you either hang on to the massive pile of games and hardware if you ever want to play your old favorites as well as buy a new console and an entire new set of games and hardware to go with it.

On a PC, you simply swap out the GPU when you feel its time for an upgrade. And if your games start to running slow a few years down the line, you may have to pop in a new CPU.

Its almost the exact same expense as a new console. And with DOSboxes, emulators, and compatibility modes, you don't have to hang on to that giant pile of crap in order to play old favorites (within reason of course).

And I can do so much more with my PC than i can with a console.

I have feet in both camps though. I love my consoles. I love my PC. But there's just a ludicrous amount of misconception behind PC building and gaming.

You can build a solid gaming rig for 400-500 bucks easy

EDIT: And if you have a problem adjusting to the PC side of it, just hook up a controller and be done with it.

Although I have no idea why you would choose a stock over a mouse.

The only real reason I own consoles is for exclusives.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Last edited by stratman_13 at Feb 4, 2013,
Quote by devourke
Why would that be their reaction?

Because Sony will unveil it, and Microsoft will be like, "Oh, that's sooo cute Sony! Good effort!"
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Quote by bastards

Have you played a PS2 lately?

You are seriously going to say that Uncharted 3 doesn't look better than any PS2 or original Xbox game?
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by WCPhils
Have you played a PS2 lately?

You are seriously going to say that Uncharted 3 doesn't look better than any PS2 or original Xbox game?

No, but I will tell you that every household game I've seen is subpar to BLACK on the PS2. Given there are some extraordinary feats on the new gen. Water looks prettier. That's about it.
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
I liked it. It really laid the final brick in the whole "USA vs Russians and terrorists and evil bad men because America rocks and we're pretty" thing. I think it was a stroke of artistic genius, like a Tom Clancy novel or something. All the Cods and Battlefields and Medal of Honors are all the same thing.

Honestly haven't played Uncharted 3, or any of them. I was making a comparision when it came to the whole being optimized thing there.
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
Quote by devourke
I think the 720 should be out for Christmas 2013. Not sure about the PS4, haven't been paying attention to any of the hype around that. Microsoft should make an announcement on a new console at E3 2013

720 or whatever it's going to be named has been confirmed a christmas 2013 release, PS4 is rumored to come out spring 2014.

Although I bashed it earlier, everyone should at least check out the OUYA. A good budget console if you don't need top-spec gaming (what the new wave is going for.)
http://www.ouya.tv/devs/
Quote by bastards
I liked it. It really laid the final brick in the whole "USA vs Russians and terrorists and evil bad men because America rocks and we're pretty" thing. I think it was a stroke of artistic genius, like a Tom Clancy novel or something. All the Cods and Battlefields and Medal of Honors are all the same thing.

Honestly haven't played Uncharted 3, or any of them. I was making a comparision when it came to the whole being optimized thing there.

Oh yea, I thought the game was awesome. I just don't think it looks very good anymore compared to most PS360 games.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by bastards

LMAO.

Here's a tom clancy plot I just generated

Mercenaries devise a scheme to smuggle an impressive amount of cocaine for ransom under the watchful eye of corrupt US diplomats. The plot twists when the Mercenaries threaten to unravel the keystone of civilization with wild orgies, unless a rookie CIA agent eager to prove his worth can overcome his brooding self-doubt and stop the Mercenaries once and for all. The movie ends with a mildly comical and/or ironic scene in which the Mercenaries blow up or go to prison. Another satisfying tale of political intrigue and personal redemption closes, and we all walk away from this movie a little wiser.

Tom Clancy writes generic drivel
Quote by TooktheAtrain
LMAO.

Here's a tom clancy plot I just generated

Tom Clancy writes generic drivel

I was thinking more dabbling in the lines of the Expendables and Splinter Cell. That just reminded me of Call of Duty for some reason. I guess Clancy isn't good imagery.
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
Quote by IMABBALLPLAYER
Because Sony will unveil it, and Microsoft will be like, "Oh, that's sooo cute Sony! Good effort!"

The PS4 is going to be more powerful than the next gen Xbox, you know that right?

Quote by stratman_13
BLACK was such a great ****ing game!

Anyways, I don't understand this concept that people have that you need to constantly upgrade a PC in order for it to be worth it.

A lot of people are STILL running GTX480s and 6990s and they're doing just fine.

Its cheaper in the long run to have a PC.

Both of those cards came out less than three years ago. When the GTX480 was released in 2010 it was priced at $500. When the 6990 was released it was $700. The 4GB version of 360 released around the same time in 2010 was priced at $200. When the 360 first came out it was $250. $250 for a console that plays every single modern game for the next ten years. I don't see how you can think that it's cheaper to game on the PC than console in the long run, or the short run. At all.

Quote by zomgguitarz1234
Who the **** gives a shit about consoles. Isn't it the games you should be worried about?

IIRC PS4 and 720 are going to be using much more similar framework for their consoles, so their should be a lot more multi-platform releases for games
Quote by devourke
The PS4 is going to be more powerful than the next gen Xbox, you know that right?

The PS3 is more powerful than the 360 as well. You know that right?

Xbox has more killer apps, a better dashboard, entertainment options, etc. The Xbox is turning into the only thing you need for entertainment.

Last edited by IMABBALLPLAYER at Feb 4, 2013,
Quote by devourke
IIRC PS4 and 720 are going to be using much more similar framework for their consoles, so their should be a lot more multi-platform releases for games

No bro, if you enjoy one you absolutely CANNOT the other. It's a law.
I don't understand console wars

Just buy them all
___

Quote by The_Blode
Why is this thread still going?
What has this thread turned into?
Why does everyone think it will be the PS4? I mean, it might be, but it also might be just some new feature with the PSN.
Quote by zomgguitarz1234
No bro, if you enjoy one you absolutely CANNOT the other. It's a law.

Why not? I enjoy them all.
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Quote by WCPhils
I don't understand console wars

Just buy them all

NO!

Quote by Joshua Garcia
Why not? I enjoy them all.

Because the game storm troopers will break down your door and lock you up for your dangerous thinking methods
Last edited by zomgguitarz1234 at Feb 4, 2013,
Quote by IMABBALLPLAYER
The PS3 is more powerful than the 360 as well. You know that right?

Xbox has more killer apps, a better dashboard, entertainment options, etc. The Xbox is turning into the only thing you need for entertainment.

Right and Microsoft and Sony are going in two different directions with their consoles. You could have that same picture of Sony laughing at microsoft for having a weaker console and trying to target the casual gamer audience.
Quote by devourke

Both of those cards came out less than three years ago. When the GTX480 was released in 2010 it was priced at $500. When the 6990 was released it was $700. The 4GB version of 360 released around the same time in 2010 was priced at $200. When the 360 first came out it was $250. $250 for a console that plays every single modern game for the next ten years. I don't see how you can think that it's cheaper to game on the PC than console in the long run, or the short run. At all.

yeah I meant to type 480. I'm typing on a phone.

The point is that even a 280/4000 will run modern games on DX9. So the whole "You have to upgrade PCs all the time!" argument is bullshit.

I want to type more but I'm at work and I have to cut/paste responses on my phone so its kinda a pita.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Microsoft products use an assymetric controller for whatever reason.

I'll stick with sony.

Either way both the ps3 and 360 are ancient technology wise.

Also the best FPS of this generation was MAG, and it was a ps3 exclusive. Sony makes the best MMOFPS games, period. Have fun in halo shooting 7 other wankers in rainbow jumpsuits, while I fight on a team of 500 on a single map.
Last edited by stratkat at Feb 4, 2013,
My Radeon HD 6850 cost me $160 about a year ago, and still plays every game out (save a few system melters) on at least high settings. My whole budget for the build was about $700. Sometime this year I'll need a new video card probably, but only a $200 one, and that will last me another 2-3 years.

PCs have a higher introductory cost, but once you get a good system, you can make less-expensive upgrades down the line. Not to mention how stupidly cheap games are on PC, it's economically wise to game on a PC versus a console. It's just the high upfront cost that keeps most people away.
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
Quote by stratman_13
yeah I meant to type 480. I'm typing on a phone.

The point is that even a 280/4000 will run modern games on DX9. So the whole "You have to upgrade PCs all the time!" argument is bullshit.

I want to type more but I'm at work and I have to cut/paste responses on my phone so its kinda a pita.

If you got the GTX 280 back when it was first released it would have cost $650. And that's still only a 5 year life span, half as long as the 360 while still costing three times as much.
Quote by stratkat
Also the best FPS of this generation was MAG, and it was a ps3 exclusive. Sony makes the best MMOFPS games, period. Have fun in halo shooting 7 other wankers in rainbow jumpsuits, while I fight on a team of 500 on a single map.

Quote by muffinduck01
My Radeon HD 6850 cost me $160 about a year ago, and still plays every game out (save a few system melters) on at least high settings. My whole budget for the build was about $700. Sometime this year I'll need a new video card probably, but only a $200 one, and that will last me another 2-3 years.

PCs have a higher introductory cost, but once you get a good system, you can make less-expensive upgrades down the line. Not to mention how stupidly cheap games are on PC, it's economically wise to game on a PC versus a console. It's just the high upfront cost that keeps most people away.

If we're going personal stories then I'll share my Xbox prices.

Bought my OG Xbox + 7 games back in '04 for $315. I've bought about 20 games for it (roughly about $15-$40 each), and got about 10 for free off friends who got rid of their original Xboxes. When I first got it, the disc reader ****ed up and even though it wasnt under warranty Microsoft fixed it for free and paid for the shipping. And then gave me a free 5 year warranty after I got it back. I bought a 360 +2 games off a friend in 2008 for $285. I sold it in July 2011 for about $200 because I was spending way too much time on it. My OG xbox is still running strong tho. I've been using it regularly for the past 8 years as my gaming/CD/DVD player and never had it mishap. So overall, I think in two consoles, 40+ games and 1 & a 1/2 years of Xbox Live I topped out at $800.

Btw, that's $800 in NZ where clothes and entertainment are ungodly expensive if you do it wrong. For a little perspective, my friend built a gaming PC a few weeks ago and it cost him about 2 grand.
Sounds like another console that I could waste money on when I already of a PC that's twice as powerful.
I don't have a PC for a few reasons.

1: They don't have a ton of exclusives I love (Mario, Zelda, Halo, Forza, GT, Uncharted, Gears of War, God of War, Suepr Smash Bros, Little Big Planet, and a ton more)

2: Absolutely none of my friends have one so it wouldn't really be any fun at all playing something that had multiplayer

3: They are really expensive. THis kind of goes with the other ones since I would still get consoles because of those reasons. I mean, I'm going to get a Wii U for pretty much Smash Bros alone
___

Quote by The_Blode
Quote by WCPhils
I don't have a PC for a few reasons.

1: They don't have a ton of exclusives I love (Mario, Zelda, Halo, Forza, GT, Uncharted, Gears of War, God of War, Suepr Smash Bros, Little Big Planet, and a ton more)

2: Absolutely none of my friends have one so it wouldn't really be any fun at all playing something that had multiplayer

3: They are really expensive. THis kind of goes with the other ones since I would still get consoles because of those reasons. I mean, I'm going to get a Wii U for pretty much Smash Bros alone

1.PC does have tons of exclusives though. Nearly every MMO, Planetside 2, plenty of indie games, etc. Plus modding communities add a lot of value to games for no cost.

2. Fair point.

3. I suppose, but I've only paid $60 for 2 new games since building my PC. I've gotten nearly every game I own for $20 or less because of Steam sales.

Also, the up front cost of owning a PC isn't as high as most people think, unless you want to run absolutely top end hardware.