Page 4 of 12
Quote by BladeSlinger
Your card shop is killing themselves. Most people use Star City Games as a standard for price since they organize a lot of national events. Every card store I've ever been to uses them as a price standard. I wish your store was around here. I'd sell my foil Reckoner for $60 then turn around and buy another for $35 at a SCG based store. I could almost get two.

Yea. I haven't been in about two weeks though. So, it may have changed. The prices i have are based off of last time i was there.
The foil peaked at $40. The regular peaked at $35 so they were still high. I guess they just like foils. Usually foils are double the price until they get in to the higher price range, then it gets weird. Some aren't double and some are more than double.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Well they also recently came across some money when a dude actually came in and bought a legit Ancestral Recall.
Wait, people really pay upwards of $50 for a card? Why? Looking at its numbers and effect, I can't figure out what makes that card worth that much...
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 46-49
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Quote by necrosis1193
Wait, people really pay upwards of $50 for a card? Why? Looking at its numbers and effect, I can't figure out what makes that card worth that much...

it's worth so much because it was only released in the very first 3 magic expansions. That's why Black Lotus is over 2000 dollars.
Quote by necrosis1193

I've only seen a few cards get to $50 and they stay that way for all of three weeks. Boros Reckoner skyrocketed because they changed the definition of life link. There's now in infinite life combo in standard with Reckoner. You can't have infinite life technically so I could make up a random number and that's what I get, and I still get to deal damage to my opponent. With Reckoner that can happen turn 4.

When people are really in to the game and play tournaments, that $40 card isn't too big of a deal when you can win prizes worth more. I usually buy a lot at the beginning of a block then use those cards to trade for more. I got my foil Reckoner when it was at $13 then they changed life link and it went up.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Brotherbrodude
it's worth so much because it was only released in the very first 3 magic expansions. That's why Black Lotus is over 2000 dollars.

Quote by BladeSlinger
I've only seen a few cards get to $50 and they stay that way for all of three weeks. Boros Reckoner skyrocketed because they changed the definition of life link. There's now in infinite life combo in standard with Reckoner. You can't have infinite life technically so I could make up a random number and that's what I get, and I still get to deal damage to my opponent. With Reckoner that can happen turn 4.

When people are really in to the game and play tournaments, that $40 card isn't too big of a deal when you can win prizes worth more. I usually buy a lot at the beginning of a block then use those cards to trade for more. I got my foil Reckoner when it was at $13 then they changed life link and it went up.

Alright, that makes a lot more sense. ...Kinda. I'm still getting back into the game, even in competitive tournaments, paying that much for one card still seems strange to me.

Quote by necrosis1193
Alright, that makes a lot more sense. ...Kinda. I'm still getting back into the game, even in competitive tournaments, paying that much for one card still seems strange to me.

Same here, man. I'm a casual player. I'd love a fourth Reckoner but I'm just not paying that for a card. I buy packs because it's fun. I get stuff I need on occasion or things I can trade.

Past four booster packs I've pulled two or three mythics and they were all worth like three dollars each. I always pull cheap mythics.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Magic: the gathering is almost as bad as anime.
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
Quote by BladeSlinger
Same here, man. I'm a casual player. I'd love a fourth Reckoner but I'm just not paying that for a card. I buy packs because it's fun. I get stuff I need on occasion or things I can trade.

Past four booster packs I've pulled two or three mythics and they were all worth like three dollars each. I always pull cheap mythics.

The cheap mythics are the best though! You can get away with buying a bunch for pocket change, and build a quality deck from them. Unless you're collecting, who cares if it's not holo? Although considering all three of my decks contain a foil, it's kind of hypocritical for me to say that.

For example, one of my favorite mythics I have came from a Gatecrash booster pack. Enter the Infinite, basically lets you play your entire deck, mana permitting. Cancels next turn's draw phase so your mana can recover, too. If you can find a spell or creature effect that lets you use creatures as mana, you can effectively play every single card in your entire deck at once and destroy your opponent. And it's only $2 if it's nonfoil!

I really want to play more often. I've been busy every single time that group I found on campus has been meeting, so my new deck has yet to be used.

Quote by Carnivean
Magic: the gathering is almost as bad as anime.

And anime is almost as bad as Rahim Moore.

Edit: Now that I look at this photo again, what the hell is #32 doing? He's just standing there watching when he's in the field of play, he should be hauling ass to try and save the game.

I started Magic a few weeks ago, and I'm really enjoying it. Every tuesday is magic night, and we have from 4-5 up to 10 people that show up for a few games. Currently trying to build a decent green/blue deck for teamplay.
I bought a fat pack and 3 boosters at comic-con this past weekend for 45 dollars. I feel like I got a pretty good deal.

Also, my buddies Relentless Rats deck is ****ing bullshit.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Quote by IMABBALLPLAYER
I ****ing hate playing against that card.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Magic is p cool, I'd play more if the majority of people IRL who I knew who liked it weren't annoying as shit and if I had more money to drop
Quote by IMABBALLPLAYER
I bought a fat pack and 3 boosters at comic-con this past weekend for 45 dollars. I feel like I got a pretty good deal.

Well, considering I could go down to Wal Mart and pick up a fat pack for like..43 and three boosters for another 17 or so, yeah...great deal.
Quote by IMABBALLPLAYER

And I thought my Myr deck was cheap as shit...
i love this thread
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by _KurtCobain_77
I ****ing hate playing against that card.

Try playing against it when his entire battlefield is just 8 rats. If you don't have flying a lot of blockers you're ****ed.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Quote by IMABBALLPLAYER
Try playing against it when his entire battlefield is just 8 rats. If you don't have flying a lot of blockers you're ****ed.

Or wrath effects, those work well too.
I pride myself on my humility.
Quote by IMABBALLPLAYER

Believe me man, I know your pain.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
LONG POST!

Ohai

Been playing on and off since the Odyssey block but only really got the money to finish my stuff about a year ago. Got a blue/black zombie deck, suicide black, black splash white cleric deck, and i'm starting a new(?) red aggro deck.

I picked up Magic again just out of curiosity a few months back and finally finished my suicide: Dauthi Slayer, Nightmare Lash, Hatred, Carnophage, et al.

Zombies i'm still working on, trying to fix some of the mana problems -almost every creature costs 3 to play (Lord of the Undead, Cemetery Reaper, Death Baron, Unbreathing Horde) Sadly it lacks any real synergy other than the +1/+1 bonuses most of the creatures have. Looking to add some dimensions and synergy to it. Any recommendations on cards to pick up? Any good combos?

My Black/White clerics is by far my favourite since it has the best synergy of all my decks.
The ideal is to sac three clerics (Dark supplicant) to bring out Scion of Darkness for facerollage, get my clerics back (No Rest for the Wicked) and get tokens for the sacs (Rotlung Reanimator). I've considered Vile Deacon as an alternative powerhouse but it raises the average mana cost of my deck

The red aggro is based on cheap creatures that hit hard but die at the end of the turn.
Ball Lightning, Blistering firecat, Spark Elemental,et al. Basically you want to hit as hard as you can within a turn (Fling, equips with double-strike) because you'll basically be defenseless (save for lightning bolts and shocks) during your opponents turn. I've thought about running some of the red spells that give me an extra untap and combat but I need cards that give red mana. Any ideas? Seething Song is the only one I can think of.

hue
Last edited by sock_demon at Mar 8, 2013,
Quote by IMABBALLPLAYER

If only Eradicate worked on it
hue
Quote by IMABBALLPLAYER

I'm going to Comic Con for the first time tomorrow, should I be expecting to buy Magic cards? And are they sold at a cheaper price than most stores? If it matters, I'm in Canada.
Quote by Vermillionpart2
I'm going to Comic Con for the first time tomorrow, should I be expecting to buy Magic cards? And are they sold at a cheaper price than most stores? If it matters, I'm in Canada.

Well, I went to Emerald City Comic-con in Seattle. I can't speak for other cons. It all depends which retailers are gonna be there. I wouldn't be surprised if you find some good deals though.

I ordered some purple sleeves. I ****ing slept all day and missed my university's drop zone hours. I'll have to wait until Monday, sadly.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I got purple sleeves on my red/blue deck, looks bretty good with the gold color of most of the cards.
Why the fuck would you pay all that money for a goddamn card? Whoever made that game really figured out how to scam your asses.
Quote by IMABBALLPLAYER
Well, I went to Emerald City Comic-con in Seattle. I can't speak for other cons. It all depends which retailers are gonna be there. I wouldn't be surprised if you find some good deals though.

I called ahead and found out that MTG will indeed be there, looking forward to it, and will report back tomorrow if I buy anything.
I also have a foil plains coming in. My friend has a green deck where every land is different and foil. He's serial about his lands.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
So I'm back, and all I got was a Gatecrash fatpack for $37.50. As far as I know I didn't pull any cards with lots of value, however almost all of the cards will be able to find a good home.

I saw a Jace, Architect of Thought for $10, and was going to buy it, but decided that it was too expensive for a single card.
****, I'll trade you Jace, Architect of Thought via the postal service if you'd be interested.
I wanna get Gatecrash to use Obzedat and mix them with some exhalted but I didn't really see anything new that interested me other than the new Ghost Council but that shit's like $20. Might as well just buy the old Ghost Council since it's $2 and I'm cheap
I've been disappointed with Obzedat so far.

My Boros deck is looking a little better. I'll probably trade more cards in for a Sacred Foundry.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
I've been disappointed with Obzedat so far.

My Boros deck is looking a little better. I'll probably trade more cards in for a Sacred Foundry.

Yeah I was thinking about getting an intro deck to fuck around with from Gatecrash but I don't really like the listing on any of them, Golgari vs Izzet dualdecks were fun though.

Oh yeah, I'm playing that old Magic game from like 1998 and holy shit now I can see how powerful some of the old staples were. My opening hand had a Plains, Mox Pearl, two Black Lotus, and Akroma. I had her out turn 1 against the CPU's black deck.

Shit was GG from the start
I went 2-0-1 in draft, placing 2nd on Friday. Walked away with a Boros Reckoner and $12 in store credit (which the LGS owner aptly dubbed "Ken Bucks.") It's the first time I've ever really "won" anything competitively (as in prizes) so I'm proud of myself.

Edit: If anyone wants to trade some shocks for the Reckoner I'd be happy to try to work something out.
I pride myself on my humility.
Quote by sock_demon
LONG POST!

Zombies i'm still working on, trying to fix some of the mana problems -almost every creature costs 3 to play (Lord of the Undead, Cemetery Reaper, Death Baron, Unbreathing Horde) Sadly it lacks any real synergy other than the +1/+1 bonuses most of the creatures have. Looking to add some dimensions and synergy to it. Any recommendations on cards to pick up? Any good combos?

I have a zombie deck like that. For my deck I dropped Cemetery Reaper because I didn't feel there is any synergy. Just add 4x Korlashes and your deck will be awesome, especially with Lord of the Undead pulling excess Korlashes back into your hand to grandeur again.
Quote by shredbeyndshred
thanx man you rule hong siah

Quote by Scourge
thanks, Hong Siah... now im gonna have nightmares about my balls being ripped apart while in mid fall from a building window.

#47 member of Alter Bridge Rocks club
#40 member of The Linkin Park Rocks Club
I've pulled three mythics out of the last five booster packs I've bought.

They were all two dollars. Niv-Mizzet, Deathpact Angel, and Duskmantle Seer.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I improved my red/white deck with some of the cards I pulled from the fatpack I bought, and I really like the "battalion" ability, really works well. With Odric in there too, with 4 creatures attacking I could really do some damage.