thekingofhorror
143 IQ
I've only been playing guitar for about three weeks or so now but, I love it already. Sadly I only know four chords. I don't want to give myself too much to learn. Anyway what are some good songs that have the G D C and EM.

Some I found are as follows.

The Cranberries - Zombie

Lana del rey - Never Let Me Go

Sum41 - Pieces

Linkin Park - Numb

Jason Marsden - I'm Yours

Pearl Jam - Last Kiss

Sublime - What I Got (Without the breakdown)

Thanks!
Last edited by thekingofhorror at Feb 9, 2013,
patticake
Acoustic Goddess
2,886 IQ
you can play a lot of songs in the key of G using G, D and C if you don't mind transposing - like half the pop and folks songs from the 60s to the 80s and a fair amount of pop songs from all time. a lot less songs would additionally use Em.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
GaryBillington
Last of a Dyin' Breed
1,309 IQ
Quote by patticake
you can play a lot of songs in the key of G using G, D and C if you don't mind transposing - like half the pop and folks songs from the 60s to the 80s and a fair amount of pop songs from all time. a lot less songs would additionally use Em.

This.

and Every Rose Has It's Thorn.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm > TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H

My SoundCloud
thekingofhorror
143 IQ
Quote by GaryBillington
This.

and Every Rose Has It's Thorn.

I would have never thought that was an easy song. Thank you.
dkunick
Waco
138 IQ
Nutshell Alice in Chains is close
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Slash Goldtop Les Paul
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
stepchildusmc
413 IQ
as long as we're on ALice in Chains..."dont follow" is only D and G. its picked but a really simple pattern.
Captaincranky
288 IQ
Neil Young/ Linda Ronstadt, "Love is a Rose".

If you're willing to learn Am, (Which is real similar to C major), you get Bruce Springsteen, "The River". His "Cadillac Ranch" already is G, C, & D.

Quote by patticake
You're 100% absolutely correct......(wait for it).....But, can you sing it in G?

To G, or not to G, that is the question....
...... ................ argh....
Fly-By-Night
UG's Minnesotan
1,035 IQ
Aeroplane Over The Sea- Neutral Milk Hotel

And almost every Avett Brothers song ever...

Realistically there are WAY too many to list
dkunick
Waco
138 IQ
Add A and B chords and you'll have every AC/DC tune.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Slash Goldtop Les Paul
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
thekingofhorror
143 IQ
Quote by dkunick
Add A and B chords and you'll have every AC/DC tune.

I plan to learn A and B a little later lol. Thanks for all the song suggestions everyone.
Knackworst1
1,070 IQ
Wagon wheel - Old crow medicine show (capo on the 2nd fret)
thekingofhorror
143 IQ
Quote by Captaincranky
Neil Young/ Linda Ronstadt, "Love is a Rose".

If you're willing to learn Am, (Which is real similar to C major), you get Bruce Springsteen, "The River". His "Cadillac Ranch" already is G, C, & D.

You're 100% absolutely correct......(wait for it).....But, can you sing it in G?

Am seems easy but, not just yet. I'm not sure what my octave is currently but, I can hit the high note of Creep by Radiohead. Lol does that answer your question?

Obviously, I'm super new to this sorry.
Gingerlocks
Dreadhead
1,928 IQ
I think Redemption song is with those chords, but with Am as well? Give it a go?
Captaincranky
288 IQ
Quote by patticake
Quote by Captaincranky

Quote by thekingofhorror
Am seems easy but, not just yet. I'm not sure what my octave is currently but, I can hit the high note of Creep by Radiohead. Lol does that answer your question?

Obviously, I'm super new to this sorry.
As you can see from the above exchange my statement wasn't really directed to you. Nor was the "you" intended as a personal pronoun. "The "royal you", (which means "anyone"), was intended.

I'll rephrase. Yes any song can be transposed to the key of G, but every vocalist may not be able sing it in G.

As far as "Radiohead's" material goes, I'm so old I wouldn't know a Radiohead song if you smacked me in the headphones with it.

If you would like to know you singing classification and range, your best bet is to get with a voice coach, which could be a school glee club director, a choir director, a choir member, etc.

"Reverse engineering every thing you play to G major", is only going to work to a certain degree as you attempt to move forward with guitar. After a certain point, it's going to hold you back.

G major is indeed the easiest key to master on the guitar. However, there are seven tones in the scale, and there is a chord that harmonizes with each and every one.

The G major scale and the 7 basic chords related to it: G (G major, A (A minor), B (B minor), C (C major), D (D major or D7), E (E minor), F# (F# diminished).

The most often used chords in G major are: G, Am, C, D, Em. So you need to learn Am, and all you have to do to get that, is move 1 finger from C major.

But, I'm going to give you the best G, D, C three chord ever written anyway!

"I Fought the Law", by the "Bobby Fuller Four" (Supposedly Buddy Holly's backup band "The Crickets", recording under another name). (The Clash did it also, but in either D or A, not sure).

Anyway, the key on the record is Ab major, but they're using a capo on the first fret and playing in G.

(Wait til you hear the rhythm pattern, great fun)!
Last edited by Captaincranky at Feb 10, 2013,
adele95
60 IQ
If you like lana del rey... I just posted a pretty simple tab for the song pawn shop blues you might like!
DaysofGrace
THE Rhythm Guitarist
1,817 IQ
You could play an all-chord (e.g. No fingerpicking) version of "Broken" by Seether. I believe it just goes Em-C-Em-C-Em-C-D-D for the verses and C-Em-D for the chorus.
"This nightmare's gonna break me.
Please, Daylight, save me..."
tuxs
25 IQ
I think with three weeks playing you will have little understanding.

Try this: Go to guitar tabs on this site and type in a song you are learning. On the left hand side of the page there's a Transpose button. Transpose the song to G and sing along, Then transpose to A, Keep transposing until you can sing and cover the whole song comfortably. This will be the key you sing in. Now go learn your songs in this key. Just remember when you play with someone else they may sing in a different key. After awhile you will learn how to transpose in your head. Now go learn some good Rock. Cheers
Captaincranky
288 IQ
Well Tuxs, it's officially been a month since this thread was started.

Personally I hope that our TS has soldiered out of his comfort zone, into the wild frontier of learning a 5th chord (*), A minor.

(*) Numerical value of chords known, not a "5", or "power chord".
Last edited by Captaincranky at Mar 9, 2013,
LWMT2343
214 IQ
anything by green day LOL
not dissing green day just its quite true haha
goodluck with the guitar
get a tutor

oh and axis of awesome four chord song is pretty cool transpose it though
they do it in the key of e
Last edited by LWMT2343 at Mar 10, 2013,
StuartBahn
122 IQ
Brow Eyed Girl by Van Morrison
London Calling by The Clash (though they are bar chords on the recording)
Professional Guitarist and Guitar Educator
www.StuartBahn.com
Join my mailing list to receive a on creating an effective practice regime.
Captaincranky
288 IQ
Quote by StuartBahn
Brow Eyed Girl by Van Morrison
Possibly at least a tie for the "best I, IV, V chord song ever". Although, Morrison does cheat by adding the vi...
StuartBahn
122 IQ
Quote by Captaincranky
Possibly at least a tie for the "best I, IV, V chord song ever". Although, Morrison does cheat by adding the vi...

It's stil a dance floor filler regardless of ages. What a home run from Van!
Professional Guitarist and Guitar Educator
www.StuartBahn.com
Join my mailing list to receive a on creating an effective practice regime.
Captaincranky
288 IQ
Quote by StuartBahn
It's stil a dance floor filler regardless of ages. What a home run from Van!
As a song for strumming, the melodies offer an almost endless possibilities for rhythmic experimentation. You can't play it wrong, you can only have a good performance of it, or a great one!

After playing it, the question really becomes, "now what the hell am I going to play for an encore"....?

Always a great song, and I've known it for more than four decades.
Aerynn
36 IQ
Time of Your Life (Good Riddance)- Greenday You can turn that one into strumming or fingerpick it, or use a pick as is done in the original. It's nice for working on your fingerpicking and is just the chords you mentioned.
3am- Matchbox20 (The original has a capo on the first fret, i imagine for making it easier for him to sing to, but it really doesn't sound far off to play it without the capo, and you may be able to sing it that way)
I Remember You- Skid Row
Home- Daughtry
Sweet Child of Mine- Guns n Roses
Patience- Guns n Roses

I'm pretty sure those all fit the requirements. I may have forgotten an extra chord in one or two of them, but they're primarily G-C-D songs that can be played on acoustic. Good luck!
wearjo
21 IQ
I like making compilations of songs
The current one I'm doing has:
Price tag
Perfect
Jar of hearts
Little things
We are never ever getting back together
U + ur hand
Love story
Baby

I'm gonna add a few more songs including I'm yours

Hope I helped
1500 meanstreak
604 IQ
Live Forever by Oasis has an Am in there too but I'd bet you're able to play it no problem.
Check out "thelastplaceyoulook" on YouTube, iTunes and [url="http://facebook.com/thelastplaceyoulook
"]Facebook
Captaincranky
288 IQ
Quote by wearjo
We are never ever getting back together
Pretty much the same thing could be said for the rest of Ms. Swift's offerings.

The trouble would be keying them for a male singer, not to mention the fact the majority of her material would simply be topically inappropriate.
Mr.Pink101
Ribbed for her pleasure
1,508 IQ
Superman - Five for Fighting
Man In The Mirror - MJ
Let it Be - The Beatles
Under The Bridge - RHCP
Glycerine - Bush

etc. It's pretty standard
Music is an art form that celebrates potential. So long as you're looking for it, you'll always find it.