so my band is playing a battle of the bands on march 10th (at Le National in montreal if anyone is interested!!) and it's our first gig. In theory there should be 500-900 people watching. Top 5 go to finals, winners get studio time and distribution

We are confident in our playing abilities but there's a bunch of stuff that we need to think about...

such as selling tickets, working with gear I never really tried before (I have a choice between a jcm900 and a jcm2000), strange sound crews, potentially hostile or potentially friendly fellow bands, drunk bassists, PMS singers etc...

So post your own BotB adventures, pictures, videos, prizes, ripoffs etc.

Hopefully in a month I'll be able to relate my adventure in detail.
I've never had a battle of the bands because I've never been in a band.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
We went to the final round. Then we lost to a more boring (if that's even possible), instrumental version of Dream Theater, and some fat kid that went on stage and whined about being in second place.

On a side note, my girlfriend's band lost a BotB to a band that straight up ripped off the Aquabats entire set and claimed it was there own. Apparently no one listens to the Aquabats so it went relatively unnoticed.
Once my band competed in this online battle of the bands to play at Uproar festival. And we got the most number of votes in our region. But we were a metal band and they wanted a radio-friendly rock band, so they picked the guys who came in 6th. I was pretty pissed for like 2 months.
It was my privilege
My band was in a very small battle of the bands. One of our friend bands was in the contest as well, we were both metal bands. There were two classic rock bands and an acoustic guy. One of the classic rock bands was made up of 15 year olds who thought they were the shit and before the show kept telling me and my guitarist that they were going to "cream (the other metal band) and prove that those guys weren't the best thing in town." But the other metal band was made up of 25 year olds who were just doing it for fun. Some of the nicest guys I've met .

Anyway, we played third out of 5. We did meh. Our vocalist was off and our sound was sucky because of the shitty PA the youth center had. We came in 4th but we still made money, around 80 dollars I think.

The funny thing was that the jerky classic rock band told their friends to leave every time another band played except for them. We wanted the other metal band to win because they were killer. They ended up winning and the rock band came in 2nd. The drummer, the lead doucheface in the band, was pissed for 2 weeks, it was hilarious.

A fine time overall.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
My band played at 'Rockquest', NZ's equivalent of BotB. I was setting the levels on the DS-2 I was using for distortion as I was using clean and dirty sounds. The sound guy turned up the level of the mic even though the amp already had a loud clean sound. I went to slam an A power chord, but instead of hitting the open A and second fret D and G string, my fingers were on the first frets of both D and G strings. The most horrible sounding chord known to man shot out across an audience of about 300, stunning everyone. Talk about major screw up But it was the best gig our band ever played. Got to play two originals to the largest crowd we ever played at(:
Quote by metaldud536
Hey that's my story!

Nope, it's mine you tittering maud
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
I don't have a story yet. but my band is going to play in the best dutch coverbands edition, or some shit like that (we also write originals, but hey, what the **** ever :P)
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Quote by TheAscendant
My band played at 'Rockquest', NZ's equivalent of BotB. I was setting the levels on the DS-2 I was using for distortion as I was using clean and dirty sounds. The sound guy turned up the level of the mic even though the amp already had a loud clean sound. I went to slam an A power chord, but instead of hitting the open A and second fret D and G string, my fingers were on the first frets of both D and G strings. The most horrible sounding chord known to man shot out across an audience of about 300, stunning everyone. Talk about major screw up But it was the best gig our band ever played. Got to play two originals to the largest crowd we ever played at(:

I dunno, man. That chord sounds pretty cool.

There's quite a bit of tension going on that can be resolved pretty nicely if you end it with the actual A power chord.
Aww yeah. Totally man. If I hadn't been freaking out from nerves, I would have totally rocked with that tension and made the promo girls panties drop.

*Ahaha. Fully forgot to say that there were promo girls chucking out T-Shirts and merch in my first post.
Last edited by TheAscendant at Feb 15, 2013,
Quote by TheAscendant
Aww yeah. Totally man. If I hadn't been freaking out from nerves, I would have totally rocked with that tension and made the promo girls panties drop.

*Ahaha. Fully forgot to say that there were promo girls chucking out T-Shirts and merch in my first post.

Last battle of the bands at my high school we had a 4 piece band. One of the guitarists/singers didn't think we were ready so he backed out. We thought we could do it so we just had to change the lyrics to our original song that the guy who backed out wrote the lyrics. We ended up getting first place and from then on he was just out of the band
Gear:
Musicman Stingray 4 string HH
Tech 21 Sansamp Para Driver
Hartke 60W combo
Boss Loop

Gibson SG Standard
Vox AC15
Keeley comp
Crybaby Wah
I was in a BOTB a local radio station was putting on. The first prize was to open for goddamn Bon Jovi at the god-forsaken Man City stadium (about 50,000 people). It was supposed to be for local unsigned bands. We got all the way to the final three bands and this band rocks up. They were clearly neither local nor unsigned. Leather pants. Big Hair. Huge decorated van. All their top-of-the-range gear in heavy-duty flight cases. They were a right arrogant bunch of cunts too.

We did have a secret weapon though. Given that we were actually local, we brought about 100 down to the tiny venue the final was held in, which was enough to pack the place. One of the other bands brought a few people down, and the hair metallers didn't bring anyone, because they were from god-knows-where. The whole crowd went mental while we were playing.

Needless to say, they won and we came second and missed out on the chance to play a stadium. What makes it worse is that the band are now starting to get quite big and every time I see them, I want to punch them. That band were Heavens Basement. They're on the motherfuckin' front page of UG this very day.

Here's a video of the event, featuring the one-and-only Johnny Ibanez on lead guitar at 1:48. The third place band don't feature in the vid.

http://youtu.be/W63UJ4TlU_I

Not bitter though.

Not even bothered m8.
OK. I've posted this before so some of you may already have read it, but I think it's worth repeating it here.

So back in 1987 I was in a punk/metal crossover band called The Filth Patrol. We had a 6'8" guitarist called Lurch and a 5'2" guitarist called Aidy Virus, a drummer called Diggle, and a bassist called Dom (Dominic Brunt) who went on to play 'Paddy' in the British soap opera 'Emmerdale'.

I was the singer and the only guy in the band with any experience at that point.

So, anyway, we'd seen an advert that went something like;
'Bands wanted for Battle of the Bands!'
We'd already done several battle of the bands type gigs and we always ended up coming second to a group called 'Slag'. Slag were the local glam rock band of the time.

Anyhow, I digress, I rang this guy up about a spot in this battle of the bands thing and he actualy said to me 'Erm, I don't suppose you know anything about how you run one of these do you? Only, I've never done one before. If you help me out and show me how to organise one, I'll fix it so that you win.'
The prize money was £300, and we were lucky if we got paid at all for a gig in those days.
I thought about the moral implications of this for about half a second and agreed to it, as long as he didn't tell the rest of my band or anyone else.
On the night, everyone (including Slag) was firm in the belief that Slag would win yet another battle of the bands and they were even standing up to walk to the stage as the winner was being announced, when the announcer said 'Filth Patrol'
The place was in shock, but it was a popular decision and the crowd went wild. Our two mishapen guitarists were on their way out of the door of the building because they had assumed that Slag had won as well and they had to be chased after by someone and told the news.
We did our encore, collected the cash and partied for the resr of the night, and the guys in the band were riding high off that result for months afterward.
And erm, I er....never actualy got around to telling them that I'd fixed the competition.
So, for all the years since then, they all thought they'd won because they were the best band there that night, but it was me, I did it, and if any of you guys are reading this, I'm sorry....

.... but you must admit, it was a DAMN good party.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Feb 17, 2013,