I need to know if one can safely change the headstock angle by simulating the headstock failing and then make a new one to the angle you want.
...you mean by breaking the headstck? and then making a new one...well i guess you could but you risk breaking the neck beyond repair by doing that it would be easier and alot safer to just cut it
Ok so what I mean is take it to a scroll saw and then where the headstock starts at the back of the neck at a 30 degree angle and then making a new headstock.

My plan : I am building a flying and I have a strat style neck and I hate the headstock so I'm trying to know if I can make a new angled headstock where the previous straight headstock was.
Ye should be grand, but 30° is a really sharp angle for a headstock, 14° is a little more common. Just do a scarf joint. Since it's a Strat-style neck, you shouldn't really have any problems.
Quote by rageahol
Ye should be grand, but 30° is a really sharp angle for a headstock, 14° is a little more common. Just do a scarf joint. Since it's a Strat-style neck, you shouldn't really have any problems.

What I mean is where the cut is at is 15 degrees
but the headstock be 14 degrees, making sense yet?
Last edited by DESTROYER5000 at Feb 9, 2013,
Quote by DESTROYER5000
What I mean is where the cut is at is 15 degrees
but the headstock be 14 degrees, making sense yet?

You mean that the angle on the joint is 15° at this point?

like that?
The less of an angle you have, the more resistant to breakage when dropped it will be. You can get away with a very small angle, like 10° or even 8°.

And you can use a volute as well. A volute is more wood at the truss rod access channel, which is where the breakage is most likely to occur. Also, you can stop your truss rod route before it gets to the end, and then just drill a hole from the headstock into the channel for access(the Fender way). That will decrease the amount of material removed for truss rod access.
Quote by MG_Sora
You mean that the angle on the joint is 15° at this point?

like that?

Like the no2 diagram.