Couple of common mistakes.

Too much distortion.
Too much compression.

During the Double time lick in between the verses/ pre-chorus, you were concentrating on simply playing the notes rather than keeping the groove.

Gotta play fast & with the groove.

As for the solo, I don't even think Vernon Reid ever played it the same twice, so I wouldn't worry about improvising.
Something fast and impressive is all the song needs, Which you delivered.

Gotta good beat, I can dance to it........

BTW I can help you out with Effects pedal ordering.
Thanks for your input. Yeah I just got a digitech rp 355 not too long ago and I am having trouble getting a decent sound out of it, any help would be great.
The RP355, is a great pedal, I have one. Actually it's what I use 99% of the time now. I go direct to the mixer, I don't even bring an amp any more. Plus the RP is cheap enough now I'm probably gonna get a second one as backup.

You have to remember the order of Effects is the same when using a multi-pedal as when ordering a pedal board/rack unit.

you have to be aware of

Pre amp - Stuff the guitar is plugged into & effects the signal BEFORe the amp.
&
Post Amp - Sound Effects that take effect after the amp and before the speakers. (commonly known on amps and mixers as EFFECTS LOOP.

When building a patch, Think of the sound you want as a final product.
Billy Gibbons: Mid-range fat grind?
Joe Satch: Compressed, chorused & delayed?
Brian May: Creamy brit distortion.

There are a lot of Guitar Rig walk through's on Premier Guitar's youtube channel.

Research first, Then Patch build.

For Vernon Reid; You gots some issues right off the hop: He has always used a LOT off effects. Also he uses amps and Cabinets that a lot of players do not.

He uses, (now) Crate amps with 4x12 cabinets
Roland and Boss multi-effects units and stand alone pedals all in one massive chain.

But to play this one song it's easy to strip it all down.
After watching a video of him playing the song live (LIve is always better)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTjKWq9Gges

You can clearly see 2 Mesa Boogie 4x12's in the back behind Reid.

So start your patch build there:
01 Mesa Boogie Dual rectifier (it's in the RP already)
I'd leave the gain about 50-60% so that any distortion pedal I chose has an effect

Then your Pre-amp effects.
Pickup simulator - defaulted to off, this is where I'd leave it unless you're trying to get a weird sound from your humbuckers

Wah - will be defaulted to crybaby. change it if you want.

Compressor - Some players swear by it, some swear at it (I am in the latter group, I hate it)
If you are going to use it, make sure you set it properly: Here is a good tutorial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMSCKz4GRZY

Distortion.
The 3 I like the most on the RP is the Boss OD-1 and Digitech Redline, & the Tube Screamer.
Or Use the Amps distortion. remember, a little goes a long way. Recording is unforgiving, so record yourself, listen back and make adjustments.

EQ: This one is vital
Really take time to play with the Eq settings. rolling the highs down slightly can make a massive amount of difference in your sound output.

Post Amp Effects: (Effects loop)
Noise gate:
I love these.
Being a single coil kind of guy, these make life wonderful for me. I can crank the volume without ear bleeding hum or squeal.

Adjust settings as desired.

Chorus/FX: For this patch I would not use any.
Delay: I would add a little delay in the solo sections as it really fills out the sound.

Reverb: I would use spring reverb at around 30%
Expression pedal; assign this to your master volume. (read the manual on how to do that)

Save your settings in one of the user patches, & I always put the unit in Stompbox mode, so it operates like 3 stomps & a wah pedal.

Then it's select patch before playing a given song, put into stompbox mode, then play way.

Good luck.

BTW; There's lots of free pre-made patches available at digitech's website for the RP355:
http://www.digitech.com/en-US/products/rp355

Go there and click on the tab: TONE LIBRARY
Free downloadable patches you can add to your unit with the X-Edit Software that came with it.