Special Ed. Teacher tries to prevent gay students from attending prom

Page 1 of 4
zgr0826
UG's Cowardly Bassist
904 IQ
Source

A team of Valley high schoolers and parents rally for a separate prom that bans gays.

NBC 2's Paige Preusse reports how Sullivan High School says there's nothing legally they can do to allow it... several students and parents are taking matters into their own hands.

Several parents, students, and others who believe gays should be banned from the Sullivan High School prom met Sunday at the Sullivan First Christian Church.

"We don't agree with it and it's offensive to us," said Diana Medley.

Their idea is to create their own separate...traditional prom. Students say there are several others from their high school who agree, but are afraid to take a stand.

"If we can get a good prom then we can convince more people to come and follow what they believe," said student Kynon Johnson.

And now they want everyone to know where they stand.

"We want to make the public see that we love the homosexuals, but we don't think it's right nor should it be accepted," said a local student.

But not all in the community think what they're doing is right.

"We shouldn't be condemning people, and that's what judgement is. Christ came to save the people not to condemn them."

Local man Jim Davis says we've all sinned...so why should gays be treated with less respect?

"Love them as a person. You don't have to love what they do, because the gays may not love all the mistakes you make," said Davis.

Diana Medley is a special education teacher in town. She doesn't believe anyone is born gay.

"I believe that it was life circumstances and they chose to be that way; God created everyone equal," said Medley.

"Homosexual students come to me with their problems, and I don't agree with them, but I care about them. It's the same thing with my special needs kids, I think God puts everyone in our lives for a reason," said Madley.

"'So the same goes for gays? Do you think they have a purpose in life?' No I honestly don't. Sorry, but I don't. I don't understand it. A gay person isn't going to come up and make some change unless it's to realize that it was a choice and they're choosing God," said Medley.

Several local pastors support the separate prom movement.

"Christians have always been prepared for a fight. Jesus gave us armor for the front, not the back; we're not running anymore," said Bill Phegley with Carlisle Church.

Others, on the other hand, think they're casting stones... instead of spreading love.

"The feeling of being loved and belonging is universal," said Davis.

This story has been blowing up all over the place and has even made it to sites like Gawker and TIME. What is especially saddening to me is that a teacher is one of the main forces behind this. Fortunately, most of the people in the area are opposed to this movement and have started a real opposition to it, including contacting the school corporation and starting a petition.

(Here's the petition)
I Like St. Anger, So What?

Quote by NewDayHappy

I love my gays man, but a child could be buying that whopper. It just makes for a very awkward situation in the mini van when the father is talking to his son.

ayy lmao
bradulator
normcore
2,448 IQ
It's funny cuz at prom all the girls pretty much dirty dance with eachother.
Hail
i'm a mean bully
431 IQ
does that special ed teacher think the down syndrome kids she helps chose that lifestyle too?
Quote by theogonia777
Hail killed MT

Quote by jongtr
I want to be Hail when I grow up.
AeroRocker
I'm too old for this ****
1,019 IQ
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
As long as they create a separate but equal prom for the homosexual students I don't see a problem.

That was a joke, right?
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
zgr0826
UG's Cowardly Bassist
904 IQ
As long as they create a separate but equal prom for the homosexual students I don't see a problem.

Quote by NewDayHappy

I love my gays man, but a child could be buying that whopper. It just makes for a very awkward situation in the mini van when the father is talking to his son.

ayy lmao
bradulator
normcore
2,448 IQ
"Christians have always been prepared for a fight. Jesus gave us armor for the front, not the back; we're not running anymore," said Bill Phegley with Carlisle Church.

AMEN!
Adam808
I Wanna Be Sedated
111 IQ
Can't they all just get along. And whats a party without gays anyway, aren't they always the life of the party.
Play Loud! Play Fast! Play Raw!
muffinduck01
UG's BBW Lover
192 IQ
If I read that correctly, the anti-gay people want their own prom that the gays can't go to, but the normal, school sponsored prom is all inclusive?

If that's the case, let the gay-haters throw their own prom. Let them waste their own time and money on it, and watch when no one shows up at it.
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
lolmnt
Earth of the Butt
4,159 IQ
There's nothing gayer than prom, so just let them have their fun.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
MinterMan22
only smells
763 IQ
bout time somebody stood up to all these librel queers gaying up my america
..::fat
lard::..
Gibson_SG_uzr55
DJ SNAAAAKKEEE
4,027 IQ
Indiana--always finding reasons for me to hate them.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
zgr0826
UG's Cowardly Bassist
904 IQ
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55

Michigan--Ted Nugent.

I win.

Quote by NewDayHappy

ayy lmao
SkepsisMetal
✈ 🍁
1,468 IQ
"I believe that it was life circumstances and they chose to be that way; God created everyone equal," said Medley.

"Homosexual students come to me with their problems, and I don't agree with them, but I care about them. It's the same thing with my special needs kids, I think God puts everyone in our lives for a reason," said Madley.

So people choose to be disabled or mentally handicapped? Pick your own genetic mutation on the way in.
Did she choose to be this stupid, or was God just having a funny 5 minutes when it came time to make her?
Kueller917
2,544 IQ
Quote by SkepsisMetal
Did she choose to be this stupid, or was God just having a funny 5 minutes when it came time to make her?

Life's circumstances made her choose to be that way.
Gibson_SG_uzr55
DJ SNAAAAKKEEE
4,027 IQ
Quote by zgr0826
Michigan--Ted Nugent.

I win.

Indiana's collective badness outweighs one single asshole.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Rawshik
Homophobic Racist
2,276 IQ
Didn't read article, tbh, but I think even I have a problem with this. I mean, can't you go to prom by yourself anyways? So how does something private such as sexual orientation have anything to do with it?
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
Primus2112
whatever you say "Mor-ty"
915 IQ
we love the homosexuals

i don't know why but this is so funny to me
Quote by raoooos
slipknot are actually just terrible, they're such a "holy shit i'm 14" kind of band. like fuck off mum i'm not going to school i have to clear the stone of leaves.
rickyj
Unregistered user
1,937 IQ

THAT is the problem.
eGraham
Rattle That Lock
1,539 IQ
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55

Michigan, always being.. Michigan.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Joshua Garcia
Joshole
5,715 IQ
Pff. As if they're missing anything.

...Oh wait, I wouldn't know that either
Quote by Hal-Sephira
Have anybody went on high lately?
v Smash dat mf
Gibson_SG_uzr55
DJ SNAAAAKKEEE
4,027 IQ
Quote by eGraham

Michigan, always being.. Michigan.

Being the better but more poor Indiana.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

Quote by TunerAddict

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
eGraham
Rattle That Lock
1,539 IQ
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55
Being the better but more poor Indiana.

I've never been to Michigan, but I have heard that most of it is really pretty. And has a lot of good spots to fish. I'd love to go fish for pike up there sometime.

Indiana is pretty well off financially, if I remember my news correctly. I think it is, fiscally, the envy of many states.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Gibson_SG_uzr55
DJ SNAAAAKKEEE
4,027 IQ
Quote by eGraham
I've never been to Michigan, but I have heard that most of it is really pretty. And has a lot of good spots to fish. I'd love to go fish for pike up there sometime.

Indiana is pretty well off financially, if I remember my news correctly. I think it is, fiscally, the envy of many states.

That's because you ****s don't plow your roads in the winter. I would know, I work down there

But yeah, the scenery in MI is gorgeous, and you're never far from a body of water.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

Quote by TunerAddict

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
DardoBoy
UG Newbie
155 IQ
We do not hate anyone, we just don't want them near us. We wouldn't want the queer to rub off.

Edit: Lake Michigan almost killed my brother and I this summer when we were dumb enough to swim too far out on a day with some huge undertow/waves. Lake Indiana never did that to us. So Indiana>Michigan
Last edited by DardoBoy at Feb 12, 2013,
eGraham
Rattle That Lock
1,539 IQ
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55
That's because you ****s don't plow your roads in the winter. I would know, I work down there

But yeah, the scenery in MI is gorgeous, and you're never far from a body of water.

I'll get the Governor on the phone and tell him to take care of the roads so that MI drivers don't have any more excuses

Quote by DardoBoy
Lake Michigan almost killed my brother and I this summer when we were dumb enough to swim too far out on a day with some huge undertow/waves. Lake Indiana never did that to us. So Indiana>Michigan

A solid argument.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

AeroRocker
I'm too old for this ****
1,019 IQ
Quote by DardoBoy
So Indiana>Michigan

I agree wholeheartedly.
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
DardoBoy
UG Newbie
155 IQ
So we can all agree that the people in OP are dumb and Indiana>Michigan?
MakinLattes
fully retractable
1,097 IQ
The entire midwest (I think that's where all these obscure states are located) is an abyssal hellscape.

OT, what a sickening woman. Someone like that should not be working with children and teenagers. I can't believe she's using her special ed. students as a platform for her homophobia.
Gibson_SG_uzr55
DJ SNAAAAKKEEE
4,027 IQ
Quote by DardoBoy
So we can all agree that the people in OP are dumb and Indiana>Michigan?

You have no right to butt in, your state honestly believes that they look like a hand too.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

Quote by TunerAddict

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Gibson_SG_uzr55
DJ SNAAAAKKEEE
4,027 IQ
Quote by eGraham
I'll get the Governor on the phone and tell him to take care of the roads so that MI drivers don't have any more excuses

A solid argument.

Don't even get me started on IN drivers. Nearly every near accident I have been in, in my own state, is because I was cut off by an Indiana driver. Not to mention your road system is illogical as **** (though that may be the local areas near me and not the state, so that one can slide).
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

Quote by TunerAddict

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
eGraham
Rattle That Lock
1,539 IQ
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55
You have no right to butt in, your state honestly believes that they look like a hand too.

It's a mitten. You look like a mitten.

Mittigan.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

TooktheAtrain
Banned
184 IQ

For all you guys taking this quote seriously, it's a reference to Jim Crow laws. It's satire, almost.