stoneyfromoz
111 IQ
Hey guys i've visited this site since i was 14 and thought i'd finally sign up and ask oppinion on what guitar to buy, i own a gibson sg robot and a line 6 spider valve mk2 212 amp and really want an esp to crank out some fast paced metalcore on i've been looking at the horizons, the alexi laiho signatures and fr-7's but can't make a decision any feedback will be acknowledged as good feedback and i don't really want to spend more than 4 grand cheers guys
StrykVladzimsky
ESP through Potato
2,585 IQ
Well if you get any ESP really you won't be let down, the craftsmanship on them is immaculate.
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

stoneyfromoz
111 IQ
a couple more questions are the emg's or seymour duncans better pickups for metal i've been playing axe for a while but when it comes to the technical side i'm rather stuck. currently looking at the alexi laiho pinksawtooth with an emg hz-h2
stoneyfromoz
111 IQ
Quote by its_minchew
4 grand? That might get you into custom shop range..

yeah man i want a sweet axe i wasn't sure about filling out a custom form or not as i do have some pretty specific wants also i live in australia don't know about shipping fees.
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
3,265 IQ
Unless you have a specific guitar in mind that costs that much, you should probably go custom. It is my understanding there ARE some pretty good luthiers and wood suppliers in Australia, you know. Gecko, Ormsby...there are others.

Gecko might be outside your price range, as might a full custom Ormsby, but Ormsby's standard models are well within your budget.

Ormsby
http://www.ormsbyguitars.com/standardseries.html

Best of all, you're supporting the local craftsmen while getting a dream guitar.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Feb 12, 2013,
trashedlostfdup
diet coke fiend.
13,457 IQ
suhr? modern carve tops are the secks. (i will shut up and buy one someday).
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.
griffin888
65 IQ
I was beat to it, but seriously, call John and get a Modern decked out. Amazing guitars. I haven't owned or played anything better.
Bonsaischaap
Intriguingly opinionated
1,462 IQ
Quote by trashedlostfdup
suhr? modern carve tops are the secks. (i will shut up and buy one someday).

You should and so should Stoneyfromoz: they're amazing guitars
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
romeozdistress
2,590 IQ
maybe a new amp first.
Fender American Special Stratocaster (EMG KH20)
Ibanez VBT700
Randall Diavlo RD5H
Peavey Vypyr 112 (WGS Veteran 30)
Boss SD1
Big Muff Pi

Squier Chris Aiken Precision Bass (EMG GZR)
Ampeg 108B
Robbgnarly
Tab Contributor
1,177 IQ
PRS CU24
Suhr
Jackson Soloist
EBMM JP6
Mayones

ESP is nice, but when you have the budget you have why settle for a good guitar, get a great guitar.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it
4,127 IQ
The others have it right, if you've got that much money to blow then I'd suggest you just go for a custom build, everything made to your spec. A custom ESP for four grand might be a little tight, depending on what you want on it, but private luthiers, companies like Carvin and even the Fender Custom Shop will make something to your spec within that price range.

As far as ESPs go, all of their top line are equal in quality; there is no objective reason to buy one particular model over another. What it comes down to is what features you want. ESP make a guitar to suit anything, but nobody can point you in the right direction if you don't tell us what things you need. For example, so far you've mentioned a single-pickup V, a super-Strat and a 7-string. That's a random mix.

Think about (and answer) the following:
  • How many strings do you want? 6, 7, 8?
  • What sort of bridge do you need? Fixed bridge or a Floyd Rose?
  • What scale length do you want? 24.75" and 25.5" are normal for 6-strings, while 25.5" or 27" are normal for 7- and 8-string guitars.
  • How many frets do you need? 22, 24, 27?
  • Do you want a bright and modern tone, a warm and classic tone, or something in the middle?
  • Do you only want one pickup? Do you want two, or three?
  • Do you prefer the sound of active pickups or passives?
  • Any particular body style or colour you like?

ESP (and many other brands) make every combination of everything, but if we don't know what it is you want then we can't point you towards the right guitar.

Quote by romeozdistress
maybe a new amp first.
OP's amp is fine if all they want to play is metal and they're happy enough with their current sound. I'm not saying it's the greatest amp money can buy, but there's no pressing need to change it. ESPs and Line 6 Spider Valves happen to be the recording and touring amps of choice for two of my favourite metal bands
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
spadeswyld
803 IQ
EDWARDS

Last edited by spadeswyld at Feb 12, 2013,
solidrane
Wekk Blka
1,008 IQ
Price Range: Infinite?

Custom shop esp's start at about $5000-$8000-ish (don't quote me on that) and the price rises as you go into detail in specs or if you demand some crazy shit.

"What was the craziest guitar anyone ever wanted built?

We've worked on so many crazy products in our 38-year history. It's really hard to say which one was the craziest. We did a two string bass, a guitar with 100 frets, triple - neck guitars, and guitars with even four and five necks. We've done guitars with two necks on the left and right side of the body. But sometimes those crazy customs would bring us innovative ideas. But if you insist that I tell you, I would say the craziest custom was the one we built for a Japanese actor/artist, which had hundreds of diamonds built into it. In total, the cost was $200,000."

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/interviews/interviews/esp_guitars_metallica_is_our_largest_driving_marketing_force.html
???
SlenderMan`
209 IQ
Quote by romeozdistress
maybe a new amp first.

THIS

trust me dude you can buy a wicked metal amp in Australia for like $1500, which leaves 2500 to get an ESP or similar metal axe.

Dont do what a friend did and buy an excellent guitar when you have a average amp because you won't get the best out of a guitar. Any extra money you spend on the axe will be useless.

EG you could buy maybe an Egnater Vengence from the states (they have a voltage switch to our aussie power level of 240v) for like $1400 and then a new ESP Eclipse, V or M series for like 2k-2.5k. Or vice versa get a used Mesa or ENGL for 202.5k and a second hand esp for 1.2-1.7k.

PS my friend bought a Gibson Les Paul Traditional for retail ($3500 AUD which is like 3900 USD) and the only amp he had was the one that came with his Squire, the SP10

TLDR: old rambling UG veteran
Dellinger1988
UG's only Krank
548 IQ
Quote by SlenderMan`
THIS

trust me dude you can buy a wicked metal amp in Australia for like $1500, which leaves 2500 to get an ESP or similar metal axe.

Dont do what a friend did and buy an excellent guitar when you have a average amp because you won't get the best out of a guitar. Any extra money you spend on the axe will be useless.

EG you could buy maybe an Egnater Vengence from the states (they have a voltage switch to our aussie power level of 240v) for like $1400 and then a new ESP Eclipse, V or M series for like 2k-2.5k. Or vice versa get a used Mesa or ENGL for 202.5k and a second hand esp for 1.2-1.7k.

PS my friend bought a Gibson Les Paul Traditional for retail ($3500 AUD which is like 3900 USD) and the only amp he had was the one that came with his Squire, the SP10

TLDR: old rambling UG veteran

+1
Caparison Angelus HGS, EMG 85/85 18V | Krank Rev1, JJ's | Mesa Recto Cab | Maxon OD808
trashedlostfdup
diet coke fiend.
13,457 IQ
again this is all opinion. but say its a ESP build for $8000, how is that better than two, or a Suhr and a PRS 513. or hell even a Suhr and a Gibson Les Paul Custom. or go with a suhr and get some uber expensive amp (diesel comes to mine here). or a J-Custom (supposedly less than $2k, but most i see are around the $2k mark)

i don't see justifying a $8000 on a guitar that would be a specialized version of whats out there. is a different color? a different scale? a custom inlays? etc.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Feb 13, 2013,
LP_CL
Gimme a beer!
2,072 IQ
Forget ESP man, Mayones is where today's quality at. And that for the same price (standard models) or less (custom master builds) than ESP's.

@trashedlostfdup: The online quotes can't be further of the truth. An ESP CS with the same body shape of a standard model but with different woods/electronics or other minor modifications will set you back about 4k.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Last edited by LP_CL at Feb 13, 2013,
griffin888
65 IQ
I'd do obscene things for a Regius Gothic 7 string...
StrykVladzimsky
ESP through Potato
2,585 IQ
Or a Daemoness V or 6 string Cimmerian. Mother of God those are things of beauty.
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

Last edited by StrykVladzimsky at Feb 13, 2013,
ou8me99
144 IQ
JH set pickups are phenomenal for metal. If you really want a guitar that shreds by ESP try the KH ones. EMG's are really good for Metal type music. even better go with the blackout pickups, in my opinion their top notch.
RyanStorm13
484 IQ
$4000 can literally get you almost any guitar you want at the Guitar Center. I would spend $2000 on a guitar and the rest on an Amp, with maybe some effects.
omidmash
Tab Contributor
1,076 IQ
i hope you plan to get a new amp..
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
Offworld92
One among the fence.
7,563 IQ
It sounds like you don't know what you want at all. You should not be flinging that kind of money around until you have more experience with guitars, IMO.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1497696

Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
jmaguire
472 IQ
Get a new amp first. That'll have a far bigger impact on your tone. You should be spending similar amounts of money on your amp as your guitar. Probably more, in fact.
[404]Signature not found
hminh87
Justin here!
4,672 IQ
Go to a music store and try out all of them. The best way.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

StrykVladzimsky
ESP through Potato
2,585 IQ
The stuff I would do with your budget TS.
Quote by luxeion

NotTheMessiah30
UG Fanatic
741 IQ
I can vouch for the horizons, they're amazing guitars in every capacity. I'm sure a few of you have noticed i keep going on about them from time to time haha.
trashedlostfdup
diet coke fiend.
13,457 IQ
Quote by NotTheMessiah30
I can vouch for the horizons, they're amazing guitars in every capacity. I'm sure a few of you have noticed i keep going on about them from time to time haha.

i have limited experience with the horizon, but agree ESP's are nice, i am more of an Ibby Prestige fan.

but once you get to the (hate defining) 'professional' range ($1300-$2500USD) most mainstream brands make excellent guitars. whether it be a EBMM Ibby ESP, Jackson, Fender, Gibson, PRS, etc. as long as it fits you right and you think its comfortable you can't really go wrong. all great guitars.

and if the budget is over that look into the dozens of bigger buck manufactures people are talking about in this thread (suhr, maynoes, Anderson, etc).
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7
AXEFAN88
241 IQ
ESP Eclipse II. All the way !
GUITARS:
PRS Custom 24 (Black Slate 10 top w/birds)
ESP E-II Horizon NT-III (RDB)
ESP Eclipse II - Snow White

AMPS:
Mesa Rectoverb combo