Page 5 of 7
Rap
Djent
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
I like most anything, but shit like Tyga and Lil Wayne I find to be absolute shit. I like other rap though.
I like most metal but it's not really something I avidly listen to, apart from Mastodon or Dream Theater.
I don't enjoy most djent style stuff, or Animals as leaders.
Quote by JustRooster
I just lost a lot of respect for everyone in this thread who said Jazz. What do you mean you don't get how people can like it? There's so much great jazz, and so much of it has 10 times the feel and soul of any distorted guitar music out there.

A lot of people who don't "get" Jazz haven't listened to it seriously.
Quote by donender
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeuhl

I have heard a fair bit of it, there was one track that i really liked, but i can't remember what it was called, but a fair bit of it is just too crazy for me.

I looked up 'Magma' after looking at that wiki entry and listened to De Futura.
It sounds amazing.

But OT, dubstep. Some of it sounds okay, but I'd rather listen to something like drum and bass.
A bunch of metal subgenres, but then again, I haven't listened to most. Just the ones I have listened to seem very much a case of wanting to sound the loudest and most indescript...

I feel a bit hypocritical posting in this thread because the genres I generally don't get/like are the ones I rarely listen to, so I don't really know if there's going to be something in it I like.
Breakfast, Breakfast, it's great for us
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, it can't be beat
Quote by schecter ftw
Any style of music where people play extremely technical just for the sake of being extremely technical.

I hear ya, but I've had to make some exceptions for bands that can do "bat shit insanely technical" and something else at the same time. Like Rings Of Saturn; they're not something I'd listen to casually, but I'll play their new album off YouTube from time to time just because the speed (and really, I don't give a rat's ass whether they sped it up) is a backdrop for something else. Specifically, that it sounds really fucking weird. They're all about space and aliens and shit, and it really does sound like it's written by aliens from space and shit.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
You're an idiot.

I will never understand generic rock like AC/DC or new "folk" like Mumford and Sons or The Avett Brothers.

You're a poop head!
I like jazz but I did not like that. Also her facial expressions were all wrong.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
Because Jimi's cover screams "Hey guys, look at how great of a guitarist I think I am! Who cares about the meaning of the lyrics, watch me bend the same two notes over and over and play the same sloppy pentatonic run that I played in the last tune!"

The original says "Hey, I've got something important to say, so listen up. I'm gonna add a couple of simple chords in the background so that it will be easier to remember what I'm saying, but not to the point where it's overbearing and completely gets in the way of the lyrics, which are really the important thing to take away from this song."

No.
Dylan: Hey, I'm gonna whine some great lyrics over a few chords and ruin the lyrics because i can't make good sounds.
Hendrix: Im going to take great lyrics and actually add them to a level of music that they deserve.
Music is about the sound. Saying lyrics are more important than the sound is just weird
Quote by theogonia777
I like jazz but I did not like that. Also her facial expressions were all wrong.

yeah, she can kinda grate on the nerves of some people. Personally I love her style, and her virtuosity is beyond dispute. I woulda linked her duet with Chick Corea on 'spain' but it got pulled from youtube
I'd rather listen to Cecil Taylor for jazz piano. I played a tribute to him at a coffeehouse one time. Needless to say, the people in the audience were very confused by my performance.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Are you asking about Music that I don't understand or Music I simply dislike? Seems like the latter.

I dislike scene-core quite a bit, primarily because of how arrogant the community is despite the music being so insipid. Classic Rock is the same.
Quote by macashmack
No.
Dylan: Hey, I'm gonna whine some great lyrics over a few chords and ruin the lyrics because i can't make good sounds.
Hendrix: Im going to take great lyrics and actually add them to a level of music that they deserve.
Music is about the sound. Saying lyrics are more important than the sound is just weird

hahahahahahahahahaha

hahaha

7/10
Quote by DonGlover

You look like a young Eugene Levy, but with a moustache.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought
Kicking a man when he's down, I'm proud of you

When they're down is the safest time.

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Sharks Stanley Cup 16-17,,,,?
Quote by macashmack
No.

I agree with this, to a point.
I don't.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by NothingRocks
I like jazz, but that just came off as showing off. The fast runs just don't fit that well.
It's contrast! And did you get past the 2-minute mark? I thoroughly enjoyed it; what an impassioned performance. Though I didn't like her groaning throughout.
I can't wait till my fro is full grown.
Escape The Fate, Black Veil Brides type ******ry. If you're gonna attempt to be anywhere in the same league as Motley Crue, stop singing like pussies, tune your guitar properly and develop a raging substance addiction.
Ibanez TSA30 < Boss OS-2 < Custom Frankenstein Strat w/ scalloped board and Epi LP pickup
I have a bunch, but I don't want people to argue with me about my opinions, I want links to things that might change my mind!

- I'm having trouble getting into electronic music. I dont know where to start. I like some infected mushroom and xenomorph, but I can't really find anything that 100% clicks, and I've been trying to look for a while.

- I can't find much good metalcore. I'm not exactly complaining about this one though I really like the album "An Ocean Between Us" but As I Lay Dying, but I really cant get into anything else in the genre.

- Jazz. Once again, I've tried, but I can't find anything that clicks and I don't know where to begin, since it's such an expansive genre. With metal and rock I'm comfortable because I know a lot of bands and how subgenres are grouped together and am very familiar, but qwhen I try to listen to jazz i just get confused and don't know what is good and what's bad.

- Classical music, once again, I don't hate/dislike it or anything, I just can't get into it, same as jazz. Halp?
Quote by JustRooster
Call me pretentious, I don't care.

i really hate that word, but it's painfully obvious you only listen to jazz because you think it makes you more 'adult'. i remember just like a month ago you were entry-level as fuck and now yr acting like yr some jazzhead head or something.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
A lot of people who don't "get" Jazz haven't listened to it seriously.

You're probably right. I think the idea of Jazz is more of a novelty or scene in most people's minds, rather than a genre of music.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by GoldfishMoon
I have a bunch, but I don't want people to argue with me about my opinions, I want links to things that might change my mind!

- I'm having trouble getting into electronic music. I dont know where to start. I like some infected mushroom and xenomorph, but I can't really find anything that 100% clicks, and I've been trying to look for a while.

- I can't find much good metalcore. I'm not exactly complaining about this one though I really like the album "An Ocean Between Us" but As I Lay Dying, but I really cant get into anything else in the genre.

- Jazz. Once again, I've tried, but I can't find anything that clicks and I don't know where to begin, since it's such an expansive genre. With metal and rock I'm comfortable because I know a lot of bands and how subgenres are grouped together and am very familiar, but qwhen I try to listen to jazz i just get confused and don't know what is good and what's bad.

- Classical music, once again, I don't hate/dislike it or anything, I just can't get into it, same as jazz. Halp?

Damn dude, you're missing out on classical, jazz, AND electronic music? That's a HUGE load of awesome that you aren't privy to.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by GoldfishMoon

I posted the type of jazz I'm into on the last page. There are three youtube vids. Check them out. Jazz is a HUGE genre. I only like about 10% of what I hear, but that 10% I do hear I tend to really, really like. Just gotta find your sound.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by JustRooster at Feb 3, 2013,
Quote by GoldfishMoon

Jazz can range from very unoriginal consumer jazz to ridiculously silly technical stuff. It's a huge genre that can offer something to everyone, I believe. Download Miles Davis's "Kind of Blue" album, that's what most people recommend as a standard jazz starting point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoPL7BExSQU
All of our days are numbered
I’ve taken some comfort
In knowing the wave has crested
Knowing I don’t have to be an exception
Last edited by InfiniteRain at Feb 3, 2013,
I "get" all music... It isn't hard to understand why someone would like a certain genre, even if you hate it...
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Quote by GoldfishMoon
George Benson, Stanley Jordan, Allan Holdsworth, Steve Lukanther, and Allen Hinds (not really jazz).

Obviously there's going to be some jazz-elitist hipster fag who's going to jump in and call them all "inferior" and "entry level" but whatever, they're great musicians, especially if you are just getting into the genre:

The deal with jazz that annoying children have problems with is that you can't just listen to it like you would your favorite songs you hear on the radio. You actually have to listen harder, and appreciate the musical value put into it.

You don't just go up to the Mona Lisa and say you think it's garbage because it's not "colorful" enough. You have to analyze un-obvious aspects deeply it an appreciate it properly.

Quote by GoldfishMoon
I'll just link you to the ever so popular composition that helped pave the way for pretty much all rock and metal:

Quote by StewieSwan

Oh gawd, a wild Babbit appears. Integral serialism is probably one of the only types of music that I can totally get why people don't like it. Even the most open-minded 20th century classical douches can barely bring themselves to like Babbit et al.
Quote by GoldfishMoon
...when I try to listen to jazz i just get confused and don't know what is good and what's bad.
Don't worry about whether it's 'good' or 'bad'. If you enjoy it, that's all you need. Among the suggestions made by others, I recommend some of the 'cool jazz' white pianists Dave Brubeck (RIP) and Bill Evans. I also always have to include a gypsy jazz plug.

I can't wait till my fro is full grown.
Last edited by FishStik at Feb 3, 2013,
I don't always listen to jazz...

...but when I do, I listen to gypsy jazz on jazzradio com...
Quote by ChemicalFire
You get my first ever lolstack

The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point

Aw yeah.
Screamo - Some of it's ok, but most of it just hurts my ears
New country - as soon as I hear lyrics about dip, trucks, being country, partying, bonfires, beer, my dog, tractors, the south, etc. etc. I am instantly annoyed.
Most rap - **** *** ** **** ** ******* nigga *** * **** *** *** knife *** ** then the cops came ******
^ Thanks for all the replies! I'll get listening. I've wanted to get into these genres for so long, and I enjoy atleast a bit whenever I hear something, but it's so goddamn confusing that I didn't know where to start.
Quote by gunsnroses#1
Screamo - Some of it's ok, but most of it just hurts my ears
New country - as soon as I hear lyrics about dip, trucks, being country, partying, bonfires, beer, my dog, tractors, the south, etc. etc. I am instantly annoyed.
Most rap - **** *** ** **** ** ******* nigga *** * **** *** *** knife *** ** then the cops came ******

all these sweeping generalizations.....
Lil B

I don't understand, is it a parody or what?
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect