I was browsing around the Long-McQuade website and came acrossed this bass
http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/18347/Guitars/Bass_Guitars/Sterling_By_Musicman/S_U_B_Ray4_Electric_Bass_-_Black.htm

I'm thinking either of the 4 or 5 string model (not too sure what I want yet)

I currently play alot of style of music including: metal, metalcore (don't hate) classic rock, hard rock, blues, punk. (I'm in a cover band and originals band and I like all of those genres of music)

I currently have a squire Mike Dirnt signature P-bass (which I put seymour duncans in) a stagg 5 string, and some barracuda bass. My bass amp is a line 6 Lowdown 175.

Would either this bass be either an upgrade or a complete downgrade. Its likely I can get this bass soon or wait 2-3 months and get a Fender blacktop (jazz or p-bass not sure which one I want)

Cheers
Quote by jumpaside

I currently play alot of style of music including: metal, metalcore (don't hate)

Don't worry: you're not on the EG forum now

I don't think it's really up to us whether you get a 4 or 5-string bass. Really, that's something you have to decide for yourself. I don't think it's a "downgrade" from what you've got, but I do think that maybe instead of buying a lot of mediocre basses, you should think about getting fewer, higher quality basses.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Its not the decision between 4 or 5 I'm asking. I got a 5 and that bass cuts out alot (but whenever I show the issue to a guitar shop it doesn't happen for them. Just like in Scooby Doo) Its just the quality of the instrument I'm thinking of. I have never heard of the SUB series. But you are right about thinking of getting a higher quality instrument
The Sterling series are actually pretty good instruments. for <$300CAD I'd get it
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by jumpaside
I have never heard of the SUB series. But you are right about thinking of getting a higher quality instrument

Sterling by Music Man is EBMM's budget line. The SBMM Ray 34/35 and SB14 basses are highly regarded as great mid-priced basses that are about as close as you can get nowadays to an actual Stingray without paying $1000+ for a US made one. The current SUB series (not to be confused with the older SUB series) is the even budget-ier line, designed to be a Stingray-esque bass but in the Squier price range.

You could always save for a Sterling by Music Man Ray 34 or 35 if you want to save for a higher quality bass in the same vein.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
I personally would see what's on the used market. You can find killer deals that way, and stretch your money a lot further.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.