Page 1 of 2
And I don't mean by the navy off Somalia.

Do any of you ever worry about getting caught out downloading illegally? I was talking with a friend about it the other day, and he pointed out that once you've downloaded enough stuff, it doesn't really matter if you get more, because on the off-chance you do get fined, you're ****ed either way. But since then I've been quite nervous for some reason.

UK users, do you know what the penalties are? I had to research French and US ones for a project back in high school, but don't know what happens to UK pirates.
I don't know exactly how it works but after talking to someone who works with the police, he told me that nobody gets in trouble for downloading but rather distributing. You have to seed something like 25 gigabytes worth of copyrighted material in order to get in trouble. This is the U.S. however. I have no idea about the UK.
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
And you will remember this day, as the day that you almost caught Neo Evil pirating.

Yes, i do know this is a trap by the british marine.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
I do worry about it but I also worry about death so that normally wins
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
Admittedly you're probably as likely to be charged with being a Somalian pirate as you are with online piracy.

But yeah I don't download illegally anyway, so... personally, no I'm not worried.
It's not the downloading that gets you in trouble, it's the uploading/seeding.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

in my first year of university when i was living in residence, i downloaded a cam recorded version of paranormal activity 2 and uploaded it onto the schools file sharing network. the next day i got an email from paramount pictures, telling me to take it off or i would be kicked off the network, and possibly out of the university for breaking the distribution rules. they also threatened legal processions but i highly doubt it would ever come to that. it was still pretty rattling, i took it down right away.

ive been more careful now but it hasnt really deterred me from torrents or anything like that
Last.fm So you can make fun of my taste in music
Youtube So you can make fun of my videos
hell nah

ive gotten a note from my isp for uploading something ordering me to stop

but the fact of the matter is that it's illegal for the isp to give my identity away, and what the **** do they care, my piracy is quite profitable for them
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
The person who gets prosecuted is the person who's name the internet is in. Use a work/public one & you're fine.
haha, no
She was born in 1898 in a barn. She died on the thirty-seventh floor of a skyscraper. She's an astronaut.

Quote by matt bickerton
Doesn't at all surprise me why so many people here tend to think you're a douche
Quote by gabcd86
UK users, do you know what the penalties are? I had to research French and US ones for a project back in high school, but don't know what happens to UK pirates.

If it's just your ISP they will go

*sarcastically waving hands* "Oh no, he's pirating...we are so angry and all that" Then they will send you a letter.

That doesn't stop certain law firms placing requests into the courts for the release of information to sue against however.
Quote by Trowzaa
It's not the downloading that gets you in trouble, it's the uploading/seeding.

Good thing I never seed for more than a minute or two once the download is done, if that's indeed how it works.
Suddenly, I feel awesome for living in this fucking narnia called Bosnia.
Quote by ChemicalFire
You get my first ever lolstack

The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point

Aw yeah.
The only reason I love living in this place called The Republic of Moldova, nobody gives two s**ts about piracy. Pirate for life!
Friend when to germany for a weekend to visit family. He forgot to turn of his torrents whilst there for two days. A few weeks later his auntie got a message saying you downloaded and uploaded this movie, from a small legal company. To make a long story short he got a lawyer and still ended up having to pay around 1500 euro plus the money for his lawyer.
Let's look for treasure
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
I don't pirate stuff.

I've been known to pillage and burn (never rape though) from time to time though.
*your ad here*
Quote by theogonia777
I don't pirate stuff.

I've been known to pillage and burn (never rape though) from time to time though.

Thats the most fun part though
Since I've never pirated anything, no...I'm not worried. However, if I were the kid who had a 100GB of pirated material and was distributing it to my friends, then I'd be worried.
lol, no.
I Have An Avant Garde Fetish....
Quote by Gantz92
Im in no way an amateur. I masturbate in public all the time.
Quote by Nelsean
I can get an erection just by looking at a plastic cup, or a river.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
Don't worry, rape will always find a back way in
Quote by AndyGray
The person who gets prosecuted is the person who's name the internet is in. Use a work/public one & you're fine.

Until your company traces it to your workstation and you get fired.

I don't torrent shit anymore cause my connection sucks.
Also, my brother's friend got caught once and was fined some ridiculous amount like $100,000 or something that he clearly couldn't pay (and the authorities knew he couldn't pay). Basically, he just left it alone and I guess the authorities did too because they knew how ridiculous it was.
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
Nope. My ISP practices a "3 strike" rule, and I've yet to get a single strike. Then again I don't tend to download anything where there's likely to be strict copyright enforcement, mainly books.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
I don't pirate at all or download files illegally so I've got nothing to worry about. The times I've read about people being prosecuted have been when they've been distributing the material, not downloading it, so as long as you're not seeding a load of movies/music/software I'd imagine you shouldn't have anything to worry about.
I have TBs of shit and I'm not worried. Then again, I know what I am doing.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Quote by TheNameOfNoone
Suddenly, I feel awesome for living in this fucking narnia called Bosnia.

South Africa for the win!We don't give a **** here, we actually are more concerned with the Somalians!
I'm not saying not to trust the internet, but there's an alarming discrepancy between the number of iPads I've won & the number of iPads I own.
A friend of mine was caught, although strangely they only convicted him on 3 counts when he had download gigabytes and gigabytes of albums.

I haven't heard from him in a while, but last I heard he was fined something like £2000 for the 3 counts, evidence of which they had for 3 albums. It was pretty crazy. He had to move back in with his parents because he couldn't afford rent and the monthly payments for the fine.

Man I should Facebook him really
Quote by gallagher2006

I haven't heard from him in a while, but last I heard he was fined something like £2000 for the 3 counts, evidence of which they had for 3 albums. It was pretty crazy. He had to move back in with his parents because he couldn't afford rent and the monthly payments for the fine.

What's the justification for that? Surely he wouldn't have incurred damages like that unless he was uploading/distributing?
- - - - - - - -
When I think of the perpetual journey through life
When it always feels like autumn
The wind moves slowly to the north
And the flowers die
Rain falls in my dreams

- - - - - - - -
The problem is that the industry is given free reign to decide what an infringement is worth. You see in America reports of people downloading a few albums and then getting sued for $10,000 a song despite now sharing anything. It's becoming more similar over in the UK as time goes by.
Page 1 of 2