Page 3 of 4
Quote by primusfan
i thought he was a decent pope. not well-liked, but that's not really his job. john paul II i think deserves the brunt of the pedophilia blame really. but most people have cast more blame on benedict for some reason. probably because he's a lot less "likeable."

i'll miss him. he tried to restore a lot of tradition to the catholic church. and even though his detractors will say they forced his hand or it was too little too late, he did say condoms could be considered morally permissible depending on the circumstances amongst other things.

and, well, i'll just paste this stuff from thinkprogress:

anyway, i think he was a good pope in that he championed some progressive causes (obviously he's not going to suddenly become pro-choice or anything) while also trying to bring back the traditions of the catholic church, most notably the tridentine mass. i know it's not a popular opinion though. not really going to bother arguing with anyone. i'm sure they have valid enough reasons for disliking him too.

Yes, progressive causes. Perhaps the new pope will drag the Catholic Church, kicking and screaming, up to the 19th century this time. Perhaps the blatant homophobia, misogyny, and public protection of pedophiles will come to an end. I'm not holding my breath though. Nothing really to feel proud or even to commend a line of old men dressing up in robes and funny hats acting deep and commanding a good portion of the world to do and believe batshit insane ideas. The same applies to Islamic clerics in the Middle-East. It's just simply ridiculous. It's like congratulating a 30 year-old adult somehow still in high school after they've passed a spelling test.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
Pfft, he didn't even have the balls to push through his illness and die in office.

pussy.

Lol this, everyone knows hardly anyone wants to be pope because you become it to die while in office. It's like the most glamorous rest home ever

Quote by Obsceneairwaves
No way vote father ted!

;__;
Quote by Zaphikh
Yes, progressive causes. Perhaps the new pope will drag the Catholic Church, kicking and screaming, up to the 19th century this time. Perhaps the blatant homophobia, misogyny, and public protection of pedophiles will come to an end. I'm not holding my breath though. Nothing really to feel proud or even to commend a line of old men dressing up in robes and funny hats acting deep and commanding a good portion of the world to do and believe batshit insane ideas. The same applies to Islamic clerics in the Middle-East. It's just simply ridiculous. It's like congratulating a 30 year-old adult somehow still in high school after they've passed a spelling test.

Did you get raped by a priest or have you always been this pleasant?
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by bradulator
Did you get raped by a priest or have you always been this pleasant?

Are you trying to be defensive and coy about the Catholic Church's homophobia, misogyny, and child abuse history? If so, you're a sick fuck without any ability to empathize or care for those who have been neglected and abused. You need a good traumatic event to shake your life up a bit. Give you a reality check.
Quote by Zaphikh
Are you trying to be defensive and coy about the Catholic Church's homophobia, misogyny, and child abuse history? If so, you're a sick fuck without any ability to empathize or care for those who have been neglected and abused. You need a good traumatic event to shake your life up a bit. Give you a reality check.

you certainly are nice people.
Quote by Zaphikh

Yeah, mate, tone it down a bit, it's gonna be alright.
Quote by Jearl
you certainly are nice people.

Like I give two shits about pleasing timid folks.
Quote by willT08
Yeah, mate, tone it down a bit, it's gonna be alright.

I don't think it's unreasonable to show massive disdain for an organisation which has pursued policies that have directly and indirectly contributed to massive epidemics, discrimination/persecution and child abuse.

As far as 'things to get worked up about' go, death, discrimination, and child rape are close to the top.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Plus they don't seem to want Women to serve in the church or want a more modern church. ^
Quote by Zaphikh

“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by Zaphikh

___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by Lemoninfluence
I don't think it's unreasonable to show massive disdain for an organisation which has pursued policies that have directly and indirectly contributed to massive epidemics, discrimination/persecution and child abuse.

As far as 'things to get worked up about' go, death, discrimination, and child rape are close to the top.

Wishing traumatic events on random posters is not showing any disdain for the Pope or the Catholic church.
I'm heating a ham and cheese hot pocket right now. It's pretty good, but I burned my tongue a little bit on the initial bite. Thankfully I had a glass of cold milk standing by.
Check out my band Disturbed
Neil deGrasse Tyson for Pope anyone?

Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
Quote by StewieSwan
I'm heating a ham and cheese hot pocket right now. It's pretty good, but I burned my tongue a little bit on the initial bite. Thankfully I had a glass of cold milk standing by.

Man, I don't eat Hot Pockets anymore because of that. They get unbelievably, searingly hot.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
I thought this pope was supposed to be the antichrist to mark the beginning of the end of days. How anticlimatic.

Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

Meh, I assumed he was leaving because he was tired of protecting pedophiles from their crimes.
I understand him.

I would leave my job too if my boss never showed up...
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Quote by willT08
Wishing traumatic events on random posters is not showing any disdain for the Pope or the Catholic church.

His original post didn't deserve the suggestion that he'd been raped by a priest as a child either. To respond to a justified anger with the church with that is just as insensitive, if not moreso, because it undermines the seriousness of the offences.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Why does everyone claim he protected paedophiles, he was a driving force in convincing JPII to have the Vatican search out child molesting priests and turning them into the police as well as forcing them out the church. In fact there were cases and he was told he couldn't pursue certain individuals while he was cardinal, yet as soon as he was made pope he made sure some form of justice was delivered. In all I don't think he was a bad guy himself, he just tried to save a sinking ship.
**** the pope and all that he represents.
Some have friends....

... others have guitars....

Hey, it's uhh... 4:20....

Thought you'd like to know is all.

I am not here to make you laugh, I'm here to make you horny.
Quote by Crillz
Why does everyone claim he protected paedophiles, he was a driving force in convincing JPII to have the Vatican search out child molesting priests and turning them into the police as well as forcing them out the church. In fact there were cases and he was told he couldn't pursue certain individuals while he was cardinal, yet as soon as he was made pope he made sure some form of justice was delivered. In all I don't think he was a bad guy himself, he just tried to save a sinking ship.

Has he opened up the Vatican's vast coffers in order to compensate the victims? No, in fact, he's allowed money to be hidden from governments looking for compensation and instead turned the bill over to the taxpayers his criminal organisation victimised.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Has he opened up the Vatican's vast coffers in order to compensate the victims? No, in fact, he's allowed money to be hidden from governments looking for compensation and instead turned the bill over to the taxpayers his criminal organisation victimised.

In what part of this do you offer any statement that he is protecting paedophiles though. I know I'm quoting you, but I'm not really disagreeing with you - you have seen some of his faults and think he's a bad guy, understandable. But he hasn't protected any of the, let's face it, scum that abuse their position of trust within the community

EDIT
and as to threatening excommunication to those talking to the police, that's just not true - in fact that's what happened to him in certain cases while he was a cardinal
Last edited by Crillz at Feb 13, 2013,
Quote by Crillz
In what part of this do you offer any statement that he is protecting paedophiles though. I know I'm quoting you, but I'm not really disagreeing with you - you have seen some of his faults and think he's a bad guy, understandable. But he hasn't protected any of the, let's face it, scum that abuse their position of trust within the community

He is the head of an organisation that has systematically defended paedophiles. He was an integral and important part of that machinery while it was going on, and he never said a word, nor did he do what any decent human being would do and immediately leave the organisation when it came to public light.
Since then he has insulted the victims in Ireland by banging on about Canon Law, when the issue has absolutely nothing to do with Canon law and his refusal to acknowledge that shows how cloaked in the secrecy of his criminal empire he is.

Any other organisation, if engaged in Child Rape on such a disgusting and shocking scale, would have found itself immediately disbanded, its assets seized, and a large number of its members given lengthy jail sentences. The only reason this hasn't happened to the Church is that it exists in a legal vacuum created through a deal made with a Fascist Dictator in exchange for allowing him support.

If the Pope actually cared about victims, then he would immediately compensate them out of the vast and incalculable wealth of the Vatican, instead he rapes the victims again by refusing to apologise for years, and then failing to follow his words with actions. "I'm sorry" means nothing, true repentance comes through actions.

Detailing Ratzinger's involvement with a coverup is obviously a tall order for any journalist, who would have to get detailed information out of one of the most secretive organisations on the planet, however his actions as Pope have displayed a disgusting callousness towards the victims of Child Sex Abuse that his organisation created; whether he was personally involved or not is not important.

He is a worthless individual, and his organisation is worse than that, it is a force for evil in the world and an affront to the teachings of Jesus Christ.

and as to threatening excommunication to those talking to the police, that's just not true - in fact that's what happened to him in certain cases while he was a cardinal

Nope, it's quite true. The Vatican refuses to comment on it as it's "not a public document" but that is essentially what he did.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2005/apr/24/children.childprotection
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t
his organisation is worse than that, it is a force for evil in the world and an affront to the teachings of Jesus Christ.

With all due respect, the Catholic church never really followed the teachings of Jesus Christ. Yes, it said the right things, but it never did the right things.