Page 1 of 2
ibanez2011
527 IQ
hey my moms friend is selling a 67 strat thats pretty road worn, which is awesome but some ass hole routed it for a floyd rose at some point then put a kahler on top of that. It comes with the original case thats in pretty good shape. she said she would sell it to me for 500 (usd). my question is is anyone getting screwed in this deal?

“More metal than your gran’s left hip.” - Paul Allender on his PRS signature guitar
lightningjoe88
1,612 IQ
That sounds like a pretty solid deal to me. Even the case is worth at least a quarter of that.
mmolteratx
UG God
3,786 IQ
You could part it out and sell everything but the body for a decent amount if it's original.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
ibanez2011
527 IQ
ok cool Im gonna jump on it then. lol
“More metal than your gran’s left hip.” - Paul Allender on his PRS signature guitar
ibanez2011
527 IQ
It looks to be all original, would it have came with a 3 way or a 5 way switch? it has a 5 way
JustRooster
Internet Bully
7,164 IQ
The '67 is considered one of those "good years" in Strats. Up there with '56/'57 and '62.

Quote by EyeNon15
Thats too bad, I was under the impression I was arguing something profound

ibanez2011
527 IQ
really? sweet well im not gonna part it out then
gregs1020
Hi mom!
10,786 IQ
damn.

$500 is a screaming deal for that.

the trem is the only modification?

i say you can't buy that fast enough.

Quote by ibanez2011
really? sweet well im not gonna part it out then

no don't part it out.

set it up nice, play the hell out of it.

and post some decent pics dammit.
Quote by Roc8995
I don't think I've ever played anything in black walnut. It's a great ice cream flavor, so I assume it works well for a strat too.

Quote by JustRooster
The slugs in the pickups for telecasters are from old winchester rifles, which is why they sound so country.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Feb 6, 2013,
JustRooster
Internet Bully
7,164 IQ
Yeah, there's a lefty 1967 Strat on Ebay right now for $2,400. I'd say yours in present condition would be like $1,200. The '67 is so popular because Hendrix's Woodstock Strat was a '67, I'm pretty sure. Famous years tend to add more to vintage Strats like that. If I recall correctly, too, Clapton's Brownie he got from Steve Winwood was a 1967 before he switched to Blackie, which was a frankenstien of 3 different 50's Strats.

If you decide you don't like it I'll give you $500 for it

Quote by EyeNon15

Last edited by JustRooster at Feb 6, 2013,
ibanez2011
527 IQ
sorry those are the iPhone pics she sent me haha and from my limited knowledge of vintage strats I would say yeah the bridge is the only modification, the frets seem to be in really good shape so it might have had a fret job at some point
JustRooster
Internet Bully
7,164 IQ
New frets would be a worth it investment. If you swap the bridge I'd recommend a swap for a Fender authorized 2 Screw trem or a Super Vee. They're my favorite third party Strat trem factory.

http://www.super-vee.com/

Quote by EyeNon15

ibanez2011
527 IQ
well under the kahler is routed for a floyd, so will a super vee fit and look ok?
gregs1020
Hi mom!
10,786 IQ
i bet it doesn't suck with the kahler.
Quote by Roc8995
I don't think I've ever played anything in black walnut. It's a great ice cream flavor, so I assume it works well for a strat too.

Quote by JustRooster
The slugs in the pickups for telecasters are from old winchester rifles, which is why they sound so country.
ibanez2011
527 IQ
no the kahler is sweet, it just doesnt look right lol
JustRooster
Internet Bully
7,164 IQ
You do realize this is a Stratocaster and not a Springy Sound, right greg?

Quote by EyeNon15

gregs1020
Hi mom!
10,786 IQ
the kahler gives it a mij vibe.
Quote by Roc8995

Quote by JustRooster
ibanez2011
527 IQ
Quote by gregs1020
the kahler gives it a mij vibe.

yeah haha
KG6_Steven
Eats ponies for breakfast
3,028 IQ
Buy it. My 2012 Vintage Guitar Price Guide lists that guitar at a decent price. Now, realize the Price Guide takes into consideration the guitar has normal wear for a '67 and is in all original condition. This one has some wear and is not 100% original.

If that yellow color is what is considered to be a common color, the price for a guitar in better condition would be anywhere from $11,800 to $14,800. For a rare color, it's anywhere from $14,800 to $27,000. Again, this guitar has some condition issues and originality issues, so the price is going to be down from that. Also, keep in mind that my price guide is from 2012 - I haven't purchased one for 2013 yet and I know the prices slipped a little for the vintage market.

Still... for $500, I'd be all over that. Buy it. Buy it now.
Last edited by KG6_Steven at Feb 6, 2013,
ibanez2011
527 IQ
thanks for all the info guys. I just texted her and told her I want it she said its mine
KG6_Steven
Eats ponies for breakfast
3,028 IQ
Now, don't refinish it, don't paint it and don't repair it. Don't do anything that will alter the value of it. Play it and enjoy it, but don't ruin it. If you decide to sell it, you can probably still get a pretty penny for it. Places like Chicago Music Exchange, California Vintage Guitar and Amp, Gruhn Guitars and others, would probably surprise you with decent offers.

Edit: Even a refret will alter the value of it.
ibanez2011
527 IQ
oh god I would never paint it! this thing looks amazing I love beat up guitars haha and I think you guys miss understood me, I think someone already refreted it, im not going to have it refreted
JustRooster
Internet Bully
7,164 IQ
'67 pickups kinda sucked. Change it to a '57/'62 set and you'll be happy.

Quote by EyeNon15

Mephaphil
No empty frets.
1,956 IQ
That's a great deal.

I would definitely look at making that a restoration project. I'm not too sure about the colour but any mods I would reverse, I'd look at filling the holes that were made when the Kahler was installed and have it as stock as possible.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
2,847 IQ
I'd look into putting an OFR in it if it's routed for one, but I think the Kahler looks far worse than an OFR.
ibanez2011
527 IQ
Quote by W4RP1G
I'd look into putting an OFR in it if it's routed for one, but I think the Kahler looks far worse than an OFR.

yeah I was thinking about that. the kahler is pre 1987 (idk the exact year) do you think thats worth any money? and I'm not gonna restore the guitar or change the pick ups I love how beat up it is and the pick ups are original so I really dont want to seperate those from the rest of the guitar
gregs1020
Hi mom!
10,786 IQ
Quote by ibanez2011
yeah I was thinking about that. the kahler is pre 1987 (idk the exact year) do you think thats worth any money? and I'm not gonna restore the guitar or change the pick ups I love how beat up it is and the pick ups are original so I really dont want to seperate those from the rest of the guitar

dude the less you do to this guitar the better in the long run.

can an original strat trem be put back on normally, using the original holes? <----- answer that.
Quote by Roc8995

Quote by JustRooster
ibanez2011
527 IQ
yes? or do you have to fill the holes and redrill?
gregs1020
Hi mom!
10,786 IQ
Quote by ibanez2011
yes? or do you have to fill the holes and redrill?

you may not have to.

it depends on the condition of the guitar under that kahler.

if the original holes are there and not messed up you may be able to.

if it's been routed and changed such that the holes are gone then maybe not.
Quote by Roc8995

Quote by JustRooster
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?
1,540 IQ
That's pretty good. Obviously, you're not going to get anywhere near as much as you would for an unmolested strat of the same vintage, but I would say even in the worst case it's still probably worth 2-3 times as much as you got it for. Whether you can put a vintage fender trem back on there depends on whether or not the floyd rose was given a sunken rout or not. If not, it'll just be a case of filling in the post holes with a bit of dowel and wood glue then sticking a more in-keeping bridge on there, otherwise it will require a bit more work.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
J_W
65 IQ
The trem looks wrong. Is it set up to not be full floating? No springs? The route doesn't even look like it has enough space.

Either way, the guitar is worth more than you'll be paying for it.
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it
4,127 IQ
Take it to a proper dealer. This is the rule with all pre-1980s guitars. The internet is not the place to sell such things, nor is it the place to get an accurate evaluation.

That said, any modifications lower the value of a guitar. In this case, the modifications are extensive and quite damaging in nature; the condition of the guitar also does not seem to be terribly good. Do not expect this guitar to be worth anywhere near what a stock late-60s Strat is.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
DeathByDestroyr
EDM
953 IQ
Naw the trem makes it even cooler, locking tuners to complete it?

Killer. It's what Hendrix would have wanted for you.
ibanez2011
527 IQ
Quote by J_W
The trem looks wrong. Is it set up to not be full floating? No springs? The route doesn't even look like it has enough space. .

from what I understand a kahler has springs underneath it that dont require as much routing as a floyd.

also the guitar is routed for a recessed floyd so they took out quite a bit of wood. I hope I can go pick it up with in the week so I can post some better pics
JustRooster
Internet Bully
7,164 IQ
Quote by W4RP1G

Gross.

Quote by MrFlibble
Take it to a proper dealer. This is the rule with all pre-1980s guitars. The internet is not the place to sell such things, nor is it the place to get an accurate evaluation.

That said, any modifications lower the value of a guitar. In this case, the modifications are extensive and quite damaging in nature; the condition of the guitar also does not seem to be terribly good. Do not expect this guitar to be worth anywhere near what a stock late-60s Strat is.

He's getting it for $500 with an OHSC. Where else will you find any pre-CBS Strats for that price? I bet the case alone will ebay for $100+. Plus, he likes the feel and the sound. $500 is an absolute steal.

Quote by EyeNon15