dannydawiz
Danny Gomez
3,503 IQ
I need help learning how to write the chords on the top of staves.

For example let's just say that we have some type of quartet. The 4 instruments all play a note of the same rhythmic figure that just so happens to be a Major 7 chord.

Would I write the major 7 chord on top of the staves of each instrument in the quartet?
6 Years In
4 Years To Go
rockingamer2
Larmarky Remark
408 IQ
No, they just play the note on the sheet music.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
dannydawiz
Danny Gomez
3,503 IQ
In what situations is it necessary to write the chords on the top of the staves?

For whatever reason some random external source of the years of my studying has led me to believe that writing the chords on top is always necessary.
6 Years In
4 Years To Go
dannydawiz
Danny Gomez
3,503 IQ
I see. How about in the context of a piece of music written for a solo piano instead of an ensemble?
6 Years In
4 Years To Go
rockingamer2
Larmarky Remark
408 IQ
Quote by dannydawiz
I see. How about in the context of a piece of music written for a solo piano instead of an ensemble?

Nope.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
dannydawiz
Danny Gomez
3,503 IQ
Alright I suppose I just won't worry about it. Thanks guys!
6 Years In
4 Years To Go
chronowarp
43 IQ
Write a chord...if a person playing would need to know the chord...aka their part isn't written, or they're improvising over a set of chords.