I sold my Splawn and I'm in the market for a new high-gainer . But I'm not exactly sure what I want... I prefer lower mid-voiced, bright Britishesque amps with a prominent low end.

Budget: $1300USD or so
Greatly prefer used gear
Gigging and home use
Closest City: Evansville IN
Current Gear: Check sig

The two amps in my sight are a Soldano Hot Rod 50+ and a Mesa Tremoverb. I'll list the amps I've owned and my opinions about 'em to help give an idea of the sound I'm after. Because frankly, I don't even know what I'm after.

Jet City JCA100H: Favorite amp I've owned yet. I wish the normal channel had more clean headroom, with a 5751 in V1 it brought the gain and saturation down to acceptable levels for me on both channels.

Peavey JSX: Clean channel was very nice, except I couldn't dial in a good low-gain sound. High gain channel was too tight for my liking and way too much sizzle. Overall the amp sounded too "refined" and sterile, reminiscent of a hybrid or SS amp. Didn't keep this one long

Mesa 3ch Triple Rectifier: Liked the clean channel quite a bit, could dial in all sorts of nice tones. Crunch channel was horrible and didn't cut through at all. Lead channel was the typical Recto sound and it agreed with me. I wish the amp was brighter and that the channel switches didn't cause a HUGE difference in volume. I vastly preferred running EL34's in this amp instead of 6L6's

Splawn Quick Rod: Nearly there but not quite. The upper mids sounded funky to me on high gain and I hated the controls on the amp. Not enough saturation for my tastes, and the clean channel's volume was drastically different from the rest of the amp. I really liked the Plexi setting on OD2 though, the rest of it not so much.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Feb 13, 2013,
The speakers I have are a Legend V12 (8 ohm), Vintage 30 (16 ohm), and a G12H30 anniversary (16ohm). I love the G12 and wish I had a V12 in 16 to match it
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Dont know if you have tried them yet but look up used Blackstar series one's they have EL34 Based and a 6L6 based model. Very chunky amps the EL34 is a High Gain guy but not a stupid amount in my opinon. Also has that ISF which on that amp really helps define exactly how much brit to U.S tone you want.

Just a suggestion.
if you liked the jet city best i'd probably get the soldano. I haven't tried the hot rod, but i've tried the avenger (and i've got the 50 watt jet city, not the 100), but i'm guessing they're close enough. my jet city does remind me of the avenger i tried.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

You checked out the Soldano Lucky 13? Probably harder to find used, and the gain channel I don't think has quite as much gain on tap as the hot rod, but the clean channel is stunning and the gain channel is pretty good still.
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Dave, have you compared the normal channel's headroom to the 100? I'm curious how different they are. I've compared a 20W to the 100W, but not a 50. I liked the Jet City quite a bit, I just wish it had more clean headroom before the distortion started kicking in.

I haven't really checked out a Lucky 13
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Oh hell i skipped the second paragraph :/ Hot Rod all the way chunk and balls for days and days. Rip it.
Quote by Flux'D
Dave, have you compared the normal channel's headroom to the 100? I'm curious how different they are. I've compared a 20W to the 100W, but not a 50. I liked the Jet City quite a bit, I just wish it had more clean headroom before the distortion started kicking in.

I haven't really checked out a Lucky 13

Try and find one, GC list the combo quite often so may be able to find one in a store to try
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mesa Roadster or Soldano Lucky 13?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I'm probably the only one who will suggest this, but the Line 6 DT25. The amount of amazing tones I can get out of mine is unreal, despite it being a hybrid amp.

Be sure to get a USB to MIDI cable with it though, so you can fine-tune your sound (speaker setup, reverb, amp style) using a laptop and DTEdit. It does it all, I consider myself an all-rounder when it comes to genres and the amp suits me perfectly.
Quote by GABarrie
You checked out the Soldano Lucky 13? Probably harder to find used, and the gain channel I don't think has quite as much gain on tap as the hot rod, but the clean channel is stunning and the gain channel is pretty good still.
Checking out clips, I love the clean channel but I'm not crazy about the OD. If I could get the L13's clean and the Hot Rod's OD in the same amp...

I think the 20th Anniversary Bogner Shiva would be a perfect amp, but it's out of my price range. I wish the regular Shiva had more gain on the OD channel.
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

is it the SLO gain channel you're after
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Quote by Flux'D
Checking out clips, I love the clean channel but I'm not crazy about the OD. If I could get the L13's clean and the Hot Rod's OD in the same amp...

I think the 20th Anniversary Bogner Shiva would be a perfect amp, but it's out of my price range. I wish the regular Shiva had more gain on the OD channel.

I hear ya. Found a good deal on a shiva on ebay once and i almost got it but i knew i wouldnt be happy with the OD. The 20th is king but yeah right im paying that price. If you like the Uberschall you can walk away like a king on ebay all day long. Cheapest i found one time was $999-1299.
Putting it out there, considering a JCM900 SL-X? If you're after a British voiced amp that is. Tons of gain, has that Marshall top end and is very chunky. Was super impressed with the one I played through. Not sure how similar it will be to your Splawn though and if you want something different.

Something on the darker side, Orange Rockerverb MKI/II? MKII more so if cleans are super important, the cleans on the MKI were kind of meh. I'm not sure how good the Orange used market is in terms of prices/availability, but IIRC they're kind of similar to Australia's.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
The Rockerverbs are way too dark for my tastes, but thanks for the suggestion!
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Quote by Flux'D

nope sorry
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Laney? Also, browse GC's used site. Free shipping over $100 and it comes right to the door.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals

TITAN Custom

Hell of an amp for $1350 brand new. Zach is a cool guy and his amps are superb, the Custom is very Soldano-eqsue.

They're all individually handmade so you'll be waiting a few weeks though.
Last edited by kyle62 at Feb 14, 2013,
Quote by LaidBack
Laney? Also, browse GC's used site. Free shipping over $100 and it comes right to the door.

i'd be concerned it might be too much like his splawn. I haven't tried the splawn, but assuming it's hot-rod marshally (and the laney gh is too)...

i really think the soldano (or something soldano-ish, i suppose, like a titan, but i haven't tried it) is the way to go. he pretty much already knows what he wants. it's just the clean channel thing.
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

First off, I'm not following you on something that's got plenty of lower-mids emphasis, but is bright. Usually lower mids are what give something a dark sound, and upper mids make it sound brighter.

Well, the two Egnater high gainers are both pretty dark (the Vengeance being darker) and have both excellent clean channels and growling gain channels. PLENTY of bass response. The Density knob is basically a lower-mid knob, so you can dial those in to taste. More features than you should need, and my Vengeance cuts through a mix like a champ.

The EVH 5150 III has an excellent clean channel plus a sizziling bright gain channel. More of a bright, upper-mid emphasis. Both the clean channel AND the gain channel are equal in greatness to the Egnaters, but they're just different flavors.

A Peavey 3120 might be something should consider. It's not British voiced at all, but it still sounds up your alley other than that. It's kinda got a setup with the Rhythm/Crunch channels like the 6505, where you really only need the gain level of the crunch channel to get f***ing brutal, with plenty of clarity, but you've got the lead channel, too, to go absolutely over the top with thickness, gain, and crunch. Then, the clean channel is pretty damn good.

Really, I would say the Armageddon is probably the best fit out of these suggestions. I just thought I would throw out some options that are a bit different that what's been discussed.
I had a tremoverb for years, I miss it. I absolutely loved that amp. If I have a chance to get another one I will without thinking twice.
ASG Hybris
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
diamond F-4 is coming right in about that range

perhaps add a bit more to the budget and get into Baron amps?
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by Flux'D

If you're that picky (and I don't mean that derogitorily at all, I feel you), then maybe it'd be worth saving up for the 20th Ann? Or maybe just getting someone to build one for you at that point. Hot Rod dirt w/ Lucky cleans?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT/Fryette?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***"What Trashed Hoards"*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Ippon
Seriously, you need 3 different amps, at least.

You're welcome.

I find a dt 25/50 would be good...check it out it has 4 seperate analog circuits based on a fender/vox/marshal/and mesa. plus you can change each with class a or class b plus make each a pentode or triod. kinda like a custom amp. I like a class a triode mesa or marshal sound. Add a hd500 and it controls the switching of the amp. the amp and hd500 talks to each other turn a knob on the amp it turns down the hd500 yu can have almost an unlimited amount of presets. You can set the hd500 to preamp models and eliminate power section and cab models or use them.I only use the amp preamps and effects and use the tube power section of the amp. sounds killer. way better than just a hd500 running into a normal amp because the tube circuits on the dt change to the amp on the hd500 so you get the right tube feel that matches the amp. hard to describe really
the Titan is a SLO.

Quote by Cathbard
ASG Hybris

This.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Cathbard
ASG Hybris

x1000.

After playing one in person its highest on my GAS list. It chugs and is not dark, brighter than say a 5150. Also very tight, dynamic and responsive. I loved it.

Check out some clips. They won't do it any justice though.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
I'm really digging the Hybris, cool amp Craig! What's the price point supposed to be on these, and where can you get them? I found ASG's site but nothing is listed in their amp section
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

It is supposed to be hitting the $1K mark.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
It is supposed to be hitting the $1K mark.

x2.

Last time I checked it was on the web-site.

I have heard it in person and played it for 20-30 minutes. I fell in love with it.

What are you after again? Voicing wise?

The cleans are sick on the Hybris. Very clean even with high output pickups. You can turn the gain up and get a little bit of dirt on them if you like that route if I remember correctly, but it had to be turned up pretty high(gain for clean). More than enough clean head room for drumming levels.

I played it with both EMGs and Seymour Duncans.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Last edited by R45VT at Feb 27, 2013,
Royal Atlantic

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Quote by R45VT
What are you after again? Voicing wise?
See, I'm not really sure. A Marshall voicing with a lower mid emphasis. Or a Soldano voicing. I'm in the midst of changing up my style and I'm drawing a LOT of influence from different genres, so I'm not all that sure myself.

I do know that I don't like uber tight amps, like a 5150. I prefer a little give, the Jet City I had was a hair too loose (if I remember correctly) but I could definitely deal with it.
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Quote by Perverockstar69
Royal Atlantic

I liked the RA. I played one when I bought my Mark V. Which I just sold.

I made the decision to sell once I heard the Hybris. No joke. After NAMM ended it went on CL and I sold it last night.

I played the Hybris 3 times. The first day a bunch of people were around and I wasn't too comfortable playing in front of people with a loud volume as I am not the best player and I hadn't practiced in some time. I got home from NAMM and fired up the 5150 to compare while it was fresh in my mind and then the Mark V.

Next day I played it early for a good 15 minutes before people walked over to check it out. In a room with poor acoustics and loud ambient noise it cut through like none other. The Randall thrasher could take some notes on that, as it was lost in a crowd of 15 people.

I played it one time again to make sure I wasn't nuts the next day.

Overall nice dynamics and definition. Not a single note will get lost.

I played it with a Mesa 2x12 with V30s. I had a V30 4x12 cab at home for the 5150 so it was a pretty close test.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Would you consider it a super tight amp? That's one of the issues I had with the Quick Rod, in that it was very tight.
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Quote by Flux'D
See, I'm not really sure. A Marshall voicing with a lower mid emphasis. Or a Soldano voicing. I'm in the midst of changing up my style and I'm drawing a LOT of influence from different genres, so I'm not all that sure myself.

I do know that I don't like uber tight amps, like a 5150. I prefer a little give, the Jet City I had was a hair too loose (if I remember correctly) but I could definitely deal with it.

It's been a bit since NAMM so I can't remember all the details.

It doesn't sound like a 5150 or anything. I kinda half expected it too. From what I understand it's not based off any amp. Craig compares it too the Brigand, however it was extensively reworked and doesn't sound like any Brigand clips to me. the Brigand sounds nice from all the clips I have heard, however its not for me. Hybris however floats my boat.

I've never played a JC so I can't compare for tightness.

The clips I have heard of the Hybris don't do it justice.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Last edited by R45VT at Feb 27, 2013,
Quote by Flux'D
I'm really digging the Hybris, cool amp Craig! What's the price point supposed to be on these, and where can you get them? I found ASG's site but nothing is listed in their amp section

Thanks, glad you like what you've heard so far!

It's priced at $999 but there's limited availability on this amp. We had an ordering period open for a bit in January but currently it is not available to order. Ordering will probably open up again in a few months.

The reason why we are doing it this way is that Vijay and I have two other businesses we have to devote time to as well. So the amp becomes available to order for a period of time, and then ordering closes again while orders are fulfilled and we attend to the other things we have to attend to outside of ASG Amps.

To answer your question about tightness, it kind of depends on what you mean exactly. The Hybris has a REALLY tight low end response, but a pretty open distortion character. Palm mutes lend a really tight chug, but hitting unmuted chords results in a pretty saturated distortion sound. The distortion is not what one might consider a "buzzsaw tight" distortion. As I just mentioned, it's pretty open. Low end starts to loosen up as you go beyond noon on the gain knob.

It really does liken itself to the Brigand in some regards (which the circuit is derived from), but differs in that there is a LOT more gain and the low end is uber tight. They both share a brighter, more open character to the distortion though.