So I've been sitting in my biology class getting increasingly pissed off with my teacher because of her "trendy teaching techniques" [as my music teacher calls them]. The general consensus in my class is that we haven't felt like we've learnt anything and her teaching methods aren't working with us. Also, she talks down to her students a lot, which is why we don't like her.

So, how do we politely tell her and make sure gets the message? She's quite patronising [some of it's justified, to be honest, because of some annoying people in my class] and always wants to do things her way, whether or not it is beneficial to us or not. Obviously, we don't want her to hate us, but we want to be taught too.

Also, when I say "trendy teaching techniques", I mean stuff like:
- Putting us in groups, making us split off and we each research a disease and then teach the rest of the group about it. She made us do this for an hour and it would have taken half an hour to make the notes for it from a textbook and the other half could have been used to consolidate the knowledge in some way.
- Making us walk around the room to simulate blood flow....

etc

Also, does anyone else have any bad teacher stories [mine's probably nowhere near as bad as a lot of people's]?
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Nothing wrong with either of those things. Peer teaching is a valuable tool - by teaching others you are consolidating your knowledge.

Is that it? What else is she doing that's so dreadful?

Anyway a lot of students learn better when they get to do something active for a short period of time. I don't teach a practical subject but even I get students to do a bit of stretching or get out of their seats to let them burn off some energy before we carry on. Yours even had some learning embedded in it.

What year are you in?
Last edited by Mistress_Ibanez at Feb 2, 2013,
Hmm thats interesting...

I was expected something really weird...

Last Wednesday the people in my Film Studies class had to do the lesson in groups giving presentations on different scenes from different films we studied. Thats kind of similar to what you had to do from reading above. Its a totally fine method of teaching.
My manager was a ****ing spacker. On the day I expected to be taking an interview for the job she turned to her assistant manager and asked "have you ever done an interview before? because I haven't." Note: she'd been the manager of that shop for over 10 years. Then whilst I was working there there was so many dodgy things going on, she'd hired all of her friends and a few people who weren't her friends, god forbid if you weren't her friend and did something wrong. Her friends do something wrong and that's perfectly fine though. I'd get told off for doing something, her friend of 50 years who was also new would do the same and she'd be fine. Then she accuses me of trying to steal £5 with absolutely no evidence. **** that bitch.

Yes i'm ****ing mad.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Delegation and empowerment via giving people responsibility are key tools in business You should be ****ing thankful.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Nothing wrong with either of those things. Peer teaching is a valuable tool - by teaching others you are consolidating your knowledge. A good point, but don't you think it's risky having to rely on other students for knowledge? What if they've missed things out and got things wrong?

Is that it? What else is she doing that's so dreadful?

Nothing else really and I may have exaggerated . It's just that I don't like how most of her students are finding biology so tough when compared to the students with other teachers and other subjects. We have two teachers per subject and the other biology teacher is great - he knows our group quite well and can see how we learn unlike this teacher. We're more "textbook" students here and it's hard switching from one way of learning to another. The vast majority of other AS subjects are taught more "traditionally" [or whatever it's called] with the exception of art, drama and PE. Even in my music class, I'm subjected to death-by-powerpoint with no interaction.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

Quote by Trowzaa
My manager was a ****ing spacker. On the day I expected to be taking an interview for the job she turned to her assistant manager and asked "have you ever done an interview before? because I haven't." Note: she'd been the manager of that shop for over 10 years. Then whilst I was working there there was so many dodgy things going on, she'd hired all of her friends and a few people who weren't her friends, god forbid if you weren't her friend and did something wrong. Her friends do something wrong and that's perfectly fine though. I'd get told off for doing something, her friend of 50 years who was also new would do the same and she'd be fine. Then she accuses me of trying to steal £5 with absolutely no evidence. **** that bitch.

Yes i'm ****ing mad.

Did the £5 thing escalate? Can't you go to a union for this sort of crap you're having to deal with?
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I once had a boss at a nightclub I used to work in who stiffed me over a hundred Euros in pay.

That happened like 4 years ago. I made an angry thread about it, and I'm still pissed at that asshat.
Quote by Woffelz
Did the £5 thing escalate? Can't you go to a union for this sort of crap you're having to deal with?

Yeah, I had to have a disciplinary meeting where she said "you can either quit now and have a clean record or we can have the disciplinary and you could end up being sacked." So I pretty much told her to shove it up her arse and quit. Right from the start it seemed like she wanted rid of me.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by Woffelz
Nothing else really and I may have exaggerated . It's just that I don't like how most of her students are finding biology so tough when compared to the students with other teachers and other subjects. We have two teachers per subject and the other biology teacher is great - he knows our group quite well and can see how we learn unlike this teacher. We're more "textbook" students here and it's hard switching from one way of learning to another. The vast majority of other AS subjects are taught more "traditionally" [or whatever it's called] with the exception of art, drama and PE. Even in my music class, I'm subjected to death-by-powerpoint with no interaction.

Sounds like you have a lot of shit, unengaging teachers and you should be grateful that you have a teacher who is spending her free time planning engaging and active lessons for you rather than just turning up and saying "open the textbook to page..."
Quote by CoreysMonster
I once had a boss at a nightclub I used to work in who stiffed me over a hundred Euros in pay.

You mean literally with the money on the bed? Hawt
The worst I can remember was a university lecturer for c++ programming. He was the sort who seemed to assume that he was talking to a bunch of people who already knew as much as he did. If we did, then why would we need him to lecture to us?

And even worse, he developed his own sort of weird personal code to explain what was happening on an assembler level, and his weird code was used in our notes - but he never explained what it meant, so we had a frantic time trying to figure it out for ourselves when it came to revision time.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Sounds like you have a lot of shit, unengaging teachers and you should be grateful that you have a teacher who is spending her free time planning engaging and active lessons for you rather than just turning up and saying "open the textbook to page..."

I respectfully disagree [and probably should have mentioned that she doesn't plan much in advance - at one point she even asked another teacher what to do]. Don't get me wrong, I actually like her enthusiasm for the subject but the way she teaches doesn't help convey it.

I also disagree with you saying that the other teachers are shit. My music teacher may bore us to death in lessons, but he does go out of his way by a considerable amount to help us with coursework and performances. Chemistry and maths here's pretty much taught out of textbook and it works for the students here [except for practical skills for chemistry]. I think the students in the classes I'm in learn differently to the students you teach.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

Last edited by Woffelz at Feb 2, 2013,
Quote by Woffelz
I respectfully disagree [and probably should have mentioned that she doesn't plan much in advance - at one point she even asked another teacher what to do]. Don't get me wrong, I actually like her enthusiasm for the subject but the way she teaches doesn't help convey it.

I also disagree with you saying that the other teachers are shit. My music teacher may bore us to death in lessons, but he does go out of his way by a considerable amount to help us with coursework and performances. Chemistry and maths here's pretty much taught out of textbook and it works for the students here [except for practical skills for chemistry]. I think the students in the classes I'm in learn differently to the students you teach.

You're telling me there is some stepford school somewhere were EVERYONE learns differently to the rest of the country? I teach about 400 children in total.

I am going to assume from that statement that this discussion is going to get me nowhere so I will just say the following:

1. Don't say anything. She is a professional who is allowed to make professional decisions about what is in your best interest. Leave her to do as she sees best.

2. You didn't say what year you are in so I assumed 10. Just because you have been taught doesn't mean you know about teaching. Sounds like she's doing ok.

By the way, an Ofsted inspector would call a 'death by powerpoint' lesson Inadequate. And a textbook lesson. The activities you initially complained about are what get teachers Outstanding gradings.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
You're telling me there is some stepford school somewhere were EVERYONE learns differently to the rest of the country? I teach about 400 children in total.

I am going to assume from that statement that this discussion is going to get me nowhere so I will just say the following:

1. Don't say anything. She is a professional who is allowed to make professional decisions about what is in your best interest. Leave her to do as she sees best.

2. You didn't say what year you are in so I assumed 10. Just because you have been taught doesn't mean you know about teaching. Sounds like she's doing ok.

By the way, an Ofsted inspector would call a 'death by powerpoint' lesson Inadequate. And a textbook lesson. The activities you initially complained about are what get teachers Outstanding gradings.

He mentioned AS a few posts back.

I've been doing some STEM Ambassadoring recently, and all I can say is that I'm glad I ended up going into industry rather than teaching. I have massive respect for everybody that does it.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Not everyone. Most people in this class, but not necessarily in other classes.

I will take this advice.

2. You didn't say what year you are in so I assumed 10. Just because you have been
taught doesn't mean you know about teaching. Sounds like she's doing ok.

I'm in Y12. I agree - I don't know about teaching, but don't you think it's ultimately about how the students learn?

That's fair enough.

The text I have entered was too short. Characters and stuff.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

Quote by Confuse-a-Cat
He mentioned AS a few posts back.

I've been doing some STEM Ambassadoring recently, and all I can say is that I'm glad I ended up going into industry rather than teaching. I have massive respect for everybody that does it.

As do I. Unless it's one of those teachers who hate their job and make the students hate that subject.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

So wait, you have a teacher encouraging self-directed group learning, peer teaching, and breaks up lectures with physical activity. How are all of those things not amazing? These are actual skills that will be useful and is exactly the kind of things that general public education should be focused on instead of "textbook learning" and memorization of facts (in my humbly uneducated about education opinion).
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
So wait, you have a teacher encouraging self-directed group learning, peer teaching, and breaks up lectures with physical activity. How are all of those things not amazing? These are actual skills that will be useful and is exactly the kind of things that general public education should be focused on instead of "textbook learning" and memorization of facts (in my humbly uneducated about education opinion).

It might work for some people, but it's not really working for us. While I agree with you in saying that those skills are useful, it's not really used well. What I mean by that we were asked to do this task for something that would be worth a small question or two in an exam. If this task was for a larger topic, it would have made more sense. The result was lost time.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

Quote by Woffelz
(...)

- Putting us in groups, making us split off and we each research a disease and then teach the rest of the group about it. She made us do this for an hour and it would have taken half an hour to make the notes for it from a textbook and the other half could have been used to consolidate the knowledge in some way.

etc
(...)

THAT.

Right there.

Is probably half the reason I didn't go back to college.

And it was full of high school kids and was basically just like high school except a huge pain in the ass and not free, and actually a huge scam in my case because it wouldn't have contributed anything to the field I was planning to go into at the time.

Also, group shit is ****ing annoying. I used to just get in the group, ask everyone exactly what they wanted me to do, and then I'd write down exactly that, and I'd **** off. I just couldn't stand the stupid conversation and discussions, always felt like I needed to get the **** out asap so I could grab my hour long bus ride back and go get ****ing plastered with my buddies at the mess. Also, I wanted to throat punch everyone so badly it was ******ed. ****in' hippie kids fresh out of high school being all annoying and shit.
Last edited by metalblaster at Feb 2, 2013,
One of my professors has been giving us hand outs and projects that were done by the professor who the class years before him. The hand outs still have the old professor's name on the last page! AND HE ACKNOWLEDGES IT!

It really pisses me off but at least the government paid the class for me and not me.
Last edited by metaldud536 at Feb 2, 2013,
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

lol. Teach the damn class instead of wasting people's time with that garbage.
My math teacher grades our notes.

I'm gonna say that again.

She grades our notes.
It was my privilege
TS's teacher doesn't sound bad at all. At least she's doing something, I've had teachers just read us the textbook.

The professor for my online class is giving us assignments that aren't in the syllabus so the only way to find them is to go through every page on the website(not an easy task with our internet) and see if anything has been put up. That pisses me off because I'm still not sure what I'm supposed to do for one assignment.
Quote by WCPhils
According to that chart, women like men with a Pringle canister down there.
Michael Kelly Patriot Glory
Ibanez RG8
Blackstar HT 20 w/ Jet City cab
whole bunch o' pedals
my english teacher is insane. some girl wasn't in class one day, and a bunch of people said they saw her earlier. he goes, "she's probably out in the parking lot taking a smoke." everyone was like wtf. he used to be a waiter at some really fancy restaurant in california and served steven tyler, among other celebrities, and he said steven was a bitch.

he's actually pretty funny, except he's not joking when he says weird stuff sometimes. a couple days ago, we were reading about the lotus eaters in the odyssey, and he mentioned that he was personally acquainted and friends with dozens of drug addicts.

he also has a bee farm and knew joey ramone.
you're a stone fox
9th grade Geology teacher. Almost everyday, she would assign us to read some stuff out of the text book and answer the questions at the end of the chapter, while she sat on her computer and browsed 4chan or something (Probably not, but all she did was sit at the computer all class) She was fired at the end of that year, so I guess there's a silver lining to everything.

8th grade Math teacher. She was a stereotypical loud, obnoxious New Yorker with a serious superiority complex. She would constantly remind us that she made the rules, tell us that we were basically her little math minions while we were in her class. She even had a small PA system (no joke) that she'd talk to us through.

I had a professor in University that taught an introductory course to computer networking. She was basically just an extremely lazy teacher. All her lectures were based off of ready-made Powerpoints that came with the text book. I use lecture loosely in that last sentence, as she'd basically just read the text on the slide and then restate it in her own words. Everything about that class was theory, we never learned anything about the real-world aspects of networking, which is far more important than the theory IMO. Her tests were BS too. We don't need to be tested on what type of cable has what bandwidth, 10 minuets with Google will tell us everything we need to know about cabling whenever we need.
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
My manager makes up laws.

Banned me from using the forklift because I wear glasses for driving (I even wear them on the fork lift), made me go get another eye check up, give her the prescription she then told me she wanted an "eye report" not a prescription, rang up numerous opticians and they said they had heard of no such thing. then she told me its against health and safety laws for me to drive it without this mythical eye report (even though I have a fork truck licence) and asked for the number of my opticians so she could call and ask for a report, this was 3 months ago and she hasn't even called them after harassing me for previously mentioned report. drove it pick up something off a truck as no-one else was there (they were all on lunch) she saw it and threatened to fire me.

Also she never pays us on time and always smells like tuna.
I had a teacher for a computer class in high school who could have easily passed as the predator, old with massive glittery nails and dreadlocks. She knew absolutely jack sh*t and at least half of every class period was spent copying newspaper articles and changing formatting in word docs. Luckily she got 'transferred away' the year after I had her class.
Quote by Woffelz
So I've been sitting in my biology class getting increasingly pissed off with my teacher because of her "trendy teaching techniques" [as my music teacher calls them]. The general consensus in my class is that we haven't felt like we've learnt anything and her teaching methods aren't working with us. Also, she talks down to her students a lot, which is why we don't like her.

So, how do we politely tell her and make sure gets the message? She's quite patronising [some of it's justified, to be honest, because of some annoying people in my class] and always wants to do things her way, whether or not it is beneficial to us or not. Obviously, we don't want her to hate us, but we want to be taught too.

etc

Also, does anyone else have any bad teacher stories [mine's probably nowhere near as bad as a lot of people's]?

I know that feel. I hate teachers like this and unfortunately there are a good many of them. It is simply not time effective to do stupid activities. The people that say at least the teacher is doing something active and promoting group work need to go back to high school or college...kids are freaking dumb. Forcing group projects does not build team work, it does not promote communication, it does not get the material better presented. All group work does is make the one kid who actually cares about his grade step up and say okay I'll do the project. All of the classes that I have learned the most in were taught by a professor standing in front of the class, dictating important facts and outlining the textbook's teachings...everyone knows whats important to write down, everyone has the same information, and everyone learned from the individual who is actually giving the test on the material so it will be catered to his or her specifications, vocabulary, and caliber of toughness.
Currently Playing:
Arma 2/3, Dayz, GW2, GTA, Splinter Cell, ESO, FF:X, Pokemon X
Quote by OG frenchy
My manager makes up laws.

Banned me from using the forklift because I wear glasses for driving (I even wear them on the fork lift), made me go get another eye check up, give her the prescription she then told me she wanted an "eye report" not a prescription, rang up numerous opticians and they said they had heard of no such thing. then she told me its against health and safety laws for me to drive it without this mythical eye report (even though I have a fork truck licence) and asked for the number of my opticians so she could call and ask for a report, this was 3 months ago and she hasn't even called them after harassing me for previously mentioned report. drove it pick up something off a truck as no-one else was there (they were all on lunch) she saw it and threatened to fire me.

Also she never pays us on time and always smells like tuna.

Dude, find a union or someone higher up to sort her out. That's just unacceptable.

I think my manager has gone crazy through years of sleep depravation.
OUT OF ORDER