Page 2 of 7
Well, there's a lot of stuff I don't like, but I can say I "get". I understand that people may like the various sorts of "club" music because they dance to it. Me, I don't dance.
I can understand why folks might like Hip Hop or Rap... Just doesn't work for me.

However... The really "outside" forms of progressive jazz... The kind of stuff where it sounds like you turned a bunch of 8-year-olds loose in a room full of instruments and told them to "make noise, kids!" I don't get that.

Also, some of the stranger modern "serious" music like John Cage. The "Minimalist" stuff that sounds just like a broken record.
(For you younger lads, the old LPs would sometimes get a defective groove and they'd just repeat the same line over and over.... That's what Cage sounds like.
I've never heard a whole dubstep song that I enjoy, I don't really like music that's techy for the sake of being techy, I'm not a big fan of radio rock. Idk, bands should just be Iron Chic.

Atonal music.
Atonal music is for fags who just listen to it to be different. It simply isn't possible to enjoy.[/QUOTE]

Quote by yoman297
I don't get Lulu, if that counts.

Whey eey ey ey ey ey ey ey ey eyhhhhhhhhh ehhhhhhhhh eoooooooooooo..............

..............'YOU KNOW YOU MAKE ME WANNA.......
Junius, sometimes.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en6VcTNFzeI

music like this makes me angry

i dont know why
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Jazz Fusion. It sucks because i really want to like it.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by Spaztikko
The Djent shit isn't even a genre.

Most of it's prog.

Most good Djent (which is like 3 or bands) is prog.

I don't get dubstep. I've tried. It makes no sense.
Quote by macashmack
Atonal music.
Atonal music is for fags who just listen to it to be different. It simply isn't possible to enjoy.

You're an idiot.

I will never understand generic rock like AC/DC or new "folk" like Mumford and Sons or The Avett Brothers.
Quote by So-Cal
Ah yes NMH, it just sounds so pretentious.

do you know what that word means?
A lot of vocal led music. A lot of prog.

I don't know, I guess because I have a small understanding of theory I just can't recognize what's great about notes played that fast. I like some prog, like Dream Theater and Devin Townsend (latter more for production, brilliant sounds) but I can get bored of it easily.

Other than that I either like artists that focus purely on lyrics and know it or focus purely on production and know it. I have no appreciation for theory because you can't appreciate what you don't understand.
lol you people saying you don't get dubstep, it's not music for listening. you never see someone with headphones listening to dubstep, that's because it's dancing music. that's right, it's music that annoying people dance to.
I Have An Avant Garde Fetish....
Quote by Gantz92
Im in no way an amateur. I masturbate in public all the time.
Quote by Nelsean
I can get an erection just by looking at a plastic cup, or a river.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
Don't worry, rape will always find a back way in
Quote by blake1221
do you know what that word means?

This so much. Half the time the word "pretentious" is thrown around in relation to music people are referring to the fans of the music.

I don't know how a sound can think, it is not sentient or conscious.

That being said, I don't like Neutral Milk Hotel either.
I can get how some music is pretentious, but generally, you'll need to know more about the artist to make that call. With NMH, it's a ****ing nerdy ass dude from the '90s with a terrible taste in sweaters and a hard on for Anne Frank that wrote songs on an acoustic guitar and added bombastic instruments for a fuller effect. None of that says pretentious to me.
Quote by adamgur96
lol you people saying you don't get dubstep, it's not music for listening. you never see someone with headphones listening to dubstep, that's because it's dancing music. that's right, it's music that annoying people dance to.

And that's why I don't get it.
Quote by desperatechris
Muse

Not everything they do is absolutely golden but really?!?

I'd like to add Skrillex. I usually like nodding my head to things but his shit I just can't, it's all over the place.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
I've never understood what people mean by this, it's just a silly way of saying you don't like something...

Anyway, atonal music. Well, atonal music where you really know it's atonal. I know there's a method to the madness, but to us common folk it sounds like someone hitting random notes. I hope I can appreciate it one day.
Yeah, the stuff where you're not sure whether the musicians are playing or tuning up. I've had a few good experiences with spectral music, but on the whole I never really got a lasting appeal.
lo-fi hipster music that's out of tune and has a shaky, weak female singer.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by neidnarb11890
I don't get why the drums on so many modern hip-hop traxxx that I inadvertently hear when I poke my head out into public sound like shit. is that really supposed to be a hi-hat? ugh plz kill me.

It's the snare that gets to me. But when I'm drunk, I care a loooot less.
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
Oh yeah, Periphery is just awful though.

Any of the core genres.

edit: I do like the first couple Killswitch albums and the first three All That Remains albums, but shit i don't even know if you could call those metalcore anymore

edit2: AND WHATS WITH ALL THE PERIPHERY HATE
Sail upon the open skies
Last edited by angusfan16 at Feb 2, 2013,
Deathcore, Black, Gore n aggressive throat-singing stuff like that, i like my music listenable, or at least be capable of understand the vocals y'know...
"GOHGOROGROGOBALLSOODICKODEATH****RELIGIOONOREVERYONEELSE".

Oh and also i don't get most of the beatles songs :/
PACIFIC/OCEAN
PACIFIC OCE/AN
PACIFIC OCEAN/
PACIFIC_OCEAN
PACIFIC OCEA_N
_PACIFIC OCEAN
HERE YOU GO, A TERRIBLE EXPLANATION OF EVERY GENRE I 'GET'.

death metal- even louder noises than you'll find anywhere else, while remaining as metal as ever. oh yes, this is slayer put to the next notch. and maybe even bring in some pretty leads, but not if it gets in the way of the loud noises.

prog- almost as masturbatory as free jazz, but given a solid dose of 'look how deep we are' ie Tool

black metal- true kvlt.

grindcore- I used to not get it, but then I started listening to Pig Destroyer and Gaza. not bad.

atonal music- I don't get it I guess.

jazz in general- those feels.

djent- similar to dubstep in a way I'll explain later, its a show of prowess and the production style every djent band uses sounds really good.

pop music (and this even goes for bands like BOTDF)- chances are you listened to something pretty shitty at sometime. FORGIVE THE 14 YEAR OLDS FOR THEIR SINS

trap music- never listened to it.

free jazz- it's all about that artistic virtuoso, man. maybe not even instrumental virtuoso, but take a look at how musically adept we are as a band.

any band that sounds like AC/DC: I can't stand any of it, but every song by AC/DC just sounds like its supposed to be in a stadium. so why not make 50 other bands that sound just like it (that everyone will love) and make hella money?

the millions of subgenres- its almost like tribal Greece.... elitism is causing the subgenres to drift farther apart, causing more elitism.

electronic speedcore- I'm going to have to look this up

converge- ****ing righteous. I don't know how to explain it to those who don't understand.

club music- kinda like ac/dc and stadiums except for clubs.

dubstep- production prowess, a tribute to how important good production can be. do you think skrillex would be so popular if his songs didn't sound so huge?

hip/hop- a genre I really didn't listen to until recently, so I won't say anything yet.

reggae- all of the people that listen to it that I know are on the weed, so self-explanatory.

pink floyd- dem soundscapes, man. sustained through an entire album. freakin beautiful.

drone- dem electronic soundscapes, brah.

BTBAM, Sikth, Dillinger- atonal with explosions of tonal. makes a molotov cocktail out of prog music.

Radiohead- another band I didn't 'get' until I 'got'. Love that band.

The Beatles- accessible music across different genres while staying themselves while simultaneously pushing music forward. I don't see how it's hard to see why they're popular.

Lana Del Ray/ Ellie Goulding- I don't see how these two are related, but they're purty and got nice voices, so they're guilty pleasures of mine.

muse- pull a lot of cool sounds out each album, make some good rock at the center of it. no radiohead by any means, but not bad in its own right.

u2- you can criticize their lack of variation but it works for them. they found their own cool sound and the people loved it, so kudos to them.

lo-fi hipster music that's out of tune and has a shaky, weak female singer- I'm not sure what this is (but I'm pretty sure I like it, so w/e. I mean really, what are we talking about, Portishead? Tegan and Sara? Feist?) but just refer to pop, I'm getting tired of writing this shit.

unless he was talking about what blake posted. sounded awesome to me.

edit: FUCK, IT'S AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE.
Last edited by whywefight at Feb 2, 2013,
Either we've heard entirely different free jazz or I understand it even less than I thought I did. "Tight" is the last word I'd use for it.
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeuhl

I have heard a fair bit of it, there was one track that i really liked, but i can't remember what it was called, but a fair bit of it is just too crazy for me.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
Either we've heard entirely different free jazz

or I understand it even less than I thought I did.

"Tight" is the last word I'd use for it.

Entirely possible.

Entirely possible.

Entirely possible.

I don't like that I started off the list with one of the subgenres I've listened to the least, so I'm going to fix it.

Yeah the explanation I gave wasn't the best, but it still makes sense to me for some reason.

Edit: Edit: changed it slightly.
Last edited by whywefight at Feb 2, 2013,
Quote by Dynamight
Death, Black, Doom, Sludge, Viking, Grindcore and all the other weird crossover genres... hell I don't understand subsubgenres at all—why would you take one aspect of what others have done before you, and then repeat it ad infinitum? You should be striving for variety, not monotony.

I feel like you put something in maybe Cantonese through Google Translate and got something that doesn't mean what you thought it means. If that is what you meant to say, then what are you even talking about? Do you even know what a "subsubgenre" even is? And subsubgenre is not a word. "Microgenre" is the term you're looking for. I should also mention that all of those that you mentioned are subgenres and not microgenres. You also don't seem to know what a crossover genre is either.

Quote by Random3
but stuff like this to me just sounds like... I don't even know what:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AIJuRGYmWk

That's not metal.

Quote by macashmack
Atonal music.
Atonal music is for fags who just listen to it to be different. It simply isn't possible to enjoy.

That's adorable.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
The band Cake and bands like them. Just doesn't make sense to me
My God, it's full of stars!