Page 1 of 9
shredder3386
Lord of the Strings
643 IQ
Wow, this is messed up. The guy had his critics but its a shitty way to go. He probably thought being back on US soil would be safe . Cue more stupid ****ing gun control debates.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/02/03/iraq-war-veteran-charged-with-murder-of-former-navy-seal-american-sniper-author-chris-kyle-on-texas-gun-range/
What gives me wood:

Gibson Les Paul Custom
Ibanez S5470F
Ibanez RGD2127fx
Schecter Hellraiser C-7 FR
Axe FX II
Mackie HD1221
Dreadnought
Oceanic Mountainman
5,267 IQ
Shitty shit. Badass killed by a dumb****.
But we little know until tried how much of the uncontrollable there is in us, urging across glaciers and torrents, and up dangerous heights, let the judgment forbid as it may.
GodofCheesecake
Master of the Machines
1,415 IQ
Should I have already known who he was before today?
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Obsceneairwaves
UG Member
1,001 IQ
Quote by GodofCheesecake
Should I have already known who he was before today?

...This....

It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
TunerAddict
Real Ass Nigga
1,184 IQ
Just desserts.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Trowzaa
TwoWorldWars&OneWorldCup
731 IQ
who?
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Trowzaa
TwoWorldWars&OneWorldCup
731 IQ
okay, so a military sniper was shot and died. okay.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

shredder3386
Lord of the Strings
643 IQ
Quote by Trowzaa
who?

He was the most dangerous sniper in US history. He wrote a book that has been on the best seller list in North America for some time. I assume he isn't well known overseas. Im Canadian, but I still found his story pretty interesting.
What gives me wood:

Gibson Les Paul Custom
Ibanez S5470F
Ibanez RGD2127fx
Axe FX II
Mackie HD1221
Reisgar42
Howyehdoin?
560 IQ
Quote by jetfuel495
I had to read that introductory paragraph three times to figure out what was going on

either i'm tired as shit or that writer sucks at not sucking

Horrible writing, I assure you.

Could be both, but at the very least, the author sucks.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
lolmnt
Earth of the Butt
4,159 IQ
Sounds like a solid guy. R.I.P.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
GodofCheesecake
Master of the Machines
1,415 IQ
Quote by jetfuel495
I had to read that introductory paragraph three times to figure out what was going on

either i'm tired as shit or that writer sucks at not sucking

A 25-year-old Iraq war veteran charged with murdering former Navy SEAL and “American Sniper” author Chris Kyle and his friend turned his semi-automatic handgun onto the pair while they were at a Texas shooting range, authorities said Sunday.

Naw dude, that's some bad journalism.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Obsceneairwaves
UG Member
1,001 IQ
Quote by shredder3386
He was the most dangerous sniper in US history. He wrote a book that has been on the best seller list in North America for some time. I assume he isn't well known overseas. Im Canadian, but I still found his story pretty interesting.

oh...

RIP man, Snipers are cool.
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
snipelfritz
Senior Fun Correspondent
1,563 IQ
Quote by GodofCheesecake
Naw dude, that's some bad journalism.

+1. Does anybody if the author of this article plans on visiting any gun ranges in the near future.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
ErnestoFidel
395 IQ
What world do we live in to honor someone who kills people as a hero?

He who lives by the sword will die by the sword.
This is not a signature
shredder3386
Lord of the Strings
643 IQ
Quote by ErnestoFidel

Fair enough. Although I'd counter with the fact that 99% of video games and movies portray someone who kills people as a hero. Not to mention cops who sometimes have to kill to protect, or just the troops in general who fought so others didn't have to (not even mentioning "new wars." Think about WWI and WWII). If we could all live peacefully and run through flowers that'd be great but sadly we don't live in that world.
What gives me wood:

Gibson Les Paul Custom
Ibanez S5470F
Ibanez RGD2127fx
Axe FX II
Mackie HD1221
ErnestoFidel
395 IQ
Quote by shredder3386
Fair enough. Although I'd counter with the fact that 99% of video games and movies portray someone who kills people as a hero. Not to mention cops who sometimes have to kill to protect, or just the troops in general who fought so others didn't have to (not even mentioning "new wars." Think about WWI and WWII). If we could all live peacefully and run through flowers that'd be great but sadly we don't live in that world.

Wait, are you comparing life to video games and movies?

To be fair, blue-eyed pacifism won't get us anywhere, and I'm not against war generally.

But we often forget one thing: this man did not score "150 kills...holy shit". He took the life of 150 brothers, fathers and sons who fought for no higher or lesser cause than he did.
This is not a signature
pugachev
514 IQ
Spreading Islam and car bombing crowded market places is definitely a lesser cause than his. The insurgents werent good people by any means. They were thugs and murderes, the sickest of any kind. Willing to murder scores of people just because of being apart of a different sect.
Last edited by pugachev at Feb 4, 2013,
shredder3386
Lord of the Strings
643 IQ
Quote by ErnestoFidel
Wait, are you comparing life to video games and movies?

To be fair, blue-eyed pacifism won't get us anywhere, and I'm not against war generally.

But we often forget one thing: this man did not score "150 kills...holy shit". He took the life of 150 brothers, fathers and sons who fought for no higher or lesser cause than he did.

I wasn't comparing video games/movies to real life to show similarities, but rather to illustrate that we live in a world that praises people who kill as heroes which you seemed to find completely unheard of. Obviously you can look at it from the other side, as there are always two sides to every conflict. However if it came between shooting someone who was trying to kill me and my friends and letting him shoot us instead the choice seems pretty obvious. No one is saying the people he killed shouldn't get sympathy.
What gives me wood:

Gibson Les Paul Custom
Ibanez S5470F
Ibanez RGD2127fx
Axe FX II
Mackie HD1221
TooktheAtrain
Banned
184 IQ
Shredder, the question then becomes why would you insert yourself in a position in which you and your friends lives were in danger?

Military service is completely voluntary (at the moment) so the 'kill or be killed' argument falls a bit short.

It would only be relevant if there was conscription.

Furthermore, there are plenty of military roles that consist of making attacks without much risk of being attacked, like drone operators. They are in no immediate danger.

/devil's advocate
Last edited by TooktheAtrain at Feb 4, 2013,
shredder3386
Lord of the Strings
643 IQ
Quote by TooktheAtrain
Shredder, the question then becomes why would you insert yourself in a position in which you and your friends lives were in danger?

Military service is completely voluntary (at the moment) so the 'kill or be killed' argument falls a bit short.

It would only be relevant if there was conscription.

Furthermore, there are plenty of military roles that consist of making attacks without much risk of being attacked, like drone operators. They are in no immediate danger.

/devil's advocate

Agreed,although my example was hypothetical. People's reasons for joining the military may differ. Sure there are people who might join just to see some action, but lots of others join to protect and serve their country. Not to mention with the shitty economy it very well be the only job some people can get. No one wants to be put in a kill or be killed position (cops especially have no control over this) but depending on your line of work it happens. Before the "why doesn't everyone just stop fighting card?" is pulled you can be assured the minute you lay down your arms someone else will take them up. People have to be in those roles, therefore the kill-or-be-killed situation happens whether we agree with it or not.
What gives me wood:

Gibson Les Paul Custom
Ibanez S5470F
Ibanez RGD2127fx
Axe FX II
Mackie HD1221
TooktheAtrain
Banned
184 IQ
Agreed, mostly. However, the conflicts in Afghanistan, Iraq, Vietnam, etc. are not defensive but offensive. They cannot be fairly characterised as necessary to America's survival.

It is true that there are people who are disadvantaged or underprivileged, and join the military for the benefits it offers. However, that doesn't justify their actions in a moral sense. (if we're to say killing is always wrong, an opinion I don't necessarily hold)

On the assumption that killing is wrong, a soldier who has been compelled to enlist by poverty is like a robber who steals jewlery to feed his kids. Understandable? Yes. Excusable? No.

still playing devil's advocate in case anyone gets the wrong idea.
Weaponized
1,756 IQ
Quote by ErnestoFidel

I can see your fedora through the internet
ErnestoFidel
395 IQ
Quote by Weaponized
I can see your fedora through the internet

And I can see your [insert something witty] ...

Damn you for seeing through my hipocrisy!
This is not a signature
shredder3386
Lord of the Strings
643 IQ
Quote by TooktheAtrain
Agreed, mostly. However, the conflicts in Afghanistan, Iraq, Vietnam, etc. are not defensive but offensive. They cannot be fairly characterised as necessary to America's survival.

It is true that there are people who are disadvantaged or underprivileged, and join the military for the benefits it offers. However, that doesn't justify their actions in a moral sense. (if we're to say killing is always wrong, an opinion I don't necessarily hold)

On the assumption that killing is wrong, a soldier who has been compelled to enlist by poverty is like a robber who steals jewlery to feed his kids. Understandable? Yes. Excusable? No.

still playing devil's advocate in case anyone gets the wrong idea.

True, although by equating a robber stealing jewelry to someone joining the military you are suggesting they are morally the same which is untrue. The act of stealing is wrong, whereas the act of enlisting in the military isn't. You cant assume everyone who joins the Military will kill someone because many, many soldiers do not. It can be like any other job. Its just something that has the possibility to happen. Therefore saying its morally inexcusable to want a career in the military sector is unfair.
What gives me wood:

Gibson Les Paul Custom
Ibanez S5470F
Ibanez RGD2127fx
Axe FX II
Mackie HD1221
Gantz92
108 IQ
To survive 4 tours in Iraq only to be killed once you've returned home. By someone he was trying to help nonetheless.
I read American Sniper recently and really liked it. I definitily recommend it to anyone who's interested in warfare.
Lemoninfluence
Masculist
1,223 IQ
so let me get this straight.

He had a weapon to hand, he was trained to be effective with it, and he still got killed?

Obviously he needed more guns.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
JackalUK
979 IQ
It's hard to defend yourself when you're looking the other way.
slash_GNR666
Dan! Dan! Dan! Dan! Dan!
396 IQ
Was it a head shot?
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
Lemoninfluence
Masculist
1,223 IQ
Quote by JackalUK
It's hard to defend yourself when you're looking the other way.

you mean more guns wouldn't have helped?

Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
CoreysMonster
Banned
8,656 IQ
He killed 150 people, yet himself could only be killed once.

For now, at least... *whirls cape and goes into secret basement lab*