simple, i'm loking for the best free DAW to mix songs.

thanks
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke
Isn't really one Reaper has a long trial but cost $60. Save a dollar a day and have it in no time.
Krystal Audio is pretty much the ONLY free daw, but it's pretty limited.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Reaper is my DAW of choice, period.
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Studio One Free - lovely to use but too limited
Kristal Audio Engine - pretty damned good
Ardour - excellent but crap MIDI support, Linux/Mac only
Reaper - fantastic, but the UI is a bit awkward and it's only a trial
LMMS - pretty powerful but the GUI is horrible
Quote by kyle62
Studio One Free - lovely to use but too limited
Kristal Audio Engine - pretty damned good
Ardour - excellent but crap MIDI support, Linux/Mac only
Reaper - fantastic, but the UI is a bit awkward and it's only a trial
LMMS - pretty powerful but the GUI is horrible

The UI is easily changed with reaper. I had it working EXACTLY like Pro Tools for a while.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I use the stock UI of Reaper and it's the most intuitive DAW software I've come across, aside from Logic... but I don't have OSX

It's all what you make of it, and how it works for your workflow.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
People saying REAPER, it's not actually free. If you wont pay $60 for such a great bit of kit then they're something wrong with you.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by oneblackened
The UI is easily changed with reaper. I had it working EXACTLY like Pro Tools for a while.

And Pro Tools has a horrible workflow too.....god, I hate PT so much.

I've just started testing out a setup with Reaper running White Tie Imperial across dual 26" monitors. It's a thing of beauty!

Quote by kyle62

I've just started testing out a setup with Reaper running White Tie Imperial across dual 26" monitors. It's a thing of beauty!

I've found his Brawn Bespoke theme to be quite nice too, especially for someone working with less screen real estate (single 1280x1024 monitor anyone?)
"THAT IS REAPER?!" - yes, if you download a skin and modify the UI... but I imagine most DAW's can do this now, or at least a few others

Anyway, it's largely based on personal opinion - I completely disagree with Kyle about the Pro Tools UI in some aspects... I wouldn't enjoy mixing on it (I much prefer Logic for that, over anything else I've seen), but I think Pro Tools has the best tools and layout for editing audio that are around. The mutli-tool itself is a thing of genius, and it makes tracking very simple compared to most DAW's, although I think overall I'm still a Logic fan as I started out using it and it has been the one that makes sense to my eyes the most, ever since then.

It's all about what you learnt on and got used to though - if your DAW has a different way of doing simple things, to another DAW, and you try to switch you're obviously going to be frustrated at first because you are having to relearn some everyday commands and that is enough to put people off DAW's at first.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
"THAT IS REAPER?!" - yes, if you download a skin and modify the UI... but I imagine most DAW's can do this now, or at least a few others

I wish! None of the DAWs I've ever worked with except REAPER are themable, more than slight colour tweaks.

If only Studio One could be customised....I love it, but those short-throw faders drive me nuts!
I dunno but god DAMN I wish I'd gone for the 1080p screen option on my laptop.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by kyle62

What is there to hate ?

I found PT was the same as reason/record and reaper
I like PT because everything you need to access is in the track and channel views
and the quality of effects etc is of a high standard.

the only other DAW I've used was cubase and sonar and I'm not a fan because the track input/ouputs and midi were in a strange places and had odd workflow.

reaper is cool due to ..( well alot ) but the custom interfaces do lift it.

so what didn't you like in PT and what do you love in Studio One or reaper over it ?
Last edited by T4D at Feb 18, 2013,
Quote by kyle62

But Pro Tools is the industry standard, how can you hate it?</sarcasm>

After using Pro Tools for 5+ years, everything else looks foreign to me. Though I can understand its complicated for those who don't use it regularly.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
as far as software goes PT has everything in a logical place just like reason and reaper for me anyway ,. I can not think what else is needed ?

and the workflow ..? setting up tracks and pressing record,. what else is needed & where should it be ?

I work in 3D animation software all day,.now there's software that has real logic and workflow differences between packages, but I'm a fair newbie to DAW software compared to the tools of my day job,

So I am interested in what PT is doing that you dislike since it seems you have been doing this longer then me.
Last edited by T4D at Feb 19, 2013,
I don't think Pro Tools is bad, I just could never justify the insane price of a licence when there are so many little things that annoy me!

- You can't use your scroll wheel while over a control to make fine adjustments or double click to center
- Switching between mixer and track view is a two handed key combination
- Opening the asio panel for any reason forces you to restart the program
- No contextual awareness in any of the tools so you have to switch back and forth
- Generally counterintuitive and relies heavily on obscure keyboard shortcuts
- Extremely limited choice of free/cheap plugins
- Ugly and cramped interface
- Limited track count
- Uses a ton of system resources for mediocre performance

Pro Tools is popular because it's popular.

The integrated systems and advanced editing are still a good solution for pro studios where the bulk of the work is done on the console/outboard, and it's a powerful tool once you learn all of its idiosyncrasies. However, I don't understand why anyone would choose PT for a home/project studio.
Quote by kyle62

- You can't use your scroll wheel while over a control to make fine adjustments or double click to center
( a control interface will give you alot more "fine adjustment"control )

- Opening the asio panel for any reason forces you to restart the program
( only if you change something ? tho agree it is a little tiresome sometimes)

- Ugly and cramped interface
- Switching between mixer and track view is a two handed key combination
( 2/ 27' monitors fixes that issues completely)

- Extremely limited choice of free/cheap plugins
( yeah agree that does suck )

- Limited track count
96 tracks not enough ?

I only see these, None of the others i care about.

Quote by kyle62

Pro Tools is popular because it's popular..

well that's just capitalism for you and the computer industry being 20+ years old.

it's the reason

Microsoft office is King of office tools
Adobe Photoshop is King of image editing
AutoCAD etc is the king in Drafting and Design
Max and Maya are the kings of 3D Animation
Final Cut is the king of Video editing ( well there's a battle on this one )

If you want to get a job in the recording industry You have to suck it up and use it. or if you want to leave open the option to move into later.

Sure you can use Libra office, Gimp, Vector works, Softimage, Avid DS, or Sonar, Cubase, Logic etc but you are going to find it harder in the industry, unless you run your own studio and don't have to transfer your files anywhere...

Reaper is a prefect Entry into DAW and not everyones wants to move up into the recording industry, & most given the change would prefer to just to Pay a PT monkey run for them if they had the chance to record there own album.
Last edited by T4D at Feb 19, 2013,
We're getting into that subjective argument thing again. T4D just accept he doesn't like it and move on. No one is forced to like any one thing here and unless there is objective truth behind it.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by ChemicalFire
We're getting into that subjective argument thing again. T4D just accept he doesn't like it and move on. No one is forced to like any one thing here and unless there is objective truth behind it.

No no,. I'm not saying anyone is using the wrong anything, I did not wave any PT Flags

just interested what his dislike for PT was, and wanted to know the details ( I'm coming from Sonar and Reason I found PT similar workflow just had to learn it, Just like Reaper)

In my reply I agreed more with kyle62 and just said why i do not see the same issues.

No need to twist this into something else.
I wouldn't point you to free DAWs but there are quite a few relatively cheap ones that work great (links to reviews):

N-Track
http://www.houstonmusicreviews.com/GearReview/n-track/n-track.htm

Energy XT2.5
http://www.houstonmusicreviews.com/GearReview/energyXT/energyXT2.5.htm

Mixcraft
http://www.houstonmusicreviews.com/GearReview/Mixcraft5/Mixcraft5.htm

For the price I think Mixcraft is very well laid out but all 3 of these are very powerful and can do a full production as much as any of the big guys.
I've been using Reaper. 60 day free trial. I've been using it for free for last few weeks. It is only like $60 for license, so I'll probably buy it when my free trial runs out. I've read that Reaper does NOT deactivate when free trial ends, so you can theoretically keep using it for free forever if you are so inclined. I'm not sure if that's accurate, just something I read somewhere. And, of course, I don't recommend that sort of thing, as I think it's somewhat unethical. But I guess if you EVENTUALLY pay for it, maybe it's sort of like borrowing rather than stealing?

Ken
I do like Reaper's protection scheme. Unlike most of the other DAW makers that criminalize you as a legitimate buyer, they actually have no frills deal which I really like. Unlike other DAWs that kick you out when THEY decide to cut their support and it won't install, like when Cubase kicked me to the curb like a dirty dog. Interesting marketing btw on their behalf - I didn't purchase another Cubase product since and I've spent quite a bit of money.