Hey people,

I've grown a bit out of love with my Keeley BD-2 Blues Driver, and want to replace it with a new, mild overdrive for those creamy bluesy lead tones. This all came from trying out my bandmate's Tubescreamer, which sounds amazing with my new(ish) Cornell Romany (and just about every other amp i've ever tried it on)

The thing is, neither of us have any idea exactly WHAT kind of tubescreamer circuit is inside! He bought it a few years ago from some odd ebay company who basically took what appears to be a genuine vintage tubescreamer shell, and loaded it with a new circuit.
At a guess, it's probably some replica TS-808 circuit, i can try any get photos of the inners tomorrow at our jamming sesh.
(i will hereby refer to it as the TS? as i am lazy!)

Now on to the matter of tone and what i'm going for.
The thing with this TS?, even on full it's only a very light bit of drive, unlike my Keeley, which is very crunchy, good for rhythm, but not those smooth, bluesy, Vaughnabe tones i dream of.
It's also very transparent and smooth, once its on the tone doesn't change much, it just gets more sustain, and pushes through the mix more (as best i can tell in our small band sessions). Basically works on full gain, 0 tones for a bluesy boost, that still sounds clear and not one bit muddy, driving my already dirty amp.
And stacks up beautifully with my assortment of Fuzz pedals.
Does this sound like the tell tale sounds of any old tubescreamer?

I'm handy with a soldering iron, so i can always buy a TS-9 and mod is to clone his.
And of course, there's always arguments over whether a TS-9 sounds any different from a TS-808, or a Maxon etc. Would i be happy with basically anything i try if going for this sound?

I'm pretty busy with work and the like at the moment, so i'm unlikely to be able to get out to any of the half decent local guitar shops, otherwise i'd try his TS? side by side with a range of other drives.
I'm also aiming to not spend much, so second hand around the London area is my goal!

Skip to the end...

To draw a long rambling thread to a close:
any Transparent, smooth, light overdrive recommendations to push a gritty amp.
Do i just buy + mod an banez or maxon tubescreamer?

Gear: several guitars (in my sig) in to a Cornell Romany 10W Champ style amp. Needs to play nice with my assortment of fuzz pedals too.
If anyone knows where one is being sold off/traded, help me hunt them down!

PS. I already know a Klon is probably what i really want, but budgets people :P

Edit: i always make my threads to long...
Lovepedal OD11, Barber LTD SR? It's hard to say. That hardly sounds like a typical tubescreamer.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Ernie Ball Volume Jr
Joyo Sweet Baby OD
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
Line 6 M5
You want blues, get a JTM45 you don't even need a pedal it is that good

Or get a Klon KTR
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I have a G2D Creamtone. it's like a MUCH better tubescreamer (I owned an 808 reissue and a TS9). For a transparent boost, get a Klon clone either from eBay or http://www.rawkworks.com/. He calls his Klone the ''Light OD''. I have one and it is amazing. Works out about £120 shipped, and worth every penny.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Quote by ihartfood
Timmy.

talk to greeny23 (tim), he did a great job on my timmy clone. if you think shipping is prohibitive i spent like $11 on two pedals from australia to the south US.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***"What Trashed Hoards"*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Shit. $11 dollars is nothing... You can pay more than that in the US.

I'll have to hit him up one of these days when it is time for a new pedal.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by R45VT
Shit. $11 dollars is nothing... You can pay more than that in the US.

I'll have to hit him up one of these days when it is time for a new pedal.

yea i was surprised, took almost two weeks though, but no complaining.

i am going to get some other stuff, but i forsee a few new toyroom clones and probably (real) sigma drive.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***"What Trashed Hoards"*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Thanks for all the recomendations, I'll try and get some gutshots at my next jam to see if you guys can identify it!

To those saying new amp, i have NO problem with my amp, it's a boutique, 10 watt, 6L6 driven, champ/deluxe clone, and i LOVE it's tone. The built in attenuater (or some sort of power cut system) lets me get plenty of dirt for my needs and sounds amazing, it's just i want a smooth, bluesy boost to add a bit of smooth sustain.

It's not so much a matter of the postage costs, more the import tax that can really bite me in the arse, although thats mainly from america, is import tax bad from Australia?

I might be able to get a good bit of cash for my Keeley, i have all the paperwork and whatnot. Maybe i should just make myself find the time to get down to a guitar shop and do some comparisons.
Or grab/make a cheap Klon clone...
Or Timmy clone...
Hey guys, just had a chance to dive inside my Mate's tubescreamer, and it appears to be... A TUBESCREAMER! who woulda funk it?

It does however have 'maxon' written on the PCB, and a 4558 chip, i took a picture

Does this look to be a recent 'maxon' reissue in an old tubescreamer case? or s it a pre-maxon vs ibanez feud model?

Apology for the blurry picture...
Last edited by jaybals at Feb 9, 2013,
I googled the chip and the board type and got this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-1981-Ibanez-TS-808-Tube-Screamer-JRC4558D-Maxon-board-/261133929734?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item3ccccb8d06&ssPageName=RSS:B:SHOP:GB:101

"It has the JRC 4558D chip on a MP-D01201B Maxon KU board ."

looks like it's one of the good ones.

EDIT: nevermind, some of the pics didn't load first time. The chip might be different. Don't know what the 3130 on your friend's one or the 1102 on the vintage one signifies.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Last edited by Lemoninfluence at Feb 9, 2013,
Quote by jaybals

It's not so much a matter of the postage costs, more the import tax that can really bite me in the arse, although thats mainly from america, is import tax bad from Australia?

i could be wrong, but i imagine it's the same. it's only really the EU where you don't get hit with duty and VAT (VAT is already charged within the EU), as far as i'm aware.

i agree with what sg4ever said- your description doesn't really sound like a ts, lol. that's not to say it's not a ts and that we're just describing things different ways, of course.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Quote by Dave_Mc
i could be wrong, but i imagine it's the same. it's only really the EU where you don't get hit with duty and VAT (VAT is already charged within the EU), as far as i'm aware.

i agree with what sg4ever said- your description doesn't really sound like a ts, lol. that's not to say it's not a ts and that we're just describing things different ways, of course.

Yeh, maybe that is the case, looking inside, it's definitely a Tubescreamer, any tell on what kind? It appears to be a Maxon-era ibanez, as it says maxon, but still has all the extra circuitry, presumably for the buffer?
and with a 4558 chip and all.

So maybe a pre-2002 TS-9 modded with a reissue 4558 chip?
Any tubescreamer experts out there who can give me an opinion? haha

I'm leaning towards a Maxon OD9 (for the 4558 chip and lack of the infamous buffer which people seem to dislike!?) or bog standard TS-9, then mod?
i honestly have no idea. as you say, it's probably (don't quote me on that) a tubescreamer.

there are loads of tubescreamer clones. including pretty cheap ones from the likes of joyo. that's not to say you should necessarily cheap out if you don't have to... but at the same time there's no point in paying £150+ for a ts808 either if you think the cheap ones sound as good.

if you can, go to a music shop and try a bunch. though you'd really need to try them with your amp, which might be awkward.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Yeh, its not exactly a amp every shop around here will have haha. That said, i'm sure if i can try them out with a Fender Deluxe Reverb and a Champ or something, that might let me cover the main bases

Or i can wing it on a Maxon/Ibanez off ebay

Knew i shoulda bought that modded TS-7 i saw... bare cheap, but no one bought it...
^ yep, as you say, not many places will have cornells, but with any luck a similar-ish fender might be close enough to at least give you some idea.
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman