Page 5 of 12
I don't really play Magic anymore, but bought the Steam-game out of nostalgia when it was on sale. Anyone want to add me on steam and play some games sometime?

Profile-name is lncog or something.
Any fun mechanics in the new block?
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Quote by goest
Battalion and Extort are pretty cool.

Cipher is the best in some cases.

Cipher on Invisible Stalker and bam, every turn. I'm hoping for better cipher cards soon.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
Cipher is the best in some cases.

Cipher on Invisible Stalker and bam, every turn. I'm hoping for better cipher cards soon.

Definitely looking forward to using the cipher ability in my new blue/black deck
Bloodrush is also stupidly powerful.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
Bloodrush is also stupidly powerful.

Of all the new abilities, I think that one is the worst. Battalion is good if you have a lot of creatures, and Cipher just sounds like it'll really change the game.
Cypher can set up an lol I win with everybody draws card. I forgot the name but if you have what ever is the recent incarnation of megrim. But batalian actually looks fun and I want the goblin guy for my commander deck because he looks fun.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Quote by Vermillionpart2
Of all the new abilities, I think that one is the worst. Battalion is good if you have a lot of creatures, and Cipher just sounds like it'll really change the game.

Battalion is a good way to be tapped out mid game. I ran a lot of battalion and that's what it got me. With stuff like Hellrider it can be insane. It's a good keyword but bloodrush has some awesome capabilities

Two mana for +4/+4 and trample? That can mess someone up turn three or four. Bloodrush might be the weaker keyword of the set but evolve wasn't exactly as awesome as it looked. There are some Bloodrush cards that are the best pump spells in standard right now. You get rid of a creature but it's still usable.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
came 3rd at a PTQ on saturday. format was modern, i played UWR. lost to my buddy on my playtest team playing 4 color jund. he ended up taking the event over infect in the finals, pretty sick!
Wait jund is still relevant in extended?
Quote by joshua garcia

Quote by guitar0player
Quote by losing battle
Wait jund is still relevant in extended?

Haha, as if people play extended. It's a really good deck in modern. It was even better before Bloodbraid Elf got banned, but people have been using cards like Huntmaster as their 4 drop creatures.
I pride myself on my humility.
Quote by lncognito
I don't really play Magic anymore, but bought the Steam-game out of nostalgia when it was on sale. Anyone want to add me on steam and play some games sometime?

Profile-name is lncog or something.

Can you make your own deck in the Steam game? From the demo I played it was pretty fun but I would hate to only using the premade decks
Quote by mtshark
Haha, as if people play extended. It's a really good deck in modern. It was even better before Bloodbraid Elf got banned, but people have been using cards like Huntmaster as their 4 drop creatures.

Hell yeah dude. My modern 5 color rules. It does suck that Bloodbraid got banned. I took mine out after that happened.
I ordered a new standard deck yesterday. I call it Turbodoor. It's a super jank bant deck that is based around fogging and ramping until you can fire off a Door to Nothingness. I don't expect to win many games with it, but as long as I can troll a few people with it, I will be happy.
Quote by mtshark
I ordered a new standard deck yesterday. I call it Turbodoor. It's a super jank bant deck that is based around fogging and ramping until you can fire off a Door to Nothingness. I don't expect to win many games with it, but as long as I can troll a few people with it, I will be happy.

I've thought about making one of those. I probably have the cards to do it or close to it.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
So I bought the Duel Deck release that has Sorin facing off against Tibalt. I have to say Tibalt works out a lot better than I imagined he would. But somehow, even after playing 5 games with the decks against each other, I didn't draw Sorin once, so I have no idea how he really is. Overall, I'd say easily worth the $20.
Quote by Vermillionpart2
So I bought the Duel Deck release that has Sorin facing off against Tibalt. I have to say Tibalt works out a lot better than I imagined he would. But somehow, even after playing 5 games with the decks against each other, I didn't draw Sorin once, so I have no idea how he really is. Overall, I'd say easily worth the $20.

Tibalt...working...

Does not compute.

Seems like he's only good for undying and flashback.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
Tibalt...working...

Does not compute.

Seems like he's only good for undying and flashback.

His deck has a good number of Unearths and one mana spells that either deal damage, have you draw cards, or destroy creatures. His deck is black red.
I mean him as a planeswalker. He just doesn't seem very useful.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
I mean him as a planeswalker. He just doesn't seem very useful.

He's awful as a walker. He wouldn't be so terrible if his +1 didn't involve a random discard. Silly R&D.
Quote by mtshark
He's awful as a walker. He wouldn't be so terrible if his +1 didn't involve a random discard. Silly R&D.

That's why flashback s viable but you could still discard a land. That would be shitty. Of all people to put against Sorin, Tibalt seems anticlimactic. Based on cards and flavor, Sorin would deal with him out of annoyance then get on with his life.

I think after I get an Aurelia and another Lightning Mauler, my Boros deck will be mostly finished. I can stand up to my friend's modern vampire/creature destruction deck with my standard Boros deck so I'll take that as a good sign.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
THREAD REVIVE.

Anyway, looking for some advice.

Trying to build a black and red undying deck with boardwipe. Running a few Blood Artists in too. Advice on cards to put in there?
Quote by UntilISleep
THREAD REVIVE.

Anyway, looking for some advice.

Trying to build a black and red undying deck with boardwipe. Running a few Blood Artists in too. Advice on cards to put in there?

Standard? the black Mikaeus would help, Flayer of the hatebound, Hound of Griselbrand, Bonfire of the Damned, Mizzium Mortars

So I'm getting in to EDH. I've made a deck of only cats and artifacts and I'll make a RUG deck eventually.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Speakg of edh I found my rofellos deck and it goes its 50/50 against my krankos mob boss deck, I still don't see why rofelos was banned as a general. It wasn't that overpowered especially with the banning of channel.
Quote by joshua garcia

Quote by guitar0player
I play MtG! I've been working on Modern Merfolk for a while, I recently top 8'd a PTQ, and I'm currently 38th in England ^___^
Quote by SteveHouse
Also you're off topic. This thread is about Reva eating snowmen.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
I play MtG! I've been working on Modern Merfolk for a while, I recently top 8'd a PTQ, and I'm currently 38th in England ^___^

Haven't seen you in a while.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Hi.

So.

A few of my friends play this and I thought I'd try it. I have a lot of downtime this summer, so I figured I might as well try something new.

I just built a blue/green deck but I've only seen the game played once and I have no real idea what's going on.

Bye now.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by eGraham
Hi.

So.

A few of my friends play this and I thought I'd try it. I have a lot of downtime this summer, so I figured I might as well try something new.

I just built a blue/green deck but I've only seen the game played once and I have no real idea what's going on.

Bye now.

It gets easier. Probably want to stay out of standard. It gets expensive.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
The game on steam is a pretty good way to learn, I'm pretty sure the demo is on there.
Quote by BladeSlinger

Eh, if it's just with his friends I'm guessing it's going to be casuals. Pretty much every form of magic is expensive unless if it's something like pauper decks
Last edited by darkcheef at May 15, 2013,
Quote by BladeSlinger

I don't even know what that means.

I have 18 creatures, 24 lands, and 16 spells. I have mostly 3 mana cost cards, and then a tie between 2 and 4 mana cost cards.

My blue/green cost ratio is 1.2:1
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Quote by eGraham
I don't even know what that means.

I have 18 creatures, 24 lands, and 16 spells. I have mostly 3 mana cost cards, and then a tie between 2 and 4 mana cost cards.

My blue/green cost ratio is 1.2:1

There are blocks of new cards released about every three months. Standard are the most up to date cards to play in a tournament. Standard will have two blocks in it at most times, with one core set. There's one point right before it rotates where there are three sets (Two previous and the first block of a new one) and two core sets. It rotates in October then the second most recent set is no longer legal. So you have to keep buying to keep up with it.

If it's with friends he can use proxies. My friends and I mostly play with proxy decks with a good portion of real cards.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
You didn't really make that any less vague, to be honest. I have no clue what you mean by proxy deck, or even "real cards".

I got a Dragon Maze intro pack and then bought two boosters, Gatecrash and Ravnica.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

I feel ya, my friends spend hundreds of dollars on this and I tried making standard decks. They know wayyy too much about this game.

It's laameee

EDIT- But I guess it is a good way to get people to spend ridiculous amounts of money on this. Make people buy new cards to play
Last edited by DukeDeRox at May 16, 2013,
Quote by eGraham
You didn't really make that any less vague, to be honest. I have no clue what you mean by proxy deck, or even "real cards".

I got a Dragon Maze intro pack and then bought two boosters, Gatecrash and Ravnica.

Return to Ravnica, Gatecrash, and Dragon's Maze are the newest sets. The core set will have M13 as its symbol instead of the Ravnica or Gatecrash symbol. All that is allowed in standard. The block before Return to Ravnica (Those three you got are all part of one block) is called Innistrad. There are three sets in that: Innistrad, Dark Ascension, and Avacyn's Restored. So cards from all seven of those are legal. Core 14 will be out soon and those will be legal.

In October Innistrad block will rotate, meaning it's no longer usable in Standard. They rotate an old block out as a new one is made.

There are three main formats for 60 card decks. Standard, Modern, and Legacy. Standard I explained. Modern is from 8th edition forward. So a card from four years ago can be used with a Dragon's Maze card in the same deck in a tournament. Legacy is all cards in the entire game.

Proxies are when you don't have a card so you print in out on paper or write what it does on another card. So if I don't have forty bucks for the newest cool card, I can write down what it does on a spare land or print off a paper version. It isn't tournament legal but you can test decks with them. In casual play, a lot of people don't care if you play with proxied decks. Some people are pickier and only want to play if you have the real thing.

^That's why I'm not keeping up with Standard. Way too expensive. I'm playing EDH (100 card deck, one of each card only, and any card is usable) a little but I don't buy those really expensive ones. I'd rather have money and suck.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Last edited by BladeSlinger at May 16, 2013,
My standard deck wins and cost $6 total

I think people just over pay for these things. I can't understand the mentality of a person spending $80 on 4 cards.

Some nerds just wanna have fun. And some nerds just wanna win at all costs
Quote by DukeDeRox
My standard deck wins and cost $6 total

I think people just over pay for these things. I can't understand the mentality of a person spending $80 on 4 cards.

Some nerds just wanna have fun. And some nerds just wanna win at all costs

da fuq you running? I didn't spend that much on my deck specifically. I pulled a lot of good stuff and traded. At one point it was worth over $300. I got a lot of stuff from packs or when they were cheap, then they jumped in price.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Blue/black. A lot of counters, a lot of discard, invisible stalkers, fog banks, pump ups, clones, and more counters.

My friends have those lame ghost council things, sphinx revelation, and tons of those expensive lands.

Contaminated Ground is pretty great for turning their 10$ lands into 5 cent lands that hurt them.

EDIT- Not gonna lie, I have a lot of stuff just to make my opponents mad. It's funny seeing their money wasted.
Last edited by DukeDeRox at May 16, 2013,