Page 1 of 2
MarkGraves98
122 IQ
Hey guys i am gonna start of by saying i am new to this forum i am a 14 yyear old guitarist drummer vocalist and producer and thats about all you need to know! anyway i am just writting a song and its coming up for the solo but i aint sure what notes to use because i mainly play in D tuning but in C (CGCFAD) so it would be really useful if someone could help me with where to solo around ! Thanks
Junior#1
Is SouTaicho Yamamoto-san
238 IQ
Depends on the key of the song. And 'where' to solo doesn't really make any sense at all. The notes for all scales and keys are found throughout the fretboard, so you can solo anywhere on the fretboard one you learn the key, the notes of the scale, and the notes of the fretboard.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
MarkGraves98
122 IQ
Say if i am in C which i am would i play the C natural minor scale starting on the 8th fret and playing same as i would in standard? sorry my theory aint that good
GoldenGuitar
Organiser of Sound
291 IQ
Quote by MarkGraves98
Say if i am in C which i am would i play the C natural minor scale starting on the 8th fret and playing same as i would in standard? sorry my theory aint that good

Sorry mate, but that doesn't make any sense. I can't follow your line of logic at all.
TheHydra
421 IQ
Quote by MarkGraves98

No. If you're in C standard, then C on the 6th string is at the 12th fret. You would be playing an A minor scale if you started at the 8th like that.
Last edited by TheHydra at Feb 10, 2013,
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd
468 IQ
Quote by MarkGraves98

If you are in the Key of C then playing the notes in that key is the safest bet. Do you know what those notes are?

The C on the lowest 3 strings in Drop C are the 6th and 4th strings open, the 12th fret on the 6th and 4th strings, and on the 5th and 17th frets of the 5th string. If you know the notes of the scale and how the alphabet works then you can find the rest on the fretboard.
Hail
i'm a mean bully
431 IQ
Quote by MarkGraves98
Hey guys i am gonna start of by saying i am new to this forum i am a 14 yyear old guitarist drummer vocalist and producer and thats about all you need to know!

Quote by theogonia777
Hail killed MT

Quote by jongtr
I want to be Hail when I grow up.
MarkGraves98
122 IQ
Thanks guys my actual guitar playing is up to grade 8 says my teacher but my theory not so much
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
3,409 IQ
Are all of the instruments in the same tuning? I mean, do you have a guitar playing in the background? Which chords does it play? It really doesn't matter in which tuning you are, the fingerings are the same. Play as if you were in standard. Use your ears and don't just play random melodies. You should really hear if you are playing the wrong notes.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Yamaha FG720S-12
Tokai TB48
Laney VC30
Hartke HyDrive 210c
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man
722 IQ
Quote by Hail

You have the best gifs!

Yeah, TS. You're the fucking best.
Last edited by mdc at Feb 10, 2013,
MarkGraves98
122 IQ
Quote by Morphogenesis26
Guitarist, Drummer, Vocalist, and Producer...

I want to hear some of TS's stuff.

What so bad about it?
Angusman60
I think, therefore, I am.
987 IQ
Come ya'll. Give the kid a break.

If all of your instruments are in the same tuning (C standard), you would start the C natural minor from from 12 on the 6th string, or, fret 7 on the 5th string.
2010 Gibson SG Honeyburst
I'm a musician, a composer, and a theory nut. Pleased to meet you! Check out my websites and drop me a line.

"The essence of all beautiful art, all great art, is gratitude. " ~ Freidrich Nietzche

My Website
MarkGraves98
122 IQ
Quote by Angusman60

If all of your instruments are in the same tuning (C standard), you would start the C natural minor from from 12 on the 6th string, or, fret 7 on the 5th string.

Thanks dude i will put a link on when ive finished the song thanks
food1010
Bassist
1,660 IQ
Quote by Angusman60

If all of your instruments are in the same tuning (C standard), you would start the C natural minor from from 12 on the 6th string, or, fret 5 on the 5th string.
Fixed. He's in drop C, not C standard.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Angusman60
I think, therefore, I am.
987 IQ
^^ My bad. I didn't read close enough. Thanks for the correction.
2010 Gibson SG Honeyburst
I'm a musician, a composer, and a theory nut. Pleased to meet you! Check out my websites and drop me a line.

"The essence of all beautiful art, all great art, is gratitude. " ~ Freidrich Nietzche

My Website
Jehannum
Bant
2,440 IQ
If you're really grade 8 with that level of understanding you must be a prodigy of some sort. If you learn a little theory you'll be unstoppable!
dannydawiz
Danny Gomez
3,503 IQ
so it would be really useful if someone could help me with where to solo around ! Thanks l

This should be simple. You're playing in drop C tuning in which the whole purpose is to take advantage of the low C string. I am going to assume that you're into metal. Metal likes minor.

Step 1 - Play in C Minor
Step 2 - Learn the SOUND of the minor scales.
Step 3 - Listen
Step 4 - Play
Step 5 ???
Step 6 - Results

Music doesn't sound different to our ears compared to yours. It should be obvious whether it's the note choices that sounds like crap or it's just your playing.

You must have both achieve mastery in both in order to sound audible.
6 Years In
4 Years To Go
MarkGraves98
122 IQ
Quote by :-D

how exactly do you label yourself a "producer" when you cannot hit notes on your guitar and decide whether or not they sound good

I produce songs i put music together on programing software not every producer knows theory.
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
3,409 IQ
Quote by MarkGraves98
I produce songs i put music together on programing software not every producer knows theory.

Yeah, but you should know what sounds good. That doesn't need theory, that needs ears. If a note sounds out of place, don't play it.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Yamaha FG720S-12
Tokai TB48
Laney VC30
Hartke HyDrive 210c
GoldenGuitar
Organiser of Sound
291 IQ
Quote by MarkGraves98

But then that makes most, if not all of us 'producers'. However that's not how it works, people who are actually producers work very hard for long time to learn and hone their craft.
Last edited by GoldenGuitar at Feb 12, 2013,
MarkGraves98
122 IQ
ok sorry if my first post was misleading what i ment was instead of going into a studio and record tracks i record them in my bedroom lol
i could really do with some opinions for the first two songs but not sure if i can post link on here yet
ProphetToJables
Tight Tight Tight
1,529 IQ
I don't think you are any of those things, being in drop C doesn't mean your song is necessarily in C, it's whatever the key of the song is.
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
MarkGraves98
122 IQ
Quote by ProphetToJables
I don't think you are any of those things, being in drop C doesn't mean your song is necessarily in C, it's whatever the key of the song is.

any of what things?
ProphetToJables
Tight Tight Tight
1,529 IQ
Guitarist, drummer, vocalist, producer. Not to offend, but you called drop C, D but in C. You can't really call yourself a drummer if you program your drums...
Gear:

Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
MarkGraves98
122 IQ
Quote by ProphetToJables
Guitarist, drummer, vocalist, producer. Not to offend, but you called drop C, D but in C. You can't really call yourself a drummer if you program your drums...

? i do play drums but i aint good enough to play that kind of beat yet
and when did i call C, D?
MarkGraves98
122 IQ
Quote by MarkGraves98
? i do play drums but i aint good enough to play that kind of beat yet
and when did i call C, D?

ahhhh i know what you meen by that no i was on about a different track when i was talking about C
ProphetToJables
Tight Tight Tight
1,529 IQ
Quote by MarkGraves98
i mainly play in D tuning but in C (CGCFAD)

That's drop C.
Gear:

Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Last edited by ProphetToJables at Feb 12, 2013,
MarkGraves98
122 IQ
Quote by MarkGraves98
i mainly play in D tuning but in C (CGCFAD) QUOTE]

No i ment i mainly play in D but felt like a change so i did a song in C
ProphetToJables
Tight Tight Tight
1,529 IQ
you did a song in the tuning CGCFAD?
Gear:

Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
MarkGraves98
122 IQ
Quote by ProphetToJables
you did a song in the tuning CGCFAD?

Yes i was basicly saying all my other songs are in D but the one i am working on now is in C therefore i didnt know much about what scales to use sorry for the confusion
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man
722 IQ
Quote by MarkGraves98
heres my second song my singing aint great but i am more of a screamo guy also i programmed the drums cos i couldnt play the beats lol

https://soundcloud.com/mark-sevenfold-howells/until-the-end

That's really cool, dude!
Hail
i'm a mean bully
431 IQ
oh my god hahahahhaahhahaha this sounds like motionless in white playing a gig in the star wars trash compactor hahahahhahhahhha
Quote by theogonia777
Hail killed MT

Quote by jongtr
I want to be Hail when I grow up.
ProphetToJables
Tight Tight Tight
1,529 IQ
So you're writing a song with a tuning of CGCFAD? And you want to know were to solo, correct?
Gear:

Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
MarkGraves98
122 IQ
Quote by ProphetToJables
So you're writing a song with a tuning of CGCFAD? And you want to know were to solo, correct?

Yes but now i know
MarkGraves98
122 IQ
Quote by Hail
oh my god hahahahhaahhahaha this sounds like motionless in white playing a gig in the star wars trash compactor hahahahhahhahhha

whatever