Page 1 of 2
Man im trying to form a band. but no one wants to play the bass. everybody thinks the guitarist and the singer is the one who lost their vredit card. come on. im the guitarist and i want to play three days grace paramore style songs. my friend who can play bass is willing. but hes the only person. im trying to find a drummer. i might be the singer. but i cant play and sing at the same time. why are bass players uncommon?
Because the guitarists get all the glory. Jimmy Page, Stevie Ray Vaughn, B.B. King, Albert King, Kirk Hammett, Zakk Wylder, Jimmy Hendrix. The list goes on and on.

More people are inspired by guitarists then they are bassists. So that leads to an over abundance of guitar players and not much else.

EDIT:
I can name the greatest bass players of the past 20 years on one hand.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Last edited by Alucard817 at Feb 3, 2013,
Because only amazingly gifted individuals can play bass. We are the rarest of creatures and should be appreciated and worshiped with offerings of fine alcohol and rare woods.

Seriously--check out music departments, put up ads at stores or ask around. You'll find your bass player.
Because everyone thins we're a bunch of failed guitarists. Only the intelligent people know how screwed guitarists would be without us, and those intelligent people are either bass players or play other good instruments (i.e. not guitar). And why not play and sing? it takes some practice to do but makes you way more valuable in any band if you're able to.
The Gtrst for Demonic Domain found me on Craigslist.

He says I am the best and most consistently paid Bassist is DFW Metroplex, as he pays me to reherse and thus sort of has me on a Payroll, because he is just not going to find another one, he says.

He is smart enough to be able to tell when he is working with someone who plays because the tone inspires them, not because they could not make the Lead Gtrst Cut.

I feel the main reason the Bass is overlooked by most people is that the Human Brain is really attracted to Melody or Rythm. Drums or the Melody line. There are not many "and" people.

Only the more sophisticated Ear distinguishes the Bass.

Meanwhile, Gtrst have spent decades trying to keep the Bass from upstaging them, and resented them leaving any of the parameters of space that they believe the Bass must remain in.

Cliff Burton was acclaimed for doing things that I was doing a few years before him, and I had effects to the point that my Dad asked when there would be enough.

In the Band where I played and it caused stage rushes and fists in my face for the duration of each song, I once was noticed playing a Rythm Gtr line under a lead, with the top 3 strings on my 6 String.

Two chicks in front of me started screaming at the top of their Lungs. They probably were just out for a wild time anyway. Later I was fired for my 2x12 being too loud against his 3 Stacks.

Meanwhile, Gtrst are going to 7 and 8 String running the Bass off the Stage completely.

This will make us even more Rare.

As such Unsung Heros, those of us who remain will therefore prove our righteous position, as we actually love our instrument more than we love our Egos, for we love making music more than making an image.
Ibanez BTB 1006 Fretless and 405 (no Barts)
456 & 455(w/Barts)
Genz Benz NeoX400 112T & NeoX 112T cab.
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Boss: SYB-5, PS-2, OD-20, EQ-20, PH-3,BF-3, CE-20, DD-20
Morely A/B
whooooooole lotta veiled elitism up in here

Quote by anarkee
Because only amazingly gifted individuals can play bass. We are the rarest of creatures and should be appreciated and worshiped with offerings of fine alcohol and rare woods.

Seriously--check out music departments, put up ads at stores or ask around. You'll find your bass player.

except this, this is 100% accurate. do this and listen to this
Quote by theogonia777
Hail killed MT

Quote by jongtr
I want to be Hail when I grow up.
Quote by Hail
whooooooole lotta veiled elitism up in here

Whoops, didn't mean to veil it. There are exceptions but generally the guitarists I've had to deal with have huge egos, little musical knowledge, and insist that I must play bass because I'm not good enough for guitar. Then get shitty when I start using proper musical terms instead of dumbing it down for them.
Quote by Alucard817
Because the guitarists get all the glory. Jimmy Page, Stevie Ray Vaughn, B.B. King, Albert King, Kirk Hammett, Zakk Wylder, Jimmy Hendrix. The list goes on and on.

More people are inspired by guitarists then they are bassists. So that leads to an over abundance of guitar players and not much else.

EDIT:

I can name more bass players than guitar players

and I can name more good bass players than I can good guitar players
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
Quote by Alucard817

EDIT:

None of those guitarists are of the last twenty years.
Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan
Because I'm slowly getting rid of them all to give me more work...
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Why not use your friend if he wants to play?

I can count the sought after bass players in my area including me on one hand. Good bassist are hard to find but they are the ones that get the most work. Switch to bass its more fun anyway.
Quote by Ziphoblat
None of those guitarists are of the last twenty years.

All are still active except for two. stevie and Jimmy, which are obviously dead.

Fact of the matter is my point is still valid. There are nowhere near as many good high profile bass players as there are guitarists.
Why? Because guitarists get all the attention.
Quote by FatalGear41

Everyone wants to play guitar, the bass is largely thought of as the back ground. But as you have found out there are not many capable bass players that have giging rigs either.

Trust me I spent almost 1 yr trying to replace my old bassiest till we finaly found a suitable replacement.

No I don't know too many bassiests, but the ones I do know of are pretty damn good, because they are in such high demand
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Alucard817
All are still active except for two. stevie and Jimmy, which are obviously dead.

Fact of the matter is my point is still valid. There are nowhere near as many good high profile bass players as there are guitarists.
Why? Because guitarists get all the attention.

Grievous misinterpretation of "statistics". Maybe it's because it's easier to get away with doing sod all if you play bass. Doesn't mean there's any less recognition to be had if you put in the time to get good at it.
Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan
Bassists, like drummers, form the foundation of a group by providing rhythm - fundamental (and a lost cause without them), but certainly in most compositions NOT the most outstanding portion.
So, who gets the adulation? The Lead Guitar. The guy that plays the melody one note at a time...
OK - I can live with that because I know that most listeners have never taken the time to think WHAT the song would be without the rhythm. Take away the bass and you take away the pulse. I'm just happy to still play.
I did not start getting aclaim until I did not care.

Bassists have to be able to accept that they are not going to be looked at and be up front.

The Lure of Fame drives people to something else. Not Bass.
Ibanez BTB 1006 Fretless and 405 (no Barts)
456 & 455(w/Barts)
Genz Benz NeoX400 112T & NeoX 112T cab.
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Boss: SYB-5, PS-2, OD-20, EQ-20, PH-3,BF-3, CE-20, DD-20
Morely A/B
Quote by Ziphoblat
Grievous misinterpretation of "statistics". Maybe it's because it's easier to get away with doing sod all if you play bass. Doesn't mean there's any less recognition to be had if you put in the time to get good at it.

You do have a point about putting time into it. It seems as though we bass players have to put a lot more into it for anyone to remember our names.

I also have noticed a lot of bands now a days seem to put bassists into a box, and keep them there.
Quote by FatalGear41

I must be in some kind of hell because I'm one of only two or three bass players in my area, and I'm having a lot of problems finding anyone who needs a bass player.
Quote by Alucard817
You do have a point about putting time into it. It seems as though we bass players have to put a lot more into it for anyone to remember our names.

I also have noticed a lot of bands now a days seem to put bassists into a box, and keep them there.

hell, everyone remembers Kurt Cobain. that alone is proof that you don't need to be a good guitar player to be remembered as one
Quote by CJ Noble
hell, everyone remembers Kurt Cobain. that alone is proof that you don't need to be a good guitar player to be remembered as one

He also had the emo grunge thing going for him. Besides look at the people who think he was good. nuff said.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by CJ Noble

I'd wager that if he wasn't the singer/front man that far less people would care about his guitar playing.
Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan
Quote by Ziphoblat
I'd wager that if he wasn't the singer/front man that far less people would care about his guitar playing.

+1. Especially about the cow thing.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Oh. My. God. Are you guys serious?

People here are talking like bass is much better and more important than guitar. They are both instruments. You are behaving like the guitarists who think bass is useless. I play both bass and guitar and also trumpet. They are all instruments and have different purposes. Of course bass is needed but so is guitar and trumpet. Let a bassist play alone with a drummer and nobody will listen to it. Why? Because it lacks the melody. It's only groove. That's why you need an instrument that plays the melody, for example trumpet or guitar or piano or whatever. People don't consciously listen to bass but I think bass is there to make the song sound good as well as the other instruments. The purpose of every instrument is to make the song sound good. Not to play the most interesting parts or show your skills. Many people concentrate on guitar and vocals and that's understandable because they play the main melodies. The melodies people can sing along and remember. Bass is there to make you dance, guitar/other melody instruments are there to play memorable melodies that you can sing along.

My point is, they are all instruments. None is better than the other.

And IMO, guitar is more fun to play alone. In a band I like playing both, they are different and I can't say which one I like better.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
Oh. My. God. Are you guys serious?

People here are talking like bass is much better and more important than guitar. They are both instruments. You are behaving like the guitarists who think bass is useless. I play both bass and guitar and also trumpet. They are all instruments and have different purposes. Of course bass is needed but so is guitar and trumpet. Let a bassist play alone with a drummer and nobody will listen to it. Why? Because it lacks the melody. It's only groove. That's why you need an instrument that plays the melody, for example trumpet or guitar or piano or whatever. People don't consciously listen to bass but I think bass is there to make the song sound good as well as the other instruments. The purpose of every instrument is to make the song sound good. Not to play the most interesting parts or show your skills. Many people concentrate on guitar and vocals and that's understandable because they play the main melodies. The melodies people can sing along and remember. Bass is there to make you dance, guitar/other melody instruments are there to play memorable melodies that you can sing along.

My point is, they are all instruments. None is better than the other.

And IMO, guitar is more fun to play alone. In a band I like playing both, they are different and I can't say which one I like better.

Not entirely sure what lead you to that conclusion.
Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan
Quote by CJ Noble

There's a few bass players in that category as well, but I really don't want to go down a flame war path.

Why is bass necessary? Because unless you are talking about a Deadhead, no body ever danced to a guitar solo. Enough said.
I think it's because
-Bass equipment is expensive
-It's boring to practice bass alone
-Most people start on guitar and it's a PITA to get all new gear.

Really everyone but guitarists are in short supply when it comes to bands.
Quote by RedMist
I think it's because

I think bass gear has come down a bit in price in the past 10 or so years. Just my observation.
Quote by RedMist

Drum tracks man, drum tracks.
In all honesty though, it is freaking boring as hell
Quote by RedMist
Really everyone but guitarists are in short supply when it comes to bands.

Tell me about it. In all the years I've played bass/guitar I think I've met 2 drummers.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by RedMist
I think it's because

As with guitar, it costs as much as you're willing to spend.

Simply not the case.

-Most people start on guitar

The cause of which is what this thread is discussing.
Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan
Quote by anarkee
There's a few bass players in that category as well, but I really don't want to go down a flame war path.

Why is bass necessary? Because unless you are talking about a Deadhead, no body ever danced to a guitar solo. Enough said.

Yet they were still mosy likely dancing to Phills fat bass grooves. That worth a sig right there haha
Quote by RedMist

I don't get why people think this is true in the slightest.

Bassists are rarer because egotistical guitarists hunt us down, kill us in ritual sacrifice, and drink our blood to try to gain our strength. Because of this poaching, our numbers have dwindled to the point of near extinction, threatening to upset the balance of musical ecosystems everywhere. Therefore I move that bassists should officially be added to endangered species list, sanctions should be put in place to deter poachers, and steps should be taken to rebuild our numbers.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Bass equipment? Expensive? BITCH PLEASE! You can get a new bass for £50 on e-bay.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by CJ Noble

I don't think Cobain is remembered as a good guitar player. He was a good musician that wrote memorable songs. You don't need to be a great player to play great things. And I think Nirvana's music wouldn't sound the same if it was too virtuosic. Songwriting skills are much more important than guitar skills. And I don't think he was a bad guitarist, he was good guitarist for the music he wanted to play. You don't need to be able to play anything else but the music you want to play.

Quote by Ziphoblat

Not entirely sure what lead you to that conclusion.

Sorry about my rant. Some comments made me feel that way (Curt Cobain comments for example).
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
The decline in bass is exponentail.

As there are less dedicated bassists, music is being written to incorperate the bass less, or compansate for the lack of bass. (ie. louder bass drum, lower guitar tunings)

Then due to this less potentail musicians are inspired to play bass, thus perpetuating the cycle.

Bass used to be an integral role in a band, now there are several professional bands that don't have bassists or have a guitarist that plays bass. Its sad really.
Quote by corrda00
The decline in bass is exponentail.

As there are less dedicated bassists, music is being written to incorperate the bass less, or compansate for the lack of bass. (ie. louder bass drum, lower guitar tunings)

But this is all bass. It might not be bass guitar, but it's still bass. A song always needs lower frequencies, how the artist introduces them is up to them. The reality is that most of these bands without a bassist are operating that way because they couldn't find one. That just reinforces the fact that bassists are in demand, not in decline. There'll always be a job for a good bass player, and I don't see what's to complain about there.

Then due to this less potentail musicians are inspired to play bass, thus perpetuating the cycle.

That's not really the case, I think you're over-complicating it. I think it's simply that bass is viewed as a less glamorous instrument because of the way it's perceived by the untrained ear. Melody and lyrics seek to capture the conscious attention of an audience, bass and rhythm create the pulse of a song which appeals more to the sub-conscience (look up music and the reptilian brain). Most people struggle to keep up with what's going on right in front of them, let alone anything with a degree of subtly to it. Hence bass is often an overlooked component to music.

Bass used to be an integral role in a band, now there are several professional bands that don't have bassists or have a guitarist that plays bass. Its sad really.

The vast majority of the initial wave of bass guitar players were relegated guitarists. That was pretty much what the instrument was designed for... upright bassists were few and far between, guitarists, as usual, were everywhere. A guitarist is going to be far more familiar with the feel of an electric bass than an upright. Hell, Noel Redding would be a great example of that.
Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan
Last edited by Ziphoblat at Feb 5, 2013,
Quote by Ziphoblat
But this is all bass. It might not be bass guitar, but it's still bass. A song always needs lower frequencies, how the artist introduces them is up to them. The reality is that most of these bands without a bassist are operating that way because they couldn't find one. That just reinforces the fact that bassists are in demand, not in decline. There'll always be a job for a good bass player, and I don't see what's to complain about there.

That's not really the case, I think you're over-complicating it. I think it's simply that bass is viewed as a less glamorous instrument because of the way it's perceived by the untrained ear. Melody and lyrics seek to capture the conscious attention of an audience, bass and rhythm create the pulse of a song which appeals more to the sub-conscience (look up music and the reptilian brain). Most people struggle to keep up with what's going on right in front of them, let alone anything with a degree of subtly to it. Hence bass is often an overlooked component to music.

The vast majority of the initial wave of bass guitar players were relegated guitarists. That was pretty much what the instrument was designed for... upright bassists were few and far between, guitarists, as usual, were everywhere. A guitarist is going to be far more familiar with the feel of an electric bass than an upright. Hell, Noel Redding would be a great example of that.

True. You don't need bass guitar to play bass parts. For example The Doors. Their keyboardist played the bass parts with his Fender Rhodes Bass keyboard.

And I don't really know many successful bands that don't have bassists. I mean, if you are successful, it should be really easy to find a bassist because everybody wants to be the bassist of your successful band. I think it's more about the band image like White Stripes. They are a drums-guitar duo. That's their image. Some bands just work without a bassist because the parts they play sound good without bass guitar.

I don't really care what parts I play. I can play bass if somebody asks me and I can play guitar if somebody asks me. I enjoy playing in a band, no matter what instrument or how "fun" the parts are to play. I think it's fun if it sounds good.

If you can't find a bassist, maybe ask your friends. It's not really that hard to learn to play. He will improve as you play together. Or then ask a guitar player to play bass for you. A guitarist should be able to play bass guitar easily (if he just wants to play). Good examples of originally guitarists that became famous by playing bass: Noel Redding, Geezer Butler.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by anarkee

I can't name any. Dusty Hill can rip when he wants to. It's just as much about knowing when not to play as it is being able to play complicated songs.
Quote by CJ Noble
I can't name any. Dusty Hill can rip when he wants to. It's just as much about knowing when not to play as it is being able to play complicated songs.

Mark Hoppus. The personification of revered incompetence.
Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan
Les Claypool started on guitar but found more gigs by playing bass.
It's been a long time since I was around the 'garage band' scene but I remember meeting many guitarists, a few drummers and a singer or two. Can't say I ever met a bass player.

And yes, playing bass alone I think can be boring...next campfire whip out your bass and start playing and see what happens. Same for drums too. But get out a 6 string and you're the center of attention.
Page 1 of 2