Page 4 of 7
NMH aren't pretentious, their fans are incredibly pretentious though.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by theogonia777
I feel like you put something in maybe Cantonese through Google Translate and got something that doesn't mean what you thought it means. If that is what you meant to say, then what are you even talking about? Do you even know what a "subsubgenre" even is? And subsubgenre is not a word. "Microgenre" is the term you're looking for. I should also mention that all of those that you mentioned are subgenres and not microgenres. You also don't seem to know what a crossover genre is either.

It cracks me up how you take offense to my attacking some favorite genre(s) of yours, but can only nitpick on semantics as a comeback.
The more you say 'epic' the less it means.
Last edited by Dynamight at Feb 2, 2013,
I just lost a lot of respect for everyone in this thread who said Jazz. What do you mean you don't get how people can like it? There's so much great jazz, and so much of it has 10 times the feel and soul of any distorted guitar music out there.

ITT: Teenage metal heads don't get Jazz.

Call me pretentious, I don't care.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by JustRooster
I just lost a lot of respect for everyone in this thread who said Jazz. What do you mean you don't get how people can like it? There's so much great jazz, and so much of it has 10 times the feel and soul of any distorted guitar music out there.

It's just free jazz for me. Care to recommend some?
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Quote by JustRooster

Jazz is pretentious...it's like the guy who walks into a party , picks up a guitar and says "hey everybody , watch me bust out a 10 minute solo".

Not to mention the shitty time signatures and MANY bum notes. Jazz is the music of hipsters.

It's on my list with thrash metal or anything with "core" at the end.
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
It's just free jazz for me. Care to recommend some?

I'm more into small group stuff, specifically duos and trios. Here are a couple rad links.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUqyzY6GoLQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm2G_tP8ayI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHHVciJVrrA

Quote by burghUK
Jazz is pretentious...it's like the guy who walks into a party , picks up a guitar and says "hey everybody , watch me bust out a 10 minute solo".

Not to mention the shitty time signatures and MANY bum notes. Jazz is the music of hipsters.

You have an absolutely childish view of jazz.
Last edited by JustRooster at Feb 2, 2013,
You are everything i expect a jazz fan to be and more. Condescending and deaf.
Quote by burghUK

Well you're entitled to your opinion, even if it's a really ignorant one.
The more you say 'epic' the less it means.
Quote by burghUK
You are everything i expect a jazz fan to be and more. Condescending and deaf.

And above the age of 18.
You're right i should just bow down to jazz , as everything is inferior. c*nt.
Quote by burghUK
You're right i should just bow down to jazz , as everything is inferior. c*nt.

Now you're putting word in my mouth.
Quote by burghUK

There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
"Favorite bands :
Muse , Guns n roses , Rolling stones , REM, Ramones , Queen, NOFX , Franz ferdinand , David bowie , Blink 182"

Sounds about right.

Sorry Jazzfans , i haven't updated it for a while.

Dad rock is not inferior to jazz , your jazz mindset just makes you think that way.
Quote by theogonia777
Because Jimi's cover screams "Hey guys, look at how great of a guitarist I think I am! Who cares about the meaning of the lyrics, watch me bend the same two notes over and over and play the same sloppy pentatonic run that I played in the last tune!"

And yet that solo, recorded in the late 60s with purely analog equipment and with very random gear, sounds better than 99.99% of every solo I've ever heard since probably 1994.

C'mon man, the use of delay in that song alone makes it the stuff of Legends. I'm no Jimi slurper, never was. But I cannot for the life of me think of 5 solos better than that one
Last edited by bdof at Feb 2, 2013,
Quote by burghUK

Dad rock is not inferior to jazz , your jazz mindset just makes you think that way.

I listen to twice as much Baroness and the Allman Brothers that I do Jazz. I'm not really even a "Jazz-guy." There are just a few bands that I like. You just have a really immature stereotype of jazz.
Quote by burghUK

Man, talk about requiring some serious fucking growing-up.

Don't worry, you'll get real music when you're finished with puberty. We all age differently.
Quote by bdof
And yet that solo, recorded in the late 60s with purely analog equipment and with very random gear, sounds better than 99.99% of every solo I've ever heard since probably 1994.

C'mon man, the use of delay in that song alone makes it the stuff of Legends. I'm no Jimi slurper, never was. But I cannot for the life of me think of 5 solos better than that one :shrug:

Have you not listened to any music newer than 1994?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by burghUK

I don't like jazz. But dad rock is inferior to jazz.

Quote by JustRooster
I listen to twice as much Baroness and the Allman Brothers that I do Jazz. I'm not really even a "Jazz-guy." There are just a few bands that I like. You just have a really immature stereotype of jazz.

Ok now we are getting somewhere.

Tell me why my views of jazz are incorrect(according to you). Don't try playing the emotions card because a 20 minute freestyle piano solo accompanied by the same drum scores and basslines does nothing to stir up feelings.
Quote by theogonia777
Have you not listened to any music newer than 1994?

Yes. Have you no taste in solos?
Quote by burghUK
a 20 minute freestyle piano solo does nothing to stir up feelings.

That's objectively incorrect.

Also less than 1% of jazz features 20 minute solos or "freestyle solos" as you call them.
Quote by burghUK
Ok now we are getting somewhere.

Tell me why my views of jazz are incorrect(according to you). Don't try playing the emotions card because a 20 minute freestyle piano solo accompanied by the same drum scores and basslines does nothing to stir up feelings.

Because you think jazz is long and complicated for the sake of being long and complicated, which is obviously not true. You also think that people who listen to jazz automatically think they're better than other music fans. Every Jazz Fan I know listens to tons of other genres besides Jazz. I know literally zero people who only listen to jazz.

EDIT: Also, before you misconstrue my post, not all jazz is long and/or complicated. You just give off the impression that you think it is.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Man, talk about requiring some serious fucking growing-up.

Don't worry, you'll get real music when you're finished with puberty. We all age differently.

man , talking about pulling your head out your own arse...

"I try not to imitate anybody else's style or tone, as I'm an..."Originalist" I guess you can call me. My gear resembles nobody elses', my tone resembles nobody else's, and my playing style may have elements of many other guitarist's styles, but I don't focus on sounding like just one person."

what an arseh*le...
Quote by burghUK
man , talking about pulling your head out your own arse...

"I try not to imitate anybody else's style or tone, as I'm an..."Originalist" I guess you can call me. My gear resembles nobody elses', my tone resembles nobody else's, and my playing style may have elements of many other guitarist's styles, but I don't focus on sounding like just one person."

what an arseh*le...

Yeah, he sounds just like every famous guitarist ever.
Quote by JustRooster
Yeah, he sounds just like every famous guitarist ever.

Dimebag was totally original. He was the first one to aspire to sound like a hive of wasps. What a tool
Quote by bdof
Dimebag was totally original. He was the first one to aspire to sound like a hive of wasps. What a tool

Agreed , everybody only knows his name because he was killed.
I can always rely on a select few on UG for a good argument when im bored. I'm out of this one now.
Quote by burghUK
I can always rely on a select few on UG for a good argument when im bored. I'm out of this one now.

>gives ignorant opinion
>gets criticized for opinion
>gets mad over criticism
>claims he was having a good argument

Quote by bdof
Yes. Have you no taste in solos?

I mean, I could find you thousands of great solos since 1994. Heck, I could show you that many country, bluegrass, jazz, folk, prog, etc pieces with more than 5 great solos in as many minutes.
Last edited by theogonia777 at Feb 2, 2013,
If you can PM 5 better rock, metal, blues solos (I always have an open mind), then I'll stand corrected. No need to clutter this thread.
Quote by Xiaoxi

seriously...how can anyone like Dylan's over Hendrix? Dylan's musicianship is so amateur and awful....

I can't be the only one who likes Dylan's version much more than Hendrix
Quote by DonGlover

You look like a young Eugene Levy, but with a moustache.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought
Kicking a man when he's down, I'm proud of you

When they're down is the safest time.

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Sharks Stanley Cup 16-17,,,,?
Quote by skylerjames13
I can't be the only one who likes Dylan's version much more than Hendrix

Depends on how much you prefer folk-type music to guitar-driven, rock style stuff. I don't think it's weird to like Dylan's version more, though I definitely think Jimi now "owns" that song, just like Johnny Cash "owned" Hurt after he pried it from NIN's terrible fingers.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Dreadnought
Depends on how much you prefer folk-type music to guitar-driven, rock style stuff. I don't think it's weird to like Dylan's version more, though I definitely think Jimi now "owns" that song, just like Johnny Cash "owned" Hurt after he pried it from NIN's terrible fingers.

It depends.

I like certain kinds of music for certain reasons. Dylan's version just sounds so much more right, and more intimate.

Hendrix's is great, don't get me wrong, but the lyrics and the music just don't sit with me right.

If I want to listen to more guitar driven music, I'd listen to that kind of stuff. But if I want to listen to music that really focuses on lyrics and the music itself, I'd like Dylan's a lot more.
Quote by DonGlover

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Quote by skylerjames13
It depends.

I like certain kinds of music for certain reasons. Dylan's version just sounds so much more right, and more intimate.

Hendrix's is great, don't get me wrong, but the lyrics and the music just don't sit with me right.

If I want to listen to more guitar driven music, I'd listen to that kind of stuff. But if I want to listen to music that really focuses on lyrics and the music itself, I'd like Dylan's a lot more.

Do you have difficulty liking music that is pretty guitar driven but also very lyrical? For instance, Thrice is my favorite band, and I consider much of their stuff very guitar (and other instruments) driven but I also think their one of the best bands, lyrically, that I know of.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Dreadnought
Do you have difficulty liking music that is pretty guitar driven but also very lyrical? For instance, Thrice is my favorite band, and I consider much of their stuff very guitar (and other instruments) driven but I also think their one of the best bands, lyrically, that I know of.

I'm not too sure. I've kind of.. grown out of it?

Like I still like that stuff. I like listening to In Flames because of the instruments, and Billy Talent are one of my favourite bands because of the instruments/vocals

But I like bands like Metric who are very vocally/lyrically driven and The Tragically Hip who are very vocally/lyrically driven (with some guitar to an extent)

I don't listen to nearly as much metal as I used to. I've gotten a lot softer. I like a lot of hip hop/rap for the lyrics
Quote by DonGlover

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16