Page 1 of 3
Hey guys I have decided to put all my stuff in one place rather then creating a new build thread for each guitar since I have a bunch of cool projects in the works. Just trying to avoid cluttering up the forum.

Unfortunately I had an accident with the blue seven string I was building and have decided to start over and make it even better. I will be building this alongside a 6 sting Vik duality based guitar which I'm pretty excited about. Here's some pics of the lumber going into those

7 string's Lumber

top, nicely figured curly maple

Fretboard (Number 1)

Duality's Lumber

top (before surfacing) quilted maple

Template

Rosewood neck, Black limba body, zircote FB
Two other builds I have also been working on. The one with the laminated body is particularly special to me because it is being built for my dad. It will include a 58 piece inlay on the back of his snake tattoo that he got in memory of his own father.

sappelli body with curly maple cross laminations!

Korina body with myrtle wood top and Padauk FB

I have made humbucker bobbins out of padauk as well but I guess I forgot to get a picture. I wouldn't mind some opinions on this, should I use the wood bobbins to have orange humbuckers that match the fretboard or with that be two much? Also I'm thinking black hardware but am open to other suggestions. Id love to hear your thoughts!
best thread ever. I love your builds
“More metal than your gran’s left hip.” - Paul Allender on his PRS signature guitar
I've become a big fan of your work, based on what I've seen in GB&C
looks good, but im not sure how i feel about a VIK build.

i just don't think hes a big enough company to warrant someone else using his designs, which are freaking amazing, and all credit should go to him for it. i have even taken style cues from him that i implement in other ways in my builds.

however,

I would feel pretty ripped of myself if a builder made their own Empress instead of getting me to build one for them to whatever specs they wanted.

Vik is probably a better guy than me tho, so if hes cool with it...
The Vik is a customer request and since he's not calling it his design I think it's cool in the end.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7421
Ibanez SA160
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Randall RM100
Madison Divinity II
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
H&K 4x12
my only point is, if he wants a vik.. get a vik.

its what i tell customers who come to me and say they want a gibson or a fender.

im like "ok.. ill come with you and help pick one out?"

unless they want something that they specifically can't get outside of custom built, theres no need for them to get it from me, nor should they.

anyways, i don't want to get into it much, these are just my thoughts, i figured id share my concern.
Since the Vik inspired guitar is for me, I figured I'd chime in on the subject.

First off, it's not like Tyler is selling the design as his nor is he counterfeiting anything. There will be a Robbins logo and decal on the guitar, and credit is being given where it's due. The guitar is not going to be a 100% copy, headstock design is different.

Second, ViK's waitlist is closed and there's no way to get on it at the moment (I'll own a Vik one day though). Tyler has been a stand up guy while building my original 7 string that unfortunately suffered an accident and is now being rebuilt. The experience in dealing with Tyler throughout the build and the accommodations he has offered were above and beyond my experience with any other luthier to date (and this includes some well known names and brands). Because of the great experience, I asked Tyler if he would build me a 6 string as well. I personally wanted it based based off a Vik guitar, but with some changes (e.g. the headstock) because I thought it'd be wrong to make an exact replica. I don't think there is anything wrong with styling a guitar after another one as long as it's acknowledged that it is different (e.g. not creating a fake logo and declaring it as an original)...how many different companies do you see building similar single cut designs or RG styled guitars?

What it boils down to is this: I want a guitar built by Tyler. I also like the styling on Vik's guitars, so I asked Tyler to build a similarly styled guitar. I am not trying to pass the guitar off as a Vik, and when people see the guitar, I will explicitly say that its a Vik inspired Robbins' guitar. Credit will be given where due.
Last edited by arkohors at May 10, 2013,
Regarding the Duality shape, I will only say that this is a one-off build that I am doing for a friend. I have no intention to build any more as I want to establish and be know for my own designs, specifically my acoustic guitars. I made no claim to this shape and gave credit to its creator by stating it was based on his model. If this bothers people let me know I will withhold pics of this particular build as I do not wish to cause problems.

That being said here's some more progress

Bookmatched one-piece maple bobbins for a set of custom buckers

Paduak bobbins (white streaks are grainfiller and will be much more subtle when the finish is applied) still looking for opinions on whether to use these on the Myrtle wood build

Sanded to 220, still a little rough

Joined quilted top

Seven string reboot lumber(ceder, black locust, curly maple, Munn ebony)
I say leave the paduak bobbins with the grain filler visible, they look beautiful as they are.
Blinded by the exertions of man
I stumble through the haze of modern malfunctions

Dropping myself into darkness
God they look sexy.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7421
Ibanez SA160
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Randall RM100
Madison Divinity II
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
H&K 4x12
Dear god your stuff is awesome man! Keep it up!
The Rig of Joy:
Stiff Amplification Dirthead 20w
Bugera 2x12 Cab
Fender Partscaster Korean Made
Epiphone Prophecy
Washburn Southern Cross 34 of 100
Ibanez TS9,AD9,GCB95, Multi Chorus and TU2
Carve Around The Apple!!!!! That Is The Coolest Wood Mistake Ever.
Life is about taking risks, as long as the risks aren't too risky.
I modified my the jig I use to clean up a fret board's radius.

A problem I had was sanding to low on the corners because the sanding block was able to dip off the edge of the board at the ends. This resulted in alot more work to get everything level and perfect. Now I have added a rail which its the final height of the fretboards edge. This acts as a fence and wont let the sanding block go down farther then I want it to. I do trim the sand paper so that wood of the sanding block will hit the rails without cuting them

The top rail is moveable so you can adjust it for different length boards using the hold down clamp. This keeps it nice and snug while you sand.

Cut the string threw holes

necks have been cut
These are looking drop dead gorgeous, love the hand carving. Did you use just the little chisel for everything?
I used that chisel, a bastard file, a DA, and rubber spindles from my occulating sander with 80grit on them. Its not the quickest way but it works. I cant imagine doing such in depth carving by hand for every build, vik must have a quicker way to do it or an unlimited supply of patience.
Also, i just figured out what you meant in a previous build thread about your mdf hack for routing the neck pocket, and may i say its quite genius. I'm totally stealing it for the next build i do.
Quote by Kyleisthename

Thats crazy, but now that I have sat back and thought about it, its not so bad. yeah it takes awhile but the results you can get from it are beautiful.

Figured out the colors for the seven and duality based guitar on some scrap wood

seven- version of a lagoon burst, blue to natural burst

duality- red/pink to violet burst
I was worried about getting the carve in the quilted maple perfectly smooth because of the grain pattern sanding at different speeds and coming out bumpy. I checked out my dads body work supplies and found he had some stiff durablock foam/rubber sanding blocks. He was nice enough to let me use them for a bit and I gotta say they worked great! The tops are dead flat and the carves are as smooth as can be. I was sad to have to return the blocks so I went on amazon a found a 7 peice set for about $34. This may or may not seem expensive to you but after testing them I think its worth the price. They will last a very long time (my dad has had the same set for years even though hes working and sanding multiple cars/parts daily).

This is the only set I found at this price, the others are $45 and up for the same blocks. Theres 17 left in stock so if youre interested check it out soon!

http://www.amazon.com/Dura-Block-Af44a-Dura-Block-Kit/dp/B003978QGQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1363962959&sr=8-4&keywords=durablock
These things are looking ridiculously professional. You're doing a sick job.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7421
Ibanez SA160
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Randall RM100
Madison Divinity II
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
H&K 4x12
Thanks dude!^

I just found these cutter heads while looking into wood engraving stuff. If any one does really intricate inlays but dosnt want to pay twenty bucks per bit from stew mac, this sight has a set of 10 very tiny bits for $15. I have not tried them as of yet but I think I will due to how inexpensive they are. Stewmacs smallest bit is 1/32nd (.8mm) while this set includes .7mm and .6mm so you can get even more detailed cuts. Hopefully this can save some one a few bucks!
http://www.profitablehobbiesstore.com/larger-cutters-3/32/square-cross-cut-bur-set-3/32/
i dunno, burrs arent exactly designed for removing material. they more are just supposed to grab leftover bits of metal shavings still attached to a previously milled piece, and then fling them off.

you may get a lot of fuzz, broken bits and maybe burning if you try to mill too much with these.

for 15 bucks tho, it wont hurt.

but carbide downcut bits are where its at.
The main draw to these thing for me was the size. I'm trying to get more intricate/exact with inlays and some times the 1/32nd is just too big. I'm hoping they will be able to handle cutting thin lines and cleaning up points so I can do more accurate lettering or stuff like this

I'll giv'em a shot and let you guys know how they do
Page 1 of 3