SimonGrounsell
567 IQ
Hi all,

Had my epiphone les Paul standard ( left handed model ) a wee while now and I think it's time to change strings! Just wondered if anyone knows what make and gauge strings come on the guitar as standard as I quite like them as they are.

Thanks ,

Simon.
ProphetToJables
Tight Tight Tight
1,529 IQ
Are the metal rings at the bottom multi colored? They're probably gauge 9s
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
mattrusso
615 IQ
Not sure of the brand but almost all new solid body guitars come with 9s or 10s.
stonyman65
Unregistered User
809 IQ
I'd say 10's.

8's on a Les Paul is kinda light. I personally wouldn't go with anything under 10-46 on a 24.75 in scale neck.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
spiroth10
3,476 IQ
I know some losers who like 8s on les pauls because they have girly fingers haha...

but like, most guitars come with .09s from the factory, mainly because they want the guitars to play easier to n00bs without a proper setup/any work involved on part of the resellers.

since its got a solid bridge though, the only change you might have to make is a truss rod adjustment, which is easy, and *maybe* an intonation (especially if it wasnt intonated properly to begin with, which it may not have been).

I agree that anything under 10s on a les paul is slightly ridiculous, seeing as its a short scale guitar and already has less string tension because of that alone.
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
arc anjil
10 IQ
I read somewhere that Jimmy Page uses EB Super Slinky's (.009 - .042) on his Les Paul, but he probably has a serious Pro set up his guitars.

I use 10's myself.
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it
4,127 IQ
Quote by spiroth10
I know some losers who like 8s on les pauls because they have girly fingers haha...

but like, most guitars come with .09s from the factory, mainly because they want the guitars to play easier to n00bs without a proper setup/any work involved on part of the resellers.

since its got a solid bridge though, the only change you might have to make is a truss rod adjustment, which is easy, and *maybe* an intonation (especially if it wasnt intonated properly to begin with, which it may not have been).

I agree that anything under 10s on a les paul is slightly ridiculous, seeing as its a short scale guitar and already has less string tension because of that alone.
Billy Gibbons uses .007 strings on his Les Pauls in E Standard tuning. Brain May uses .009s on a 24" scale guitar. And a .09 string is what a baritone guitar uses for its low E.

OP, Epiphone Les Pauls are strung with .010 strings at the factory. There is no brand given, although really brand name is irrelevant anyway; what matters is how the string is made, not who it is made by. Your Epiphone will have been strung with strings made in the most common fashion. Look for regular nickel wound strings, such as those made by D'Addario and Ernie Ball (among many other manufacturers).
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
paruwi
€pi Wiki Team
12 IQ
Quote by SimonGrounsell
Hi all,

Had my epiphone les Paul standard ( left handed model ) a wee while now and I think it's time to change strings! Just wondered if anyone knows what make and gauge strings come on the guitar as standard as I quite like them as they are.

Thanks ,

Simon.

Hi,

all Epi LPs come stock with .10 - .46

Epi-branded, probably made by D'Addario

http://images.epiphone.com.s3.amazonaws.com/Media/Manuals/StringGauges.pdf
SimonGrounsell
567 IQ
Thank you friends had said they'd be a 9 but I didn't think they were. Thank you again!