Jukle
416 IQ
I currently used Ernie Ball Beefy (.11) on my guitar, and I'm going to be changing them soon; so I was wondering what other brands there are that are good/better than what I am using.

I tend to detune to C and B a lot, btw.
progdude93
Banned
380 IQ
I like Dean Markley Blue Steel LTHBs, but I don't think the strings are TOO important for playing metal. If you can't make do with the strings you have, I think you've got other issues.
Jukle
416 IQ
Quote by progdude93
I like Dean Markley Blue Steel LTHBs, but I don't think the strings are TOO important for playing metal. If you can't make do with the strings you have, I think you've got other issues.

I'm pretty happy with the strings I currently use, but I was just wondering if any other types of strings will make a difference at all.
progdude93
Banned
380 IQ
Different strings can have different feels, but it's down to preference and it won't make too much of a difference.

EDIT: the main difference will be if they interfere with your pickups or not. For some reason, the Dean Markleys didn't work too well with my EMGs....
Oosh.
UG's Noob Guitar Painter
525 IQ
Ernie Ball Cobalts are good. Google 'em.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
Jukle
416 IQ
Quote by Oosh.
Ernie Ball Cobalts are good. Google 'em.

What's the difference between Cobalt Beefy and regular Beefy?
Prophecy69
134 IQ
Dunlop Heavy Core. Theyre made specifically for drop tuning, and they sound great for metal tones.
stonyman65
Unregistered User
809 IQ
Quote by Prophecy69
Dunlop Heavy Core. Theyre made specifically for drop tuning, and they sound great for metal tones.

This. Basically what they do is take regular gauges (say, 10-46) and raise the lower strings 3 gauges up (so 10-46 would now be 10-49)

It works great to add some extra tension on the low strings while still retaining the same tension on the higher strings.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
cip 123
546 IQ
Kerly strings, sound great for ages and I found they had more tension than other strings i use 10's and i can go down to drop B still pretty tight.
bburritt1
Sauron Hates EMG's......
188 IQ
Quote by Jukle
What's the difference between Cobalt Beefy and regular Beefy?

Cobalt uses a special coating that make them last longer and have a little bit more grab to them then the regular beefy's. Found that EB's work very well with EMG's. For some reason they actually make sonic love with those pickups.
The Rig of Joy:
Stiff Amplification Dirthead 20w
Bugera 2x12 Cab
Fender Partscaster Korean Made
Epiphone Prophecy
Washburn Southern Cross 34 of 100
Ibanez TS9,AD9,GCB95, Multi Chorus and TU2
progdude93
Banned
380 IQ
Quote by stonyman65
This. Basically what they do is take regular gauges (say, 10-46) and raise the lower strings 3 gauges up (so 10-46 would now be 10-49)

It works great to add some extra tension on the low strings while still retaining the same tension on the higher strings.

They're called LTHBs (light top heavy bottom). Many brands do that.
Jukle
416 IQ
About pickups, I'm using a $250 Viper-50, and it still has the stock pickups in them. (ESP LH-150's)
Dnouw
Tab Contributor
342 IQ
I've switched to EB cobalts and have been loving them. Seem to have extended life if kept clean using fast fret or some other string and neck cleaner.
griffin888
65 IQ
I didn't like the Cobalts personally. Don't really know why...I kept them on for about a month, and then switched back to regular Slinkys.
griffin888
65 IQ
Quote by captainsnazz
The brootalest metal strings are made from the tendons of a recently slaughtered swine (preferably in a trve satanic pentagram).

Are swine br00tal enough? Maybe something like a mammoth would be more appropriate.
Greed18
228 IQ
Quote by Jukle
I currently used Ernie Ball Beefy (.11) on my guitar, and I'm going to be changing them soon; so I was wondering what other brands there are that are good/better than what I am using.

I tend to detune to C and B a lot, btw.

D'addario XL EXL140(10-52) is good for drop C and B.
If you want more tension Use D'addario XL EXL117(11-56). D'addario strings are brighter, and last a bit longer in my opinion.
My Gear
Peavey Ultra Plus
Ibanez RGA42FM with EMG 81/85 with 18 volt mod
Marshall Valvestate VS102R
Ibanez TS9
Schecter C1FR
MXR M-109 EQ
EspTro
3,642 IQ
ive been going with dunlop strings for a while now. theyre pretty good.
when i variate, i switch to ghs's
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
stonyman65
Unregistered User
809 IQ
Quote by progdude93
They're called LTHBs (light top heavy bottom). Many brands do that.

Dunlop does it a little differently. They have the LTHB strings too, but they also have the Heavy Core. The specific gauges of each string are a little different than usual.

http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/Electric-Guitar-Strings

http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/heavy-core-guitar-strings
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
bburritt1
Sauron Hates EMG's......
188 IQ
Me likey the Dunlop. 42-9 ive always wanted to try the gibbons 38-8 just to see if the pinch harmonics would be more beard like.
The Rig of Joy:
Stiff Amplification Dirthead 20w
Bugera 2x12 Cab
Fender Partscaster Korean Made
Epiphone Prophecy
Washburn Southern Cross 34 of 100
Ibanez TS9,AD9,GCB95, Multi Chorus and TU2
MaaZeus
431 IQ
Quote by Prophecy69

Another vote for Dunlop Heavy Cores. They sound and feel really good. And they are cheap! They have an interesting attribute that they feel slightly more tense than most other strings of same size. IE its set of Heavy Core "Heavy" set of 10 feel like they are between 11 and 10 in tension. Is it a special attribute or are they just 10.5 thick in reality, no idea but it feels good.

Only thing I hope they would have a set more suitable for B standard and Drop A. Their Heavy Core "Heaviest" 12-54 are close but just does not cut it (Work really well with C and Drop B). They have written themselves into a corner by calling that set "Heaviest", so if they ever introduce Heavy Core strings for baritone tunings what would they call it? Br00tziest?

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Feb 16, 2013,
Rauvounous
Searching for DONUTS!
382 IQ
I used to use Ernie Ball Super Slinky's but now I use D'Addario XL (10-49) and I love them, although the Ernie Ball's felt nicer for bends the D'Addario's feel better overall to me
2PtDescartes
10 IQ
Quote by bburritt1
Me likey the Dunlop. 42-9 ive always wanted to try the gibbons 38-8 just to see if the pinch harmonics would be more beard like.

Yup, Dunlop 9's are my favorite as well. I play 10's as well, usually on Gibson scale or Floyd rose axes.

I heard Beard plays 7's. They sell a signature set.