Page 3 of 170
Yeah I was watching that game yesterday. Shit was ridiculous. Ruf's misplays and Cole working on his curveball didn't help but whatever, that game doesn't factor into Grapefruit league stats anyway

I don't know why people are so high on Ruf like he is the answer to the outfield "issue". He's awful in the field and only just played a full AA season. Give the guy more time.
This wouldn't be a baseball thread if a depressed Cubs fan didn't post:

Next Year Is Here!!!

although, if our rotation is as good as people think it could be, our bullpen doesn't suck like last year, and our offense scores enough runs to support our pitching staff, I think we can compete for a while

But at least we Cubs fans can be excited about this guy

If I were a girl, or gay...
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop Silverburst (Invader/'59)
-Fender Standard Telecaster HH Black (SH-5/'59)
-Fender Standard Stratocaster HH White (Nazgul/'59)
-Austin Guitars Les Paul Goldtop Copy (Distortion/'59)
-Ovation ApplauseAE44II Elite Black Acoustic

Amps/Cabs
-Peavey 6505+
-Peavey Stereo Chorus 2x12 Combo
-Behringer Ultracoustic ACX450 1x8 Acoustic Combo
-Marshall MX2x12 Cabinet

Wayyyyy too many effects pedals...
Last edited by MusicMan24 at Mar 6, 2013,
That was one of the best commercials. I loved it and laughed so much when I first saw it!

But as a Blues fan I can sympathize with Cubs fans
Quote by Andrea55
Sorry MusicMan.

*CubsWin*
I love that commercial On a related note, anyone have '13? It was released yesterday.
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
Quote by Andrea55

No.
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop Silverburst (Invader/'59)
-Fender Standard Telecaster HH Black (SH-5/'59)
-Fender Standard Stratocaster HH White (Nazgul/'59)
-Austin Guitars Les Paul Goldtop Copy (Distortion/'59)
-Ovation ApplauseAE44II Elite Black Acoustic

Amps/Cabs
-Peavey 6505+
-Peavey Stereo Chorus 2x12 Combo
-Behringer Ultracoustic ACX450 1x8 Acoustic Combo
-Marshall MX2x12 Cabinet

Wayyyyy too many effects pedals...
Anyone else notice that the teams highest and lowest on the preseason record will be flipped in roughly that order once the real season starts?

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/standings

E.g. Kansas, Seattle, Cleveland are the top 3, while Cincinatti, LA, and Texas are at the bottom.
58-32 NFL Thread Pick Em.
Quote by soundgarden1986
Im probably going to get it for my birthday in a couple months, if only because they usually shut down the previous years online service.
Speaking of which, want to play? I haven't bought '13 yet and probably won't until I get a job.

Mo confirmed that he will retire after this season.
Quote by Thefallofman
I can't wait to see the Yankees play in their wheelchairs.

Actually the AL East is gonna be fun. I'll be in the bleachers at Fenway, taking ironic jabs at the Sawx for lots of it.
Bench clearing brawl at the World Baseball Classic between Mexico and Canada after Mexican pitcher hits a batter after a Canadian player got a bunt base hit in the 9th inning. Anyone else watching this?
"Nobody likes an unkempt shrubbery - The Monty Python appreciation society"
Quote by soundgarden1986
Ugh, Derek Holland is ass
HE'S A TRAITOR.
Quote by Thefallofman
Brewers Fan here!

I play second base and short stop in my city baseball rec league. Been using Nike Diamond Elite Series gloves for the last couple years. Absolutely stellar infield gloves. Any other players about?
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by JustRooster at Mar 10, 2013,
Quote by JustRooster
Any other players about?
My arm is shot after years of pitching, so I've been reduced to stickball and the occasional softball game

Quote by soundgarden1986
you feel like playing a quick game of the show?
And interrupt my support for Team Freedom? You should be charged with treason for even suggesting it. Seriously though, I'd like to watch this game. I'll play later.
Quote by Thefallofman
Quote by BrainDamage
My arm is shot after years of pitching, so I've been reduced to stickball and the occasional softball game

That's a tragedy. Pitching really works a number on you. I only tried for a short while, but I've always been a natural side arm thrower, so it didn't go over well on the mound. All my breaking balls would rise into the zone.

Fits me well for SS and 2B, though. Especially on the turn. I've had people tell me that it's hard to learn, but for some reason I could never get natural throwing 'properly.'

Blessing and a curse. Oh well.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I play baseball a lot with friends, and sometimes I pitch. I try to stick to center field though, because the way I throw has to be dreadful for my arm. I pull my right arm completely behind my back, and sling it sideways with my right hand upside down. Then, I use my forearm and whip my hand right side up right when my arm crosses the halfway point between my chest and back.

or I'll go 100% over hand and stick my left arm in the air, then "pull down" with that and put my right arm in the air, but not straight up. It's to the left of my head so everything comes at people in a weird down and left sort of motion. It's hard to explain without pictures.
Quote by JustRooster
That's a tragedy. Pitching really works a number on you. I only tried for a short while, but I've always been a natural side arm thrower, so it didn't go over well on the mound. All my breaking balls would rise into the zone.
There was a guy on my high school team who did the whole Chad Bradford submarine thing and he was the most bipolar pitcher I ever played with. Some days he was absolutely lights out then others he would hit four batters in a row. I guess you gotta really work at it to get a sidearm delivery like that to work.

Quote by soundgarden1986
I play baseball a lot with friends, and sometimes I pitch. I try to stick to center field though, because the way I throw has to be dreadful for my arm. I pull my right arm completely behind my back, and sling it sideways with my right hand upside down. Then, I use my forearm and whip my hand right side up right when my arm crosses the halfway point between my chest and back.

or I'll go 100% over hand and stick my left arm in the air, then "pull down" with that and put my right arm in the air, but not straight up. It's to the left of my head so everything comes at people in a weird down and left sort of motion. It's hard to explain without pictures.
None of that sounds healthy at all

I love pitching and I wish my arm/shoulder was healthy enough to at least play in a rec league. I really regret not developing my circle change and 2-seamer enough as well as not learning how to throw a cut fastball until I stopped playing.
Quote by Thefallofman
Used to play softball ages ago! Played a decent SS and utility player. My strength was my fielding, I could practically catch anything. I wasn't that good at the plate though. Funnily enough when we used to play softball in PE the boys were horrible!!! They were so afraid to throw the ball at me and when I would throw it back it was a nice surprise for them.

I'm thinking of getting back into shape and going into my college's softball team. It would mostly be intramural but it would get me back into that competitive mode that I miss so much. Also I like my cheap little Wilson glove. I've never changed that baby.
STಠ_ಠ
Quote by BrainDamage

None of that sounds healthy at all

I love pitching and I wish my arm/shoulder was healthy enough to at least play in a rec league. I really regret not developing my circle change and 2-seamer enough as well as not learning how to throw a cut fastball until I stopped playing.

The weird thing is I get more arm discomfort by throwing in conventional ways I get no pain or fatigue throwing the way I do. But that doesn't mean it's safe either.
Quote by Andrea55
I'm thinking of getting back into shape and going into my college's softball team. It would mostly be intramural but it would get me back into that competitive mode that I miss so much.
Do it! I played intramural softball all four years of school and it was a blast. We took it entirely too seriously and we actually had a pretty decent team of mostly the same people all four years. Made it a few rounds into the playoffs my senior year but lost because we had to play with three outfielders instead of four when one of them separated his shoulder trying to throw a runner out. The opposing team just hit the gaps for the rest of the game and killed us. I think I went like, 12-14 during the regular season that year

Quote by soundgarden1986
The weird thing is I get more arm discomfort by throwing in conventional ways I get no pain or fatigue throwing the way I do. But that doesn't mean it's safe either.
All I could think of when I read the description of your first motion was this.
Quote by Thefallofman
The thing is, I dont really bend my right arm. It's more like a trebuchet than anything.

Also, 'MURRICA

EDIT. ill be on much later tonight. Like 9/10 maybe if that's okay with you. Some family business came up and I won't really be home until then.
Last edited by soundgarden1986 at Mar 10, 2013,
Quote by BrainDamage
Do it! I played intramural softball all four years of school and it was a blast. We took it entirely too seriously and we actually had a pretty decent team of mostly the same people all four years. Made it a few rounds into the playoffs my senior year but lost because we had to play with three outfielders instead of four when one of them separated his shoulder trying to throw a runner out. The opposing team just hit the gaps for the rest of the game and killed us. I think I went like, 12-14 during the regular season that year

Haha, sounds awesome! Yeah, I am really thinking about it. The problem is I have to take almost 20 units. :\ That's a lot of classes for me and then I have to stay on campus till it gets dark and I live a pretty long way from my school. Well, since I did take the spring off I could start getting back into shape during the summer and winter and when next spring comes around I could be ready for it. I kinda regret selling my old cleats now.

Hell yeah USA!
STಠ_ಠ
Quote by soundgarden1986
Ugh, Derek Holland is ass, and that last at bat reminded why I dont miss Victorino at all.

Hey now. 4 hits and 2 earned runs through 5 aint bad.
Quote by Waffleexplosion
Only in a vodka ad could Mexico win a war.
Quote by soundgarden1986
EDIT. ill be on much later tonight. Like 9/10 maybe if that's okay with you. Some family business came up and I won't really be home until then.
That's fine.

Quote by Andrea55
Haha, sounds awesome! Yeah, I am really thinking about it. The problem is I have to take almost 20 units. :\ That's a lot of classes for me and then I have to stay on campus till it gets dark and I live a pretty long way from my school. Well, since I did take the spring off I could start getting back into shape during the summer and winter and when next spring comes around I could be ready for it. I kinda regret selling my old cleats now.
20 credits? That's rough. I never took more than 16 and even that was a struggle when they were all engineering classes.

Also, hopefully Torre puts Kimbrel in to shut the door. 'MURICA!

EDIT: HOSMER CLEARS THE BASES WITH A FREEDOM DOUBLE.
EDIT 2: Aaaaand the USA advances.
EDIT 3:
Quote by genghisgandhi
Since the Yanks are gonna suck my fandom has been renewed. I honestly hope they're an 80 win team this year.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9025135/the-evil-empire-new-york-yankees-to-fall

Really great article about how they're ****ed for the next five years.
That was a really good read.
Quote by Thefallofman
Quote by BrainDamage
That's fine.

20 credits? That's rough. I never took more than 16 and even that was a struggle when they were all engineering classes.

Also, hopefully Torre puts Kimbrel in to shut the door. 'MURICA!

EDIT: HOSMER CLEARS THE BASES WITH A FREEDOM DOUBLE.
EDIT 2: Aaaaand the USA advances.
EDIT 3: That was a really good read.

Someone always writes and article like this and it's always wrong.
Also, anyone have some advice to break a glove in quick? I finally got back to playing baseball last year. It had been a few years, and my old glove didn't fit anymore, so I bought a new one. Signed up for intramural softball at my school, and it's an outfielder's glove, so it's big enough, but it's still pretty stiff, and I want it nice and comfy by the time I play.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 46-49
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Quote by necrosis1193
Also, anyone have some advice to break a glove in quick? I finally got back to playing baseball last year. It had been a few years, and my old glove didn't fit anymore, so I bought a new one. Signed up for intramural softball at my school, and it's an outfielder's glove, so it's big enough, but it's still pretty stiff, and I want it nice and comfy by the time I play.

Oil it, put a ball in it, sleep on it.

I basically abuse new gloves till they lose that stiff rubber feel lol
Quote by Guitarlord44
Someone always writes and article like this and it's always wrong.
They're in bad shape to start the season. A lot has to go right for them to have a good year.

Brandon, ready when you are.
Quote by Thefallofman
Quote by DukeDeRox
Oil it, put a ball in it, sleep on it.

I basically abuse new gloves till they lose that stiff rubber feel lol

Anything I could use as a substitute for oil? The only oily things I have are some frozen pizzas, and a bottle of shampoo.

Quote by genghisgandhi
Bake it in an oven

Don't have one in my dorm room.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 46-49
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0