Cb4rabid
K♦️
2,628 IQ
Ok so the wifi in my room is complete garbage. Any tips on how to make it better? My laptop gets like 2-3 bars at the most and it is CONSTANTLY going down. My ipod doesn't get better signal either.

The router is about 60-70 feet away from my room, as it's in my parents room because he can't put it in my room for reasons unknown. I swear, Taco Bell has better wifi than I do. It's shit. Any help?
pinga
beefcake122
no fun.
350 IQ
Run ethernet cords through your house, that's what I do. Or run another router from the first one a little closer to your room. Wireless repeaters are shit, don't even bother with them.
sunbather is shit
guitarmaniac88
Procrastinate & Dominate!
650 IQ
^ Ethernet isn't a bad idea to try, it would probably help. I tried 2 routers though, and one just overpowered the other and made the other one stop working, one at a time.

If you use your Ipod and laptop at the same time, THAT'S why it's so slow. My internet is SUPER slow, about 25 kbps, when my friend used to live with me and had an Ipod using it, it averaged about 10 kbps with the computer or Xbox, we can't use more than one device at once to get anything done.

I've heard lining a bowl with aluminum foil and setting the Ipod in it helps, but I don't really know.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
Last edited by guitarmaniac88 at Feb 15, 2013,
Cb4rabid
K♦️
2,628 IQ
I'm trying to stay away from having a wired connection. I bought a laptop for a reason, dammit.
pinga
beefcake122
no fun.
350 IQ
Quote by guitarmaniac88
^ Ethernet isn't a bad idea to try, it would probably help. I tried 2 routers though, and one just overpowered the other and made the other one stop working, one at a time.

If you use your Ipod and laptop at the same time, THAT'S why it's so slow. My internet is SUPER slow, about 25 kbps, when my friend used to live with me and had an Ipod using it, it averaged about 10 kbps with the computer or Xbox, we can't use more than one device at once to get anything done.

I've heard lining a bowl with aluminum foil and setting the Ipod in it helps, but I don't really know.

I tried that with a usb wifi thing, not sure if it really helped at all but it didn't hurt anything. Until I was almost 18 we had 19-26 kbps lol, it sucks ass.
sunbather is shit
Cb4rabid
K♦️
2,628 IQ
Quote by guitarmaniac88

Turned the ipod wifi off, still just as shit as before. Also my house has 2 routers in the hopes that it would make the signal stronger and it didn't do jack.
pinga
Joshua Garcia
Joshole
5,843 IQ
Mines goes down a lot too. Even weirder, last time we had an electrician come by, he said it always drops around 2 p.m.. [Insert crazy conspiracy theory here]
Quote by Hal-Sephira
Have anybody went on high lately?
v Smash dat mf
beefcake122
no fun.
350 IQ
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Mines goes down a lot too. Even weirder, last time we had an electrician come by, he said it always drops around 2 p.m.. [Insert crazy conspiracy theory here]

You don't have time warner do you? I live in northeast Ohio and everyone I know that has time warner will get dropped for anywhere from a few seconds to a few hours. It's completely random; sometimes it's just once or twice a month, then it will happen for an entire day or two.
sunbather is shit
VillainousLatin
UG Newbie
317 IQ
I bought an antenna called alfa awus036h because my laptop's internal one stopped working. This one is actually very good, I can stream videos easily, download stuff at normal speeds with the occasional drop in signal but normally they are very brief. Also it has great range too.
Cb4rabid
K♦️
2,628 IQ
Also, idk if this is relevant or not, but I notice that watching youtube videos without fail is next to impossible. It'll load a few seconds at a time, has horrid buffer rates and sometimes the video will refuse to play. ****ing annoying
pinga
Joshua Garcia
Joshole
5,843 IQ
Quote by beefcake122
You don't have time warner do you?

Actually, yes. Yes we do. =/
Quote by Hal-Sephira
Have anybody went on high lately?
v Smash dat mf
guitarmaniac88
650 IQ
Quote by Cb4rabid
Also, idk if this is relevant or not, but I notice that watching youtube videos without fail is next to impossible. It'll load a few seconds at a time, has horrid buffer rates and sometimes the video will refuse to play. ****ing annoying

How fast is your internet service? Our computer can get up to like 100 MBPS or something, but we pay enough to only get 26 kbps. Youtube on here takes about twice as long as the video is to fully load.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
muffinduck01
UG's BBW Lover
192 IQ
Get a Wi-Fi repeater. I use one in my room with the router downstairs in my living room. I was getting about 400 KB/s from the router, but that jumped up to 1.6 MB/s with the repeater. It was like $20 as well, so a good investment overall.
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
guitarmaniac88
650 IQ
Quote by muffinduck01
Get a Wi-Fi repeater. I use one in my room with the router downstairs in my living room. I was getting about 400 KB/s from the router, but that jumped up to 1.6 MB/s with the repeater. It was like $20 as well, so a good investment overall.

I would love even 400 kb/s on this PC.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
guitarmaniac88
650 IQ
Quote by Blacknoise
You're 60-70 feet away from your router? How ****ing big is your house?

I actually just noticed this, it must be pretty monster to have a router that far away.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
Extra Ordinary
Meh
197 IQ
Quote by muffinduck01

Is that slow or fast? Mine says 144Mbps and it's fine, but I don't even know how to check or if I'm even looking at the right thing.
WCPhils
UnBanned
731 IQ
Quote by Blacknoise
You're 60-70 feet away from your router? How ****ing big is your house?

That's not that far....
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
beefcake122
no fun.
350 IQ
Quote by WCPhils
That's not that far....

going through walls/floor weakens the signal though
sunbather is shit
Laimbo
19 IQ
Having better Wifi signal won't increase the speed on your internet. Your youtube videos take a long time to load because the speed your paying for from your ISP is slow. Wifi is pretty much on or off. As long as you get a connection you get full speed, but if your only getting 1-2 bars it could be dropping out. If your router is older is could be 802.11g which has significantly less range than a new 802.11n model. Or you could try an higher gain antenna if your router has a removable one. Or a range extender can work.
muffinduck01
UG's BBW Lover
192 IQ
Quote by Extra Ordinary
Is that slow or fast? Mine says 144Mbps and it's fine, but I don't even know how to check or if I'm even looking at the right thing.

It's fast for a real world test. I was just quoting my download speeds in Steam really.

As for that speed quote up there, that's in megaBITS. not megaBYTES which is what I was measuring my speed in. ISPs advertise their speeds in megabits because they have an 8:1 ratio (Meaning they make their speeds look 8 times faster then they really are.)

Use http://speedtest.net/ to find out your real internet speed.
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
Extra Ordinary
Meh
197 IQ
Quote by muffinduck01
It's fast for a real world test. I was just quoting my download speeds in Steam really.

As for that speed quote up there, that's in megaBITS. not megaBYTES which is what I was measuring my speed in. ISPs advertise their speeds in megabits because they have an 8:1 ratio (Meaning they make their speeds look 8 times faster then they really are.)

Use http://speedtest.net/ to find out your real internet speed.

Damn and I thought I was special.
Dirge Humani
Tyler
282 IQ
Put an aluminum foil dish shaped object behind the router so that it will reflect in the direction of your room.
Quote by Hydra150
I tried to open the kitchen door and accidentally turned the light off instead

now googling "how to pasta"
zdh
45 IQ
You can try going into your router settings to see if you can increase the signal output.
Danjo's Guitar
UG's Math/Physics Major
995 IQ
At home my parents still have dial-up. Its technically 65kbps, but downloading or uploading I can never get more than 5kbps, haha. (I don't know if its kBps or kbps.)
thenextkirk92
We're Here
2,170 IQ
Quote by Danjo's Guitar
At home my parents still have dial-up. Its technically 65kbps, but downloading or uploading I can never get more than 5kbps, haha. (I don't know if its kBps or kbps.)

65KiloBITS per second not kilobytes. 5 kilobytes is normal for dialup.
edgy meems only friendo :^)
Rawshik
Homophobic Racist
2,276 IQ
Quote by stratman_13
Get on my level.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2511868977.png

Get a router.

You know how you can pay more for better connection from your ISP? That might be worth looking into. Seriously, ever since we did that I've had 100% perfect internet.
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
stratman_13
666lb bongsession
2,092 IQ
Quote by Rawshik
You know how you can pay more for better connection from your ISP? That might be worth looking into. Seriously, ever since we did that I've had 100% perfect internet.

I live in literally the middle of nowhere. Took us six months a while back just to get DSL through Verizon.

The big housing developments around here have decent internet (usually ~5-10Mbps), but as for the small neighborhoods that are kinda just off the beaten path (like mine) we pretty much get ****ed over because they can't make enough money to justify running the lines.

So I have to deal with it until I move out or King William decides to urbanize. Which will never happen.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
guitarmaniac88
650 IQ

This is just awful. I swear my parents are cheapskates and they have plenty of money not to be.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
Last edited by guitarmaniac88 at Feb 18, 2013,
eGraham
Rattle That Lock
1,567 IQ
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Actually, yes. Yes we do. =/

My mom has Time Warner cable internet, and there's never been an issue with connectivity. She bought a new router recently and can't set it up right, but that's not their fault.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
ProphetToJables
Tight Tight Tight
1,529 IQ
Why don't you pay for the internet yourself Guitarmaniac?
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
guitarmaniac88
650 IQ
Quote by ProphetToJables
Why don't you pay for the internet yourself Guitarmaniac?

No job, I've been looking, applied to some places, but it's unlikely anyone will be hiring until spring where the tourists actually feel like coming to town. Hopefully I'll get a job at the diamond mine, I've already turned in an application, tourists will probably come to dig for diamonds starting around spring break. Small town Arkansas is a hard place to find a job at, this town would be dead without the diamond mine and the Indian Village.

I would totally help pay a little for faster internet, but I still need to do some major saving. I want to have my own place during my short time at college, and I'll need a job for that, hopefully I'll get quite a bit of excess scholarship money back to help too.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156