DESTROYER5000
Banned
835 IQ
Does anyone here think that a non angled back gibson Flying V headstock would look good?

Opinions and alternative shapes are welcome.

And please, no trolling or just being a dick in general.
manikmunky
89 IQ
There are plenty of shapes out there that work nicely on a Flying-V, and plenty of "non-standard" and/or custom shapes that work well.

Personally I think that the following work with a V shape:

The more angular and sharp shapes will work better with a more modern V shape that also has sharp edges. For a more traditional V shape, like number 37, my personal choice would be 23. But it really depends on what look you're going for
Last edited by manikmunky at Feb 11, 2013,
DESTROYER5000
Banned
835 IQ
I love the 19 headstock but my only problem is that I can't angle it back.
manikmunky
89 IQ
Quote by DESTROYER5000
I love the 19 headstock but my only problem is that I can't angle it back.

Aaaand I completely mis-read your first post. Oops.

I don't see why it wouldn't look fine without being angled back
T00DEEPBLUE
Boba FRETT
2,245 IQ
I don't really think it'll look very good dude. If you offset the headstock face with the rest of the neck (like a Fender neck), it would look pretty ugly.
Regarding the furry fandom from the man himself:
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?
1,540 IQ
I think the headstock angle is one of the important parts of the flying-v design. if you want to build guitars, learning to do a scarf-joint is a good skill.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
DESTROYER5000
Banned
835 IQ
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I don't really think it'll look very good dude. If you offset the headstock face with the rest of the neck (like a Fender neck), it would look pretty ugly.

No I mean that I'm going to make the headstock a square blank and then do it that way it's not off set.
DESTROYER5000
Banned
835 IQ
When I do the scarf joint and drill the peg holes would the tuners make the joint stronger because they tighten down like a bolt?
T00DEEPBLUE
Boba FRETT
2,245 IQ
Quote by DESTROYER5000
No I mean that I'm going to make the headstock a square blank and then do it that way it's not off set.

So how are you going to stop the strings from jumping out of the nut? String trees are going to look hideous on a V.
Quote by DESTROYER5000
When I do the scarf joint and drill the peg holes would the tuners make the joint stronger because they tighten down like a bolt?

No.
Quote by Axelfox
von Layzonfon
UG's Grammar Stickler
1,214 IQ
Quote by eddiehimself
I think the headstock angle is one of the important parts of the flying-v design.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
String trees are going to look hideous on a V.
While I'm having a hard time understanding how you're going about this, I'm here to offer a different opinion from the above. I don't see why a flat headstock with string trees is going to look terribly awful just because you're using shape 19 instead of 14 or 15.
T00DEEPBLUE
Boba FRETT
2,245 IQ
Quote by von Layzonfon
While I'm having a hard time understanding how you're going about this, I'm here to offer a different opinion from the above. I don't see why a flat headstock with string trees is going to look terribly awful just because you're using shape 19 instead of 14 or 15.

It's just my opinion.
Quote by Axelfox
von Layzonfon
UG's Grammar Stickler
1,214 IQ
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
It's just my opinion.
I know that. I respect both yours and eddie's opinions, mine happens to be different in this case. Opinions were asked for and have been supplied. No harm, no foul.

To be fair, if the TS is going to hack off the current 'stock and graft on a new one with a scarf joint then it may as well be angled. But I keep re-reading his posts and I'm still not sure what he's up to. I was rather concerned that he thought the the peg holes would be anywhere near the scarf joint.
DESTROYER5000
Banned
835 IQ
Ok here is my plan cut headstock down to a shape that is able to have pieces glued on to make it a square, then I will cut my final shape and paint it.
DESTROYER5000
Banned
835 IQ
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
So how are you going to stop the strings from jumping out of the nut? String trees are going to look hideous on a V.

No.

String retainer bar thing.

And why would it not make it stronger? It would be like clamping it down.
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
2,847 IQ
Quote by DESTROYER5000
String retainer bar thing.

And why would it not make it stronger? It would be like clamping it down.

I agree, a string retainer bar would look ok.

I don't quite get what you're saying about the tuners reinforcing the scarf joint. The scarf joint doesn't need reinforcement, it's already reinforced with the glue in it. The weakest point in your headstock is going to be the short grain at the truss rod, where the angle begins.
DESTROYER5000
Banned
835 IQ
Quote by W4RP1G
I agree, a string retainer bar would look ok.

I don't quite get what you're saying about the tuners reinforcing the scarf joint. The scarf joint doesn't need reinforcement, it's already reinforced with the glue in it. The weakest point in your headstock is going to be the short grain at the truss rod, where the angle begins.

Diagram please? I mean that when the tuners holes get re drilled and the tuners put in would it be like running a bolt through it? Also I plan for the scarf joint to half of the head stock length.
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
2,847 IQ
This is a Gibson neck, cut in half. That spot where the wood is only 1/4" thick is the weakest point.

And I don't know if just adding bolts and washers to something makes it stronger, I'm not an engineer, but I do know that you're talking about reinforcing something that doesn't need to be reinforced. In other words, don't worry about it.
DESTROYER5000
Banned
835 IQ
Quote by W4RP1G
This is a Gibson neck, cut in half. That spot where the wood is only 1/4" thick is the weakest point.

And I don't know if just adding bolts and washers to something makes it stronger, I'm not an engineer, but I do know that you're talking about reinforcing something that doesn't need to be reinforced. In other words, don't worry about it.

Ok thanks, I decided not to angle it though so alls good.
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?
1,540 IQ
Quote by W4RP1G

Well I am an engineer (nearly) and I will tell you that you can only reinforce a structure with bolts if they're actually bolted at the joint, although I don't think you need an engineer to tell you that. You don't even need to do that with a scarf joint; the glue is plenty strong enough on its own.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
von Layzonfon
UG's Grammar Stickler
1,214 IQ
Quote by eddiehimself
Well I am an engineer (nearly) and I will tell you that you can only reinforce a structure with bolts if they're actually bolted at the joint, although I don't think you need an engineer to tell you that. You don't even need to do that with a scarf joint; the glue is plenty strong enough on its own.
I have a degree in engineering and I concur. However, at this juncture it sounds more like he's going to be splicing on a new piece like this...

...in which case the machine heads will clamp the joint a little. But the glue would be stronger anyway.
Droste
288 IQ
Quote by W4RP1G

That's why I prefer a ESP neck. They made a little bulge there so you have more wood.
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
2,847 IQ
Quote by eddiehimself

Well, I was referring to adding bolts and washers to make the wood itself stronger, not the joint. I agree, the glue should be plenty more than adequate for a scarf joint.
DESTROYER5000
Banned
835 IQ
Quote by von Layzonfon
Pictures, or it didn't happen.

I have not started yet but I will post sometime next month
DESTROYER5000
Banned
835 IQ
Quote by von Layzonfon
I have a degree in engineering and I concur. However, at this juncture it sounds more like he's going to be splicing on a new piece like this...

...in which case the machine heads will clamp the joint a little. But the glue would be stronger anyway.

Finally!, somebody understands what I mean.
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
2,847 IQ
Quote by DESTROYER5000
Finally!, somebody understands what I mean.

I understood what you meant, I was just saying that it's unnecessary because the glue joint will be strong enough.