So I just got an Eleven Rack, and it's pretty much an amp (has no speakers) that let's me change my guitars tone however I want. So it has a bunch of different amps, speaker cabinets, mics, pedals etc. and it lets me plug them in however I want and mess around with them as if I physically owned all of the said pedals, amps, etc. (similar to a digitech) It also comes with pro tools and has an audio interface on it. So I'm looking for some good speakers/an amp to go with it so I don't have to play on headphones anymore. But that got me wondering, what would I call something that does all that? Would that be an amp emulator? A preamp? what's the difference between the two? I tried googling that to figure it out, but that just made me more confused, and it brought up even more terms that I didn't know. So pretty much what I'm asking is, what are the difference between preamps, amp emulators and amps. What are the difference between speakers, amplifiers and loudspeakers? Which one of those do I have, and what kind of speakers should I get with my eleven rack? Thanks all in advance.
Quote by lemurflames
You can get a power amp and a cab. You can also get powered PA monitors.

On the expensive side, Atomic offers a cab with a built-in power amp: http://www.atomicamps.com/products.htm

Yea, active cab, a cab+power amp, or active studio monitors would all be good choices.
Legion!
Original 1969 Fender Jazzmaster
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
ESP/LTD SN-1000
Jackson Stars Kelly "Aiko"
Ormsby SX6 prototype
Dingwall NG-2 "Kimmy"
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
EVH 5153
Quote by lemurflames
You can get a power amp and a cab. You can also get powered PA monitors.

On the expensive side, Atomic offers a cab with a built-in power amp: http://www.atomicamps.com/products.htm

The Tech 21 power engine is basically the same thing as the atomic, but at ~$250-$300. They make 2 versions a 60 watt 1x12 and a 60 watt 2x12
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
to clarify a bit further, just in case, you need:

A speaker cab- this houses your speakers. Given that your amp already has a cab simulator, you don't necessarily need a guitar cab. any decent PA speaker cabinet will be fine. An active cabinet is one that already has the power amp built in, while a passive one needs a power amp.

Power amp- provides power for the whole operation (unnecessary with a powered cab). a smallish-100 to 250 watt- power amp would be fine. you would plug your eleven rack (which is essentially a pre-amp) into the power amp, which would then drive the speakers. remember, any cable coming out of a power amp MUST be a SPEAKER cable, not an instrument cable.

you don't need a pre-amp, as your eleven rack essentially is one.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things...