So, let me start by saying I've been playing guitar for about....6 years I guess. In that time I've owned two guitars and they're both Epiphone Les Paul standards. I love them to bits but my only gripe is that if you want a comfortable action then you have to put up with an abundance of fret buzz. I'm not sure if that's because they need setting up professionally or not but I do intend to take one to get looked at by a technician though.

Anyway, the point of this thread? I recently got given a Squire Bullet Strat. I took it less than enthusiastically and under the impression it would be terrible to play and sound shit.

To my amazement, it's the best playing guitar I've ever used. It's so easy to play, the frets seem larger which makes bending and vibrato feel sublime, there is almost no fret buzz at all. It also sounds pretty nice! Obviously the electronics and what not a sub par but there is absolutely nothing wrong with the sound and I'm guessing it could be improved with new pups, etc.

Now, I'm under the impression that the bullet is the most basic and cheapest Squire strat so why is it such a nice guitar and why do they get such a bad rep? Am I just lucky that this one is a nice example?

I might have to try an actual Fender strat for a decent comparison.

Edit: if anyone's interested, I could put a picture up I guess.
Last edited by Arctine at Feb 8, 2013,
Quote by Arctine
So, let me start by saying I've been playing guitar for about....6 years I guess. In that time I've owned two guitars and they're both Epiphone Les Paul standards. I love them to bits but my only gripe is that if you want a comfortable action then you have to put up with an abundance of fret buzz. I'm not sure if that's because they need setting up professionally or not but I do intend to take one to get looked at by a technician though.

Anyway, the point of this thread? I recently got given a Squire Bullet Strat. I took it less than enthusiastically and under the impression it would be terrible to play and sound shit.

To my amazement, it's the best playing guitar I've ever used. It's so easy to play, the frets seem larger which makes bending and vibrato feel sublime, there is almost no fret buzz at all. It also sounds pretty nice! Obviously the electronics and what not a sub par but there is absolutely nothing wrong with the sound and I'm guessing it could be improved with new pups, etc.

Now, I'm under the impression that the bullet is the most basic and cheapest Squire strat so why is it such a nice guitar and why do they get such a bad rep? Am I just lucky that this one is a nice example?

I might have to try an actual Fender strat for a decent comparison.

Edit: if anyone's interested, I could put a picture up I guess.

you must have gotten a jem.

or the LP's really realy really need a setup.

IIRC bullets aren't even solid wood, but something like MDF.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***9V BATTERIES ARE FROM HELL!*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I think the Pauls do need setting up but they're not bad at all. My post makes it sound like they're awful but they're not. You just get a bit of buzz when playing in the middle of the neck which has no effect when playing through an amp.
Have you ever played a MiM or Mia?

In any case, sometimes guitars just fit our hands and feel great. I've never felt it on a Squier but u have on an Epiphone.

Get the Epis setup if you haven't already.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

This is only the second strat I've ever played and the first one was some shit tangelwood(?) copy my friend had many years ago and that was abysmal.
maybe you find strats as more up your alley. after 6 years and two epi LPs you find out you like a strat.

i would compare it to a MIM or MIJ or MIA. for the hell of it. i think once you play a MIA you will be spoiled, and want a MIA.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

Haha, I already want an MIA in candy red. I don't have to play one to realise that.

But yeah, I might find somewhere I can try an MIM at least.

I really don't understand his Squire though. It even sustains very well. Did they ever make them out of a decent wood?
Last edited by Arctine at Feb 8, 2013,
Not the bullets, are the pickups stock? You should play the MIA as you might hate it! MIMs can be great too, lots are.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

I think at one time the bullets might have been made out of basswood, or some other inexpensive solid wood.

I would definitely check out a MIM or MIA. You might just look at the bullet a bit differently after that.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Quote by Mephaphil
Not the bullets, are the pickups stock? You should play the MIA as you might hate it! MIMs can be great too, lots are.

i actually just set down my strat i never play it, but i enjoy it when i do. i went through at least a dozen MIM's until the one i have now. $175 used MIM 1995 olympic white, and maple. it just fits me right. i did make money on the other 11 though.

it will stand next to most MIA standards, except the electronics, they are likely better and fit/finish and probably a few less pieces of wood in there.

but i like mine. but i will go MIA at the right time.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

The pickups will probably be stock as it has been bought and never used.

It must be at least 10 years old too if that makes any difference.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i actually just set down my strat i never play it, but i enjoy it when i do. i went through at least a dozen MIM's until the one i have now. $175 used MIM 1995 olympic white, and maple. it just fits me right. i did make money on the other 11 though.

it will stand next to most MIA standards, except the electronics, they are likely better and fit/finish and probably a few less pieces of wood in there.

but i like mine. but i will go MIA at the right time.

My MIA is Olympic White. It plays nice and it's got Lace Golds in it so it sounds great.

I think it's got some buzz around the 12th fret which is annoying but its so minor I can't really put my finger on it. Apart from that it's great. I do believe you can get some amazing MIMs.

Quote by Arctine
The pickups will probably be stock as it has been bought and never used.

It must be at least 10 years old too if that makes any difference.

What amp are you playing through? If it's a Mesa Mark V that could be why it sounds so nice.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Strangely, a 6505 on the rhythm crunch channel with gain rolled back to about 4.

I'll try it through a classic 30 and an orange th30 later.
You're not crazy. Sometimes, a different style of guitar just suits you better no matter what the price. I played an Epi SG for years. Then I played a friend's cheap 25.5" guitar and it blew my mind. I realized that maybe the Gibson style of guitars weren't for me and I never looked back. I still dislike guitars based on Gibson designs. I recommend trying out many other guitars. You might find some that suit you better. But then again, you might just need to get your guitars set up.
I bought a Bullet a couple of weeks ago. Compared to my good mate Stan's MIA, it's definitely inferior, but in saying that it is a very, very nice guitar! I'd happily pay twice the price (I paid NZD$200) for it.

The body used to be made out of an unknown plywood, but as of 2008 they're a solid basswood body. The older ones are heavier which is interesting.

Happy NGD my friend
Ibanez TSA30 < Boss OS-2 < Custom Frankenstein Strat w/ scalloped board and Epi LP pickup
Almost any guitar can feel great to play with a good setup.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
While I have never been confused with the quality of a Squier vs a MIA, I saw a video the other day where the Andertons people were doing a blindfold test with a Squier CV Tele, MiM Tele, MIA Tele and a Custom Shop Tele.

The two guys both got the Custom Shop and Squier CV mixed up . I think they judged it on weight and they weren't allowed to touch the hardware, just the neck. A flawed test but funny.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Seems youre a Strat man. The contours and comfort cuts. Scale length. Some guitars just suit an individual. I would love to be into LPs, but they just dont do it for me.
Quote by Mephaphil
While I have never been confused with the quality of a Squier vs a MIA, I saw a video the other day where the Andertons people were doing a blindfold test with a Squier CV Tele, MiM Tele, MIA Tele and a Custom Shop Tele.

The two guys both got the Custom Shop and Squier CV mixed up . I think they judged it on weight and they weren't allowed to touch the hardware, just the neck. A flawed test but funny.

I watched the same video last night! Honestly, and we've covered this a lot here, there are occasionally very inexpensive guitars that end up playing wonderfully. I've got a MIM Tele Deluxe that plays as well as some of the MIA Tele's I've played. Granted, it had undergone a great setup and had a fret job done, but even at that cost, it still saved hundreds of dollars in the long run.

There are some gems out there, perhaps few and far between.
Still, can't say I've encountered a Bullet that played well. Guess I need to look harder!
Quote by Alucard817
I think at one time the bullets might have been made out of basswood, or some other inexpensive solid wood.

The Bullets have been, and still are, made out of Basswood. At no point were they made out of MDF or particle board. The only Squier that wasn't made out of hardwood were Korean Squier IIs, which were made out of plywood in the late 80s/early 90s.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Last edited by kangaxxter at Feb 8, 2013,
Quote by kangaxxter
The Bullets have been, and still are, made out of Basswood. At no point were they made out of MDF or particle board. The only Squier that wasn't made out of hardwood were Korean Squier IIs, which were made out of plywood in the late 80s/early 90s.

Third post down. Shows the plys
http://www.tdpri.com/forum/other-guitars-other-instruments/319726-ngd-squier-bullet.html
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
** didnt you said that the epiphone only buzz when unplugged and doesnt buzz form the amp .??? well it can be normal to have buzz when playing a guitar unplugged , if it doesnt buzz from the amp ... then its not fret buzz , its only that your action is low .

higher end guitar have better fret job usually so your less likely to have fret buzz when playing low action from a 2000 $ than a 200 $ ... the hardware quaity ( nut , bridge , tailpiece etc .. help a lot also .

the les paul vs strat are 2 different guitar . the scale , the bridge , the feeling of the guitar are so different that you cant say one is better than another , my first guitar was a strat hss u.s ... i always thought i was stratocaster .. i couldnt play with les paul style guitar turn out after having a les paul for 8 month .. it feel way better than a strat for my small hands . i love the 24,7 scale , the bridge position . so ill ended up selling my strat , i just doent like 25.5 scale ans strat style guitar anymore .

** last point :; guitar is personal .. if it feels right for you than it doesnt matter how expensive it is . i found the holy grail of guitar with a 599 $ Agile les paul copy . this guitar was built perfect for me .i havent tried a guitar that felt more right to me than this guitar .

we could talk and argue for day about the craftmanship and quality of a guitar .. if you 200 $ guitar feels and sound right to you .. than stick with it .

but usually .. higher end guitar blow away any cheaper , low end guitar .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Setup is going to have a huge effect on the feel of the guitar, as has been stated. Many low and low-mid line guitars have fret issues right out of the box, and can benefit greatly from a proper fret level and crown. I have only ever bought two new guitars, and both of these suffered from horrible fret buzz at anything close to an acceptably low action. One was stolen before I could do anything to help it, the other I own to this day, and with some fret work and a pickup swap she plays and sounds great.

I own guitars that walk all over the traditional Strat and LP lines, such as a TOM equipped 25.5" scale neck-thru and a bolt-on 24.75" scale FR equipped example. I can honestly say that I have never found a night/day difference in feel going from one type to the other, and that the biggest difference that I have found in feel from one guitar to the next is almost unerringly in the setup.
The thing is, you can never go wrong with a Tele. Its been the same design since it first came. It is arguably one of the greatest guitars ever made, so even 'cheap' versions are still pretty cool.

I think everyone needs at least one Tele whether its from fender or rondo. There is also the x-factor, that not all wood was created equally and not all guitars are built equally. You can try several of the exact same guitar models at GC, and some will feel better than others.

I have tried the Fender Standard, Mexi Standard and the Classic Vibe side by side comparison. If you look at the American one, its obvious its made of better parts and looking at its specs its also obvious, but as far as how good it feels in your hands and how good it sounds isn't always as obvious. I mean if you try and do a blind fold test, I bet I couldn't even tell you a solid answer...well I probably could tell the difference between american and not, but I couldn't tell the difference in Mexican or Squier, unless its by its weight.

One guitar isn't going to make you a better player than another guitar, it might make you feel cooler. I have a hypothetical bar that has a minimum, and once above it, I feel your not better off with one or the other, unless of course your gigging or recording etc.. But there is also you experience factor, 6 years isn't always the same 6 years, and LP Standards aren't the most amazing.

For someone like you, I would say go all the way and get something worth your while.
Yeah... I've been needing a fat strat all my life.

I just buy what comes my way. I'm a shitty person like that.