Page 3 of 7
Indie along the lines of kaiser chiefs and stuff.
Thrash metal, as in metallica and such.

They just don't appeal to me at all, but I'm pretty open to attempts to change my mind.

Free jazz seems to be getting quite a beating in this thread, but I quite enjoy it actually. I like some atonal music as well, providing it has something else going for it besides melody. I'm not really a big fan of contemporary music/electroacoustic, but I'm exposed to a lot of it through work and my university and occasionally I hear something I like.
Last edited by captainsnazz at Feb 2, 2013,

seriously...how can anyone like Dylan's over Hendrix? Dylan's musicianship is so amateur and awful....

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi

seriously...how can anyone like Dylan's over Hendrix? Dylan's musicianship is so amateur and awful....

You are still going off about that. I do agree though for me Bob Dylan is about lyrics not about the music. Though I do have a few Dylan albums that I don't mind listening to. All in all timeless writier but a horrid musician.
I don't get people who try to justify their taste in music. It's okay to say that something doesn't appeal to you without trying to contrive reasons for it. You don't have to pretend it's some flaw in the music that means that no-one should ever enjoy it. "If I don't like it, no-one should".
Quote by Xiaoxi

I don't know where you're getting the idea that Dylan was ever recognized as a musician. His primary recognition was always his lyrical value. I don't think I've ever heard anyone referr to Dylan as a good musician (not to mention, every cover of Dylan is better than his original).

Same deal with Cobain, except with him some people (out of their mind) actually think that he's a good musician. He isn't.
Quote by Xiaoxi

Because Jimi's cover screams "Hey guys, look at how great of a guitarist I think I am! Who cares about the meaning of the lyrics, watch me bend the same two notes over and over and play the same sloppy pentatonic run that I played in the last tune!"

The original says "Hey, I've got something important to say, so listen up. I'm gonna add a couple of simple chords in the background so that it will be easier to remember what I'm saying, but not to the point where it's overbearing and completely gets in the way of the lyrics, which are really the important thing to take away from this song."
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I don't not get genres/bands. I either like it or I don't, I can understand it perfectly fine.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by Bikewer

(For you younger lads, the old LPs would sometimes get a defective groove and they'd just repeat the same line over and over.... That's what Cage sounds like.

Steve Reich's stuff is good.

However, I hate John Cage's music. I can understand that his approach to music is pretty groundbreaking, but the end results are usually anything but...
Breakfast, Breakfast, it's great for us
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, it can't be beat
Quote by theogonia777
Because Jimi's cover screams "Hey guys, look at how great of a guitarist I think I am! Who cares about the meaning of the lyrics, watch me bend the same two notes over and over and play the same sloppy pentatonic run that I played in the last tune!"

The original says "Hey, I've got something important to say, so listen up. I'm gonna add a couple of simple chords in the background so that it will be easier to remember what I'm saying, but not to the point where it's overbearing and completely gets in the way of the lyrics, which are really the important thing to take away from this song."

Which would be fine if Dylan didn't sound like Popeye would on cocaine...

Also, Jimi's version makes it a good song; Dylan's is like...meh.

Quote by captainsnazz
Thrash metal, as in metallica and such.

There's a lot more to Thrash than Metallica. Personally, since you said you're open to attempts to change your mind, I would check out one of the albums by Kreator. I personally really like "Hordes of Chaos", but I wouldn't say that album is their best work. Check with the Metal forum guys, if you want. Ask in the Kreator thread (pretty sure there is one).
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Feb 2, 2013,
Quote by theogonia777

Yeah, becoz Jimi saw Malmsteen and Buckethead shredding on youtube and he just copied them, I mean, hes so LAAAAAME dood!
Quote by ChemicalFire
You get my first ever lolstack

The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point

Aw yeah.
Quote by So-Cal
Ah yes NMH, it just sounds so pretentious.

music doesn't come much more earnest than neutral milk hotel.
Just tell me this about Converge. Am I supposed to be angry whilst listening? Because it kinda made sense when I was really pissed off but other than that I wasn't diggin it.
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Which would be fine if Dylan didn't sound like Popeye would on cocaine...

I mean, I don't really like Popeye, but you still shouldn't make fun of his addiction.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Xiaoxi

that's a pretty subpar bob dylan song. good job, you read rolling stone and are aware that jimi hendrix covered a dylan song--but it's not really representative of him as an artist at all, let alone at his peak. so yr bad opinions can be excused by yr incidental ignorance i guess.
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
Just tell me this about Converge. Am I supposed to be angry whilst listening? Because it kinda made sense when I was really pissed off but other than that I wasn't diggin it.

Not necessarily, but it helps. The best place for hardcore is the gym, and the best time is right after you lose your job.
Quote by due 07
that's a pretty subpar bob dylan song. good job, you read rolling stone and are aware that jimi hendrix covered a dylan song--but it's not really representative of him as an artist at all, let alone at his peak. so yr bad opinions can be excused by yr incidental ignorance i guess.

Must be hitting a growth spurt
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by theogonia777

So when it's about Dylan showing off his lyrical abilities, it's fine. But when it's Hendrix showing off what he's best at, that's not ok? Dylan's version is about the lyrics, Jimi's is about the musicianship. It's not hard to grasp. If you don't like it, cool, but playing it down because you don't like it due to the fact it focuses on another aspect of the song is stupid. There's nothing wrong with saying" I just don't like it, not to my tastes".
One of you has got to change avatars. Seriously.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by Cavalcade
Switch to UG Black, nublet.

I'm too old. Yuno, above the age of 14.
Check out my band Disturbed
Fact: the guys in the UG office prefer UG Black.
HxC, it's shit and people only like it cos people like it (stupid ****ing scene)
Djent, any bands after meshuggah are shit and their fans are pretentious buttwankers
Black Metal, I like the idea of it but I just don't get it
Death Metal, it's shit
Deathcore, it's shit
Grindcore, it's shit
basically ANYthing with the prefix -core, it's shit
****ing poppy metal bands
JRock
KRock
Anything that my doucher cousin listens to
Ballady metal with girly solos (BVB etc)
I can appreciate jazz, but it's shit

and most of all, Noise
the most pretentious bollocksy 'music' ever put forth by man
"hey this musics so music is isn't even music any more"
no,
it isn't,
**** off
Last edited by KiLLSWiTCH-KnoT at Feb 2, 2013,
Quote by theogonia777
I mean, I don't really like Popeye, but you still shouldn't make fun of his addiction.

Quote by KiLLSWiTCH-KnoT
HxC, it's shit and people only like it cos people like it (stupid ****ing scene)
Djent, any bands after meshuggah are shit and their fans are pretentious buttwankers
Black Metal, I like the idea of it but I just don't get it
Death Metal, it's shit
Deathcore, it's shit
Grindcore, it's shit
basically ANYthing with the prefix -core, it's shit
****ing poppy metal bands
JRock
KRock
Anything that my doucher cousin listens to
Ballady metal with girly solos (BVB etc)
I can appreciate jazz, but it's shit

and most of all, Noise
the most pretentious bollocksy 'music' ever put forth by man
"hey this musics so music is isn't even music any more"
no,
it isn't,
**** off

This is pretentious, that's what it is. All of it.

(Though, I do agree with you on 90% of Djent, but that's it. The other 10% of Djent is worth it, imho. Of course, that's like 5 bands, out of 100s.)

Edit:
Also, I don't see how noise music is pretentious. I could see how you may find certain aspects of experimental music pretentious, but noise...it's just noise.
I guess I can add psychobilly to the music I just don't "get". Friend of mine listens to it, but I don't see how
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Also, I don't see how noise music is pretentious. I could see how you may find certain aspects of experimental music pretentious, but noise...it's just noise.

Hard not to be pretentious while being melodramatic over a topic so inherently subjective

and noise is pretentious only cos of the mindset people that I know listen to it have

'I'm so far out the music I listen to technically isn't music, which is what makes it great'

the value they've ascribed to it isn't born out of aesthetically pleasing it sounds, but out of how it wouldn't be considered music by 'most people'

The list I compiled and how I wrote it might be pretentious as hell, but that's only cos it's my opinion, and everybody knows opinions are just onions with pee in.
I say it towards hxc/djent/the people that I know to listen to Noise cos its exactly what they are

98% of the kids around here only like HxC cos its the 'in' thing, with their stupid ****ing camo jackets and nike airs and 5panels, especially when you know for a fact they hated that shit not even 2 years ago.

Djent is pretentious cos it's impled awesomeness without the awesome. It's not heavy, not very rhythmic and all the bands have arsehole tone.

My paragraph was pretentious on purpose cos all it's ever gonna be is subjective opinion and it's fun to pretend it bothers me to the point of anger. My life is boring.
Quote by KiLLSWiTCH-KnoT
Hard not to be pretentious while being melodramatic over a topic so inherently subjective

and noise is pretentious only cos of the mindset people that I know listen to it have

'I'm so far out the music I listen to technically isn't music, which is what makes it great'

the value they've ascribed to it isn't born out of aesthetically pleasing it sounds, but out of how it wouldn't be considered music by 'most people'

how tf do you know why people listen to the music they do?
@killSwitch:
No, I'm calling your opinion pretentious because it basically seems like one of those opinions that's like, "What I don't like is pretentious/bad/etc."

Edit:
Damn page breaks...
In electronic music, I'd say really anorexic mixes. Like that Will.I.Am and Britney Spears song. The "drop" isn't fat, it's just some ding noises and autotune. A drop is supposed to make you drop into a frenzied arrangement of body movements you call dancing. Ding noises and autotune doesn't make you dance, it most likely will make you go WTF. Huge ear exploding sounds make a drop. Ding ding ding isn't a drop. I can bash a spoon against a tin can, is that a drop? No. And Will.I.Am is a hack of a producer and should ask David Guetta for tips. Or Deadmau5, as, say what you will, his songs are produced to the point where he probably wiped his computer screen with Windex.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
@killSwitch:
No, I'm calling your opinion pretentious because it basically seems like one of those opinions that's like, "What I don't like is pretentious/bad/etc."

Edit:
Damn page breaks...

I dislike like many other things, I only listed that which I had a sufficient enough distaste for, and as a result I believe I am entitled to be as petty as I want about it. It's an opinion-based thread, there isn't gonna be a 'correct' way to put it forth, so I chose the most incorrect way

Quote by due 07
how tf do you know why people listen to the music they do?

Because I'm specifically talking about certain people I've known for a while.
Because since HxC became the 'in thing', everyone has started to listen to it., people who previously hated that sort of thing.
Because when you know them and know for a fact that they haven't liked ANY type of metal since '09 (the 'death' of the last scene) and now all start dressing like Swaggots instead of in Drop Dead and all act the same and all like the same bands and all start going to the same shows just to be part of the new scene, it's pretty obvious they're just doing it to be 'cool'

Trust me, the HxC scene around where I live is pretentious as ****. It hasn't even got any connotations to what HxCs about, they just do it to be like everyone else/be cool.

Gosh it makes me so frickin angry.
Last edited by KiLLSWiTCH-KnoT at Feb 2, 2013,
I don't get modern Country/Pop Rock with a redneck singer. I don't think it's bad per-se, because I like "I Love a Rainy Night", which is a very pop-y country song, but I just don't get why people like it.
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

I rarely am, but when I'm angry, I listen to Converge. I'm just rarely angry. Listening to Converge calms me down.