Page 1 of 2
I finished rebuilding my system, time to get onto what everyone's been waiting for. Also, considering I don't have any family emergencies at the moment, I'll actually make a mix and listen to other peoples.

What is it? Just expand the Spoiler:

In the spirit of the New Year, let us enter into a year of new beginnings & try something new in this forum.

So, what is it?

The BWMO is an every other week (as of right now, it may change based on popularity) chance to mix some raw sessions & compare them to your fellow forum members.
You'll be given a link to a session to download, you'll have one week to mix and post it to a streamable source (Soundcloud, Dropbox, Youtube, UG, ect) so we can listen to it.
This way, fellow UGers can give feedback on your mix & we can see who can mix the best.

Why should I participate?

This is just a great way to learn to mix better, learn different techniques & get feedback on your mixing. Also, since we're not mixing the same style all the time, you'll learn to mix different genres of music.

Are there any rules?

There are a few small rules, nothing too major but:

1. Please use a limiter on your mixes, not only will it help your mix but we don't want to listen to a bunch of tracks that keep clipping.
2. No recording extra parts. If you're a professional mix engineer, you're not going to be adding parts to songs.
3. As of right now, there are 3 plugins/virtual instruments (if MIDI drums are needed) that are very frowned upon:
1. EZMix, this is a mixing contest, not a "slap presets everywhere to make it sound mixed" contest.
2. Waves Artist Signature Series Bundles, same reason EZMix is frowned upon (Note: To avoid confusion, its these bundles, not the CLA Classic Compressors or JJP Analog Collection)
3. Steven Slate Drums Chris Lord-Alge Expansion, it just makes mixing drums too easy
4. Have fun. Sure, there is the desire to want to have the best mix but there are no prizes, just internet bragging rights.

Hey, I'd like to submit my session to be mixed, can we do that?

Totally, just send Lockwolf a PM and we can work something out.

Mix on

This first mixoff comes from Chronowarp. I don't have much info on it other than its named Peace By Piece

Original Mix: https://www.box.com/s/4cqnkvhh68peev0nhyw3
Downloadable Stems: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23805264/Peace_by_piece_stems.rar (If too many people complain about it being a .rar, I'll reupload as a .zip, I just didn't realize it till now)

Finish by February 21st to be elegible to be crowned this mixoff's winner! (Seriously this time)

Mix on!
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
What kinds of stems is it?

Guitar and bass are DI or amped?
Drums are real, bounced VST or MIDI?
Ya, the breakdown:
Drums
Kick (Audix D6)
Snare Top (Sm57)
Rack Tom (audix f15?)
Floor Tom (audix f10?)
Mono Overhead (MD421)
Room (Rode NT2A on OMNI)

Guitar
I think it was some Mesa Combo from the 80's...
Sm57 and an audix I5

Bass is DI.

Vocal was with a Rode NT2A and a MD421...I just set them up at the same spot, and intended to audition them, but just ended up using a blend...

This session was a rush job, and I think that's part of the fun of trying to mix it. We tracked 4 songs live off the floor w/9 inputs in about 4 hours, and then overdubbed the vocal takes. So...not the best RAWS, not a lot of time to audition sounds...basically set it and go was the thought process here.
Last edited by chronowarp at Feb 7, 2013,
Wow, this is a fun one to mix drumwise. Just a tip for the next time you record, check your snare mic placement. There is so much bleed from the Hi-Hat & from the Overheads at times that it overpowers the snare. I'm tempted to replace it but I don't want to put so much effort into a mixoff :p

Still, this is a fun track to mix. Its simple yet provides a lot of challenges & interesting ways to mix it. I'm trying some different plugins outside of my usual "Slap an SSL EQ and CLA-2A on everything".
Bpm?
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Snare mic was pointed with the back to the hihat and cymbals. So I'm not sure what I could have done to get less bleed beyond having a polar pattern with more rejection to the sides and back.
My tip would be use more parallel compression on the snare, and think about milking the room and overhead for the snare sound as much as the close mic. A loose gate will get rid of the most of the cymbal wash without raping the snare transient too hard.

BPM- it wasn't recorded to a click. These guys couldn't play to a click AT ALL.
Last edited by chronowarp at Feb 7, 2013,
Oh good.....a good raw rock recording. I'm gonna have a lot of fun with this one.

So glad it's not some shitty metal band with clicky quantized drums and seven trillion guitar tracks, I hate that kind of crap.
It's like mixing-by-numbers with most amateur metal productions - guitar on this side, guitar on this side, loads of click on the kick, gate and compress everything to remove any trace of dynamics, rinse and repeat.
Last edited by kyle62 at Feb 9, 2013,
Quote by kyle62
Oh man, those vocals are a bitch to get under control.

Anyway here's a quick mix: http://rightontime.vilayer.me/music/Peace%20By%20Piece%20-%20Mixdown%201.mp3

Guitar is still a bit muddy and I'm still not happy with the vocals etc, but it'll do for now

Nice dude, loved it.

Vocal sounds good. I don't know what you did, but I compressed that ****er for days myself, just to level it out pretty much completely. This is actually a really good mix. A lot better than mine, I think. The only thing I would say is that it could build or have some more energy. I think if you cooked the room mic a bit more you could get that punch in the drums that'd help with the energy factor. But in terms of balance and clarity...it's there.
Last edited by chronowarp at Feb 10, 2013,
I didn't even see this until I saw someone mention it in the other thread. That's what I get for ignoring stickies I guess.
Im so keen. I dont have acess to my computer for about 48 hours but as soon as i do! Woop woop
So, didn't have much time and since this is my only free day for the next week it's probably the only attempt I'll do.

It's probably still way to messy and chaotic, but I was to lazy to automate the whole Bass and the Vocals, and to really sort out the instruments. Also, I really started to like it, so it probably is fine.

Clicky Clicky me!

Gear:
Ibanez SZ320 -> Höfner Analouge Delay -> MXR GT-OD -> Laney GH50L -> T.C.Electronics GMajor -> Line6 4x12 w/ Celestion G12T-75

My Lyrics and Poems

"with golden hair and perfect eyes,

with hollow words and empty lies."
Quote by OrangeWalls
So, didn't have much time and since this is my only free day for the next week it's probably the only attempt I'll do.

It's probably still way to messy and chaotic, but I was to lazy to automate the whole Bass and the Vocals, and to really sort out the instruments. Also, I really started to like it, so it probably is fine.

Clicky Clicky me!

Jeez, you've really smashed that with the master limiter!

The actual mix sounds really good, fat and balanced, best one so far. But the squashy limiting is killing the dynamics and openness of the track.

What are you using for limiting/maximising by the way?
Last edited by kyle62 at Feb 12, 2013,
Quote by kyle62
Jeez, you've really smashed that with the master limiter!

The actual mix sounds really good, fat and balanced, best one so far. But the squashy limiting is killing the dynamics and openness of the track.

What are you using for limiting/maximising by the way?

What, Dynamics? What's that? Never heard of it, this is rock music.

No you're right, I noticed it as well while listening it back on my phone on my way to work. I guess compressing it three times was one time to much.

For the first two steps I just used the Scarlett Compressor on the Master, however I used heavy compression on pretty much everything but the Guitars and the Room and the Overhead beforehand. I don't recall the exact settings, but I drove the input pretty hard (+6db probably) with a threshold of around -10db with 0ms attack and a release of maybe 10ms? Not sure, I was in a hurry and had to create a second mixdown after noticing the vocals becoming way to loud after compressing. I also used Waves One Knob Louder for more compression, and finalized in logic using a EQ with an slight mid boost at around 800 - 1000hz and limiting the crap out of it with the standard logic compressor. That's pretty much it IIRC.

And thanks to the kind words!
Gear:
Ibanez SZ320 -> Höfner Analouge Delay -> MXR GT-OD -> Laney GH50L -> T.C.Electronics GMajor -> Line6 4x12 w/ Celestion G12T-75

My Lyrics and Poems

Last edited by OrangeWalls at Feb 13, 2013,
Quote by OrangeWalls

Clicky Clicky me!

WOW was about to upload,.. but your is so warm and full Nice Very cool well done !

back to work...

tonights effort ..https://soundcloud.com/joy_4d/peace-by-piece-from-chronowarp
Last edited by T4D at Feb 13, 2013,
Quote by OrangeWalls

Clicky Clicky me!

Pretty fat mix, but yeah, it could do with being a little more open. The delay on the vocal/guitar is a little distracting for me.
Hey guys. Did any of you have trouble downloading the stems? The download doesn't want to finish for me.. My internet is pretty slow..
I tested it when I uploaded it, worked fine for me. Try it again, if it doesn't work, I'll host it somewhere else
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2974259/Peace%20By%20Piece%20.mp3

didn't spend much time on it, but that's what i"ve got.
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by maggot9779
Here's my first mix, the guitars get pretty phasey but it was either that or have a very mono sounding mix.

https://soundcloud.com/maggot9779/peacebypiece

Did you try just panning each guitar mic out to the side?
The 2 mics are relatively 'in phase' with each other, so unless you're like summing them to a bus then duplicating it, you should be cool.
Last edited by chronowarp at Feb 14, 2013,
Quote by chronowarp
Did you try just panning each guitar mic out to the side?
The 2 mics are pretty 'in phase' with each other, so unless you're like summing them to a bus then duplicating it, you should be cool.

Yea, i'm gonna completely redo the mix, not happy with it after a fresh listen.
So, having a little time I gave it another try and damn, this song is so unbelievably fun to mix, it's amazing.

I tried to not kill all dynamics this time, not sure if I succeeded or over tried, kinda missing a little bit of the energy of the first mix.

Clicky Clicky Me

Also: All you guys sound pretty good!

Gear:

My Lyrics and Poems

Quote by OrangeWalls
So, having a little time I gave it another try and damn, this song is so unbelievably fun to mix, it's amazing.

I tried to not kill all dynamics this time, not sure if I succeeded or over tried, kinda missing a little bit of the energy of the first mix.

Clicky Clicky Me

Also: All you guys sound pretty good!

Still seems really squashed to me, there's some pumping too. Also the EQ on the overheads is really grating on me.
I gave this a bash, I'm really new to mixing so people might not like it, with this I basically drained all the dynamic range from it, I didn't intend to, but when I did, it sounded better to my ears than trying to keep dynamics in, so I went with it. I would've really liked to reamp the guitars, but it was a challenge making something decent with only what was provided. Criticism is very much accepted, I'd love to learn more!

https://soundcloud.com/danielcarpentermusic/peace-by-peace-mix
Gear

Mesa Dual Rectifier
TC Electronic Polytune
T Rex MAB Overdrive
Boss NS-2
ESP Horizon NT See Thru Black (D Standard)

Celestial Wish on Youtube
Anyone that's having trouble with the guitars. I can't reiterate enough...really start out by separating the mics and either hard panning or strongly panning them opposite directions. It's going to fill the space so much easier, and it gives a lot more control over the balance the EQ of the guitars.

This isn't a metal song where you need 4 tracks on each side. The bass is much more of a focal point than the guitar, and the vocals even more so. Just let it sit where it wants to sit.
Ok, here's my final mix. The problem with the guitars is, as far as I can tell, it's the same part with different mic, it means you can't really get a good stereo image without it sounding kinda off.

Aside from the timing in some parts and the all over the place vocal volume it was quite fun to work on.

https://soundcloud.com/maggot9779/peacebypiece-1
Page 1 of 2