Page 2 of 3
Quote by bifteksupernova
joe bonamassa is pretty cool

Where's Zoot when you need a good laugh?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
I find blues to be an excuse for people that play guitar poorly.
Coming from one who listens to shitty black metal.

You know the more you post, the more you look like the most pretentious, arrogant user on the site. I'd argue some of your posts in the past have contained higher concentration of pretentiousness than the typical guitar-ego kids you find at Guitar Center.

On topic: I grew up listening to SRV and Kenny Wayne Sheppard, but there's no argument that their music is really just beginner level, over-hashed blues. Same with Joe Bonnamassa: fun to listen to, really nothing more than your average 18 year old shredder.

I didn't enjoy Albert King at first, but the closer I listen to it I find he has a capability to apply subtlety in his soloing that no one else has. He's like Gilmour: plays nothing technical, nothing musically complex, but it's just the timing and contourment to the rhythm section that gives it so much power.

B.B. King's also the same way, but I've never been a fan of his music, at least from what I've listened to. I snagged an old vinyl of his for $4.00 the last week that I haven't listened to yet. Might do so tonight.

Plus Jimmie Vaughn, SRV's brother. He's often overlooked, but really has a totally different playing style. People often look past him because they're expecting the same style as SRV, which is not the case at all. This man has much different intentions, similar to those of Albert King.

I'll mention more when they come to mind...
Last edited by Ian_the_fox at Feb 11, 2013,
Quote by beefcake122
Mashed Potato Johnson

Holy shit, i totally got that reference XD
Dethklok all the way.
John Mayer is brilliant, shame he's drifted away from the bluesy stuff on recent records.

/flameshield
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Sounds generic as hell, but I always enjoy BB King, Buddy Guy, and Albert King. And most rock interpretations of blues.

And though David Gilmour doesn't play straight blues, his melodies are often inspired by them. And since he's my favorite guitarist, he gets a mention at least.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
R.L. Burnside.

Junior Kimbrough.

Blind Willie McTell.

Sonny Boy Williamson.

Leadbelly.

Skip James.

BB is the worst King.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Last edited by stratman_13 at Feb 12, 2013,
Muddy Waters, Gatemouth Moore, Jack White (ya, I said it), do AC/DC and ZZ Top count?

Whomever wrote Red House

Edit: forgot about Junior Kimbrough, he's a bad mess son of a biscuit eater!
Last edited by lucky1978 at Feb 12, 2013,
Quote by lucky1978
Jack White can play the shit out of some Delta blues.

FTFY.

And I said it in my last post but I'm gonna say it again.

BB King is overrated.

Freddie blows him completely out of the water, and Albert was just badass.
--

--
I don't think he's overrated. I'd agree that he's overplayed.

Love Albert King though, he's definitely not played enough.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Quote by TOMMYB22
John Mayer is brilliant, shame he's drifted away from the bluesy stuff on recent records.

/flameshield

I agree. When JM isn't being a dink and actually plays the blues he is pretty good.

I saw B.B. King live a couple years ago. His music goes right through you. Powerful stuff.
Play Loud! Play Fast! Play Raw!
Quote by Adam808
I agree. When JM isn't being a dink and actually plays the blues he is pretty good.

I saw B.B. King live a couple years ago. His music goes right through you. Powerful stuff.

Yea. I went to Crossroads Festival in 2010, and he was there at the very end. One of the best days of my life.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

John Mayer is actually a massive troll as far as the music world goes.

John Mayer Trio all day long though. Steve Jordan is a goddamn monster.

And Pino Palladino is just Pino Palladino. Groovy as ****.
--

--
there's no such thing as a 'great bluesman', it's a ridiculously easy genre to play. babby's first pentatonic shapes.
The blues are relatively easy to play. What makes blues challenging is when you can keep it interesting and meaningful.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Quote by eGraham
The blues are relatively easy to play. What makes blues challenging is when you can keep it interesting and meaningful.

u wot m4(2)
meh, I don't fall into trolling so easily lol. I've been doing it myself for far too long.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

I think what separates a great blues player from an average are the feelings and emotions that come out through the playing.

Some of the all time greatest legends really felt what they were playing. When you see SRV do his warrior scream and head into a solo, just watch his face and you can really feel it. And when B.B. King closes his eyes and solos, you know he is lost in his own world.

Blues is a music genre built on emotion, thats what makes it special to me.
Play Loud! Play Fast! Play Raw!
Quote by TooktheAtrain
wat

*three boring honkies playing elevator muzak*

cool video, but i don't see how that's relevant to what i posted???
Quote by due 07
cool video, but i don't see how that's relevant to what i posted???

It's a blues, he's not just using pentatonics, so...
Quote by TooktheAtrain
It's a blues, he's not just using pentatonics, so...

good for him, i'm very proud.
I absolutely love blues dancing to this song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyf4W_ByNmo
The blues started out as dance music and was influenced by work songs, so harmonic complexity and such wasn't the focus of the music.

This song doesn't even have the 12 bar blues chord changes but it's still awesome. So y'all learn how to blues dance and gain a new appreciation for music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVIA1n5ng4Y
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Last edited by rockingamer2 at Feb 12, 2013,
After I heard Eddie Hazel's Maggot Brain, every other blues jam seemed trite to me. That one directly connects to my heart for some reason. I've been working on a tribute for months and it never feels right. No one can ever top it as far as I'm concerned. John Frusciante did a tribute on one of his records, it's okay, but it doesn't have the same power.

Quote by due 07
there's no such thing as a 'great bluesman', it's a ridiculously easy genre to play. babby's first pentatonic shapes.

Well aren't we just the hippest guy in cool town.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Last edited by Jack Off Jill at Feb 12, 2013,
I'm a fan of the regular old hobo blues. John Lee Hurt, especially.

Also Gary Moore.
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
Also Sonny Sharrock even though he's mostly a jazz player.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
The people who think blues is an 'easy' or boring genre, probably all think they could all give it a good go, and I bet they would all fucking suck at it
It doesnt get any more blue than the Blue Man Group
How do you make a signature? Is this a signature? Sig?.... Nature?..... Sigmund Freud?...... Nature Valley?.... Sigmund Fraud?..... Frankie Valli?.... ah, $!*@ it...
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
OT:
SRV
Yes x 1000000000.
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: This jazz piano music playing over the PA like wow for once it's good stuff they're playing

What if blue cheese is just regular cheese but it's accelerating towards you really fast?